Yeah, I know, that’s probably the cheesiest recipe title ever written. I’m sorry. I generally have a zero-tolerance policy for cheesiness. And yet…here we are. This smoothie and I have a special relationship and like all special relationships, there’s room for a little PDA, right, schnookie wookums?

I’m also trying really, really hard not to make every single one of my posts about being pregnant because I realize that the world is not pregnant with me and I also realize the world does not revolve around my pregnancy and me (unlike my first pregnancy when it did–just ask my sister Annie.)

That said, food and pregnancy are inextricably related, at first for the aversions and then for the cravings. Throw in the fact that, at least for me, a little too much salt, sugar, or fat can send a perfectly good day to a very bad place and I spend a lot of time thinking about food (and, let’s face it, I think about food a lot to begin with).

When I’m growing babies (let’s see how many euphemisms for “pregnancy” I can come up with in a single blog post), breakfast is a tricky meal for me. I need a lot of calories, I need them fast, I need complex carbs and protein, and I hate eggs. Also, I’m dead tired and trying to get two kids up, dressed, fed, not looking like orphans, and sent to school with a decent lunch as well as trying to get a dog to do her business rather than be distracted by the mean neighborhood cats that like to taunt her.

I’ve dabbled in different breakfast options here and there, but most things either leave me feeling weighed down, starving, crashing, or filled with inexplicable road rage an hour later when I’m on my way home after taking my kids to school. (Sidenote: my husband just loves gestating Kate. I do believe I’m painting a lovely picture of myself right now).

So anyway, I started making this smoothie a few weeks ago and it has changed my life. Totally not being overly dramatic here. I’ve tinkered with proportions and I still do from time to time, depending on how I’m feeling and what I’m in the mood for. No, it’s not super low in calories or sugar (although it’s not an over-the-top dessert smoothie made with ice cream or sherbet or frozen yogurt). Yes, it has a juice base, which I realize is not super cool or hip in the smoothie-making universe, and yet…I don’t really care. It does, however, keep me satisfied, energized, and feeling really great for a good three hours (at least). Like…it makes me feel like my batteries have been charged. (Yes, I know, we’re moving back into cheesy territory). If I make and drink a full-sized smoothie (I usually cut it down by at least 1/3), it has 1.8 grams of fat, 8.3 grams of fiber, 21.6 grams of protein, and is loaded with potassium, Vitamin C, folate, calcium, and iron. It has a serving of dairy, 3 vegetable servings, and 4 servings of fruit (plus some change). Not too shabby. Plus it tastes really, really, really good.

So what’s in this magical concoction? Orange juice (try and get the good stuff, like the not-from-concentrate good stuff, not necessarily the fresh-squeezed good stuff, which you are often required to pay for with your firstborn child), non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt (make sure it’s actual Greek yogurt with twice the protein, not Greek-style yogurt that uses thickening agents), frozen blueberries, baby spinach, crushed ice, and oat groats.

Oat what now? Groats.

They’re optional, but, after experimenting with different grains (and no grains), I’ve found that these seem to be the magic ingredient. I found mine at Whole Foods in the bulk section, and I’ve actually seen Bob’s Red Mill brand at my local grocery store (if you can’t find them or don’t want to use them, you can always use steel cut oats). Oat groats are the whole oats (think grains of wheat, only grains of oats…except that they’re groats of oats…) They’re loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and help stabilize your blood sugar. They help keep you feeling full and satisfied. Plus, you don’t have to cook them, which is always a bonus in the morning. You don’t have to use them, and they will add a grainy texture to your smoothie, but I don’t mind it–the oats are sweet and they make me feel like I’m tangibly doing something good for myself, like running on the treadmill or giving up Teen Mom (neither one of which I’ve done lately).

In the jar of your blender, add your juice, yogurt, oat groats (it’s just fun to say…)

blueberries,

spinach (you can’t even taste it, I promise), and crushed ice.

Blend thoroughly–even in my Blendtec, I have to run it through on the whole juice setting twice. This is a serious smoothie. Take it with you when you drive your kids to school. Road rage crises will be averted.

Pin It

Patti says:

I make my smoothie pretty much the same, except who knew about the oat groats? Not me. They aren’t gross groats, are they? It’s true you can’t taste the spinach. I can testify to that. I’m going to have to hunt down some groats.

Ashlee says:

I’m so excited about this!! My boyfriend and I have been talking about doing smoothies for breakfast since he started school last week so this is perfect timing! Plus it gives me an excuse to go to Whole Foods, yay! :)

Rebecca says:

Spinach in a smoothie is the best invention ever. I have NO problem eating my wieght in fruit everyday but veggies can be a challenge…

And I also love how versatile smoothies are, seriously they are the perfect snack (or usually even a meal for me)

I have been kind of addicted to morning smoothies lately, too, and I am not pregnant. I cannot wait to try this one.

I love reading about your pregnancy. And, your food. :)

Thesha says:

Yum! I can’t wait to try this…I am have just found my new favorite breakfast! Thanks for another great recipe.

