Posted in Sara, Yeast Breads

Let me get one thing out of the way here.  I’m not one of those people that bakes homemade bread every week.  I’m not even one of those people that makes homemade bread every month.  And it’s not because I don’t like it; it’s because I like it too much.  I have a lot of friends who bake several loaves each week and use it for sandwiches, etc.  during the week.  And that just doesn’t work for me.  Because I don’t bake a fresh loaf of bread and just get it out when I need to make my my kid’s PB&J.  I bake a loaf of fresh bread and slice off chunks to slather with butter and stuff in my face until it’s gone.  Which is generally about 30 minutes after it comes out of the oven.  My family can devour a loaf of fresh bread in a heartbeat, so for us, it’s more of a luxury than a staple!  That being said, I love homemade bread.  And good multigrain bread has eluded me until now.  It’s just way too much effort to collect 6 or 7 different grains and then crack them, etc.  I’d rather just run to a good bakery and grab myself a loaf.  But I was watching an episode of Cook’s Country a while back and I watched them do the most brilliant thing- start a bread recipe with 7 grain hot cereal mix.  Duh!  it’s just fresh cracked grains; everything right in one little package.  I was scribbling down the recipe from the show when it dawned on me to check my Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook, and sure enough, there was the recipe.  My family loved this bread.  It’s so super soft and packed with good-for-you grains (so you don’t feel as bad when you dip it in Nutella or something).  It’s definitely going to be my new go-to wheat bread.

You can usually find boxes of seven-grain hot cereal mix near the hot cereals in the grocery store.  Just make sure you’re getting a hot cereal.  Bob’s Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills are two of the best to look for.  My normal grocery store was out when I went (figures!) so I ran over to my local WinCo where they have an amazing bulk section, and sure enough, they had both a 7 grain and a 10 grain.  The 10 looked like it had quite a bit of corn meal in it, so I stuck with 7 like the recipe called for.  Look at all of those great, wholesome grains in there:

such a great shortcut!  To soften the grains, you basically create a porridge mixture by soaking them in hot water.  The grains soak up all of that water and the mixture thickens, like this:

That’s the base of your bread dough, and to it you’ll add some yeast (rapid rise), melted butter, and honey.

Then goes in a mix of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. CI tested the bread with bread flour as well and found it made the bread too chewy, and all-purpose flour worked best.  So if you’re used to using bread flour in your homemade bread, stick with all-purpose for this one.

Also, I feel like woman-of-the-year because I ground my own wheat.  I know some of you do that all the time, but just let me have my moment, okay??  ;)  I’ve been loving my Wonder Mill wheat grinder.  You can also get a grain mill attachment for your KitchenAid.

When everything comes together it’s a very soft dough.  As you can see it kind of looks like cookie dough (but don’t be fooled; that would be sad.  Those aren’t toffee bits, my friends.)  At this point, cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.  I actually love recipes that require things like 20 minute resting periods.  It’s just enough time to put all of the dishes in the dishwasher and wipe of the counters, etc.

After 20 minutes, add the salt and then knead with the dough hook on your stand mixer for 5 more minutes.  The dough should clear the sides of the bowl, and you can add up to 3 tablespoons of additional flour, but I wanted to show you a picture.  I think one the big mistakes people make when bread making is mis-judging what the dough should look and feel like and consequently adding too much flour, which makes bread dry and dense.  I know because I did that a lot when I first started making bread!  I thought bread dough should have the consistency of say, a thawed Rhodes roll.  It wasn’t until I watched a friend of mine do it that I realized generally it should be much, much softer.  So notice in my photo that it’s clearing the top of the bowl, but it doesn’t mean it’s one solid blob that’s not sticking at all.  It’s still fairly sticky.  And keep in mind you will be putting it out on a floured surface so that will add additional flour as well.

After the dough is finished kneading for 5 minutes, scrape it out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead it a few times and then form a nice smooth ball.  Place that ball in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic and let it rise until double in size, about 45-60 minutes.

After it’s risen (don’t punch it down!)  Gently scrap it out onto a lightly floured surface (I always use my Roul’Pat), divide it in two, and form each into a 9×6 rectangle

Roll it up into a log (preferably an even one, not lop-sided one like mine!) and pinch the edges closed.  Spray it with cooking spray or just rub lightly oiled hands all over it and then roll it over some oats sprinkled onto the counter.   They stick right on; easy peasy.

Place your two loaves into 2 9×5 inch bread pans.  Cover them with plastic and let them rise about 30 minutes. Then pop them in the oven and watch your house suddenly smell like a bakery.

Here’s another great tip for bread making.  For a long time I didn’t know how to tell if my bread was done.  You can tap on the top to listen for a hollow sound, but that’s never been super accurate for me.  You can’t cut into it to check, nor does a toothpick test really work all that well, so I was constantly overcooking bread, or having it turn out dough-y inside.  Then I figured out, duh!  Use a thermometer!  Best way to make perfectly cooked bread.  Most average yeast breads like this are done at right around 200 degrees.

Let it cool in the pans for about 5 minutes and then take them out of the pans and cool on a rack.  If you’re going to just grab chunks and slather them in butter (uh..who does that?  Not me.) then you can rip into it when it’s till a little warm.  But if you’re going to use it for sandwiches (and it’s really good for sandwiches)  you’ll want to be sure to let it cool completely- at least 2 hours, more if you can handle it.  And thanks to a reader for reminding me about this tip:  If you plan on slicing bread like this for sandwiches it’s really helpful to have an electric knife.  The bread is so soft that it really helps.  Or if nothing else, make sure to use a really sharp bread knife.

The inside is the perfect texture; soft and springy, with the perfect amount of grains.

It’s not overly wheat-y or crunchy, it just tastes flavorful and wholesome and the grains are a nice tender texture.  My kids ate it right up.

If I was the kind of person who could make homemade bread every week, I would make this one.   But alas, I am not.  I’m the kind of person who can buy bread at Costco every week.  And make this on the weekends simply to eat with butter and jam.  Yep.  That’s me.

Pin It

**Make sure to come check out The Scoop tomorrow, we’re going to be giving away a copy of this Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook!

Oh yum, I’m definitely trying this!
    Great tip to look in the bulk section for multi grain cereal-and you know what I found there recently that made me so happy? Tapioca flour. Pao de queijo here we come :)

Laura says:

Just so you know, you guys are the coolest! You are hands down my favorite food blog. Thanks for being so amazing!

I have the same problem with my breads not being baked fully or being overcooked (especially with banana bread). Will that temperature work with other loaves too?

Hey Andy! Most yeast breads will be done between 190-200. I’ve heard that softer doughs with more fat can be on the low end (190) and drier crustier breads are on the higher end (200-210) so for every day loaves like this I shoot for 200 max or just a few degrees under. With quick breads, like banana bread, the best method is a skewer, or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the loaf. It should come out clean, or with just a few crumbs attached. Hope that helps!

marissa says:

oh yum I definitely need to try this

Patti says:

I was just talking to my daughter today (it’s still Sunday because I haven’t gone to bed yet, even though it is really Monday) that I need to start making homemade bread again, and not just soft white bread, but good-for-you wheat bread. I have an 8-grain cereal that I bought in bulk so I think that would work well here.
    What if I use SAF instant yeast instead of rapid-rise?

