Hi, my name is Kate (“Hi, Kate!”) and I’m addicted to cream cheese frosting. Addicted. Like…we should not be left alone together because I will inevitably do something that will make me feel shameful and sad that the workout I did that morning will count for nothing and then some. This problem is only exacerbated by the fact that my husband hates cream cheese frosting. Yes, you read that right–he likes potted meat food product (he says it reminds him of the two years he spent in Norway, which makes me sad for him…and Norway…because I’m sure that’s not how it wants to be remembered), but he doesn’t like cream cheese frosting. So if I ever make it, I have no one to share it with and I have to be accountable for all the frosting. It’s kind of like when Uncle Ben tells Peter Parker that with great power comes great responsibility and those words echo in his mind when he’s not using his spidey powers responsibly. I have the power to make this amazing frosting, but then I can hear those words when I lick the beaters. And the spatula. And I squeeze some from the icing bag onto my finger.

For the longest, longest time, I could not find a recipe for cream cheese frosting that I liked. I knew what I wanted–the stuff swirled on top of the boutique cupcakes, not too sweet, something kind of like creamy, spreadable cheesecake. I wanted a really distinct cream cheese flavor, but every recipe I found called for so much butter and sugar that the cream cheese flavor was completely overwhelmed.

If you’re not super crazy about cream cheese or if you like sweeter frostings, this might not be your thing, but if you love that thick, creamy, cream-cheesy frosting on carrot cakes and spice cakes and pumpkin-y stuff and your finger, this one’s for you.

The ingredients aren’t any different than other cream cheese frosting recipes–cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla (or almond) extract. The difference is the proportions–this calls for way more cream cheese and cuts down on the butter and powdered sugar. Notice how I’m using light cream cheese? Like that somehow makes my addiction okay, or even healthy? It doesn’t.

Beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla (or almond) extract until it’s light and fluffy. You might want to keep the ingredients a little on the cool side–like not quite softened to room temperature. That will prevent the frosting from getting too soft. Add the powdered sugar… (and it’s really not very much powdered sugar) and beat it until it’s light and fluffy.

And then you’re done. Which is part of the danger–I’m only 5 minutes away from reckless abandon. Slather it onto these sugar cookies, this carrot cake, or your favorite cinnamon rolls, or skip the streusel and swirl it onto these muffins… (which then become cupcakes, at least in my brain). Also, in my house, the chocolate chips would have to go because as much as I love cream cheese frosting and chocolate, I don’t like them together. Don’t ask.

Mark Petersen says:

Forget putting this on anything, It’s going to be on my gut anyhow. This is going to be good on a cake I need to make for a ward bake off against the Relief Society.

+2 style points for the comic book reference.

Jessica says:

I consider myself to have a pretty perfect recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting….but now presented with this one, I have to try it asap to see how it compares! :-D

Christina says:

Oh yum! I have the perfect Red Velvet cake recipe to go along with this frosting. I know what I will be making this weekend!!

Cheryl says:

Did your husband serve under President Olson (’93-’96)? If so, he’s my dad! BTW, I love cream cheese frosting, too.

He sure did! What a small world! :)

• Cheryl says:

Do you have any ugly trolls in your house, or did he just settle for a cool sweater? Tell him that President Olson is still the Buffmaster at 82 (ask him if he ever saw the poster hanging in their house of my dad holding a surfboard). About a year and a half ago, he beat me to the top of a rock climbing wall on a cruise. He just got called to be the First Counselor in the Newport Beach temple presidency. My mom recently had both knees replaced but otherwise is doing well. I wish I could say something pithy in Norwegian, but alas, I cannot. Small world, indeed!

Katherine says:

I read that as, ‘Your husband is my dad’. Was a bit bemused you didn’t seem to be already acquainted.

• Jen Paris says:

I’m on here trying to find a good dessert recipe and I somehow start looking through these comments and even though I don’t know anything about any of you guys, I read Katherine’s post and started laughing out loud! For a long time. :) too funny! thanks!