Thesha says:

yes, I could use one of those smoothies right now to jump start my brain! that should have read- I may have just found…

Martha says:

looks and sounds delicious!

Laura says:

I love smoothies and you are right you can’t taste the spinach at all. Thanks for this one! Makes me want to make it right now!

Laura says:

Any idea what the calorie count is for the full sized smoothie? Thank you for the fantastic recipes. Everyone I tell about your blog absolutely loves it!

Lindsey K says:

I like blueberries okay, but I really prefer Strawberry Banana smoothies. Any idea if adding those two would radically change the benefits of the smoothie?

Haha! See, I don’t like strawberry banana smoothies. It would still be really good for you, but blueberries carry a bigger nutritional punch and bananas are often on the naughty list when it comes to fruits, so it just kind of depends on what you’re after. If that’s what you prefer, go for it! :)

Expecting says:

I just testing positive on the pregnancy test – so this is PERFECT! Must find Oat Grots.. :) LOVE IT (I haven’t told many people so forgive me for the name)

Trisha says:

This sounds great! I don’t have crushed ice but I am sure I can figure something out. It was wonderful to see you two in the New York Times today. Congratulations!

Oh, thank you, Trisha! Regular ice will work fine, you’ll probably just need a little more and it can be hard on your blender. If you know of a restaurant that serves drinks with pebble ice, you can often buy it from them in bags. Hope that helps! :)

Leigh H says:

I love smoothies, and this one looks great! Congrats on the article in the NYT!

Melissa says:

This sounds like the super healthy smoothie recipe I’ve been looking for! Can’t wait to try it. When I was pregnant, I was addicted to smoothies. Let me share with you the one I made all the time – Avocado smoothie. Yes, I know it sounds weird, but it was delicious and nutritious. I don’t have proportions, but you are the pro and I know you can figure it out ;)

Avocado
    Vanilla Greek yogurt
    Skim milk
    Honey
    Ice

And blend! I bet the groats would be good in here, too. Although I really enjoyed the super smooth, creamy texture of this one.

Rachael says:

I’m addicted to smoothies in the summer time. Another “super food” that I like to add in smoothies are Chia seeds. I got this off the website thechiaseed.com, “Adding just 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to your daily
    diet will give you approximately 7 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, 205 milligrams of calcium, and
    a whopping 5 grams of omega-3!” Bob’s Red Mill sells them.

Kbell says:

Hi Kate,
    Any chance you know the nutritional info on this? Only because I am being lazy, and why figure it out if you already know?
    Thanks

Not off the top of my head (I calculated it last night, but I didn’t save it). Calories are in the 400-450 range for the whole smoothie and vitamins and minerals are off the charts.

Brittney H says:

Since I have been track everything I eat and am interested in eating I already did an analysis of the recipe. Here is what I came up with from http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

1 Serving
      Phosphorus 30.0 %
      Riboflavin 38.5 %
      Selenium 2.1 %
      Thiamin 34.4 %
      Zinc 5.0 %

Kbell says:

Sorry, I just saw that someone else already asked, and your answer. Thank you.

Larissa says:

I too am pregnant (due in June with my first) and the breakfast/snack/lunch/snack routine is kind of killing me. Dinner is no problem, usually because I’m so starving by then that I will eat anything. This smoothie will be the perfect solution for when I can’t think of something to eat (which is every day). THANK YOU!!!

Karen says:

Where did you get that great smoothie cup with lid and straw?

Beth J says:

I would probably grind the oat groats in a coffee grinder (or similar) before adding them to the smoothie. You’d get a much better texture (thick, not grainy), and you’d your blender from some hard work. :)

Good call! You can also soak the oats in the OJ overnight, which helps a LOT.

• Amy says:

SO….would that mean that one could make up a work-week’s worth in one go (minus the frozen blueberries and ice) and then just add that in and blend each morning? I just tend to be a bit, um, lazy in the morning, but I wondered if the oats would swell or get glumpy or gooey or something if they sat in liquid (just thinking cold oatmeal here).
        And, by the way, you all rock, as do your recipes!

• I probably wouldn’t do it more than overnight, but you could definitely put the orange juice and oats in your blender each night before you go to bed and then whip the rest of it up in the morning. I think you might even run into some fun sprouting issues if you went a week, hahaha! :)

• Amy says:

Eeeew. You are probably right – thanks! That would have been a most unpleasant surprise.

• Jenn says:

I recently saw a post about putting all the ingredients in a baggy and freezing them together, that way you can just add the oats and blend in the morning. I’m thinking about freezing oj and yogurt in ice cube trays first and adding them too.

• Jenn says:

I guess freezing the OJ would break my blender. Maybe freezing the yogurt, but adding the juice so my blender doesn’t die :)

Beth J says:

…you’d *save your blender some hard work. Oops.

Amie says:

This looks super yummy! Could you cook the oats first? I’m thinking overnight in my crock pot. I’m not sure my cheap blender could handle them.

