One of my goals in life is to somehow make miniature versions of every food ever made.  Okay not really, but I do sort of have a little obsession with miniaturizing things.  I love puffed pancakes (aka Dutch Baby, German Pancake, etc.)  and as I was making Brazilian Cheese Rolls the other day, I realized they have a similar batter, which made me think I should try little bite-sized versions of these too.   Lots of people make these in a big 9×13 pan and cut it into squares, I usually prefer mine in a cast iron skillet because the edges cook up so crisp and brown, but this is a fun little twist.  I often try to think of ways to make foods easier for my kids to eat and these are just so…poppable!

This is something we make often at my house (sometimes even for dinner!) because it’s made with super basic ingredients.  Just milk, flour, eggs, and a bit of butter.  I make mine with the least amount of eggs possible, so it’s not so…eggy.  They’re just soft and pillowy and perfect for dipping in just about anything.  I just put everything in my blender and then pour them into a mini muffin tin.

Unless of course your awesome blog partner sent you the world’s cutest cast iron mini-heart pan for Christmas, then definitely use that.

Pop the pan in a hot oven and watch that batter puff right up.  See how those edges browned up?  That’s why I love using cast iron, but a simple nonstick muffin tin works great too.

While they’re in the oven you can whip up a quick berry sauce.  This is one of my sneaky secrets.  It’s so easy to make a fresh berry sauce if you’re like me and keep those bags of frozen fruit in the freezer for smoothies.  The triple berry mix from Costco is great, or just frozen strawberries or raspberries.  Or fresh certainly works as well, but I don’t usually have a fridge stocked with fresh berries in January.  I just mix up a few frozen berries and a few tablespoons of whatever berry jam I have in the fridge.  I heat it in the microwave for a bit and then mash it all together with a fork, adding sugar if needed.  The jam sweetens and gives body to the sauce and the berries make it taste like it’s fresh.  It’s so easy; I use this for ice cream, pancakes, waffles, and all kinds of stuff like that.

When those little golden puffs are done just pop them onto a plate or platter and drizzle with some melted butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  You can either pour the sauce over, or put it in little bowls for dipping.  My kids love dipping them in maple syrup too.

A little Cool Whip or sweetened whipped cream makes it extra special.

Since these are pretty quick and easy, they’d make a fun special breakfast for Valentine’s Day.

Annnnd I know we’re focusing on healthy eating this month, but stick with me!  The fact that these are miniature makes it really easy to portion.  One little mini muffin sized puff (alone) clocks in at just over 20 calories, so you can definitely have 5 or 6 with some fresh fruit on top and a dallop of cool whip and still not even be splurging.  Eat up!

Pin It

Roxanna says:

This looks amazing! We’re having people over for dessert this week, I’m definitely trying these. Thanks for the great idea. You girls never cease to amaze me!

Jessica says:

I love the idea of cooking them individually…and in hearts!

Julia says:

I have been looking for a sweet, but fairly budget friendly ideas of things I could do for my family on Valentines day! This looks perfect..as always haha! Thanks!

OH I have gone to mini pancake heaven!!! Looks so yummy!! And that heart shaped cast iron is AWESOME I want one!!

Love it!

Keren says:

I am definitely going to make these! My family is into anything pancake / muffin / baked goodie. I noticed that the recipe doesn’t call for any baking powder. How do they get so light and fluffy?
    BTW, I recently discovered your blog and LOVE it! Thanks for all the great recipes :-)

These are so freaking cute! Love this idea.

Thesha says:

We love German pancakes in our house…I will definitely try these next time.

Perfect Valentines Day breakfast. love it!!

Rita May says:

Cute idea….especially in the heart pan. I need to find one ASAP!

Jana says:

Love it!!! My family loves pancakes in any form…so I can’t wait to share this one with them!! Thanks!

These are adorable, what a wonderful Valentine’s treat!

My little chefs are definately going to want to make this recipe. I best be on the lookout for shaped pans!

Carie says:

If I wanted to make this in a 9×13, would this recipe be enough?