Beth says:

I am ‘one of those’ that makes all my own bread and am thrilled to try this new multigrain bread. One unbelievable trick that I have learned is ALWAYS use an electric knife to slice bread. If you’re a ‘just pull off a hot hunk’ and drown it in butter person the comment won’t matter to you, but if you’re a ‘let it cool slightly then slice and take to a friend’ person an electric knife is the ONLY way to go. Try it ~ and I’ll try the bread….WinCo here I come ~

Beth, thanks for that reminder, I meant to write that in the post! I agree that an electric knife is a must-have if you’re going to slice for sandwiches.

Jacquie says:

I must have missed the part about not punching it down after the first rise. I have made this recipe twice before seeing it posted here, and both times it looked and felt under-risen. D’oh!

That looks like something even I could do. (Says the girl who will probably end up with a flat loaf of bread.)

Awesome recipe! It would be so much better if I just made my own bread!

Susie says:

I also saw this episode of Cooks Country and had to try this recipe. It is so easy and delicious, I’ve made it regularly for several months and I keep a stock of the 7-Grain cereal and whole wheat flour in my freezer. I think I’ll even make a batch today! I don’t even make my “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day” anymore.

Bunny says:

I have been looking for a recipe like this forever! And your right the thought of having to buy grains separately was a big turn off for making a bread like this. Thanks for the big tip about the cereal! Will be making this!!

Heidi says:

I found this recipe a few months ago and do make it as the regular bread in our house. My kids love it. I did change the honey to be half honey half molasses to up the iron levels in the bread. It, of course, makes it darker in color, but my kids still love it!

Cynthia Stuckey says:

Making Vegetable Soup tonight and I thought I would venture away from my traditional multi-grain bread recipe and I literally said to myself, “Hmm… I bet OBB has a good recipe!” Lo and behold. You two NEVER disappoint!

Katie S says:

I’m curious – any idea why it says not to use bread flour?

This looks amazing, I definitely plan to try it!

Katie S says:

Nevermind, now I see the part where you said why bread flour doesn’t work. Sorry!

Jer says:

First time commenter, long time lurker…love your blog!

Thanks for this awesome bread recipe–I can’t wait to try it. Just had a quick question. Where do you divide the dough to make two loaves? In the recipe it says to repeat with second piece of dough, but it never says where to divide it. I’m assuming it’s after the second rise?

Jer says:

Ha–just re-read the recipe and I see where it says now…sorry for the needless comment! Can I blame Monday morning?? :)

Patti says:

Sara, at what point do you insert the thermometer? I would assume it’s near the end of the baking cycle, right? I’m off to make some bread this very moment.

Mimi says:

I am SO making this! Thanks for the recipe!

Tara says:

So excited to try this! I’ve been wanting to make a healthier homemade bread, but it’s so much work, I didn’t want to try any questionable recipes and end up with a rock! Thank you!!!

Michelle says:

Cool trick my mother in law taught me to slice warm bread easily….use an electric knife. Cuts right through without squishing it!

Excellent! So happy I found this recipe. Going to try it today {lucky me I have some 7 grain hot cereal!} Thanks for the tips. I must get my hands on a grain mill!

Cara says:

Looks like something I need to try…however just a caution to those wanting to get the wheat grinder attachment for their Kitchen Aid. Beware! The kitchenaid motor is not powerful enough to do much grinding. Not a great option unless you want to burn up the motor in your kitchenaid.

Also one more question. I have been using SAF yeast in my breads but I’m getting confused by all the different types. Is there a difference between the SAF yeast and the rapid rise yeast?

Alesia says:

I have the grinder for the Kitchen-aid and I use it all the time. It works great for me!

Joyce says:

The multi grain cereal I buy is rolled. Your picture looks like your cereal is more like steel cut. I guess I could whirl the rolled cereal in the processor for a few seconds. Please advise.

Oh I so wish I had some 7 grain cereal so I could make this! I was planning to make bread anyway today and this looks perfect. Maybe I will hit Bulk Barn in a little while and give it a go ….

This looks perfect! I love how soft the inside looks – yummy :D

Rachel says:

So glad you posted this. I can’t wait to try it.

Lauren says:

Thanks for this fun recipe! I am one of those crazies who bakes bread weekly, because it’s so much cheaper…I’m excited to try this new recipe. It looks scrumptious and healthy. Win-win!

Brittnee says:

This bread looks delicious. I’d love to try it, but I don’t have two loaf pans and I’ve never seen 7 grain cereal at my local grocery store :(.

Anita says:

Brittnee….I live in an area where it’s difficult to find certain ingredients…Amazon.com to the rescue….seems they have everything!

Anne says:

I skimmed through the comments but didn’t seen an answer to my question…I have a bread machine, could I make it in there? I would probably at least let the machine knead the dough and let it rise, then maybe take it out and separate it into two loaves. Just wondering if anyone else tried it in an actual machine!

I’m really not sure; I’ve never owned a bread machine!

Alison mento says:

Did you make it your bread machine? If so, how dd it turn out?

Dani H says:

I’m interested in the bed machine method as well. Did you try it Anne?

• Cheryl says:

I tried it in the bread maker and it works well! But you need to add more flour. Here is what I did. I cut the recipe in half and set the bread machine at “wheat bread” setting, 1 1/2 pound loaf. It was too wet and probably would have collapsed in baking – so I ended up adding 3/4 cup more of flour (half whole wheat and half white. This baked perfectly – moist and light. One more change – I used Red River Cereal, which is only 3 grain but it substitued well for the 7 grain (which I didn’t have!) It is a Canadian cereal – not sure it is available everywhere.

Peg Austin says:

Looks delicious, but I don’t have a stand mixer, and it looks like it’s way too soft to knead by hand. Any suggestions (besides going out and buying a stand mixer)?

I just updated the printable recipe with a note from CI about hand mixing. Although I do think it might be hard to knead it enough without adding too much flour. You can give it a shot though!

Jody says:

It looks soft, however you can totally knead it by hand. I made it this way and it was so dang good!! Just keep adding flour as it gets sticky, I bet I used around 2 cups. Easy Easy!

terri jo says:

OK this is uncanny. I just made whole wheat bread this morning. I checked out the wheat grinder from the cannery and ground my wheat and tried it for the first time today… and … then … I see your post LOL figures. Your recipe is next on my list.

One thing the lady from the cannery said to use is SAF yeast and to use 1T of gluten flour for every cup of WW flour.

This sounds so wonderful… and fairly simple as far as homemade bread goes. I have never made my own bread, but I am going to be brave and try this one!

I’m sure I too will be adding butter and eating slice after slice within 5 minutes!

Kimberley W says:

I make all of our bread and this is one of my favorites. I saw this episode of Cooks Country a year or so ago and had to try it. My family loves it. I use the 10 grain mix from WinCo.