• Another Katherine says:

I guess it’s a Katherine thing because I took it this way also and was totally confused. Until I read this comment and had to think about how else this could be taken…

This sounds wonderful. Cream cheese frosting is the best!

Sandy B says:

I sympathize with you — both on the uncontrolled eating of cream cheese frosting AND the uncooperative husband.

Thanks for the recipe. For sure I’ll try it soon. I love the stuff.

Amanda says:

Mmmmm, looks pretty perfect. Now I want to make a cake to go with it. Or, skip the cake? ;)

Jen M says:

Sounds divine! So was your husband in Norway on a mission? My husband served there from 1999-2001. What a small world. Thanks for sharing your amazing talents of writing and cooking!

Erin B. says:

This sounds wonderful! I always hate it when cream cheese frosting tastes nothing like cream cheese! I’m making pumpkin cupcakes this weekend so I will definitely be trying this!

Chantel says:

Looks Yummy!!! Perfect for fall recipes. My brother-in-law served a mission in Norway. He would’ve arrived in Norway about…13 years ago I believe.

Jeanne Marie says:

How could you mention cream cheese frosting and not ONCE also mention cinnamon rolls?! Yes, THAT is what I slather this gift from the gods upon. And have men worshiping at my feet. :D

Julee I. says:

I can vouch that this frosting is amazing! I’ve been using that recipe from allrecipes.com for a while now and it is definitely the PERFECT cream cheese frosting :)

Chantell Fenner says:

If you use a tiny bit of yogurt or sour cream, its EVEN BETTER, smoother and MORE cheesecake-like. Just sayin’.

Marie says:

My biggest problem with cream cheese recipes is that whenever I follow one, it ends up runny.
    Delicious but runny. Makes me want to cry.

Marie, that’s been my problem with recipes that call for more sugar than this one. Using full-fat cream cheese helps, as does keeping the ingredients on the chilly side. :)

• Nichole says:

Also it helps using real butter, not margarine. Everyone learns from their mistakes – & that was my lesson!!!

Heather Ash says:

Try adding 1T fresh lemon juice to your cream cheese frosting… it cuts sweetness and adds just a bit of freshness to it =-)

Connie says:

Hey my hubby spent two years in Norway as well. Love cream cheese frosting, now I have to go and make something to put it on…

Nancy says:

I too share a love for cream cheese frosting. I sampled some yummy fall cream cheese frosting yesterday at Williams-Sonoma. They said it was a tablespoon of their Pecan Pumpkin Butter mixed with cream cheese. It would be delish on top of anything pumpkin!

Wendy Perkins says:

Definitely a keeper.

Karissa says:

What if I needed to frost cupcakes a few hours before serving? Would the cupcakes/frosting be okay at room temp?

I am so excited that you posted this recipe…because this is exactly how I make my cream cheese frosting. I am feeling like doing a happy dance…kind of like I have earned my baking credentials or something today. :)

Yum! I’ve been using this recipe for years and love it. I always add more powdered sugar though!

Kine says:

Hei.
    Yay for a new frosting, a reason to make cupcakes :)
    As a Norwegian I am very curious about what the “potted meat product” is. Can he remember the Norwegian name?

I like your blog, one of the few written in English I follow.

Danielle says:

Are those cupcake papers or just parchment paper? I really like the look of them. If you just used parchment paper, how did you get them to flare out at the top like that? Or if they’re store-bought, where did you get them?

Lisle says:

You know, I love cream cheese frosting. Period. Perfect or not. I sometimes just have to cope with the fact that it’s too sweet, and I put on my Big Girl Pants and eat it anyway, so the starving children somewhere else won’t make me feel guilty.

That aside, if you’re having a spidey tingle about not using your cream-cheese powers for good, you COULD just make half a batch. Heresy, I know, but if you’re not really going to frost things with it, half a batch is a little less to work off later. Or, you could do what I like to do, which is make zucchini bread with whole wheat flour and very little oil, and that evens out the frosting to the point you can even look virtuous…

Damyon says:

Mmmmm! Cream Cheese Frosting. There is no better frosting, unless you add chocolate.