As a “Gestating Emily” (my husband just loves having me around as well :) who fully believes in a ‘the world does revolve around me and my growing parasite’ pregnancy, I appreciate any post on foods that stay in my stomach and not in the toilet, on the floor, in a towel, or whatever else is handy to barf in! Thanks – p.s. you gotta try a chocolate banana protien shake with oats in it…saved my life and my marriage :)

I’m so glad I’m not alone, hahaha! I will definitely try out the protein shake–the shakes themselves are never quite enough, but that sounds perfect!

• danielle says:

this makes me laugh – i’m also pregnant with #3 – due in september. now, this caught my eye because a couple weeks ago i got some stomach something (on top of gaggy pregnancy business) and puked up yogurt. i certainly will never be eating yogurt from a spoon again in probably my whole entire life, but i need the dairy (i think milk is yucky) – and this seemed like a perfect alternative. and. i. love. it. been my morning routine since friday! i added a half of a banana too.

Shannon says:

Hmmm…I’ve been on a major smoothie kick since going back to work after maternity leave. Banana is amongst my favorite, but I’ve been looking for other ideas since they aren’t exactly the best in the fruit department. I’m not a huge blueberry fan, but I bet mixing mango with the blueberries would be good!

Asia says:

So I have a 16oz cup with a straw (like yours) should I half the recipe or cut it down by 1/3 to not have a ton left over?

Asia says:

Oh, and your smoothie is purple and the cup is orange… Those were my wedding colors :)

I would cut it in half and I think you’d be super close to the 16 ounce mark (a lot of the bulk comes from the ice). And that is AWESOME about your colors! :)

• Asia says:

Half the recipe hit the 16oz mark EXACTLY. I did have to add a little more juice for my blender to handle it. Taste was awesome!I had to use apple instead of orange juice because of acidity but still, awesome!

Anne says:

Looks delicious! I remember when I was pregnant I usually ended up eating two breakfasts since I would be hungry less than two hours after eating the first time! The same thing sometimes happens now even though I’m not expecting. And I love the fact that it has spinach in it…I might start adding spinach to all my smoothies! :o)

Shannon B says:

I’m anxious to try this…thanks!!

Tara says:

I loooove this post. I’m 30 wks pregnant and anemic and even my spinach and fruit smoothies are making me crash. Maybe groats are the answer? Worth a shot, definitely. Thanks!

sueAnn Deeble says:

Tara, are you using the greek yogurt too, like Sara say, the extra protien will also halo ypu from crashing, and yes, the fiber and protien in the oats help a ton too. I used steel cut cause I already have a ton of them and they work as well as the groats. I would also use half a cup of milk and half a cup only of orange juice, less calories and sugar and more protein. (actually, I would use a third of a cup of each as this is a big smoothie) (or protien shake as I would call it!)

Brooke says:

I am pregnant with my 3rd, and the way you described how you feel, about food and what you need, etc is exactly the way I feel! This sounds like a great recipe. I am definitely going to try it out. Some days smoothies are the only thing that sound good. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda says:

I’m in love! I happened to have everything on hand yes, even the groats. My 2 year old even liked it!

LOVE smoothies! Have only just recently started adding spinach, but love it! Have never put any non-fruits-or-veggies in mine – not even yogurt, but especially never any grains, flaxseed, etc, etc. Will have to try it! Also wondering about the whole juice base being “not super cool or hip in the smoothie-making universe” – I’m not familiar with that. Is it really that big of a faux-pas??

Alaine says:

A smoothie recipe that I just saw yesterday, (and tried out yesterday) is super simple and yummy. Thought you might want to tweak it to make the baby happy and try it out. It’s just 1/2 Cup milk, half a banana, some ice, and a glob of peanut butter. Ok, it called for 1 teaspoon of pb, but honestly, how can you call it a banana and pb smoothie with only a tiny speck of pb? I changed the portions, and it was very yummy!

Carrie Overman says:

When I was pregnant I was on a smoothie kick too! Until I made a mixed berry one before a doctor’s appointed and went half the freakin day with berry seeds in my teeth and no one told me!!! This one looks safe – no seeds!!

stephanie says:

I for one am really glad you’re sharing a pregnancy-related recipe because I’m really grasping at straws here with #5! I’ve never felt so tired, sick or old in my whole life! I’m excited to try this one!

Kimberly Garner says:

I’m excited to try this! I’m expecting as well, and I’m always looking for something quick but healthy and filling for breakfast! Thanks!

Julie says:

Bless you. I am also pregnant and looking for healthy breakfast foods that won’t pack on the pounds. Thanks so much.

Shar says:

I’m not pregnant, but exclusively breastfeeding my four month old leaves me very hungry. Definitely going to try this!