Angela says:

There is a restaurant near me who is known for GIANT German panacakes of different flavors… I always get the pineapple one… how do you think they make it?? The pineapple delishiousness seems to be mixed in… and bubbly and OMG DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! It’s so good that I dropped it on the driveway one day and insisted on eating it anyways… yes, not my finest moment:/

Rachel says:

I love this idea. It melds the idea of puffed oven pancake and ebelskiver. Awesome!

colette tervort says:

love this so much!

Patrice Compton says:

I’m so going to make these tonight for dinner. Delicious and quick for a busy sports filled evening.

Melissa says:

Love the pan! Where can we find one?

Camilla Congrove says:

I’m from Holland (aka I’m Dutch) and these slightly reminded me of ‘poffertjes’ (literal translation: little puffers) except that I cook mine on a special cast iron skillet on the stove, that has little indents in it. Fill those with oil or butter, then turn over with a fork. Oh and the real thing actually uses buckwheat flour. They are soooooo delicious. Especially with just a slab of butter and powdered sugar on top….

Camilla Congrove says:

Oops, of course you pour the batter in the indents after putting in the oil/butter, lol. Also, Dutch pancakes are AWESOME. They are kinda like crepes, just a little thicker and usually use a ton of different things IN the batter (apple slices and ham or bacon, vegetables, pineapple, you name it), so delish!

Jana says:

Do you think these can be made without eggs at all? I’m assuming that it is the eggs that make these little guys “puff”. NOt sure if my egg replacer will work? Any ideas?

I’m wondering if I can use my ebelskivar pan for these? Soooo cute; I’m going to give these a try…my son loves anything “bite-sized.” :-)

Melanie Charlton says:

Now that would be something I’d like to wake up to in the morning! What a cute idea!

Meg says:

Here is how “our best bites” day has gone: I began making strawberry freezer jam this morning, and realized I didn’t have enough strawberries for a full batch, so I made some of your Fresh Strawberry Sauce instead. I realized I had some cottage cheese to use up, so I made your Vegetable Dill Dip from your cookbook that we love. For lunch my kids wanted some of the strawberry sauce, so I thought these mini pancake puffs would be perfect dipped in this, and they LOVED this!! And, because I wanted something other than that, I had leftover Italian Potato- sausage soup that we made last night for dinner. Our days pretty much revolve around food from your website- seriously, what would we do without you? My family loves it when I say that the recipe I am making is from Our Best Bites! Thanks for helping us eat so deliciously here in Utah:)

Sara says:

I love your mini obsession! These are great, and I am swooooning over your heart pan!

Ellie says:

My family calls these Hootenanny Pancakes, my husband’s family calls them African pancakes, and our kids call them mountain pancakes. We love them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and they are great with applesauce & jam on them. The heart pan is adorable!

Patti says:

Kate did good when she picked out that pan for you! I’ve been waiting to see what you would post that was “non-healthy” this month. I think this can only barely qualify for that category. I love the berry sauce idea!

T. Mellor says:

These look delicious. I like that you’ve added a “pin it” button above the photo.

Love the “mini” obsession! I’ve just “pinned” these to make them with freeze dried berries for valentine’s day bkfst! Thanks!

Katie says:

Love this!
    What a great idea!

Love the suggestion for making easy berry sauce too!
    Thanks Sara!

Laura says:

This looks so good! I must try this :)

Kirsten says:

Will be making these for dinner tomorrow, yes that’s right, dinner :)

Stacy says:

We just made a dutch baby in a big cast iron skillet last week but I LOVE these mini ones so much more. Plus they keep their “puffiness” since they stay individual size. Thanks for the idea and I love the berry sauce too!!!

Molly says:

Fun to make them mini. I’m “egg”-cited to try making the recipe with only 2 eggs. Mine usually calls for 6-8 (and the same amount of milk and flour as yours!) haha :)

Tarmy says:

Mmmm… I’ve never thought of Mini ones! How fun!

My favorite topping is fresh lemon juice with the powdered sugar…

Allana Z says:

I love the idea of Mini puff pancakes. I think I am going to make these this weekend for my stepdaughters. They love anything mini and they love pancakes! Looks delicious!