Desi says:

Oh good! I thought I was the only person addicted to cream cheese frosting. There’s just something about it…

AnnaBeth says:

I was drawn to OBB by this post title. Pumpkin season + cream cheese frosting = danger for a woman who is blogging about losing weight! I still love you, OBB.

Laura K says:

Cream cheese frosting is the only frosting I like. Luckily for me though it is my entire families favorite. If I make any other kind of frosting everyone is like “where’s the regular frosting?”. There is not a single cupcake or cake that I have found that it is not delicious on. My favorite is the Hershey’s chocolate cake recipe made into cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. MMMM!!! Now I just might have to bake some. My recipe uses two sticks of butter instead of one but that is how the family likes it. Thank you for sharing your addiction with us all LOL!

YUM! Cream cheese frosting is really the *only* frosting I like. I made pumpkin cake over the weekend and had to make extra cream cheese frosting because I ate too much of the first batch and didn’t have enough to finish the cake. Opps!

Lauren says:

Sounds good! I know this is off the subject, but did your hubby go to Norway on his mission? My brother went there- he was there 1998-2000. Wonder if they knew each other? PS- Love your cookbook!

Pinning this RIGHT NOW so that I have it handy when I make my husband a carrot cake to make up for how bad I messed up on his actual birthday. TMI? He loves cream cheese frosting so I’m thinking a hommade carrot cake with homemade cream cheese frosting will get me back into good graces :) These are my hopes.

Oh, Mandi, I totally know about screwing up the actual birthdays, lol! A few years ago, we were deaaaaaaad broke and so my present was going to be making a TON (like hundreds) of the sugar cookies with glace icing on the blog and surprising him at work. It took days and days of planning and baking and decorating. When I was taking them out to the car, the box bottomed out and they fell all over the ground. So not only did he get no REAL presents because we had no money, but he didn’t get any cookies, either. And the KICKER was that his stupid special birthday dinner didn’t happen, either, because I was so preoccupied by the cookie disaster. It was bad.

Jeanette says:

Who needs cake. Graham crackers dipped in it is my secret addiction. It is the best when you can find the graham cracker sticks plain or cinnamon!

Hillary says:

You are a godsend. My husband and I love the Rhodes cinnamon rolls for lazy Saturday/Sunday morning breakfasts but the package of rolls only comes with two packets of cream cheese frosting, 12 rolls… and we bake it in groups of four. So our last batch of rolls requires store bought in a can cream cheese frosting because I haven’t found a simple and good cream cheese recipe. Now I need to go buy more rolls so I can try out this recipe!

Carrie says:

Sounds great! What size decorating tip do you use to get the frosting to look so perfect on the cupcakes? Do you have any special tips/tricks when frosting them? Mine always look like a 2-year-old frosted them – which, I must say, never stops me from eating them. :)

Kit says:

Wow, your blog, the recipe and all the comments make me want to make it NOW! I can’t wait to try this one.

Alyson White says:

This also recipe also tastes good if you substitute the cream cheese for mascarpone :-)

Cami says:

Uh-oh… my husband rarely make desserts anymore unless there is cream cheese involved. I mean, why make dessert without the world’s most splendid ingredient?! Can’t wait to try this version. Thank you!

Oohhhh..that looks good – I love that it uses salted butter!

Lindsey Peterson says:

I have been waiting for your take on cream cheese frosting for like a year. I have a dangerous addiction too! I love to put it on graham crackers, and I have some graham crackers that need eatin’.

NanAppetit says:

My oldest made it “uncool” to like cream cheese and cream cheese frosting, and the notion has spread like wildfire through the other 5 kids (eyeroll). I, like you, am the main creator and consumer of cream cheese frosting in my house.

Melissa B says:

I love cream cheese frosting ( especially on anything **chocolate** )
    Im going to try your recipe, thanks!

Patti says:

Figure this one out…I don’t like cheesecake because I can taste the cream cheese. However, I love cream cheese frosting. Is there a club for weirdos I can join?

