I have a confession: I am not a huge fan of maple. If I have a choice between maple syrup and Buttermilk Syrup, I’ll choose the Buttermilk Syrup every time. I don’t even really like the smell of it; it reminds me of icky babies that need a bath (don’t ask–anyone who’s spent any in-person time with me will tell you that I have a very irrational sense of smell).

My exception? Maple bars. I love maple bars. They remind me of my dad and the occasional Sunday School hooky-playing when we’d have a quick maple bar and Diet Coke before we headed back to the rest of church.

A few weeks ago, I was browsing cookbooks on Amazon (because it is way too hard to do any effective cookbook browsing when I have kids with me) and stumbled across a cookbook from Top Pot Doughnuts, one of my favorite doughnut shops in Seattle. I had to snatch up a copy and then when it came, I started making a list of the recipes I wanted to make. And then I realized I wanted to make everything. So I let my husband choose and he promptly threw the pumpkin doughnuts out the window (boo) and teetered between apple fritters and maple bars before deciding on the almighty bar. And we didn’t regret it.

I have to say a few things about this cookbook (and I have not been compensated in any way to say any of this) because it’s very rare that a cookbook knocks my socks off. I’ll admit that doughnut-making is a tiny bit daunting, and there aren’t a lot of shortcuts or easy outs in this book. However, the instructions are incredibly thorough–they use exact measurements (like ingredients by both weight and standard measurements) as well as tactile, practical cues (like descriptions of how the dough should look and feel). It makes doughnut-making a fun challenge rather than a scary endeavor. They take huge-scale recipes and professional methods and adapt them for home kitchens, which is a task in and of itself, and then they succeed, which is even more admirable. So if you’re looking for a fun little niche cookbook to keep you busy on rainy afternoons, I totally recommend this one.

Anyway. Unpaid Kate endorsement over. For the dough, you’ll need bread flour (which has more protein and helps the dough withstand the beating it’s about to take, plus it gives the doughnuts a great, airy texture with a nice chew to them), yeast, baking powder, egg  yolks, shortening, table salt, vanilla, and sugar. This recipe also called for mace, but I reeeeeally don’t like mace, so I left it out.

In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, combine warm water, a wee bit of sugar, and yeast. Lots of yeast. 3 tablespoons of yeast.

Don’t email me asking if it REALLY is 3 tablespoons of yeast because it really is. Patti, I can see the gears in your brain working all the way from Louisiana and I fully expect a smart-alecky comment/email at some point today. :)

While the yeast is proofing (check out this tutorial if you’re nervous about using yeast), whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and mace (if you’re using it).

When the yeast is bubbly and fragrant, add the shortening, egg yolks, and vanilla. Mix together with the paddle attachment on low or medium-low speed for about 1 minute. The shortening won’t be completely combined, but it will be broken up. Add approximately 1/3 of the dry ingredients mixture and mix on low until blended and then add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix until combined.

Switch the paddle attachment for the hook attachment and add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix on low until there aren’t any white spots remaining (see? That’s a line straight from the book and I love how specific it is!). Add enough flour so the dough comes together off the bottom of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and allow it to knead for 2 minutes. The dough should be smooth but tacky (again…I couldn’t have said it better!)

While the dough is kneading, begin bringing a large pot of water (a little over 2 quarts) to a boil.

Sprinkle a baking sheet with all-purpose flour…

and place the dough onto the pan.

Shape it into a 6×6″ square. Yes, I realize my square is not really a square. Geometry was never my strong suit. and cover it with a clean towel.

Sidenote: I love making yeast breads. I love kind of nudging and nurturing them along and I kind of feel like I’m tucking them in for a cozy little nap (before I cut, fry, and eat them).

Pop the pan into your oven. Place a 9×13″ dish underneath the pan of dough and pour the boiling water into the 9×13″ dish. This replicates an industrial proof box and it is not nearly as scary or work-intensive as it sounds.