Suzanne says:

Just a heads up–those cups are awesome, I get mine from Walmart all of the time, but Sam’s Club now carries them in a pack of 6 for $20 and they are for hot or cold drinks!! Amazing. The straw comes out and you have a little sliding spout for your hot peppermint cocoa days (when you can drink those again…hot cocoa and pregnancy didn’t mix well for me)

I drink a smoothie every day for breakfast that is very similar to this but I have never seen the Groats in it before. I will have to try it. Mine does have a banana in addition to the blueberries (or frozen cherries) for sweetness and I change up the juice, plus mine has ground flax in it, just for the health benefits :) Thanks for posting this – I can’t wait to get some groats to throw in!

Ellie says:

I make smoothies like this all the time (but I use chia seeds instead of oat groats). We love to have them when we have any kind of pancakes for dinner (which was at least twice a week the last time I was pregnant) because it feels like we are still having a salad with dinner but I don’t have to eat salad with my pancakes, which would just be weird.

Also, judging from the comments I think a good portion of the world actually IS pregnant with you! Good luck to all of you! My #6 is 4 months old and I am happy to be on this end of it!

Amanda says:

This looks incredibly tasty. Unfortunately, as a fellow-gestator (is that a word?), my gallbladder and liver don’t like me right now. Dairy, fats, sugar, and many acidic foods (OJ, tomatoes) are on my Don’t Eat list. So, I gaze longingly at OBB and hope that someday my body will be mine again. In the mean time, I’m loving the pregnancy posts.

Oh, that SUCKS! My husband had a major gallbladder crisis last spring (I’ll spare you the details so I don’t scare you), so you don’t want to mess with it! Are they going to take it out after you have your baby?

• Amanda says:

Based on family history, I know that it will probably have to come out at some point. So, the plan is to have it taken out sometime between this baby and the (possible) next one. (My husband has had his out, too. My kids’ gallbladders are DOOMED.) As long as I stick to beans, chicken breast, and other bland, boring foods, I’m fine for now. But there are some days that I have been tempted give away my first-born for the ability to eat an amazing chocolate chip cookie! :)

Teeny Jones says:

Just bought some of this yogurt. Excited to try this smoothie!

Dawn says:

can you use frozen spinach? what would be the amount adjustment?
    and I too would grind my oats in a coffee grinder before putting them in the smoothie

I wouldn’t use frozen spinach; it’s kind of globby and wet. You can keep fresh spinach good a lot longer by placing it in Ziploc bags when you get home and then opening the bags as little as possible, if that helps at all! :)

• Ellie says:

I have used frozen spinach in smoothies and it works ok, but the flavor is stronger so you need more of the other stuff if you don’t want to taste the spinach. Really ripe bananas are good for this. Also, a paper towel in the bag with your spinach helps it stay fresh longer.

Dacia says:

Thanks for the great smoothie recipe! I have been making “green smoothies” for quite awhile now & love them. I’ve never tried the oat groats, will have to try that, but I do use ground golden flax… It has a very mild nutty flavor that blends really well into just about anything, and the health benefits are amazing! I can’t even taste it in smoothies, but it adds protein, fiber, antioxidants, omegas… Just to name a few.

Jamie says:

Congrats on baby! I’m also pregnant (yes, the world does revolve around food and the “results” of eating said food, so to speak…) and constantly looking for ways to get my protein, nutrients and fiber in new and exciting ways. This smoothie looks AWESOME. Two questions – would I lose anything by cooking the oat groats (yup, very fun to say!) if I don’t want grainy-smoothie-syndrome?? And does the smoothie last in the fridge/freezer for any length of time if I can’t drink it all at once?

Jamie says:

Looks like I should read the other comments before asking questions – I see both of mine answered. Happy Gestating, my fellow pregos! = )

I would try either soaking the oat groats in the orange juice overnight (either in the blender, or just pouring it all into the blender in the morning) or grinding them in a coffee or wheat grinder to get a super-fine consistency.

If I have leftovers and no one to drink them, I can keep it in the freezer for 2-3 hours or in the fridge for a bit longer (depending on how liquidy it ended up coming out).

Hope that helps! :)

Rhonda says:

I have Coach’s Oats. How similar to groats in nutrition do you think they are? And thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes!

Rhonda says:

Oh, and if you don’t mind, you said about 450-500 calories for the full recipe? Is that about 2 16oz servings? Just wondering…I’m done having babies and trying to lose some weight :)

Hannah says:

I’ve been wanting to made a serious smoothly lately and this is just the one I’m going to try. Hope my little grocery store out here – 5 hours from the nearest whole foods store — has oat groats and that my blender is up to the challenge.