Heather says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve been looking for the perfect cream cheese frosting for pumpkin muffins!

Ann says:

I thought I was the only person who didn’t do chocolate chips and cream cheese…

Domestic Diva North says:

I have been doing cream cheese frosting this same way for years – always more cream cheese than butter and just a bit of icing sugar. I just made cinnamon buns last night for my daughter’s class and made cream cheese frosting for them. I do have to say that a good rich chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting is one of the best things going (although I also do not like it with chocolate chips either)

Daisha says:

This is the same recipe my mom has been using for decades. It really is so good and it is must on cinnamon rolls!

BigMamaCass says:

Yum! I am totally addicted to Cream Cheese Frosting too! Thank you for the recipe!

Brittany says:

So I am into cake decorating and have been looking for a cream cheese frosting that is good for piping. Would this fit the bill? Also how long do you beat your cream cheese/butter/vanilla mixture. I always buy pumpkin muffins with thick cream cheese frosting, and end up envying the frosting, hoping that someday I will be able to make it that thick and non-runny. But to this day I have failed to recreate it, any tips?
    Love your site btw! I have gotten so many dinner ideas from you gals!

It’s great for piping, but only if you use full-fat cream cheese and you only beat it until the ingredients are mixed well–I think overmixing definitely contributes to the super-soft cream cheese frosting. Also, keep the ingredients cool and the room cool. If things are feeling a little soft, load it into the piping bag and then pop it in the fridge until it’s firm enough to pipe and then get them back into the fridge (ever notice how stuff with awesome cream cheese frosting is always cold? :) )

Anyway, I hope that helps! Let us know how it turns out if you try it!

• Amber Liebel says:

I am also looking for an awesome cream cheese frosting for a cake to decorate with! Had no luck thus far. Too sweet and not enough “cream cheese” flavor. I’m going to trythis one (keep it cool and pipe it). Do you know if it will color ok using the wilton color gels?
        Thanks Kate:)

• JConnolly says:

Amber & Brittany….I haven’t tried this one yet, but I made a wedding cake a few weeks ago using a cream cheese frosting that was basically made up of cream cheese and melted white chocolate (a little butter and vanilla as well). You don’t really taste the white chocolate, it just adds sweetness and thickness (especially once refrigerated). Hands down the best frosting I have ever made (I’m surprised I had enough to cover the cakes due to all the “taste testing” I had to do). If you google it, I’m sure you’ll find it online. I didn’t try coloring it though…kept it white for the whole wedding theme thing.

Claire says:

i wonder if it will work well with pumpkin. i’ve been wanting to make some pumpkin cookies for a very long time now

Cass says:

this is the frosting i have always used, and it is AMAZING! it is really like a cheesecake sitting on top of a cupcake! love it!

Funny, I just blogged about how I absolutely am obsessed with cream cheese frosting too. It is so delicious. When I make it I have to keep myself from sneaking into the fridge and licking my fingers.

Barbara says:

Ew. I’m like your husband. Can’t stand it – it tastes like some spoiled dairy product. Yuck. I love cheesecake, and cream cheese frosting is nothing like cheesecake.

Pam says:

So many recipes need a good cream cheese frosting. Thanks for sharing this. i do not like frostings for the most part, but cream cheese is the one type I adore.

Teeny Jones says:

who cares about what the frosting is going on! i could eat JUST the frosting alone! yum, yum!!!!

Lalani says:

This frosting was amazing!…i combined it with your pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (minus the strudel topping)… And they were so good:)

Samantha says:

I love this recipe and I use 1/3 fat cream cheese too since that is what I usually have in the house. I made a half batch this weekend for pumpkin spice muffins – perfection! Thankfully my husband loves cream cheese frosting.

Nice one. Thanks for sharing.

Kelsey says:

This is the exact recipe which I have been using, and everyone raves about it. I love the tartness. So excited to slather it upon your pumpkin “muffins” tomorrow for a fall party!! Can’t decide if I will do the streusel too, as it looks like most people are doing one or the other. I say go big or go home!!