Close the oven door and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour or until the dough is doubled. Remove the dough and the pan of water from the oven. Bring another large pot of water to a boil.

Roll the dough out into an 11×12″ rectangle, about 1/2″ thick. Use a pizza roller to trim about 1/2″ off each edge. I rolled mine out on a Roul’Pat and cutting on them is not cool, so I used a plastic pizza cutter and it was magic.

Cut the dough into 12 5×2″-ish rectangles.

Carefully slip the flat side of a flexible scraper (like this) under the long side of the dough rectangles to transfer them to a lightly floured baking sheet, spreading them about 1″ apart.

Place the pan(s) uncovered back into the oven and pour the boiling water back into the 9×13″ pan placed underneath the pans(s) of dough. Allow the dough to rise 30-45 minutes (or longer), until they have doubled.

When the dough is almost done rising, pour 2+ inches worth of peanut oil into a high-sided pan. If you can’t/don’t want to use peanut oil, you can use canola oil because they both have high smoke points, but canola oil can take on a fishy odor and flavor when it is cooked at high heats whereas peanut oil remains flavorless. Use a candy thermometer to measure the heat and when it reaches 350 degrees, use the flexible spatula to carefully remove the risen bars and place them in the oil (2-3 at a time–don’t crowd the pan!) Cook for about 30-40 seconds on one side or until light golden brown, then flip and cook for another 20 seconds or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels and repeat with the remaining dough, frying in batches of 2-3.

While the doughnuts are cooling, prepare the maple frosting.

Combine 1 lb. powdered sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoon table salt, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon maple extract, and 1/3 cup hot water (or more if needed). Whisk together until smooth.

Dip the domiest (yes, I totally just made that up) side of the cooled bars in the maple icing and smooth it out if necessary. Allow to dry for 10-15 minutes before eating. Welcome to the best doughnuts I’ve had in a looooong time (we’re lacking in the doughnut department in my particular neck of Louisiana).

Patti says:

Smart-alecky? Never! I’d just like to say that I am pretty sure the only thing mace is good for is defending yourself in a dark alley. I guess I could throw one of these bars at my attacker, provided there was mace in it.
    Looks amazing, Kate! There is a severe lack of donut shops around here as well.

These look incredible! I’ve never made doughnuts or fried anything but your directions are so precise that I think I’m willing to try this. Now I just need to round up a bunch of people to help me eat the doughnuts since I’m guessing they don’t keep well.

Mmm love the sound of these. Maple is my favorite.

Melissa says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! We have plenty of donut shops around here, but NONE of them serve maple bars! I couldn’t believe it when I moved here 10 years ago, maple bars are my absolute favorite. We finally got a Dunkin’ Donut and they have maple iced, but it is not the same as their donuts are just not as good. I’m gonna try this, even though it looks a bit time consuming! :)

I’ve been wanting to make doughnuts for a while now, and I think I might after reading about these!

Beth says:

yummy. a must try. (:

Peggy says:

My dad used to make these for us once in a blue moon! He was a professional cook who worked with LARGE crowds so having him cook at home was a rare treat!! And making donuts for our itty bitty family was a rare treat indeed! Thank you for reminding me of a lovely memory.

Mimi says:

I wish I could eat through the computer screen right now! These look so delicious! I’m always afraid to fry stuff in the kitchen, but I may have to try these. Like TODAY!

Tracy Lawson says:

Oh my, this looks so yummy. I love to make yeast breads as well so this right up my alley. Thanks for the share – yum!!!!!

Nicole Krell says:

Apple fritters and maple bars are my absolute favorite as well. Must definitely try this recipe… (after I finish my manuscript.)

JConnolly says:

I just have to tell you that I totally understand your maple syrup aversion. I’m actually slightly frightened of maple syrup. I know it sounds weird, but the whole runny and sticky combination, along with that smell that just won’t go away really grosses me out (and like I said, sort of scary…my boyfriend has actually chased through the house with maple syrup on his hand because he thought my reaction was so crazy). It’s definitely the smell that bothers me much more than the tast though. That being said, since the maple syrup is contained to the icing, I MIGHT be able to give these a try.