Elizabeth says:

Never tried pancakes in the oven before. These look amazing!

leslie says:

Things are always better mini! Butts included :)

Katie S says:

Your blog makes me happy every time I read it! What a cute idea and I love that it’s quick and simple too. My kids would l.o.v.e these. Instead of publishing cookbooks, maybe you should just make a wonderful encyclopedia of all your posts on your blog! :)

heidi says:

where do you get those cast iron muffin pans-I’m in love!

mjfluke says:

I saw some heart shaped cast iron pans made by chefgadget.com -
    They were only $17 – not sure if they are deep enough but they looked good.
    Type in cast iron pans on their website and it comes up. These “pancakes” looks so fun. Thanks for the idea.

Ciara says:

Would love to know where your wonderful Christmas gift came from!

April says:

Oh my! These sound amazing-can’t wait to try this!

Tina says:

These look so yummy! I have heart and snowflake silicon “pans” would that work? If so do I need to preheat them? Would love to try this for my little guy one morning this week.

Dorothy says:

These look so good. I’m totally making some later.

Amanda Livingstone says:

I made these tonight for dinner. The berry sauce was delicious. I cooked my pancake in cast iron skillet. It was really good but it fell very soon after I took it out of the oven. Did I do something wrong?

Asia says:

From what other comments say, I believe that the reason the ones in the post stay “puffed” is because they are so small. Regular skillet oven pancakes typically do fall after being taken out of the oven. So it sounds to me like you did nothing wrong. :)

nope- nothing wrong, it does that! Make a nice spot for filling :)

Oh I want that pan, I would be making everything mini heart shaped! And these sound so good, must try.

Terry Stenstrup says:

I will be looking for a heart-shaped pan as well…. this looks fabulous!!

Tina Reeve says:

I made these this morning and loved them! My husband who isn’t a big fan of pancakes liked them! He really liked the berry sauce!

meredith says:

Way fun and Way Cute!! Weekend dinner for sure … thanks for sharing :-)

Valerie says:

We love these! My mother-in-law makes them in pie plates. It’s just enough for one person and the edges get nice and crispy. We put cooked apple slices with cinnamon, walnuts and a bit of sugar on ours. Delicious!

Jeni says:

So so fun! Can they be made in a regular-size muffin tin?

Tara says:

Can’t wait to make these! I even have a cast iron pan for individual portions I’ve been wanting to use. PERFECT!

Lindley says:

My 3 boys LOVED these! Very easy and super good! They were so excited to try something new…said they tasted like funnel cakes from the fair! Thanks

Lisa Romney Meinzer says:

This is the first time I’ve been to your blog and love it! Thanks!! I also wanted to tell you I didn’t make German Pancakes for years because it was a little too “eggy”. My husband helped one day and we added vanilla and cinnamon and WA-HOO…not eggy tasting (c: (I use 6 eggs, 1 c milk, I c flour, cinnamon and vanilla) I love the high protein from the eggs!

Sandra Skevington says:

So I tried this tonight and mine were really dense and tasted heavy of eggs but I followed the recipe to the letter. Is there a trick involved? I doubled and triple checked to make sure I didn’t miss a thing. I just thought these would be lighter. Also would you suggest any sugar in the batter? Please help.

I know you said you double checked, but it really sounds like you may have mis-measured something. I can’t think of any other reason that they’d be dense. You can add a couple tablespoons of sugar if you like; generally these are made unsweetened to balance out sweet toppings.

Ashley says:

So I used to have this same problem but I learned a trick. Beat your eggs light and fluffy before adding the rest of the ingredients then after you add everything else keep beating and beating for seriously like 5 minutes (I use a hand mixer). Allowing the eggs to whip up makes a big difference. Also make sure the pan is hot, hot, hot! If it hasn’t had enough time in the oven to heat through that can also affect it. As far as taste you can add cinnamon and vanilla to ease the egginess. Hope this helps! :)

Krista says:

Made these for dinner last night-devoured by all. Love it!

Liz says:

Oh my!! It’s 11pm the lights keep flickering(wind storm), and yet here I am whipping up a batch of these. I can’t wait for them to come out of the oven. Hopefully the power won’t go out.

alisha says:

Has anyone tried freezing these? We like to keep frozen waffles and pancakes for quick breakfasts. I would be curious if these would re-heat nicely

Michelle says:

We call these Dutch Babies and make them quite often in a 9×13 pan. They puff up all around the edges. I love the idea of making little ones! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this site!