Mary says:

I read this line, “And then I found this recipe. And my life was changed. For better or worse I can’t say, but, at least in my book, this is the perfect cream cheese frosting.” and thought of the song from Wicked (how appropriate) “For Good” My teen girls LOVE to bake and are also addicted to cream cheese frosting. I’ll share this recipe with them and let you know what they think. I enjoyed visiting your blog!!

Angela says:

Tomorrow is my “cheat day” and I get to eat anything I want, so….here I am on your website, planning my eats for the day. This frosting looks SO GOOD!! I was thinking about making carrot cake, but I don’t need a whole cake. Maybe some cupcakes? Would the recipe for carrot cake be okay for cupcakes and how long would I bake them? What type of cupcake do you have pictured above??

Claire says:

Hmm I love cream cheese icing! I totally agree with you, all the recipes I find for it always call for so much icing sugar it’s ridiculous! Like one recipe I have asks for 4 cups! I’m definitely going to try this one out, there seems to be a nice balance between all the ingredients. :)

Amanda Strong says:

Tried this frosting yesterday. I love it. Not as sweet as I am used to so it really had a richer cheese flavor. Definitely making this again. Thanks.

Hmm, this sounds good. I plan on using this recipe for a full sheet layer cake for a special order. Is this a good method to use on such a large cake??

Claire says:

I agree – most of the cream cheese recipes I find ask for so much icing sugar – sometimes about 4 cups! I just tried this recipe the other day – I made red velvet cupcakes for my sister’s birthday and it was divine. Still a little sweet, but not overly so :)

Jessica says:

Will this be thick enough to decorate with? I am a novice and not trying to do anything spectacular, but I do have the icing bags and want to make flowers and things like that. Think it will hold up?

Terry Stenstrup says:

Thank you (everyone) for making me giggle on this cold January morning! I was browsing the web for a “perfect” cream cheese frosting and came upon this. Once I printed the recipe and read the first few comments…. well, I just had to read all 65 of them! I plan on making this frosting and putting it on a chocolate cake with a butter/raspberry jam filling (also new recipe for me)! It is my daughter’s partner’s birthday and she asked for a chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting… so here we go! I totally enjoyed everyone’s wit and I am certain that the cream cheese frosting will be a big hit!

Taylor says:

Cream cheese frosting is my favorite and i can’t wait to try this one! Personally, i sometimes add baking coco and put it in devils food cupcakes, but thats just me. YUm!

Maha says:

OMG!
    I have been using this cream cheese frosting recipe since forever!
    and I thought I’m the only one who is using it!!
    awwwesome ;)

Kellie says:

Can anyone tell me how much this makes? I want to frost a round layered cake with it.

Kaitlin says:

If I am using this recipe for cupcakes, should I half the recipe? I don’t want a ton of mixture leftover. And the cupcake mix I’m using is like a white cake mix. I know you said earlier that this recipe is not as sweet, so would it still be good with a white cake mix? It’s a betty crocker party rainbow mix.

Nah, I’d use the whole recipe–it would probably be just about right for moderately frosted cake mix cupcakes. And I think it would be perfect, but I think this would be perfect on just about anything. :)

Taylor says:

Finally, someone with the same addiction as me! Kate, you are now my enabler

Hi Kate! I absolutely can not stand buttercream icing so my options are cream cheese (love, love, love) or whipped which I can deal with as well. My friend asked me to make her birthday cake and wants cream cheese icing. I was wondering how much cake would this recipe frost? I am going to do a rose design like Amanda from I Am Baker http://iambaker.net/rose-cake-tutorial. Will this yield enough to do a two layer 9in cake with a crumb coat? Thanks for the recipe btw!

I’m not 100% sure. Maybe I would be more sure if I were a better cake decorator, haha! I would definitely double it and then if you have leftovers…well…send them to my house! :)

Ellamae says:

Hi i like the cream cheese frosting recipe its really delish on my red velvet cupcakes I wanna ask if you have any royal icing recipes ?