Anne says:

I use a Shun serrated bread knife and it slices my bread razor thin if I want. I just wait about 10 minutes. Also, I never make white bread, so maybe that is where an electric knife is more helpful? If you are interested in grinding your own wheat, I highly recommend the Nutrimill. And about checking temp, my whole wheat (made with white wheat) bread is perfect at 190 degrees. I check it with a Thermapen instant thermometer, which I use for everything from custard and yogurt making to grilling. I usually wait until bread *should* be done, then I pull one loaf at a time out and turn them onto a cooling rack and check the temperature from the bottom middle of the loaf. That way I get the coolest part of the loaf and also hide the poke in case I am giving some away. 200 degrees seems over the top to me. At 212 degrees the inside of your bread stops cooking and you are just creating a thicker crust (King Arthur Flour says so, and I have found anything over 195 to be to hot, and gives me chewier crust. Good luck!

Anne, different types of bread cook to slightly different temperatures; this one is done perfectly at 200; mine wasn’t over-cooked at all!

stace says:

Can you post nutrition information?

Alisha says:

I think I’ll be making this today, wow, that looks yummy.

Hilary says:

I saw the video from these guys online & sat & wrote out the recipe – and now you have it all neat & tidy for me!! It’s really good with the sunflower seeds in it! LOVE OBB, you guys rock!

celia says:

I used to make bread regularly when I was at home all day because my kids were pre-schoolers; now they are in high school and I never make break anymore, but have been thinking I’d like to get back to it – this is a MUST try – I will make a note to add 7 grain cereal to my Winco shopping list. Last week I bought tapioca flour and made the Brazilian cheese balls – they were much appreciated by the whole family – as is everything I’ve done from your book or blog; can’t wait for the second book!!

Amanda says:

Perfect timing. I just bought myself my first KitchenAid stand mixer and I cannot wait to play with it. My mom had one and I loved that thing. Didn’t think about getting one for myself until last week!

Jesse says:

Um, how did you know I’ve been thinking to myself, “I really ought to try grinding some of that wheat with that electric wheat grinder my mom gave me for Christmas TWO YEARS AGO!! This bread truly looks amazing!

GAyla frider says:

Do you know the Calories for the bread and how may servings you get from a loaf

Amber says:

Thanks for this. When I was around twelve, my aunt gave my dad some hot cereal mix and a recipe to use it in for bread using a bread machine. I remember it being my favorite bread ever but have been unable to find the recipe at my parents house when I visit. And I don’t have a bread machine:). I’m excited to try this!

Heather U says:

This bread looks amazing! Another great tip for slicing homemade bread (if you don’t have an electric knife) is to lay it on it’s side. It slices more evenly and doesn’t squish the top of the loaf. Happy Baking!

Brenda says:

I love that you have a PIN button at the bottom of your post. Pinned this one and will be looking for the 7 grain cereal so I can try it!

auntiepatch says:

I just wanted you to know I sent my only copy of your cookbook to UCBerkley with my son & his girlfriend yesterday. I will have to head off to Amazon for another copy! (Didn’t want them to starve!)

joy grubbs says:

i’m a health nut and i have a recipe that i always use because it’s 100% whole wheat but i think this may just work. I might be trying this soon with all whole wheat. thanks

Brittany says:

Would this bread work in a bread machine?

Courtney says:

I know the feeling! I like it too much as well. I limit my baking to once a week so I don’t go tooo crazy. Bread truly has magical powers.

and now you just need to slather it with nutella and sliced bananas and strawberries and then press in the panini grill for a breakfast/dessert panini….mmmm yum!

I love multi grain bread and this recipe looks incredible. Great post, I am saving this recipe to try very soon!

RStephensArt says:

Wow, this looks fantastic. I can’t wait to try this out, thanks for the share.

Angie C. says:

I just ran to our little local grocery store, and the only 7 grain hot cereal I could find was Kashi instant. Will that work? I read the recipe again on my iphone in the store, trying to see if it specified a slow-cook or instant hot cereal, but couldn’t tell. I bought the Kashi stuff anyway, hoping it would work, but now I’m debating whether I want to put the time and ingredient money into experimenting with it! LOL

cara tadsen says:

I make breads all the time and I enjoyed your comments so much that I actually sat there smiling as I read your instructions. You made it fun! Thanks for the new recipe. C

I love the step by step with pictures–such beutiful pictures, too. I am the WORST bread maker–just doesn’t turn out well, so I rarely try. I should try this…

Kristen S says:

After seeing this recipe this morning, I immediately added 7 grain cereal and whole wheat flour to my shopping list for this afternoon. I have yet to make any REAL loaves of bread (I do rolls, breadsticks, pizza crust and quick breads), but I’m excited to try this out. Thanks for the great new recipe (and making it look doable)!!

leslie says:

I’m like you…NO WAY I could keep homemade bread in the house!

Melissa L. says:

Stopped at Whole Foods this afternoon… they had 5 grain, 6 Grain, 8 grain and 10 grain… but no 7 grain! I was the crazy lady laughing in the cereal aisle!

Monica says:

Man, I will be SUCH a good mom when I make this tomorrow. Thanks!

Patti says:

I made this bread today. It tasted really good, and my finicky homemade-bread eating husband said he loved it! However, before I even put it in the oven, it had already burst (I promise, I didn’t even let it raise as long as the recipe said). Do you think high-altitude bakers should reduce the yeast to 2T.? We devoured it anyway, regardless of what it looked like.

Patti says:

Oops, I meant 2 tsp, not 2 T. What do you think?

• I am also at high altitude (I live in ALberta Canada near the mountains) and my bread collapsed during baking. From the research I did, it seems like it was over risen and my oven was not hot enough. I did not let it warm for the full 30 minutes since It was too close tot he end of the rising time. Totally my bad. It tastes great and we polished a whole loaf last night and this morning but next time I will let it rise for less time and preheat my oven for a long time first!

Mary says:

I have got to make this. Wow, it looks delicious! And back in the good ole days of “Hot Mamas” you shared with me the important tip of dough texture. My rolls have only gotten better since then!

I have a similar recipe that I LOVE!!!! It is SUPER easy to make, and I’ve been wanting to add the oats on the outside (just for looks of course :) I will have to roll it in oats just like yours! Looks great :)

Julie says:

So Im just in the process of making this. Did u add all the flour mixture? I didmost of it and I think I put too much in! Or did u add until u got it how you wanted it? So excited for this one!!!

Shaura miller. says:

This bread has the very best texture! Our rural grocery store only had the five grain cereal, but it worked out GREAT!

Arial says:

Sara, I couldn’t believe your post today! My husband got me a wonder mill for xmas! I tried a couple of recipes, but only succeeded in making tasty bricks :) I’m going to try your recipe tonight. Do you have any tips/tricks for working with fresh milled wheat flour as opposed to commercial or do you use a certain website/book for good recipes and techniques using fresh milled? Thanks so much! I love your blog and just bought your wonderful book. :)

Beth says:

I got a GREAT tip about working with whole wheat from a man that used to manage K-Tec sales for the intermountain west. He said to always add 1000mg of vitamin C when using freshly ground wheat. It seems grinding the wheat gives off a certain enzyme and the vitamin C kills the enzyme without harming the texture of the bread. I’ve been adding 1000 mg of Vitamin C to every batch of whole wheat bread I make and it really does make a difference. Buy my Vitamin C at the $ store and just crush the cheap tablets between two spoons and add a little hot water to ensure they’re dissolved. Add the ‘vitamin C’ water right to the recipe when starting the recipe. It really does work….try it !