• Also, that truly sounds like my worst nightmare!

• JConnolly says:

Ok, so a late reply, and maybe you won’t even read this, but I had to tell you my TRUE biggest maple syrup nightmare. I used to sub as a TA at the local elementary school when I was in college, and my very first day I get there and they tell me that woman I am subbing for had breakfast duty that day (supervising the kids in the cafeteria during breakfast). So I go down to the cafeteria to report for duty, and guess what my job is? Yeah…I got to stand next a vat (a V-A-T) of (fake) maple syrup and ladle it onto the kids trays after they came through the line. I nearly died….and that’s all I have to say about that.

Natalie says:

oh my gosh…I am so making these.
    Question though–do you think you could use real maple syrup in place of the corn syrup and extract?

I’m not sure. One thing about the corn syrup is that when the icing dries, the corn syrup helps the icing firm up into a glaze (like our glace icing). I’m not sure if you get the same effect from real maple syrup. One other option is to hunt down some real maple flavoring (which I can’t find locally and would have to buy online) so you get the best of both worlds.

They look yummy, that said i haven’t tried maple syrup yet as the price puts me off. What is mace? i thought that was something you used to defend yourself but clearly it can’t be the same thing lol????

Check out Costco or Sam’s Club–I’ve found their prices for maple syrup to be much more reasonable!

As far as mace goes, it’s just a spice, kind of like a cross between cloves and nutmeg.

Jenni says:

The recipe says maple EXTRACT, which is not the same as maple syrup. Pure maple syrup is super expensive, but just plain old maple extract that you can find in any grocery store should not be.

Ailene Hert says:

*SQUEAL* I can’t believe you posted a recipe for this! These are my husbands favorites! Looks like I’ll have to whip up a surprise for him! :)

carrie Hatch says:

Hey, let me just say, I love you two’s web site and cookbook. I have recently come across a really fantastic recipe and was wondering if you guys wanted it! I wasn’t sure if you guys ever did guest bloggers, or if you did recipe submissions. Let me know! Thanks!

-Carrie

carrie Hatch says:

PS. These maple bars are to die for!

Erica Henson says:

Those look heavenly….I might need to invest in that cook book!

Alexis says:

I echo the mace comment by Kerridwen Niner. What in the world? Mace can be used for cooking? I thought it was not healthy to injest or even touch. Please enlighten us on the matter of cooking “mace”? Very confused. But on a side note, the donuts look amazing! I made the apple cider ones, I impressed my family and everyone at work. I mean, seriously, who makes donuts except a bakery?? Oh yeah, we do!! Thanks!

I can’t wait to try this recipe. I was reminded of my childhood and how I enjoyed my special treat – Maple Bars. I’ve been too long without one.

I LOVE Top Pot doughnuts, but only discovered it a little while before I moved from Seattle! I was so excited to make this recipe and add a strip of maple bacon on top, until I remembered I don’t have a kitchenaid and am too lazy to knead dough. Maybe I’ll work myself up to it or borrow a friend’s mixer :-)

These look great! Can’t wait to try them! What kind of shortening do you use?

Nicole says:

If you could see how buggy my eyes got after seeing this recipe. OH MAN. This looks DELICIOUS. Thanks for sharing!

Emilee says:

Oh my goodness. We live three hours away from a decent doughnut place. And maple bars are my favorite. I normally don’t like frying things, but I will make an exception for these.

Oh Kate Kate Kate…naughty! Maple bars are the coveted doughnut at our house, I will be making these soon. I think you should just cook your way through that book and do doughnut Fridays for the rest of the year :) Pretty pretty please do apple fritters next! And then Old Fashioned. C’mon, get going- I need me some doughnuts!

Heather Talley says:

I have to second the request for apple fritters! I may become the wife of the year if I learn how to make those for my husband! These sound so good right now, I will have to try them soon!