No, all of our icing recipes can be found in our recipe index. If you’re looking for royal icing for sugar cookies, I suggest you check out our “Glace Icing”.

Linda says:

Hi I am new here!! I love cupcakes and frostings! am looking for a nice red velvet cupcake recipe, anyone care to share? the cream cheese frosting is perfect!! its true not to put too much sugar and butter so that it will not be runny!!

Meggan says:

My favorite combo is cream cheese frosting with lemon cupcakes…and I have been looking for a good cream cheese frosting….thanks for sharing and feeding MY addicition :)

Sara says:

I can’t wait to try this recipe. I am addicted to cream cheese frosting as well and have yet to find a recipe that is “cream-cheesy” enough!

Linda says:

Hi, I’ve tried making this twice, and both times it went runny… I don’t know what I did wrong? I’m in asia, could it be due to the humidity? Taste fantastic tho! Pls advice… I need frosting for my red velvet cake :((

It might be the humidity, or the specific brands you’re using. If it’s too runny, try adding more powdered sugar!

Zoe says:

Linda: I just found out why mine turns runny occasionally. Apparently if you mix TOO much, the cream cheese will collapse. To ‘re-curdle’ the cream cheese all you have to do is add a bit of lemon juice.

Valerie says:

OMG this is AMAZING stuff! Used it as a topping for pancakes (was supposed to be crepes :/) with cherries, whipped cream and Nutella drizzle. Also frosted brownies and some gluten free cupcakes with it. The best part tho… licking the bowl!

Nicole says:

I love this! How can I make this in a chocolate???

Daphne Vorbrich says:

Finally the recipe I’ve been searching for since my childhood. Thank you :)

Anonymous says:

How many cups of frosting does this make?

K-lyn says:

I made this frosting today for a red velvet cake. I did add 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp of egg white powder. This recipe produced a very tasty frosting and the texture was perfect- light, fluffy, but substantial. Not at all thin or runny; smooth- not one lump. will def. make again. Thank you.

Katherine says:

Just made this recipe this morning and it’s delicious! Love the fact that you can definitely taste the cream cheese and that’s it’s not too sweet. Also, because the ratio of cream cheese to confectioners’ sugar is higher, it pipes beautifully.

Josie says:

This is my go-to recipe for cream cheese frosting now! It was lovely on red velvet cake and carrot cake… also the spatula… and bowl… and fingers… but I digress. Thank you for sharing!

Tasneem says:

Tried it out today. Amazzzzing :P Perfect frosting for cinnabon cupcakes… Stays smooth, pipes easily and holds its shape… Yummy :)

Ellen says:

I LOVE THIS FROSTING!!! I have been looking for the cream cheese frosting of my dreams and this is it. The cream cheese to butter ratio is exactly what my taste buds were looking for. I halved the recipe and put it on zucchini bars. Thank you!

Cloudy says:

It’s always nice to find fellow Mormons online and so glad you posted this recipe. I have a beautiful red velvet cupcake recipe and showed a friend how to make them in the weekend. I thought I had the icing down pat but what a disaster it was……only 1 package of cream cheese it was soft and runny and we couldn’t pipe it with the lovely swirls, so disappointed. So I have been researching and I found a recipe by the barefoot contessa Ian garten and its the same as yours…..I’m ecstatic because I know now where I went wrong. Thanks again and those bakeoffs with the priesthood are fun!!

Laura says:

Hi! I am looking for an icing recipe to frost a birthday cake and tint blue (for a 4 year old’s Batman cake). I’m new to making fancy cakes and was wondering if this recipe might work for what I need it for? I love everything I have tried from your site, so thought it was worth asking. Thank you! :o)

I love this recipe, i have found many great frosting recipes, but i looove this one. Something about this makes it truly special! Perfec for piping and everything :)

Jan says:

Just made this delicious cream cheese for carrot cake cupcakes. So tasty!! Love it! Thanks!!!

Kate says:

Never made icing before but HATE store bought, so decided to give it a go for my girl’s 1st birthday party. Ummm, this is RIDICULOUSLY good and was a BIG hit. I will never use any other icing. EVER. Thank you!