I’m right there with you on the “loving bread too much” bandwagon. My mom won’t let herself own a stand mixer or food processor because she doesn’t want to be tempted to make bread. We’re so bad. Really, so bad.

carmen says:

Thanks for the great recipe. If I grind my own flour should I use hard or soft wheat, or a combination of both?

Amber Monson says:

Wonderful. I love the shortcut. Cant wait to try this recipe. Looks delicious.

Karol says:

Looks so delicious!

jeralyn says:

This looks amazing. I have similar recipe that I do that use’s Bobs Red Mill 10 grain cereal…but this looks more moist. Can’t wait to try.

Christy says:

Yum! I’ve tried many of your recipes and people always want to know where I got the recipe from! Going to give this one a try too. You are best best “go to” food/idea website! Keep it up!!

Maria says:

I want a slice of this bread with jam please and thank you! :)

Margaret says:

I love your site!! Santa brought me a Kitchen Aid mixer and I do believe this will be the perfect recipe to try my hand at ‘real’ bread making! I don’t think we’ll have to worry about how to keep the leftovers fresh and I don’t think it will quite make the 2 hours cooling time either! Thanks for sharing and all of the wonderful tips!

Brittany says:

This looks amazing! I’ve never made multi-grain bread but now I am definately going to try! And I’m just like you, our bread is gone in minutes when I make it, or when grandma makes it, or when neighbors give us bread for Christmas! Last Christmas my son totally ate a whole loaf of bread as an after school snack! I’m so proud…..

Crysta says:

I made this bread today! I have tried many recipes, but this is fairly easy and the dough was so easy to work with…I used sunflower seeds in the dough!! Thanks for our new go to sandwich bread recipe! Also, can’t not wait to hear you guys at the Arlington Time Out for Women. :) I bought everyone in my family your cookbook for Christmas this year! Love the recipes, keep them coming!

Arial says:

I just tried this recipe tonight with home milled white winter wheat berries. It was moist, delicious, and felt so hearty. Thank you Sara! This is the first recipe I’ve been able to successfully make with my new mill!

Tara says:

Made it tonite. HUGE HIT. And I don’t make bread, so your pics were so helpful! I can’t stop eating it. With butter.

Becca says:

Re: making it by hand. I’m currently abroad and my Bosch didn’t make it with me, but we still love home made bread! I have been making my breads by hand for a couple of months now, and just finished this recipe. I put in only 3 cups of the flour, and then turned my soft dough out onto my remaining flour, let it rest, and just gradually incorporated the remaining flour into the dough as I kneaded. I just let it be a little sticky on my hands and counter and nothing bad happened :) A general rule of thumb is if kneading by hand, double the amount of minutes kneading, so get ready for an arm workout!

Amelia says:

This looks good. I am going to attempt to make this in my bread machine today. I didn’t find 7 grain cereal, so I got 10 grain hot cereal instead. I hope it turns out as good as yours looks and sounds! LOL

Carla says:

Amelia, how did the recipe turn out with the bread machine? What modifications and settings di you use? Thanks.

• Amelia says:

It was good. I used 1/4 teaspoon less yeast sine I live at high altitude. I will have to make it by hand just to see the difference (if there is one) to figure out any possible modifications.

garysgirl says:

Yummy!! I love making homemade bread! :))

Lo says:

Great post! Might just make this.

By the way,

Hanaa says:

Wow, that looks really good. Thanks for including a picture of the inside view too. That’s the best shot! Since I have all the different grains at home already, I’m wondering if I could create my own 7-cereal mix. Any idea what quantities to use them in to simulate the store bought cereal mix?

Joanne says:

This looks very much like a recipe I use. I make bread at Christmas and give it out to neighbors with jam from the previous season.

Alyssa O says:

I made this bread today and it turned out great! It was easy and my whole family loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Heidi says:

This bread is great! We had it with our dinner tonight and it was so good. My 6 year old said it was the best bread she ever tasted :-)

Nicole Maki says:

This bread is so delicious! I made it this afternoon and it disappeared.

I’ve baked a lot of bread but haven’t been happy with any of the multi-grain recipes I’ve tried. This one is a total winner. Hooray!!!

Thanks so much.

Debora Cadene says:

This looks great. I was wondering about the yeast. Do you have to use bread machine yeast? I do have quick rise in the packets….is that the same? If so, how many packets equal 2 1/2 tsp, or should I just go get the bread machine stuff?

thanks for the awsome recipies…
    Debbie.

Jody says:

I do not have a bread machine and I only had active dry yeast. I made this bread and it turned out awesome…too awesome can’t stop eating it. I just followed the steps on the back of the active yeast jar to prepare the yeast. Then after the 7 grains were ready I mixed together all of the wet and dry ingredients. I kneaded the bread for about 20 min, I had to add about 2-3 more cups of flour to keep it from sticking. The bread turned out great, I will be making this again and again!

Debora Cadene says:

Got another silly question for ya’s. So I went up town and on the back of the jar, it says one packet equals 2 1/4 tsp, so I just opened up a second packet and took a 1/4 tsp from that. I couldn’t find 7 grain so I used Red River hot cereal. I let it soak, but after adding the butter, yeast and honey…I sort of got lost. I wasn’t sure how much of the 41/2 cups of mixed flour to add, so only added it till it looked somewhat like your picture,which was only about half of it…… but then noticed it didn’t say to add any more flour. I added a bunch more,…. anyhow…still somewhat lost. I have it rising, but not sure what sort of brick I may have created.

How much of the flour do you add before letting it rest for 20 minutes.

hopeless at breadmaking..
    Debbie.

Bonnie says:

I had the same problem with mine. I added all the flour it said to but when I was all done it was SO tough so I didn’t continue on with the rest of the steps. I am trying it again adding a little bit more water to the cereal when it soaks and possibly not adding all of the flour either. I used cream of wheat 7 grain cereal. Maybe that wasn’t the right one to get and it soaked up more water than it should have?

• Tara says:

You want to make sure it looks like the pictures that she posts. I ended up using about 3/4 cup less flour than called for. I don’t make bread very well, so I was really glad for the pics, otherwise, I wouldn’t have known to stop adding the flour.

• Kim says:

I too had this problem. I think I let the cereal soak too long so it absorbed all of the liquid. After mixing in all of the flour, it was very dry and tough. I just added another half cup or so oh hot water so it became sticky like the picture. It turned out just fine.

• Jody says:

I too had to add water in the end?? I’m not sure what I did but after I mixed everything together it was just a pile of crumbs. However I added boiling water, maybe a cup, then panicked because I was sure I just killed the yeast. However it worked out and I was able to knead the bread (adding more flour) and it turned out awesome!!