Patti says:

Sara, that’s a perfect idea! Come on, Kate, do it, do it, do it!

Melissa says:

I am so happy… or maybe I should be frightened. I adore maple bars. You may have just created a monster!

Molly says:

just when I’m back dedicated to counting calories…you post donuts!! We’ll – the morning has been good, but the evening is looking better and better! :) YUM! Thanks for sharing!

BertleMama says:

I love Maple doughnuts. Those were one of my ultimate favorites as a kid. These look soo good, but I can’t bring myself to fry anything like that. I just can’t do it. I’d been reduced to only making baked doughnuts, which, if we’re being honest, aren’t really doughnuts. Maybe someday… :)

They look delicious, perfect for fall! I love maple! These maple donuts were my donut of choice when I was little and my mom would let me pick one donut a week to eat! My sister doesn’t like maple either though.

Kristy says:

Ummm, you mean I can now make my most favorite donut ever?!?! These look fabulous!

JLSW says:

I TOTALLY agree with your feelings about the smell of maple syrup! Those little kids are usually on the bus I ride! But, my grandfather used to make maple syrup so I still love it! Especially maple syrup with pecans in it. I will be making these bars tomorrow!

No. Way. Maple bars are seriously on my last meal request list (they may or may not comprise 85% of the aforementioned list). You are both officially on my Christmas card list ;)

mjfluke says:

Hmmmm – humorous, dislikes maple, and strong, quirky sense of smell – sounds like me. And I, weirdly enough, enjoy an occasional maple bar as well. Odd how that works. Thanks for the recipe. I may give it a whirl if I can get the peanut oil since the fishy smell makes me prohibit deep frying in the house!

Dicentra says:

I totally want to go to Top Pot now! :)

If nothing else, mace LOOKS cool.

Pam says:

Homemade maple bars have got to beat the junk one gets in the donut shop. This sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.

Miranda L says:

YUM! My husband is not a sweets person but when it comes to Maple anything he LOVES it! I may have to try this as a special treat for him ASAP…..that is if I don’t eat them all before he gets home LOL!! =)

Oh my gosh… I think I just may have to make these. Seriously, I am not really a fan of doughnuts but the ones I like are maple bars and these sound out of this world.

KimH says:

If I ever get time one of these years, Im gonna do this.. How awesome! Im not a fan of maple much either, but if I were gonna make these, I’d be using real maple syrup which abounds in this area..

These look delicious. I love eating maple bars! I can’t wait to try them.

Nancy H. says:

Would you have a recipe for chocolate frosting. I really do not like maple bars.
    And yes, I do would like a recipe for apple fritters. Thanks for sharing .

Sue Lambrix says:

What is buttermilk syrup????

Chelsea says:

I cannot even tell you how excited I am for these! I love maple bars, they are my absolute favorite donut, and not super easy to find anymore. PLUS I can bake these in the oven which is great because I don’t have a fryer for donuts. My husband is going to be really sad that I found this recipe! Homemade donuts and hot chocolate sounds great for a winter night FHE treat!

Chelsea says:

Well, I guess I missed the frying part, but at least I can just do it on the stove. :)

Denae says:

I totally know what you mean about maple syrup and stinky babies! That is so weird you have the same association as me. I don’t despise maple flavored food, though. Is that weird? These look fabulous!

April says:

I have that exact same thought about the smell of maple syrup. I thought I must be nuts. I also love maple bars but little else maple.

cheeseburger says:

Wow! A real labor of love. Maple became one of my loves when I first had a maple coated cinnamon roll. We’re talking major yum.