[...] Această rețetă nu este cea din rețeta originală, ci o alta, pe care am găsit-o aici. [...]

Shari says:

OMG!! I almost could not stop eating this. Even after I spread it on the brownies. It was not even so I had to even it out, right? Almost started to scrape it off the brownies entirely. Soooooooooooooooooo Yummmyyyy!!

Kathy says:

Hey you guys, I need help. My mama made this homemade strawberry icing and it came out all liquidy and stuff, so now we need help trying to fix it and make it thicker for the baby shower today. Can anyone help me please?

Hannah says:

Thank you for the recipe! I tried it on top of my strawberry cupcakes and it was amazing!

dee says:

Kate, you’re cRaZY! Excellent writing, I love your descript enthusiasm toward cream cheese. This is why I tried your recipe, and have to report that you really were serious! This frosting is amazing! Thanks for taking the time to share the recipe and with such an entertaining look into your “addiction,” I hope you find help. I’ll probably need an intervention myself from this!
    Best wishes for a speedy rehab,
    Dee

dee says:

P.S.
    This frosting would make an INCREDIBLE Fruit Dip! Have you ever considered that? I don’t even have to try it! Next time I have company, if I make a fruit tray, there’s going to be a bowl of this fluffy stuff! Oh yea!

Sumaya says:

Hi!
    I stumbled by luck upon your website while trying to stop my craving for baked goods (!). I LOOOVVE to bake but have no one at home who likes to eat:(
    I have an other recipe for the creme cheese frosting that might please the “i want a more cheesy taste” gals out there.
    You need 1 cup creme cheese, 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2 tsp of orange juice ( or more if needed)
    Everyone loves it :)

[...] Cream Cheese Frosting (OurBestBites.com) Ingredients: 2 8-oz. packages cream cheese (light works fine, although it will yield a slightly [...]

Sara vongthongthip says:

How many cupcakes does this frost? A dozen or two dozen?

Vanessa says:

So about how long do you actually whip the cream cheese? Every recipe I’ve ever read says “until soft” but, seeing as how baking does not come easy to me, I always manage to screw that up. I believe I’m over-whipping and can’t seem to get it right. Please help!

Angela says:

Is the recipe for 2 cakes?? Just frosted a spice cake made in a 13 x 9 pan and have a bunch of frosting left over. BTW , this recipe is so good I couldn’t resist tasting a bit as I frosted the cake.

Angela says:

Never mind I know what I did wrong now. I’m such a GOOF! I googled about sifting powdered sugar. What I did was measure out the powdered sugar then sifted it. What I shoulda done was sift it until I had 2 cups. D’OH!!!!

Tiana says:

Hi Kate!
    Just wanted to know if the recipe will make enough to frost 12 cupcakes. Or will I need to halve the recipe?
    Thanks!

Jyotika says:

Hi, just wanted to know if this recipe is sufficient to frost a double layer red velvet cake.

Debbie says:

Hi, I was looking online for a cream cheese frosting and found yours. I just baked a wacky cake and a carrot cake and didn’t have any frosting. Made yours. OMG this was the best tasting cream cheese frosting ever, I won’t worry about having frosting again…who needs the stuff in a can when I can whip this up and it tastes much fresher and creamier. I used neufchatel cream cheese and it came out perfect. Thanks so much – this will be my go to Cream Cheese Frosting, which I can put on a lot of baked goods. I can’t wait to hear the comments tomorrow after folks eat the carrot cake.

Nella says:

Question! About how much does this yield? Enough to frost a cake and in between layers?

Alice Soden says:

Kate, I was wondering if this recipe is good for a wedding cake, I have a couple thats want cream cheese frostings

Sarah says:

Dear Kate,
    I don’t normally read all of what people
    write, I go straight to the recipe and just scan for
    any tips. Yet while I did this, you made me laugh!
    I enjoyed reading what you wrote. Thanks for the laugh and great recipe.
    Loved it! Thanks-Sarah