Rhonda says:

Thank you for the quick response you guys are awesome! Yes Coach’s is a brand their oats are very good cooked..not pasty and gummy :) Check out their site for more info http://www.coachsoats.com And if you have time could you let me know what some of the nutritional similiarities are like fiber, protein, etc. I live in the mountains and am 1 1/2 hours from nearest grocery store. So just really anxious and curious to know :) thanks much! BTW Coachs oats has 1/3 c serving: 3g fat, 160 cal, 10mg sodium, 27g carb, 4g fiber 2 soluble 2 insoluble, 0 sugars, and 6g protein

Jamy Bailey says:

Fantastic! I am so excited to try this! I, too, struggle with breakfast. Even when I’m not pregnant, I hate eggs, and cereal just makes me stuffy and grumpy. I have seen so many blogs that say ‘just experiment with different ingredients’ for a smoothie. I don’t do well with that! I appreciate an actual recipe! And for the addition of the oat groats. Never knew what they were and I bet it will help me a ton in the morning! BTW, congrats on the baby! =)

Tiffani Wingert says:

You can buy bags of crushed ice from the meat counter at any grocery store or sonic drive-in! I live on it when I’m pregnant! Also, have you ever tried adding flax to your smoothies? It’s pretty good.

MaryB says:

This looks so good! I really enjoy smoothies, but so many recipes contain banana, and I can’t stand bananas. Even the smell turns my stomach, and no, I’m not pregnant. Great idea to “sneak” in some greens, too.

Jenn says:

Kate–You got a Blendtec! Congratulations. When did this happy day occur? I’m jealous of course. (Yeah, you don’t know me. I’m Sara’s friend from the PacU days :)

Rebecca says:

Since I’m already 33 weeks pregnant, I wish you could have found and posted this recipe sooner! :) Can’t wait to try it.

Scott says:

I wonder if you’ve read up at all on what happens to these “fresh, nonconcentrated” orange juices? They’re stored for months on end, then rejuvenated with some mysterious “flavor packs,” in order to get the flavor they want. It sounded almost worse than buying frozen concentrates. At least those are processed and frozen at the peak of the season.

I have…and I worry about it to a certain extent. But as far as I can tell, the only major company that doesn’t do it is Whole Foods and we don’t have one nearby. Concentrated orange juice does something similar. I love OJ and fresh-squeezed isn’t realistic for me. I don’t know exactly what’s in the flavor packs, but some “insiders” have said it’s the pulp, oils, rinds, etc. from oranges that have been juiced more recently and if that’s the case, while it’s not ideal, I personally don’t find it the WORST thing in the world. A lot of materials I’ve read on it have had a very fear-mongering, one-sided tone to them, so until I see a little more balanced literature on it, I’m not going to freak myself out about it (but I’m also not going to drink excessive OJ. :) )

meredith says:

Thanks for sharing this one Kate! I’ve been doing pumpkin protein shakes based on the OBB pumpkin milkshake recipe since Thanksgiving and adding oatmeal to the top, so I’m excited to try this new version! Went right out today and found oat groats as well as steal cut oats in those big bins at Winco. This is going to be a great summer version :-) All your January posts have been FABULOUS … I’m making pretty much every-single-one of them, you girls are the best!!

Lisa says:

I’m prego too and need a quick breakfast this smoothie would be great if I didn’t get horrible heartburn. Any suggestions on a different juice rather then OJ? Thanks

You can play around with the juices that work for you; apple is much more mild in flavor, but it’s also great at taking on the flavors around it, so that might be a good option. Juice in general can be pretty acidic (and I completely relate–I get really bad heartburn, too).

• Asia says:

I can’t have orange juice because of the acidity, I made mine with apple and it was great :)

Josie says:

Can you use a regular blender or do you have to have a juicer?

Leslie says:

Thanks Kate!!! I am so glad you posted this, because guess what! You’re NOT the only one pregnant in the world! So am I! I’m still early in my first trimester, but this is EXACTLY what I need. This is my fourth child and I know what busy mornings feel like with kids and school schedules. Thanks!

Keren says:

Delicious recipes aside, I love your little anecdotes as well. Your description of not sending your kids to school looking like orphans made me laugh out loud because I often think the same thing when I’m trying to get my three wee ones up and out in the mornings, looking and feeling groomed and fed. No easy task!! Keep up the great work and the wonderful sense of humor, you’ve got a great thing going!!

Jenn Harbertson says:

If using steal cut oats in place of oat groats, is the nutritional comparison of the two the same? Meaning an equal exchange?
    Going to make one for my teenage son who works out everyday, plays basketball everyday, is so trim abd thin (not fair!) and is ALWAYS starving and looking for high protein foods.
    Thanks!

Some people will tell you that it’s not–they say that because steel cut oats are chopped up groats, they lose some of their nutrition when they were cut (after being exposed to oxygen, not because you’re, like, chopping up vitamins and minerals, haha!). This may be true to a certain extent, but I think for all intents and purposes, steel cut oats are probably just as good as groats. :)

Kristine says:

Just finished by morning kickboxing class, and rushed home to make this. I had been thinking/dreaming about it since yesterday. Talk about a yummy smoothie, and when you said makes “one giant smoothie” you weren’t kidding! Thanks for another great recipe

Stacy says:

I was so happy to see this recipe and can’t wait to try it out. We need to get a better blender for sure. I would personally love to see more smoothie recipes. I struggle with just throwing together my own. Thanks!