Joanne says:

Dutch Babies were the first dish I ever ate at my MIL’s house, and it’s been my favorite ever since. She always makes them for me, but my kids don’t really like them. So, _I_ was delighted to try these… but wasn’t sure if my kids would like them or not. Never fear, they thought they were FANTASTIC. Definitely going to make them again, but will probably invest in another muffin tin. lol They take far too long to cook to do one pan at a time. :)

Brittany says:

How cute are those little heart cakes??? I’m not a big pancake fan, but I do like german pancakes and these look similar to the ones I make, but it never occurred to me to make mini ones! My kids are going to love me so much when I make this! Thanks!

Susanne says:

Question…I made these for dinner tonight and they were DELICIOUS! But, something wonky happened when they rose in the oven. I used a square muffin pan, each square being 2.5″. I preheated it in the oven and used Pam instead of butter. The outer edges of the squares rose first causing the center to look sunken but then the centers started to rise as well. So from the top they looked square but sunken and from the bottom they have this kinda wonky part that looks like a pedestal. Didn’t stop us from eating them up. Was this from my pan maybe????

Ashley says:

I’ve never made the smaller size ones but with the larger it is normal to have the sides rise the most with some or few bubbles forming in the middle.

Becky says:

I love oven pancakes- but I had never thought of making them in anything other than one large pan. thanks for the great idea!!!

Heather says:

Made these for Saturday morning breakfast and they were a hit. I dipped some in cinnamon and sugar after buttering them, and my kids loved those the most. It felt like we were eating donuts for breakfast! Thanks!

Cathie Miller says:

I found a cast iron pan from Etsy, but it was $45 plus shipping of $15, but I bought it anyway! Amazon said they were unavailable. It’s so cute!

jill says:

made these today and used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup white flour. dusted with splenda and cinnamon and my girls gobbled them up.

Ashley says:

I have to do a food for Thinking Day (girl scout event). We have the Netherlands this year and this is Perfect!!!! Thank you for making it so easy with your tips and pictures. Yum-o!

Jamie says:

Had planned to make breakfast for dinner tonight – eggs, pancakes, bacon – something I do a few times a month – and then I remembered this post! I just happened to have fresh strawberries on hand and the rest of the ingredients were pantry staples!!! They were amazing! My husband loved the “treat!” Thank you for your amazing ideas…keep up the good work!

Christy says:

So fun and mini. My grandma does an entire mini dinner with mini plates and mini loaves of bread and mini servings our soup, salad, mini meatloaves, with tiny glasses and little pies for dessert. And she makes mini invitations that are delivered with a magnifying glass and mini m&m’s are the table party favors. :) Have fun with mini.

Yoshi Blue says:

These mini puffed oven pancakes with berry sauce sound great. I think they could make a great breakfast treat.

I already had an oven pancake recipe that we loved, but I just had to try yours! And what do you know, I like it better :) My only change was to add a little vanilla extract, yum! Here is my blog post about your wonderful recipe: http://cheesewithnoodles.blogspot.com/2012/02/oven-pancake.html Next time I will bake the batter in my mini muffin tins, I’m excited to see if they turn out puffy like in your pictures.

Kelli says:

These were perfect for breakfast today! In fact, I think they make the perfect breakfast for my three year old! She loves to help cook and the ingredient list is short and easy. She can play while they’re in the oven and I don’t have to watch them like pancakes so they don’t burn. AND (this is the best part) they don’t have any sugar in them! “Pancake balls,” as my daughter called them, are going to become a mainstay breakfast at our house!

I just made these for my family this morning and they were a total hit! My husband said they tasted like something from a restaurant and my picky 4 year old gobbled them right up! I just cooked the berries on the stove with a little lemon juice and sugar and served them with whip cream (from a can!) and they were fabulous! Thanks for the great recipe!

meredith says:

Make these over the weekend. So Cute! So Fun! So Easy! And the quick berry sauce … Yum!
    I bought a mini muffin pan just to make these, and it was so worth it … love the mini version!