Joe cooks says:

all it would take to make cinnamon rolls is to flatten the dough out to about 1/4″ spread melted butter or reallt soft butter on the dough. Mix 2Tbs cinnamon with 1/3 cup sugar (I use both regular sugar and brown sugar) shake it evenly over the dough then roll it up pressing the edge to keep it from unrolling/ Cut it into pieces about 1 in thick. heat your oven to 375 while the cinnamon rolls rise in buttered pan (You can use pam if you want it does work and I have) when oven is hot bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let the cool for5 – 10 minutes and if you want use the glaze recipe listed above. You might get some carmel in a tub there’s one out for apple slices to be dipped in it. It does a good job on my ciamon rolls

Those are way too tempting! I avoid making doughnuts just because I don’t want to have to fry them. These kinda makes that excuse null and void. They look well worth the effort.

jennie w. says:

I have had that Top Pot book in my cart on amazon for a few weeks but I haven’t been willing to commit til now. I’m a complete donut fanatic and there are no lengths I will not go to for donuts.

Jill Nolan says:

I made ya’lls apple cider spice donuts the other day and made my husband take them to work (Love to bake but on a diet, and I like feeding a squadron of AF pilots!) and they loved them. They asked what else I can make and well I guess I have something now! Thanks for helping me to feed the guys!

Jaan says:

Don’t you mean Maple Sticks? These have been around a really long time. AND NO I am not that old..still remember what its like to be a teenager. Maybe its because we lived in the Mid West. Maple sticks were one of my Mothers favorite sweet rolls. If this is the first time you are eating/making them, well guess, we, in the Midwest have been lucky to enjoy them for alot longer than you.

jeanette n says:

um, seriously never thought i’d ever try making maple bars. these look so awesome that i want to start right now, at 11:30 pm! thanks, kate.
    (ps- remembering you from monticello days. i’ve been addicted to your site for over a year now and haven’t mentioned it. sorry.)

kendra says:

holy cow i have the same feelings about maple! smelly babies and all!

Donna says:

I agree that babies, who often involve dried pee, smell like maple syrup. Just this morning my son’s wet sheets smelled like maple syrup. You’re not crazy.

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says:

These look incredible and I love the technique for making them! I love all things maple and maple bars would be a definite hit for me although I would have to send them to my husbands office or I’m sure I’d eat them all.

Loni says:

Oh I LOVE maple bars! They are the best. But somehow, here in my area of Houston, they do not exist. How is that possible?! So whenever I go home to Seattle, I make sure to find one. And next time I’m there, I will definitely have to track down that bakery to get my maple bar, sounds yummy.

Barbara says:

My grandmother used to make these for us….she used to own a bakery. She called them long johns. Love the maple topping!

Melissa says:

LOVE that you know them as long johns! That’s what we always called them growing up in Chicago. When I moved out west, and asked for a long john at a bakery – I just got the blank stare. Whenever I mention that we always called them long johns, people always say, “like the underwear?”

Glad you understand!!

Natalie says:

Wow these are looking so very tasty!

Judi says:

OMG, Where was this recipe when I was stuck in Michigan CRAVING them (because the are the BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD) big time?? Now that I am living back in the PNW (Whidbey Island) they are all around me (did you know that they are a regional item – Portland to Seattle only?) I don’t crave them as much, but I am sure going to try my hand at making them. Thanks for the pre-tested recipe!

Sharon Anne says:

Help me out; your photo and description both show baking powder, but it’s not listed in the recipe ingredients. Thanks in advance.

Melissa says:

Oh man…..dried booger noses, over-filled diapers, stained clothes, syrup smell. This is why I can never be called into Nursery! (Don’t get me wrong, I love kids – but there is definitely a syrup smell…I think it’s in the hair!)

I can’t even touch my own kids after they’ve had pancakes! Blech.

These donuts look heavenly! Maple bars are my husband’s favorite, and he’s coming back from a big work convention today. Maybe I should surprise him – thanks for sharing!

Laura says:

Our household LOVES maple bars! I can’t wait to make these. When I told my husband that this recipe was posted he was just as excited as me. I wouldn’t mind if you posted that apple fritter recipe too since the two donuts I always request when we get them are maple bars and apple fritters.

Madddy says:

I just made these, and might I just say “OH MY GOD THOSE ARE DELICIOUS AND CAN I HAVE THAT COOK BOOK AND PLEASE PLEASE LET THEM NOT ALL DISAPPEAR TOO QUICKLY!” Whoops, too late. I ate them all. Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe!