Mirien says:

Thanks for the idea–I’ve never tried adding oat groats, but I’ve got a stash of them so I’m going to try it today! Also, I thought I’d say that I buy a huge (2.5 lbs) bag of spinach from Costco. If I can’t use it all before it starts to wilt, I just stick the whole bag in the freezer, and then use it in smoothies and soups. Works great!! And I use juice in mine, too, except I just put in a spoonful of frozen concentrate and some water. If I have juice in the fridge, it disappears so fast that I can never keep it on hand. (I have 6 kids, three of them teenagers!)

Stacey says:

I made this for breakfast today and loved it!!! I shared with my husband and I wish I would have kept it all for myself. Very tasty and filled with things I know are great for my body. This is going to be a go to from now on. Thanks for the deliciousness!

Mary Ellen says:

I so want to try this! I am pregnant and need some energy ASAP! Don’t know if I can find the oat groats here in the UK, I may have to google to see if there is a health food store close by.
    It will also help my two toddlers get in the fruit and veggies they have currently decided to boy cot, they will drink anything.
    I am excited to try it.

Amber says:

Mmmm love this idea. I am not prego but eat like I am so I think I will go make this right now! I love Oat Groats and use them in my Healthy Blender Pancakes. Very hearty and delicious if you want to them a try http://www.thrivequickdish.com/2012/01/20/whole-wheat-blender-pancakes-aka-delicious-and-healthy-omega-3-pancakes/

Becky LaClaire says:

I needed this recipe like… 10 years ago! I have eaten a bowl of oatmeal almost every morning through 5 pregnancies (it was the only thing that kept me going in the morning). A smoothie would have been a nice change:) Looks delish!

Debbie Allen says:

Do you have any idea what the carb count is? As a diabetic, juice smoothies are usually off my list of go-to foods, but this one sounds like it has so many other redeeming qualities that I might be able to make it work.

Jessica Cluff says:

Kate you answered my prayers! This smoothie is the only thing going for me today….I just returned from a root canal & two crowns at the dentist, saw your post yesterday, and thankfully had all the ingredients at home – just whipped it up and am sipping it through the side of my mouth that isn’t numb & puffy – thank you! love it!

Monica says:

I just made this! It tastes fantastic! The only alteration I made was to add one packet of Stevia to give it a little sweet boost that I crave. I even found Red Mill oat groats in my grocery store in the baking section. Who knew? Thanks for this.

Heidi Allred says:

Hmmm… NOT gestating here, and hopefully won’t be ever again. I already have FOUR of the little products of a pregnancy. LOVE them so much. Don’t want any more. ;) That said, I’m trying to get in some healthier foods, more veges… trying to lose weight since I no longer have the “well, I’ll just get pregnant again and gain it back” excuse. Looks like I’ll have to pull out the blender and go buy some oat groats. This looks yummy. My fave breakfast is yogurt, granola, and frozen blueberries, so this is kinda like that but all mixed up and yummy. Thanks for posting, and best wishes for a healthy baby. :)

Christina Murphy says:

Well. I only have six weeks to go in the bun in the oven department. This looks yummy and a great idea for something nutritious that won’t feel bulky since I have no room inthe middle anymore for food but this little guy is hungry! Plus I am a sucker for frozen blueberries and a little extra spinach never hurts a pregnant women’s messed up digestion

Leslie says:

What is the difference between steel cut oats and regular oatmeal? Can I use regular oatmeal in this smoothie?

I tried another smoothi with spinach and loved it! I’d love to try this recipe too…thanks for sharing.

Brittany says:

Ok, so this looks amazing! And, although I’m not pregnant I still crash if my breakfast is too sugary. You know I’m not a breakfast fan, but I love a good smoothie! Maybe this will be the magic breakfast I’ve been looking for! Thank you friend! :)

Jacqueline says:

This is perfect timing; really! I was thinking to myself this morning, “what can I add to my kids’ breakfast smoothies that will sustain them longer?” Then I jumped on here tonight to check the bacon-in-the-oven directions and viola! There was a smoothie! With SPINACH and OAT GROATS (and yes it IS fun to say)! Who knew? You gals are SO TOTALLY the best ever! Thanks for this :)

Amy says:

Thank you so much for this post!! I, too, am pregnant and have been struggling with what to eat in the mornings and never getting enough protein! I made this today, and felt like a million bucks all morning! Thank you and I hope you are feeling well! :-) CONGRATS!

Kelli says:

Kate, I love this! I am also pregnant and struggle with finding things to eat for breakfast that sound good. (everything sounds gross to me right now) This is great for me because it has all the calories I need since I usually loose weight in my first trimester. I also love because I can sip on it throughout the morning!

Kelly S says:

So, I have a question but it’s not about this smoothie. :) Didn’t you guys used to have a recipe for salted caramel cupcakes? And the caramels were half-dipped in melted chocolate? I made it for a friends’ baby shower last year and they were delicious, and now I can’t find the recipe… just curious. :)

Kate McP says:

I made this smoothie for lunch today and it was yummy, very filling, and my 2 year old loved it, too! I had a little leftover steel cut oats from b’fast that I had cooked overnight in the crock pot so I used that. The consistency was nice, not gritty at all. Will definitely make this again!!