If you make it again, I’d just try to find the right cereal, sounds like that’s where yours got off to a rocky start. Mine was incredibly wet and sticky with the full amount of flour so I’m not sure what is happening with the few people that didn’t need it all. My only guess is that the cereal you used was a different type?

• Laura says:

I am in the process of making this with the exact cereal called for Bob’s Red Mill 7 grain, and the exact same thing is happening. I still have at least a cup of flour mixture left that I haven’t added and my dough is tough and forms a ball, not sticky at all. Wish I knew what the problem was and how to fix it!

Carrie M. says:

Made this today w/ Bob’s Red Mill 7 grain. LOVE the texture! I make bread all the time and thought this was a tiny bit on the salty side. But I’d better try a few more slices just to make sure. (I’ll add more honey next time)

Bunny says:

This looks terrific, thank you! I am always looking for good side dishes!

Vanessa says:

I made a double batch of this today, yummy yummy. The one thing I did differently was, I only had active dry yeast that needed to be proofed, so I used 1 cup less of water in the grain mix at the beginning and used it to proof the yeast just before adding the honey and butter, and mixed those together, before adding the flours.

Debora Cadene says:

So the bread tastes great except for the grains that aren’t as soft as they should be. NOTE TO SELF…..don’t use Red River hot cereal for this recipe. I am still not sure how to add the flour to this bread though, and I really wanna make it again…the right way.

Jackie says:

This looks wonderful!!!

Trina says:

I made this bread last night, first time ever making bread. I only had the 10 grain, but it is wonderful!! Everyone in the family loves it and my 4 yr old keeps asking for more. Thanks for sharing, a keeper for sure. :)

Audra says:

AMAZING!!! DELICIOUS!!! Light as a feather! Worth all of the time you spend making it! THANK YOU Best Bites!!!

Cathy Hardekopf says:

I made this on Tuesday and it was amazing…very good! We ate one loaf that night with our minstrone soup and have been snacking on the second the last few days!
    I have always wanted to be a bread maker like my Mom…with this recipe I may just do it! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

Mary says:

Worked PERFECTLY! I always produce bricks and a few things I appreciated were:
    1. The picture on the grain/water consistency. I had to stir and heat up my mixture a few times to get it to the right based on your pictures–thanks for fabulous photography as always!
    2. Knowing that the grain/water mixture needed to be at 100 F when I added the yeast. I think it saved my bread!
    3. The pointer on not adding any more flour–I have never had success with recipes that say–add flour until soft dough–I have no clue what that translates too and my interpretation isn’t pretty.
    Thank you! Grazie! Gracias! Merci!

Tracy says:

Fyi I made this today using the dough cycle on the bread machine and it worked great. Just popped the two loaves in the oven once the dough was prepared. I did the first step (mixing the cereal w boiling water) separately though.

Corine N says:

I just made the bread with my 8 yr old daughter yesterday. We did it the old fashioned way by HAND! Came out beautifully – picture perfect and taste-bud worthy. One operator-error, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed – before I could say “let’s wait to add more flour”, my daughter dumped the rest of the flour in. Agree, it was too much flour, but it’s very easy to fix by adding more water back until you get the shaggy consistency.

Tara says:

I just polished off the last piece- it lasted a day and a half! I could only find Bob’s Red Mill 10 grain, and it worked great! Our whole family loved it!

Anna says:

Sara, I have the same “can’t bake bread or I will eat it all up!” syndrome! That’s why I haven’t gone there but this bread sounds wonderful. Can’t wait to try it. I pinned it and about 6 or 8 people repinned within 12 hours. It’s a big hit!

Laurie Simmons says:

This looks really good. I would like to make dinner rolls out of this rather than loaves. Not sure how to do that sucessfully – Can you advise? Also I’m supposed to limit my saturated fats – could I substitute canola oil for the butter without ruining it?

Kit says:

I made this over the weekend and it is wonderful! I had to go to 3 stores to find the cereal but it was worth it. Thanks Sara.

greg leonard says:

I wanted to use my bread machine for this recipe but didn’t realize until it was too late that this recipe was for two loaves. So I used the wheat bread setting and let the machine do the kneading work and first rise which brought the dough just to the top of the lid. I then took it out and prepared it as described above and popped two loaves into the oven. Next time I will just divide the recipe in half and see how it comes out baking in the machine. One change I made was i added muesli by red mill ( 3tbs) and I also used active dry yeast instead of quick rise yeast. I used 3 tsp of active dry yeast. I don’t know how it tastes yet though…they’re still on the cooling rack! They look great though.

Andrea says:

Hi! I have made this bread twice and each time I have at least 1 cup of the flour mixture left over and the bread is not sticky at all. I am using Bob’s Red Mill and by the time the cereal and water cools, it is a very thick porridge. Should I up the water? Or use the less amount of flour and only make one loaf. It tastes really good but I want to make a sandwich. Help!

greg leonard says:

I added a couple table spoons of water to the dough ball which seemed to help

Gary says:

I have made this bread 3 times now and each time, when I place the loaves in the oven they are nice and round on top, but when I take them out they are flat on top, or even concave. What is going on?

Becky says:

This bread looks SO good! I haven’t even tasted it but been craving it since I saw the picture. I CANNOT find 7 grain hot cereal. Have you tried it with 5? I bought that to give it a try. I’ll let ya know if it tastes as good as the picture looks :)

Amy says:

Thanks for a great bread recipe. I don’t have an electric knife but make my own bread A LOT. Are the knives created equal? Any particular one you think is especially good?

annette says:

Was so easy and am waiting to pull my loaves from the oven! The house smells wonderful, not sure I will be able to wait 2 hours to cool before cutting. Thank you.

Bethany says:

Do you think I would be ok doubling this? I’m used to making 5 loaves at a time, we eat one loaf while it’s still hot, the rest over the next couple days for sandwiches etc. So excited to try this one!

Andrea W says:

Yummy! I made this today with Bobs Red Mill 5 grain cereal. The photos made a big difference for me to see how soft the dough should be, and I erred on the side of too soft…. and it was perfect. When initially adding the flour I used about 3 1/2 cups of the 4 1/2 total amount and then just used what was left over to add a few TBLs in the the next few steps and to dust on the counter. By the time I was done there was maybe a tsp left over in bowl. I did preheat to 375 for the full time, but I set my timer for 30mins. baking time. I checked the temp and both loaves were right at 195* so I turned off the heat and opened the oven door. So glad that I didn’t over bake! I’m at 6200ft (very high altitude) but this recipe still worked like a dream! Thanks!!

Jan says:

All I have is bread flour on hand (not the all-purpose flour that is recommended) to use with my stone ground flour. Is there any fix for the lack of bread flour?

Megan Albrecht says:

I’m doubling it even as we speak. I’ve made it without doubling it twice now; amazing both times! Does anyone know how it freezes?

Stina says:

Sara!!! This recipe is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing it. Your pictures and detailed instructions were super helpful. I didn’t add enough flour the first time and still got the doughy bread…today, though…it came out perfect! The first time I’ve ever made bread that wasn’t doughy. A red-letter day in our home. lol. And, even better, everyone from my 10month old to my husband just loves it. Thanks again!