Kacey N. says:

I am so excited to try these as we have been oven free (kitchen remodeling… slow kitchen remodeling) and these don’t need to be baked! But I am a little concerned about the rising. Do you think any enclosed space will work or is there something special about the oven?

Crystal says:

Just wondering if you could make the dough in a bread machine?

Oooooh, I don’t know. I didn’t have a ton of luck with the bread machine that I did have, so I really can’t say. You can always try it, but if they don’t work, don’t sue me!: )

Penny says:

Can’t wait to try these! I really like maple frosting, after chocolate of course! I have worked at Winchell’s and also a local bakery, making donuts and one of the best maple donuts is a maple buttercream donut! Just mix a small amount of maple frosting into a good buttercream frosting and spread on your donut like you would a cake. The thicker the better! These are soooo darn good!

Brittany says:

WHAT??? These are my all time favorite! You are my new best friend! And my old best friend….so yeah, I love you even more now bc of your maple bar goodness!

Sara Wutzke says:

Yu-huhuhuhum! I am so excited! I’ve never tried to make doughnuts at home before, but I think I can actually do these!

Gary says:

My wife made these on Saturday and they were spectacular. She made a double batch and they were as and made half maple and half chocolate. They were as good as any that we have bought and didn’t cost an arm or leg. Thanks for the recipe.

Missy says:

I have the same aversion to maple syrup and generally most maple products for the same reasons… But I do love me some tasty maple bars. I don’t understand how they are different, but they are. Thanks for the recipe!!

Candice says:

Help…..I’ve just mixed up this recipe and a little confused. The Flour 4-41/2
    I just tried to put in 4 1/2 cups and is very very dry. Am I reading this wrong? By the way I love your recipes. I think I have now made about half of them. You two are so talented!

I went back and made it more clear that you’re supposed to mix 4 cups of flour with the dry ingredients. I’m so sorry! Hopefully they’ll turn out anyway! You could always try adding a bit more hot water very slowly.

Susan says:

These look divine. They will have to go on the list to make someday, for sure. Thanks!

Jeanene says:

Kate,
    For years – the “secret ingredient” in my sweet rolls is mace in the dough! It does make a wonderful difference in the flavor, but no one can guess what the difference is. Thanks for this recipe. They look wonderful & when I have the time to make them, I WILL be putting in the mace.

Aapree says:

Maple bars are my favorite and I was totally looking forward to these but my dough did not turn out right at all! It turned out pretty dry and tough. What did I do wrong? I’m pretty disappointed and gun shy to try again. Please help! Love your site btw! :)

Yeast doughs can be tricky and there are lots of variables. I’m GUESSING there was probably too much flour for your current environment (and that can vary on a daily basis). If you try them again, start with less flour and then add it as you need it. I’m sorry they didn’t work out!

• Aapree says:

Thanks so much! I actually thinned the dough out with a little warm water and it salvaged it! So I was able to at least get some edible ones done. However I will try them again and use a little less flour. Thanks! :)

Jenn says:

My aunt used to make these for me when I was a kid. Last time I went to visit she made them for my kids! Eating them is so much easier than making them.
    I used to love maple syrup until my then 3 year old emptied an entire bottle on my brand new rug. Still have a sticky spot when it gets damp.

Miriam says:

ok, I love maple, but I just have to tell you, I had to laugh about your sense of smell thing and maple–make sure you stay far away from the herb fenugreek–often used to increase milk supply for breastfeeding mothers. It makes you, your breath, your clothing…everything smell like maple! My husband said he could always tell when I had left a room because it smelled like maple!

Janell says:

How on earth did I miss this post?! Oh my gosh I LOVE maple bars…

lisa says:

Making these right now! Can’t wait! My husbands FAVORITE! Love your site and your cookbook, ladies!

Kathleen Yarnell-Person says:

I think a scattering of some fried crumbled bacon on top of the glaze would make these an extra fine sweet treat.