Could you grind Oat Groats in the wheat grinder? I have never tried that but am wondering if that would work? I have a NutriMill and would think it would work …

Dayna Bangerter says:

I’ve been meaning to try the smoothie thing forever. This looks like a great recipe. Just a side note- it’s my understanding that spinach contains quite a bit of estrogen, so if you are going to have it everyday – you might want to add a variation of greens…

Momma B says:

I am having one of these for breakfast right now and oh wow it is so delish!!! I’ve never had a smoothie with spinach but I decided to give it a try and I’m so glad I did! We’ll see how long it keeps me full, I only have 5 weeks left of pregnancy and hoping this will help with the I’m starving but can only eat a small amount then starving again in an hour problem. Thanks!!!

Carol F. says:

My 2-year-old and I made a half recipe yesterday and shared it for our afternoon snack. We both loved it! When I pulled out the spinach, she asked me if we were having salad for our snack. She didn’t mind at all that it ended up in her smoothie. We made it again today, and I found that my blender handled it better if I blended the spinach with the OJ first before adding the remaining ingredients. I also ground my steel cut oats in my spice grinder before adding those.

Lindsy says:

GREAT post. Really fun to read and we loved the smoothie! Thank you. I am now a spinach in smoothie convert. I didn’t believe you when you said you couldn’t taste it, but now I am a believer. :)

dar says:

i just stick the bag of pre-washed spinach from costco or sam’s in the freezer as soon as i get it home. it’s frozen but it is nothing like frozen spinach, if that makes any sense. even with 6 kids and smoothies everyday we don’t use up the whole costco bag before it rots if i don’t freeze it. mahalo for such a great site, we love every recipe i have tried, no joke!!

Angela says:

Do you know that a lot of “bagged” salads are washed in a chemical solution. You should still wash your bagged salad with something like fit or give it a REALLY good rinsing with several doses of water

Stephanie says:

I love that you watch Teen Mom…it’s my guilty pleasure show :)

Ali says:

Just stuck a couple peeled whole oranges in instead of juice so that I can make the smoothie without any shame :)

Natasha says:

I’m pregnant too and still have trouble with typical breakfast foods. This looks wonderful!

Jenna says:

I am pregnant with my second set of twins which will be babies # 5 & 6!! I too dislike eggs and the trouble of actually cooking breakfast every morning, especially since I’m not a breakfast person not preggo. I do believe this smoothie is the answer to my search for the perfect breakfast food and mid afternoon snack!! Thanks sooo much!

Cherie says:

This sounds great. My family just purchased a Bendtec and my youngest kids, (13 and 14) are hooked on smoothies. I often throw in some wheat germ, and they never know. I can’t wait to try this. Such an easy way to start my kids day, and giving them what they need for a busy high school day.

Christy says:

I love smoothies with spinach. FYI, pineapple is a wonderful addition.

Rachel says:

I made this smoothie this morning. It was enough for my husband and I. I loved it. It was very nutritious-tasting. And even though I only had half the recipe it still kept me full for 3 hours. I put some oats (like normal oats that you use for oatmeal) in it and that was good. I only ran it on the whole juice button once because of this. I was so excited that I was eating so many healthy things all at once, so easily, in a smoothie. Thank you for sharing this!

Jamie says:

Had to pop in to say this is delish with kale (no spinach on hand) and that I froze the other half then defrosted on the “juice” setting the next day and it was perfect – like new. My pregnant digestion wasn’t so happy with it later, but I’m going to tweak to see what works. Good stuff!

Wendy C says:

This sounds wonderful – I’m just venturing into the world of smoothies – for me and for my kids – how many calories does this have per serving?

I’ve calculated in the 400-450 range. Someone else got the 350 range, but fewer nutrients. I really think it depends on what software you use.

brianna says:

our whole family lives off smoothies for breakfast…I give myself full credit for getting at least 2 servings of vegetables into my family before 9am. I put the ingredients in the blender the night before and just stick the pitcher in the fridge. Then it only takes about 30 seconds to make breakfast in the morning! Don’t worry, nothing wilts…I’ve been using spinach and kale in our smoothies for years and it’s all still fresh tasting in the morning.

patty says:

I had mine this morning….. Minus the groats. I put fresh squeezed OJ and it was really good! I couldn’t taste the spinach. Thank you

Angela says:

I keep forgetting to add the greek yogurt and I always have this in my frig!! But I do occasionally add some frozen strawberries to this mix. Ever since I saw this I have been making it for either breakfast or a snack at night to fight the munchies! Thanks for sharing!!