Taresa says:

do you think I could make the batter the night before? I like to sleep as late as possible :-)

Jenny says:

Does the melted butter go in the batter or is it just for drizzling? Hoping to make this early in the a.m. for Valentine’s breakfast! Thanks, Jenny C.

Michelle says:

This was a fun Valentine’s Day dinner for our family. Rave reviews from all!
    They remind me of mini popovers :)

Tif says:

Made them last night for our Valentine’s dinner. They were delicious and so pretty too! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!!
    —Tif

Cassandra says:

These are great! I’m about to pull the second batch out of the oven. My picky eaters are really enjoying these. So much better than the other recipe I’ve tried that uses 6 eggs for 1 cup of flour and milk. I made them in a regular muffin tin and they really puff up.

Heather says:

My two year old daughter loves helping make these pancakes! I love that they are so simple she can really help. They taste great too!!!

Amanda says:

This is my second time making these and they are great! I just don’t get why I can only get 14 and the recipe says it yields 24. Maybe my mini muffin tins are bigger? I thought about only filling 1/2 the muffin cup instead of 3/4 full.

Emalee says:

I love this recipe. I’ve made it several times (4 batches at a time) and my kiddos always wish there were more. I agree with another commenter that this is way better than the 6 egg recipe and I’ve also used partial fresh ground whole wheat flour. And it works out great. Thanks for your fabulous recipes. My kiddos request that I make recipes from your site because they know it’s all good.

Tabs says:

Ok, so I made these tonight and they came out a littler differently. They really blew up to be much bigger than i expected (maybe the muffin tin I used!?) and they didn’t puff up in the center. They rose along the sides of each muffin tin and looked like mini bowls. I was thinking they’d be flatter and evenly distributed, like little discs for dipping. Thoughts??

That sounds very typical for German pancakes/Dutch babies/puffed pancakes. You can never tell EXACTLY how they’re going to turn out, but more often than not, they’re how you described them. :)

Karen says:

Thank you! I made these today and they were great. The quick berry sauce is something to remember for other recipes too.

Debbeelee says:

I loved these!! At the last minute I realized I was out of milk so, I substituted with 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream. I also tried your reduction on the flour, and used pan butter cooking spray instead of butter. They were perfect yummy bites! The strawberry sauce made a nice touch with the powdered sugar. I will definitely be making these again. Thank you!!

Amelia says:

Love love love this recipe! So easy and the pancakes came out perfect! I drizzled with maple syrup and melted butter. I will never make pancakes on the griddle again! These were better, and zero clean-up.

Leopard GIrl says:

Got up super early at 5:00 am to make these as a suprise Valentines day breakfast for my parents and they turned out great! I used a scant 3/4 cup flour and loved the texture. The one thing I’m curious about is that when I made them some of the smaller ones got kind of wrinkly in the middle while the larger ones looked perfect. Any idea what happened?
    Thanks for the recipe they were great!

HeatherW says:

I tried the recipe as is (delicious, thank you!), and then tried adding some lemon zest (about 1 teaspoon) to the batter (which added a fun layer of flavor). I also tried adding a little sugar to the batter (1 T.), and found we didn’t need as much sugar on top of the pancakes when the batter had a little more sweetness. This is my go-to pancake recipe now because it’s so fast and the clean-up is so easy. Thank you!

Cally says:

I am planning to make these on Valentine’s day this year. My question…is there a good way to make them ahead (even just earlier that morning) and have them still taste great? I’m just worried that the first batch out of the oven will be gone long before the 2nd batch is done. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately, nope. They need to be served fresh. Your best best is just investing in a 2nd pan so you can bake more at a time!

• Cally says:

I do have 2 pans, so hopefully I can just keep up with my 5 hungry kids. I’ve never made them before, so maybe they’ll be more filling than I’m expecting and they won’t eat as many as I think they will.

Sophie H says:

Hi! These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them on Pancake Day! I don’t have a mini-muffin pan (yet), so could you make these in a regular cupcake/muffin pan? Would you have to amend cooking times?

Teena Moore says:

I love the look of these. I’m in Australia so I don’t know which flour you mean. We have PLAIN FLOUR or SELF RAISING FLOUR. Could you please clarify? Also, 400 degrees , I take it you mean F not C ?
    My son will love these for breakfast.
    Cheers