Jessica says:

Do you think I can make these ahead of time and freeze them (after the first round of freezing), then just take them out the night before??? I really want to make them for company, but dont want to get up at five :) Thanks for this recipe, I can’t wait!

I wouldn’t make the BARS ahead of time, but what you can do is after you cut the doughnuts, you can do the second rise in the fridge overnight. That way, you can just pop them into the hot oil and ice them first thing in the am.

Hope that helps!

Bridget Bergstrom says:

I made these New Year’s day for the Young Men! I wasn’t planning on eating any since I’m not a fan of maple… BUT you are right these aren’t your typical Maple bars! SERIOUSLY AMAZING! My husband came home from church today and he promised his YM he will be bringing them 2 each next week, since today was fast sunday! UMMMM????

dude!!! looks so good… i need to try this!!!!!!!
    thats for the upload

elizabeth says:

My sister sent me the recipe. I was making it today using the recipe without the pictures, I noticed that even though baking powder is listed in the ingredients,its not listed when you mix the dry ingredients together. Thought I would mention it because it threw me for a loop for a few minutes :) I cannot wait to try them- my sister even told me that they taste as good the next day so i’m making them for conference

chelsey says:

I made these once before and they turned out wonderful! So i tried them again and now the maple icing tastes like powdered sugar anysuggestions

I am still speechless. These maple bars are totally indescribable. And much easier than I anticipated. Thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe! I blogged about it here: http://thefoodcharlatan.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/maple-bars/

Nona Walker says:

Can these be baked? If so, how high and how long?

Christy says:

I am glad I am not the only person who thinks maple syrup smells like dirty children! All these years I thought I was crazy. The only maple I can tolerate is maple bars and maple soft-serve ice cream. I live in Vermont, where yes, they make everything maple!

michelle says:

The list of ingredients calls for baking powder, but the directions below don’t say to add it, but the directions with the picture do. Also, the directions say to add vanilla to the dough, but vanilla is only listed with the glaze.

Breanne says:

I made your maple bars and they were a huge hit!

On a side note, small babies do smell like maple syrup. The reason is that women who breastfeed take an herb called fenugreek to increase milk production. One of the side effects is maple scented sweat. Mothers hold their babies, so the babies smell like maple syrup.

Ali says:

Maybe it’s an elevation issue but there was way too much flower and the dough did not turn out at all. I will try this with less flour but this dough, even with the bread flour, was grainy and tasted more like Indian Fry-bread. Also I tried adding more maple flavoring but the glaze ended up tasting like pure powdered sugar with a brown tint. I will definitely be using this recipe for Indian tacos sometime though. :)

Shelby Milligan says:

Maple Bars.

I was wondering … it says use baking powder but i cant find where to put it in the recipe.

I cant wait to make these! Thanks

Andrea McRae says:

I was browsing through the recipes and am not a fan of maple anything so of course I opened this page. I so agree about the horrible smelling maple babies. I thought I was the only one to feel this way! I accidently dumped about a cup of garlic powder on my sons head when he ran into me and the smell lasted for weeks. That smelled better than maple syrup on a baby!!!

Janet Sederquist says:

Wonderfully inspired by your recipe & the photos, but when making them,forgot to leave a space between the donuts once cut. They didn’t rise, could this be the reason? Desperately seeking the perfect maple bar…

Kim says:

question – firts – I LOVE the recipes you share so thank you!! Your cook books are our go to for favorite meals ( :
    back to my question –
    My niece and nephew can’t enjoy anything with egg, dairy, nuts etc – I try to find new things for them as treats and so far have found many recipes can be adapted to work for them. Is there a way to adapt this recipe (remove the egg yolks – and use something else in their place?) – any ideas? I have used egg replacer in some treats – but wondered since this recipe is for yolks only – not sure if egg replacer works for just yolk or if it’s the whole egg. ANY insight you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for the wonderful recipes – they have enhanced our families meals for sure ( ;