Deebi27 says:

I can smell the yumminess!

Jana says:

So delicious! I could not find 7 or 10 grain cereal at any store but I did find 5 grain cereal. It seemed to work just fine. My son ate 5 slices in one sitting (and he is a very light and picky eater). Can’t wait to make it again!

Shannon says:

I have been looking for a good use for my 9 grain cereal that no one but me will eat. I have tried just adding it to bread and then no one would eat the bread! I tried this and it was wonderful! I used 1 c. of white whole wheat and 1/2 c. of red whole wheat flour and I don’t think anyone realized it had whole wheat flour OR 9 grain cereal in it. It was light and fluffy and wonderful! Thank you for my new “go to” bread recipe!

Katie S says:

I am trying this today! I found 7 grain (in addition to 4, 5, and 9 grain – who would be so picky about the different kinds?!) hot cereal at our local Whole Foods.

Thank you for the pic of the what the wheat grinder can do. I have been trying to find a grinder that will do fine enough to bake my bread and that’s what I’m looking for. Love your site…just found you guys after a friend gave me your cookbook for Christmas. Absolutely loving the recipes!!

Angie C. says:

I made this last weekend, and it was a big hit with my whole family! I am slowly winning my husband over from gummy white bread. The kids already prefer whole grains!

I wanted to add a note: for those that prefer crustier bread, try spraying the loaf with a fine mist of water right before you put it in the oven. You can also mist the walls and floor of your oven with water to create steam, which will form a crispier crust. If you like softer crusts, spray it with nonstick oil before rolling in the oats. :)

Kiersten says:

I’m one of THOSE people who bakes bread all the time. It’s just so much cheaper and I have a good recipe that only takes an hour, start to finish. This recipe, however, had to be tried. I made it two days ago (and doubled the recipe) and it is some of the best bread I have ever eaten. And I have eaten way too much of it. It’s so good that I don’t even need to slather it with butter! I’ll definitely be making it again, but probably with more whole wheat flour next time.

Haley says:

I made this tonight and it was so delicious! I don’t have much experience baking bread and I really appreciate your pics and thorough descriptions- thank you! I too ground my own wheat flour, but if needing to grind wheat on a small scale a little coffee grinder does the trick (at 15$ it’s easy on the wallet and doesn’t take up hardly any space in my tiny kitchen!)

Dree says:

This bread is delicious! I used the 10-grain cereal mix, because I had it in the pantry. The dough did, though, nearly max out my stand mixer. My mixer is about 40 years old (I talked my mom into giving it to me, since she never used it any more :) ), the “classic” before there was a classic. And the bowl was FULL. But, success!

I am liking all of the grain in this bread and it looks amazing!

Heike Smith says:

I added 1 TBSP vital wheat gluten flour to my third batch of this bread. While the first two were super yummy, the third batch was a lot lighter in texture.

Anne says:

Made this tonight with my bread machine and it came out looking just like yours! I soaked the cereal mix in the hot water for an hour, then transferred it to my machine’s baking pan. I added all the other ingredients and then started the dough cycle. Once it was done I did everything else like the recipe said, including letting the loaves rise for 30 minutes before baking off. I also brushed a little melted butter on the crusts when they were done to keep them from getting too crusty. The oats didn’t stick to my loaves so next time I think I’ll skip that step. And how does the bread taste? I’m sitting here at 11 p.m. eating bread and butter. It’s THAT good. Just wanted to let you know this recipe works great with a machine! thanks for sharing it. :o)

Andrea says:

I made this yesterday and I have to say it is amazing! It was so easy to make and came out perfect! I will definately be making this on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel Smith says:

I love this bread! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ang says:

How much is a “bit” for decreasing the salt? Leaving out 1/4 tsp? 1/8? Thank you!

Louise McPherson says:

Rush ladies to Winco and fill out the sheet at the customer service and lets get the 7 gain cereal back in the bulk section!! They are no longer carrying it and we cannot let this happen. Request to get it back!!!! I love the mult-grain bread and have traveled 70 miles north to get the 7 grain cereal at the Orem Winco’s.

Shelley Ruiz says:

You can get it at the health food store in the bulk section as well. Good Earth. They just had a sale on the six grain rolled cereal in 50 lb. Bags, which works great for this recipe as well.

Lori says:

Just wanted to tell you that I made this bread yesterday with the Bob’s 7 grain and it was AWESOME!!Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

I just found this recipe last week. I loved the idea of a shortcut and in the photos the bread looked soft and light. I Made it this weekend ( I could only find 5 grain at my local grocery-) It was awesome–and rather easy!–I made it in between my cookie making sessions..

Trisha Rodriguez says:

This bread is my nemesis! The first time I made it, it turned out beautifully. I have since made it 2 more times and both times it has fallen. I (very carefully) put it in the oven and it seems to fall once it starts cooking. Any ideas?

Lauren Hitchcock says:

Gah! I want to make this so bad, but I cannot for the life of me find any 7-grain hot cereal. So disappointing. :( Do you know of any possible alternatives that might be worth trying?

You can use a different number of grain (5,10,etc.). Check a health food store, or if all else fails- online!

• Lauren Hitchcock says:

Thanks for the tip! I managed to find a 5 grain version (though it appears to be mostly oatmeal) and will post here again to let you know how it turns out!

Carol says:

How much hot cereal.? 6 1/4 ounces is not 1 1/4 cups

It’s probably your specific mix. When in doubt- for this recipe I’d go with the cup measurement and not the weight.

Emily W. says:

I buy the SAF yeast at Costco and put it in an air-tight bag/container in the freezer and pull it out anytime I make bread. It lasts a good year with me making bread once a month and breadsticks/rolls every other week. I think it is less expensive for me this way. But in this recipe you have to make up a place to soak/proof the SAF yeast and you have to use about 25% more…so nearly 1 T. I actually proofed it on its own in an extra 1/2 cup of warm water for 10 minutes and added it in when it called for the other yeast. It will probably work since it sounds like there isn’t a lot of moisture to work with after soaking the 7-grain.

Kelly says:

Love this bread recipe. Every other time I tried to make any type of whole wheat bread it turned out too dense. This one is light and so tasty! Thanks a million for this recipe!

Kelly says:

Oh, and btw… I am at high atlitude, and you’re spot-on. I don’t have to use the whole flour mixture.

Wendy says:

I’m having problems with the second rise (and i’m definitely a novice breadmaker). The first rise doubles no problem but the second rise is not as fantastic and does not reach even the top of the bread pan after waiting an hour.

I’ve tried letting it rise in a warm oven (sub 100 degrees), but it’s still the same results. Any suggestions or do i need to tame down my visions of nice tall-sized sandwich bread, and settle with what i’m getting?

It’s really hard for me to trouble-shoot without knowing all the details and seeing it myself Wendy. You might try a new package of yeast? And definitely don’t punch it down after the first rise, keep as much of that nice airy dough as you can. It certainly should be nice and fluffy so I’m not sure what to tell ya.

