Who says gingerbread men are just for Christmas?  (Really, who does say that?  I’m assuming someone does) It’s time to rip off the lederhosen and get ready for a Halloween edition.  First we’ll need our little cookie people.  I’m calling these gingerbread men because that seems appropriate, but they are not gingerbread at at all. This is what I started making when I whipped up the cookie dough I posted on Monday.

You certainly could use our Gingerbread Cookie recipe, but I’m going for Chocolate.

With one little twist.  Okay two twists:

Cinnamon and Orange give these chocolate cookies a warm, spiciness that seems fitting for spooky little Halloweeny people.  Also, it’s important to have a really great tasting cookie here because we’re not slathering it in buttercream icing.  The cookie has to be able to stand out on its own.

I’m also using royal icing.  I was going to do a whole tutorial on it, but I think I’ll come back to that at Christmas time when cookie decorating is in full swing (and I can practice more and find out if I can actually make cookies that don’t look like they were done by a four year old.)  If you’re not familiar with it, royal icing is a basic powdered sugar based icing, but it also uses meringue powder.  You can fine meringue powder in cooking and craft stores (in the cake decorating aisle) and even at Walmart where they sell Wilton products.  There are lots of brands available online as well.  You can simply use the recipe for royal icing found on the container of meringue powder you buy, or visit our favorite cookie goddess Bridget, at Bake @ 350, who has a great tutorial, found here.    It’s been a while since I’ve dabbled with royal icing; since I discovered Glace, I’ve been going that route (and okay, because me and royal got in a fight a few years back and haven’t talked since), but I’m happy to say that this go-around was a total success!  So you may be seeing more royal icing cookies around here!  I also used orange extract in my icing.

You want to start with your icing at a nice piping consistency.  I put mine in a piping bag and used a number 3 tip.  Just freehand some little faces on there; there are actually a lot of ways to do a skull!  Try drawing a few out on paper if you’re not quite sure how you want them to look.  I’m going pretty basic here.  Make sure you get 2 eyes and a mouth if you want one.

I switched to a larger tip for my bones (a #5) so I just started using that one for my faces as well.  It’s a little thick, but it worked and I didn’t have to change tips, so just play around with what you have and see what works for you.

I know that after looking at these cookies you will all be shocked to know that I am not an expert in human anatomy.  I probably should have consulted my husband since he is an actual expert, but whatever.  They’re cookies.  I made a line straight down and then doubled over on that bottom bone because, I don’t know, it seemed like it should be bigger.  Then just pipe on some ribs.

Then add some little bone shaped bones (bone shaped bones? hmmm…) and a few dots.  Because as you all should know, cookie skeletons have only 3 fingers on each hand.

After you’ve finished piping all your cookies to this point, you can fill in your faces.  Just take some of your nice, thick icing and put it in a bowl.  Add warm water, a tiny bit at a time, while stirring, until it you can hold a spoon up and it slowly drizzles down.  Like a thick syrup.  Much like the consistency of Glace, if you’ve worked with that one before.  I just used a toothpick to drizzle some onto my faces

and then used that same toothpick to spread it around into all of the open spots.  The icing should be thick enough that it can hold it’s shape when you drizzle it on, but thin enough that you can easily push it around.

You’ll want to let them dry for several hours so the icing can harden, and if you plan to stack them, then definitely let them dry for a full 24 hours.  It’s worth the wait; they’re adorable.

So adorable, that I started thinking they might need accessories.  If you want, just color some of your icing and play around with shapes on a piece of parchment.  These will need to harden before you use them, so do this step ahead of time if you think of it. (Also, it doesn’t matter if they look super lame like mine, once they go onto a cookie they suddenly look awesome.)

After they’re dry, just attach them to your cookies with a bit of wet icing.  I never realized how “cute” skeletons could be!

And somehow they just get cuter when you see a bunch of them together.  I love how all of the faces are a little different, and with hearts and bows, they all just take on their own little personalities.

I know; I’m getting too attached.  It’s really too bad since I’m going to bite their adorable little heads off.