Angela says:

Oh and I occasionally throw in some ground flaxseed too to get some omega threes in. I typically mix my stash of ground flaxseed into pancakes or baked goods

Michele says:

I had a few modifications to this recipe. At my local grocery store I wasn’t able to find oat grains.. so I substituted the oats out for Bear Naked Peak Flax – Oats and Honey w/ Blueberries. (Which is 100% natural granola) and I used the Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt 0%. After I had blended this, I realized I didn’t used the recommended amount of yogurt ..I had read my hand writing wrong and used 1/4 not 3/4. So it probably would have been a bit more creamier had I of used the larger amount. Even though, it was still the best spinach smoothie I’ve had yet! Super Delicious! :D

Sara says:

have you ever frozen this? Made 2 normal sized smoothies, drank one and froze the other for the next day? curious if this would work…

Thanks!

Jordan says:

I think I need to try this. I am pregnant and hate eggs as well. I could definitely use the calories and protein in this smoothie. Thanks for the recipe!

Leah says:

The store I shop at doesn’t carry vanilla greek yogurt so I just added a tiny bit of agave and used plain greek yogurt and it worked out just great!

Liz W says:

I make a spinach smoothie every morning too! So delicious. I found that you can experiment with frozen fruits and juices. Right now I’m on a huge pomegranate juice kick – it really sweetens the whole thing up, but it’s pricey! I’m using mango and strawberries as my added fruit. To bring in protein I use a vanilla flavored protein powder. All and all a delicious way to start the day. :)

Charity says:

Made these tonight for dinner & the entire family (EVEN all 5 kids) LOVED it! Wish I would have had this recipe when I was pregnant with our quadruplets! Will pass it along for sure!

Charity says:

^^^I should correct myself…as a SIDE with dinner! ha!

Corene says:

I couldn’t find oat groats but I did find buckwheat groats….what do you think? I’m going to try them…they can’t make the taste THAT different, right? Thanks for a fab recipe! Plus, it’s been fun to read your readers comments and find out how many pregnant mommies are using your site. :) As a side note, I am a proselytizing fan: I’ve given your cookbook as gifts and post your recipes regularly to my FB page. I’ve won over many OBB converts.

Hi!
    A few other great things to add to your smoothie…Chia seeds (costco), Aloe Vera Juice (Trader Joe’s), and a half of a lemon (peel and all).

My morning smoothie in my Blentec:
    Almond milk (1/2 cup)
    Aloe Vera Juice (2-6oz)
    Banana (peeled)
    1/2 avocado (peeled)
    pineapple (a few chunks…husk the pineapple but make sure to include the rind as it has tons of fiber and bromene)
    1/2 lemon
    whole carrot
    grapes (small handful)
    blueberries (small handful)
    chia seeds (2 Tbsp)
    spinach & Kale (as much as will fit)
    ice
    scoop of vanilla protein powder

This seems like a lot, but I do some prep work before. I will cut up and freeze leftover pineapple, avocado, strawberries, grapes, blueberries etc and put them into quart sized freezer bags by serving sizes.
    I’m trying to cut back some of the fruit and start adding more vegetables like the carrot and kale and avocado…

Robin says:

I tried this after work and it was delicious. Mine did not turn as purple as the picture and I needed to grind or soak the oat groat. I used plain greek yogurt instead of vanilla and it was sweet enought without the added sugar. I am going to make this for my daughter, Kate and tell her it is called, “Kate’s power smoothie”.

rachel says:

Would it be benefical to soak the groats over night?

Michelle S. says:

I just made this smoothy this morning and it was a HIT! My husband saw the pic of everything in the blender and said “Please don’t put spinach in there.” I said fine, but it was already too late, spinach was already in…and he couldn’t tell! Ha! HA! Thanks for sharing a great recipe. Congrats on the pregnancy, even though we don’t know eachother, I’m really excited for you!

Sarah says:

This is a great smoothie. Everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe.

My sister is pregnant, but also has Ciliacs (sp?). Is this recipe gluten-free? (Trying not to sound toooo naive lol)

AGNES SEVERIN says:

Try the smoothie very delicious….can I use it the next day…..or has be all used immediately…

Cydney B says:

Just discovered your blog and am IN LOVE! Quick question about the smoothie — could I use a good food processor instead of a blender? Thank ya! :)

Ragan says:

Made this for a few days and absolutely loooved it but then I would get sick soon after. A week later I found out the oj (after having it alone) apparently strikes me with morning(?) sickness this go round. Any suggestions on an alternative? Could I omit it? I wonder how it would effect the taste.

I’m willing to bet that what feels like morning sickness is acid reflux (mostly because I have severe acid reflux in my pregnancies and they feel identical; I didn’t realize that I DIDN’T still have morning sickness at 24 weeks when my new OB gave me a prescription for reflux medication).

ANYWAY. :) Most juices are at least a little acidic, but OJ is pretty bad. You could play around with different non-citrus juices and see what you like. Apple, cherry, or white grape might work.

Dani Lambe says:

This looks delicious! Unfortunately, I have gestational diabetes, and my dietician says I shouldn’t have juice. Is there any way I can cut back on the sugar? Do you think it might be okay with milk instead of orange juice?