Hannah says:

So, my husband and I are some of those people who make all of our own bread. And this is our new go-to recipe. We’ve made over a dozen times and it has turned out so soft and delicious every single time. We’ve tried other multigrain recipes before and this is far better. So, thank you for sharing. You’ve helped us put good, wholesome bread on our table.

Marcy says:

I made these last night as rolls (just baked them for about 20 min). They turned out SOOOO good! My kids, hubby and our friends LOVED them! Delicious with some honey butter too! (I live in north Texas and I used most of the flour but not quite all of it.)
    Thanks so much Sara and Kate!!! You are the BEST! I can’t wait to meet you both in Arlington next month!!!

sharleen says:

delicious! we ate both loaves in one day! thanks bunches!

Peter says:

I’m just about to try your recipe for the first time – look great. However, I’m not sure about the measurements. I prefer to cook by weights rather than volumes (I grew up in the UK). King Arthur Flour say that All Purpose flour is 4.25 ounces per cup and Whole Wheat is 4 (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes2008/master-weight-chart.html). That gives 12.75 ounces and 6 ounces respectively, which is quite a difference from the 15 ounces and 8.25 ounces that the recipe gives. I’m planning to start with the low end KAF measurements. Any suggestions?

This recipe, and all of its measurements, come straight from the Cook’s Illustrated test kitchens. I can’t make any comparisons to King Arthur, sorry!

• Peter says:

Thanks for the reply. Do you use the weights or volumes that you list? My dough was a bit too sticky so I think I need more flour.

Stephanie says:

Ok… I just have to say… This is my favorite bread recipe of all time. I made a couple very slight tweaks and we literally do not buy bread from the store anymore, I just make a recipe and a half of this (which beautifully puffs up over two 9×5 bread pans) every few days as needed, freezing the 2nd loaf until we’re ready for it. I decided to try swapping out the 7-grain cereal for steel cut oats, and it makes an OUTSTANDING oatmeal bread. Was even able to get a bunch of the steel cut oats on sale for half the price, so we are only paying about $0.75-$1.00 per loaf with all ingredients! Seriously, brilliant. And sooo tasty.

Donna says:

This bread is DELICIOUS! I’ve been making all our bread for the past year, and this recipe is at the top of my favorites list. A friend recommended adding Vital Wheat Gluten to my recipes. I add 5 teaspoons to this recipe, typically 1 teaspoon per cup of flour. I also like using Hodgson Mill yeast in my bread. I originally started using it because I wanted yeast manufactured in the U.S. and now I use nothing else. I want to try Stephanie’s suggestion of steel-cut oats for the next batch. This recipe is absolutely a keeper!! Thank you, Sara!

Carol says:

Made this dough today in my bread maker and baked it in the oven. It is amazing and easy.
    I only baked one loaf and put the other in the fridge to bake in a few days as there is only two of us. Hope that works out.

Mandy says:

This recipe looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try it out! I’m a newbie in the bread world and was wondering why white and wheat flour is used? Could I just use wheat flour?

Mandy, using 100% whole wheat flour in this recipe (and most breads) will result in a dry, tough texture. The best combo is a mix of the two!

Corene says:

Has anyone ever waited 2 hours before slicing? Just wondering. :)

Maridonna says:

I am so new again at bread making and want to make this bread so badly! I have a “new to me” grain mill. I’d like to use my milled flour…do I use only that flour or do I need to use all purpose AND my milled flour as the whole wheat?

You still need to use part all-purpose and then the whole wheat can either be store bought, or milled with your new grain mill. But no, don’t use ALL whole wheat flour from your mill.

Noelle says:

I just made this bread today using 12 grain cereal and it was the best multi grain bread I have ever had. My husband who is my biggest critic loved it. I am going to make this again soon. We ate a half of loaf already. Thank you so much for the recipe. Love your sight.

Andrea W says:

I’ve made this bread several times and it is always fantastic. So, today I did a little experimentation. After the first rise and patting out to the rectangle on the counter I went ahead and smeared it with butter and then sprinkled brown sugar and cinnamon. Rolled it up and put it in the bread pan…. like a giant cinnamon roll loaf. Same rising and bake time. It is AMAZING!

Janice says:

Can you give measurements for making a 1 1/2 lb or 2 lb loaf in a bread machine? Also can you recommend a specific 7-grain hot cereal. Found a multigrain one but it was only oats — disappointing

Sharon Hynes says:

I couldn’t find a 7 grain, but found a 12 grain that worked beautifully. Mine is Speerville Flour Mill, but they also recommended Bob’s Red Mill.

• Sharon Hynes says:

Oh…I should also have said, that I found the 12 grain cereal mix in the Health Food section of my local grocery.

Sharon Hynes says:

I made it yesterday and it is delicious! Is the nutritional information available?

Megan says:

Myfitnesspal.com has a nutrition calculator that you can plug any recipe into and how many it serves.

Camilla Congrove says:

Thanks for this wonderful recipe!!!! I had never made bread before and this one was so easy and tasty! Just what I was looking for.
    I live in high altitude Utah and definitely do NOT use all the flour. I mix up 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 2 cups of all-purpose (and add 3 tbsp vital wheat gluten to make it less dense), and that is perfect. I don’t put it all in the dough but have some left over for the counter kneading. I have found that this makes the perfect bread for me with the right consistency and density.

Laura Moody says:

This recipe is incredible!!! I’ve never made bread before, and I don’t have any mixers or anything, so I had to make it all by hand… although it took a long long time to make, it was definitely worth it!!! Before I tried it, I told a friend I would never make it again because it took so long… but oh my goodness, the hard work REALLY paid off!!! I would even say this is the best bread I’ve ever eaten!
    Thank you so much!! 10/10 :)

Ronnie Erickson says:

I have been looking for this kind of bread for a long time. Now since I found it, I cannot wait to make it. The temperature here is around 107 degrees, so I will make half the recipe in my bread machine and bake it outside. I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

Jim Carroll says:

I’m experimenting with bread recipes. This is similar to another recipe I’ve been trying (that uses the 7-grain cereal). Some changes that have won my children’s approval:

1. Instead of using just 7-grain cereal, I use the cereal and old-fashioned oats. Your recipe calls for 1 1/2C cereal; I use a 1/4 Cup measure and use two measures of oats and three measures of cereal.

2. I use the bacon drippings from breakfast instead of butter.

3. Instead of honey, I either use molasses or half-molasses half-honey (which the kids seem to prefer).

And @Megan, “how many it serves” depends on if you’re cutting sandwich-sized slices or if your kids are hacking off a two-inch thick hunk to gnaw on while they’re on the computer.

Bet says:

Wow, this is AMAZING bread. I’m so excited! My husband is out for the evening and I’m a little shocked at how much I’ve consumed by myself. I can’t wait for him to try it too! :o)
    I added what I felt like was kind of a lot of extra flour (since I’m dumb and was just looking at the recipe and not your helpful pictures) but it still turned out great! Phew!

steve says:

I had seen this recipe on Cook’s Country a while ago, and made it for the first time yesterday. It is the most amazingly moist delicious bread I have ever made! It makes luscious toast, too, with a bit of butter and jam. Next time, I’m going to make it into dinner rolls instead of loaves….and that may be tomorrow!