Okay, and here’s possibly the best tip in this  post.  Let’s say you make your cookies, you do your icing, and somehow you find yourself cursing OBB and their stupid adorable skeletons because yours aren’t turning out quite like you had hoped.  Or you realized you just don’t have the time to pipe rib cages onto tiny chocolate men but you don’t want to waste your cookies.  Well then I have a plan B for you.  Just drizzle icing back and forth all over and dot on two eyes.  Tah-dah!  Mummy Cookies :)

Sarah Smith says:

This is such a cute idea! Thanks!

Cassy says:

Those are darling!!! Thanks for sharing!

Sara, how are Royal & Glace icing different? (texture, taste, easier…) If you liked Glace better why did you want to try Royal icing again?

They both have about the same ratio of powdered sugar to water or milk. The difference is that glace then has corn syrup added and royal has meringue powder. The glace is just whisked and it’s like a thick, thick syrup. Royal icing is beaten and is fluffy and holds a shape.

They are used for different styles of cookies. Glace works well for glazing entire tops of cookies, or basic outline and fill. Royal icing pipes better and is better for designs and small piping details. You *could* do these cookies with glace, but it would take a lot longer and be harder I think. What icing you use really depends on the style of decoration you’re doing.

• Alexis S. says:

What is the recipe for the royal icing? It isnt letting me click on the recipe. I’ve been wanting to try out making cute holiday cookies but never found I good recipe.

Laura says:

super cute :)

Liz W says:

This is just about the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. I love it and if I didn’t think mine would end up looking like a 5 year old got into white icing I would totally attempt :)

Angela S says:

Doesn’t the royal icing get so hard that it’s difficult to eat? I use royal icing to put together my gingerbread houses, but I’ve never had the desire to eat it :p I guess I’ve always saw royal icing as “glue”, lol.

It does dry hard, but no so hard you can’t eat it! It’s basically just sugar. The addition of extract really helps the flavor too. That’s why I think it’s great for a cookie like this, where you’re not covering the entire cookie.

Laurel says:

I have a whole can of margarine powder in my food storage I didn’t know what to do with. Sounds like I need to make lots of royal icing! Can’t wait to try it out on these little guys. :o)

Kelli says:

Love them! Like I needed something else to do right now though. Maybe I’ll make them and take them to my brothers to decorate with the kiddos! Thanks!

Patti says:

Absolutely adorable. You are a clever girl.

Myrnie says:

Cute cute :). Have you seen Ruby Gloom on Netflix? There’s a little bone boy I think you’ll like :)

Corrie Anne says:

That’s actually genius, but my favorite part is the BOWS!!! YAY!

Beth L. says:

I’m going to have to make those for my boys Halloween parties!

Kirsten says:

SO CUTE!!! wish there was a way to send these to the troops but icing is just not a good idea for travel.

Susan says:

What a great idea. I love how they turned out, especially the pink bows and hearts.

Jennie says:

Oh my gosh!!!! So cute! And I have a toddles around here, so if they look like kids did it, I have some to blame it on :)

Stephanie says:

i agree that gingerbread men are not just for Christmas! when i was in high school i had to do a project for biology on the lymphatic system of the body. i had to find a creative way to present it to the class. so i made anatomical gingerbread men! i used icing to represent the lymphatic vessels (some of them- just to give the general idea), and i stuck on different little candies for the lymph nodes, spleen, etc. i made one for each person in the class, and one for the teacher, of course. i got an A++. (TWO pluses!) :)

Mary Ann says:

so stinking cute!

Love this. I’ve actually made these for a few years with Martha’s gingerbread and royal icing recipes. I like to make skeletons out of whatever animal shaped cookie cutters I’ve got around…bats and moose are favorites!

Anne says:

I love them both!

Brenna says:

Sara, I noticed you use your RoulPat to roll out and cut your cookies on. I really want to buy a RoulPat but was worried when I read in the care instructions not to cut anything on it. I wasn’t sure if that included cookie cutters too. Have you had any trouble cutting cookies on it? Also, I was hoping to get the RoulPat to help me when I roll out dough for my orange rolls. My only concern is that I roll the dough thin, in a square shape and then use a pizza cutter to cut the dough in strips. If I was to roll the dough out on the RoulPat and use the pizza cutter, do you think that would damage the RoulPat? I bought the Silpat based on your recommendation and love it, so when you recommended the RoulPat, I figured you’d be the perfect person to ask :)

Oh ya, you can totally use cookie cutters. You just want to avoid super sharp knives that can cut through the surface. I use the back side of my sharp knives, or butter knives, and I even use my pizza cutter on it too and it’s held up great.

I love this idea! I love gingerbread, but it’s sad that it’s only made in one month out of the whole year. Thanks for making an excuse to bake them more often. These are too cute!

Alicia W. says:

I’m thinking these are heading into my plans for the weekend…how cute!!!

Sandy says:

super fun and cute! thanks!

HappyCampers says:

Very very cute!

Liz says:

These are cute! I teach an “inside the Human Body” unit to my 5th graders and these would be a hit for when we cover the skeletal system.

Melissa C says:

I soooo love reading your posts! not just for the awesome recipes, but your humor really cracks me up! thanks for the recipe and laugh! ;)

Regan Martin says:

These are so darned cute…..and I LOVE the mummy at the end! Fun!

Cathy Nelson says:

These are adorable!!! I love the mummies too!

Cherish says:

Those are so stinkin’ cute!

These are so adorable! I love the Halloween twist and I’m entirely ready for gingerbread men in my life…especially the chocolate variety!

Rhea says:

Flat out ADORABLE!

Amy says:

yeah, that is just too adorable. pretty sure i’ll be making these :)

Karen Kuilboer says:

Okay, I should really refrain from going to your website for ideas. After just baking 250 mini candy corn cupcakes for my daughters’ Canadian Thanksgiving Feast at school, I am now tempted to bake these adorable skeleton gingerbread men/girls. You don’t know how much of an obsession I have with all things gingerbread men!!!! Sara and Kate, you tempt me EVERY time!!!

debanee says:

I wondered if you had any ideas of good food to sell at a craft show. Something not to time consuming or things to make in advance! I use your recipe book a lot! Just thought you might have some good ideas!!
    thanks
    debanee

Sherry says:

So adorable! Thanks for sharing

ButterYum says:

Oh my, they are soooooo adorable! Great idea!!

ButterYum

Anne says:

Brilliant! I love the mummies–much more my style of frosting. ;-)

I love the idea of adding orange and cinnamon to the cookies to make them different than regular cookies.
    Not to mention they’re just plain adorable!

Nicki says:

You are so cute. The end.

You are so incredibly creative. Wow…so cute!

Ooo it might be fun to make these as pumpkin spice cookies instead of gingerbread or chocolate! You know. To stay festive. :)

Jill H says:

Those cookies are the cutest! I love that you posted a backup option for those of us less gifted in the decorating dept. Also, is it too obsessive that I have 3 tabs open to different pages on your website – and have been up for days as I slowly gather materials and the gumption to try some of your crafts? Okay, yeah, a little obsessive ;o)

Becky says:

What kind of frosting works best for the mummies? How did you drizzle it? The picture looks like it was piped with a flat tip.

Rachel says:

Just made the dough..its sitting in the freezer but I can’t wait that long!! The addition of the orange and cinnamon to the dough is genius! The dough tastes incredible! I’ll let you know about the cookies later :)

Rachel says:

P.S. I want that cute little chunky gingerbread man cookie cutter! Where did you find him? My gingerbread cutter looks a little immaciated.

Aw, these are so adorable! I swear I saw the same idea somewhere before but I can’t remember where. And I’ll bet yours turned out nicer :) The little bows and hearts are great and the mummy cookies are great too. Also I think you could probably use buttercream frosting! It hardens when left out long enough. The cookie recipe itself looks great, I was tempted by your Chocolate Vaders but if I try it I’ll definitely go the Orange-Chocolate-Cinnamon route!

Amy Evans says:

Ok I just have to say that I look at your site almost daily because my brain is fried and I rely on you to come up with my dinner plans :) So I saw these cookies today and it gave me quite a chuckle! They are so cute and who wouldn’t love a skeleton or mummy cookie?! By far the cutest Halloween cookies I’ve ever seen. A must-make for our family!

Megan Kemmey says:

Hi! How many days do these cookies stay nice and moist? I’m looking to send a care package, and wanted to include some cute Halloween cookies like these! Do you think they would mail well, and if not do you know other baked goodies that do? Thanks!

I honestly don’t know Megan- I’ve never kept them longer than a day! But I imagine they would be fine. Sugar cookies with glace icing would be great too. Click on the link in our sidebar for spider web cookies; those would be perfect! Also our ginger spice cookies would do pretty well.

I love these cookies…so cute! I had to share them today…you are so full of creative ideas!

Samantha says:

This is a really amazing use of gingerbread cookie dough & cutters before Christmas time. Hooray for gingerbread men in October! Also, those bows are the cutest thing ever.

Dulce DeLeon says:

Hi erbrea there! Congratulations what a cute projects. A gingerbread boy and a gingerbread girl, absotlutely gorgeous, and the bow, love it!!!!Thanks for sharing.

Mikayla says:

I just made a batch with and a batch without the espresso. I prefer it without the espresson because its less bitter. They were a lot more time consuming then the I had thought. They did turn out nice but not as nice as yours! I think I prefer your sugar cookie recipe. For some reason, some of the cookies got kind of soft after they cooled down… Keep in mind that the cookies will be really sweet with the mummy frosting….

Denise says:

Oh my gosh! I am totally going to make these this week! LOVE the mummies especially!

Karmalily says:

These cookies are a great idea. Gingerbread is so delicious it should definitely not be limited to one short season!

Those are so darn adorable!!! And “cookie goddess”…hmmm, I may need hubby to start referring to me that way, lol. ;)

Chip says:

How did you get the mummy cookie frosting to be so wide looking as opposed to the bones?

vanessa says:

Those are so cute!

Angela says:

How adorable!!
    Ok, here comes my sugar cookie snobness… obviously these won’t taste like the grocery store goodness, but are they soft and heavenly? Plus, can you give me an idea about how many this recipe makes? Just love reading your posts… total hilariousness:) And the bows and hearts are a total additional cuteness!! tdf (to die for)

Breena says:

These were so inspiring that I has to make some myself for our households annual pumpkin massacre!!! What could be better at a massacre then these cookies! Thank you so much!

I love these!!! You make it all look soooooo easy :) I especially like how you added the accessories!! I can’t help but love a skeleton with a bow on their skull…lol

Nicky H says:

I made these!! WOOHOO!!! I blogged about them here:http://www.nickyhurt.com/2011/10/skeleton-cookies.html I totally gave you credit. These are great and I’ve gotten a lot of compliments!

callie says:

Delicious! Made these today and I’ll definitely be making them again! I can’t wait to see my daughter’s second grade class enjoying their mummy cookies! I also have the star wars cookie cutters and am thrilled to have another recipe to use with them!

BogusRed says:

Thank you so much for this cute idea and recipe. I made these for a party today and they were a huge hit. I must say honestly I don’t think I’ll try the chocolate recipe again. The dough was pretty tricky to roll out and the taste was pretty bland. The dough kept sticking to my non-stick rolling pin even though the dough was sprinkled with cocoa powder. Maybe next time i’ll try the same decoration idea with a different dough.

Pics here:

Karen says:

I can’t say royal icing and I ever “fell out,” since we never got together-he was always too high-maintenance and finicky! However, I bow to all things OBB and tried it for my Valentine cookies with great success! Thanks for the post!

Just made some of these (and blogged about them here – http://beinginspired-blog.blogspot.ie/2012/10/halloween-cookies.html). They are delicious!! Mine aren’t quite as cute as yours though. But I still have time before Halloween to get some more practice in! :) Thanks for the recipe and great idea!

Julie says:

This is one of my favorite halloween recipes. I made this last year and I am planning to make them again. I made the mummy cookies but didn’t make the changed you said in the recipe and then I made a mint butter cream frosting. Who doesn’t love mint chocolate?? They are a hit with every one who tries them! Thank you!!

john says:

These are the cutest little men ever!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

mirta says:

Absolutely brilliant! Will be trying these out for the German School in Prague Halloween party!

Surekha Deshpande says:

Hi Sara,

I have been seeing all the lovely recipes on your blog n have tried a couple. I just want to ask you about the Royl icing… I am from India and it is very difficult to get Meringue powder here. Is there a substitute I can use? I am going to try out your pumpkin bread next week!!