Anna K. says:

Just wanted to make a note of my experience with this recipe. It is excellent and I will make again for sure (especially since I just gave away 1.5 of the 2 loaves!).

-I used a portion (~1 C of bread flour b/c I ran out of AP. Worked great.
    -I’ve never done so before, but I’m glad I checked the internal temp of the bread before taking it out of the oven. I would have taken it out 5 minutes too soon.
    -I used one 9x4x4 pullman pan and one regular 9×5 pan. Both turned out great bread, but the pullman pan resulted in a loaf that is PERFECT for sandwiches and toast.

Thanks for passing along a great recipe!

thedentons says:

This bread is SO good. I’ve made it 5 or 6 times now…I didn’t think I was a make-your-own-bread kind of person, but I get really sad when I run out of this!! I have to go to Whole Foods for the 7-grain hot cereal mix (Bob’s Red Mill), but it’s totally worth it. I use white whole wheat for the whole wheat portion of the flour and pretty much follow the recipe exactly. YUM, thanks for posting this recipe and I agree with others, your pics are very helpful! :o)

LEANNE says:

Hi just want to know with the multigrain bread receipe, when testing with the thermometer when it is cooked, are you talking 200 degrees c or 200 degrees f. Thanks

Caitlin says:

Soooo yummy. Just gotta say though that this recipe is RIDICULOUS as far as salt content. We’re talking 300-400 mg per slice… any ideas on cutting salt?

Laura Lane says:

Hi, I found your link on Pinterest. This looks seriously good! I do bake bread and found several tips that will help me. I never even thought of a thermometer! Now I have to buy one.

I’ve pinned it again from your original source. I am going to try this.

Blessings to you,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Megan says:

So I’m just looking for a healthy bread recipe…and I come across this one. You guys are so cute and it is SO apparent just from this one recipe that you are LDS. I love it.
    Anyways, I told myself I’d read my scriptures right away when I got in bed(on the iPad), and here I am looking up new recipes. Oops!
    Can’t wait to try this delicious sounding/looking bread.

Heather P. says:

Your directions don’t mention whether you are using a paddle or a dough hook. I usually switch to a dough hook after my flour is hydrated. Does it work better with a paddle for the whole process or does it really matter? Thanks!

Anne says:

Soooooo, I made it using all whole wheat bread flour…… not so much. I have 2 major bricks on my hands. I’ll just call them pumpernickel and be done with it. Oh well I do prefer whole grain, but this doesn’t convert.

Sabrina says:

I’ve been baking bread for a long time and I’ve always found multi-grain breads made with cereals to be heavy. I used a 10 grain cereal and this recipe and ended up with the most beautifully textured, light, springy bread! Thanks so much for the recipe! As a side note to people who have heavy-bread problems… I learned long ago to sift my flour then spoon it gently into the measuring cups. Since that time I’ve not had a single heavy loaf (from over-flouring). I also find, when using this method, recipes will take up to 1 cup more of whole wheat flour. Always a good thing!

anita says:

Forgive me if someone else mentioned this, but I just threw the butter into the cereal/boiling water mixture…saved dirtying another little dish! Great post!

Barbara says:

Made this yesterday, and although I’m still a novice when it comes to year breads, this turned out pretty well! Had some as toast for breakfast :)

Jacque Wilson says:

I found this recipe and have made it and shared it with my boss. It is so easy and just delicious. It is great toasted with my favorite butter and cinnamon sugar or just honey. Yum yum. Will be making it always. My new most favorite bread.

Jane says:

I just am wondering. What are you using under the dough when rolling it with the oats. It appears to be a clever mess protector and has me intrigued.

Cynthia C. says:

This is a triple threat! Fluffy. Nutty. And good for you,too lol! OMG this was so spectacularly delicious. What a great texture. Thank you for publishing this recipe. It will be among my “to-go” bread recipes.

Amy says:

Thank you! This bread was so yummy!
    And thanks to your detailed instructions and the weight measurements I have now realized that I have been adding way too much flour to my bread!!

Gautami says:

Hello,
    I love ur blog.
    My question is, where do you buy wheat from and what type of wheat is deal for bread making.

Thanks

If you are talking about grinding your own wheat, I usually buy mine at Costco. Otherwise you can find great flour, and whole wheat flour in the baking aisle of the grocery store.

Lauren says:

I just made this recipe and pulled two perfect, golden loaves out of the oven. Delicious! It has the most amazing aroma whilst baking and tastes amazing fresh out of the oven. My loaves haven’t cooled yet and we are nearly finished one of them…

Several substitutions I made: My grocery store didn’t have 7-grain hot cereal, so I bought regular old Red River hot cereal and used one cup of that plus a quarter cup of mixed whole and ground flax seeds. I found the bread required about 3/4 C LESS flour than the recipe called for, but perhaps that’s because I was hand mixing it.

Lauren says:

Also – I used regular Traditional Yeast. It worked just fine, everything rose quickly and wonderfully.

snelgshy says:

would this work if you used Hodgson Mill’s Apple Muesli?

Lisa says:

Is there any way to make this in a bread machine?

I’d read through the comments, I’m pretty sure others have tried it that way, I’ve only made it as written.

Pinkpink114 says:

This turned out quite well considering I didn’t use any salt. I didn’t think it would be a problem but I read on some other blogs that salt keeps yeast in check and helps to prevent the dough from rising too quickly and then deflating when baking. I baked it as one loaf and some rolls. The rolls look perfect the loaf did sink a bit. Next time I will use a bit of salt and decrease the yeast to counter act the lower salt.

CookieRaider says:

Is this bread a really good pull apart bread that just melts in your mouth? When I went overseas, I had a really good bread that sounds and looks just like this one and I was wondering whether or not the taste was the same. Thanks!

Debra says:

I was so excited to make this recipe. However, I didn’t have any 7 grain hot cereal. So I head out to Whole Foods and find out that they only have 5 grain hot cereal. Will the recipe still turn out good?

Evelyn Russell says:

Do you have a good yeast bread just using regular flour? I normally buy Roman meal and perhaps this bread is close but I would like to see a recipe for just regular bread! Not whole wheat – family is not into whole wheat but will tolerate multigrain but the seeds might scare them away!! Sorry- we have to go one step at a time towards wholesomeness…..

Tara v says:

This looks really good! Do you think I could use stone ground whole wheat flour instead of AP?

Hyo says:

Oh my goodness…I’ve been trying to find a yummy multi grain bread recipe and you delivered!! My 8 year old daughter and I made your butter and now we’re craving bread to go with it. Thank you so much for your inspiring recipes. Life is much easier with you two doing the legwork of coming up with delicious recipes. Don’t ever stop!!

Valerie says:

I can hardly wait to try this recipe, thanks so much! I totally relate to your reasoning behind only baking bread once and awhile, as I too love homemade bread the same way you do. I also love the way you write, you are very funny, I lol’d quite a few times!

Kim says:

Can this work for a bread machine?

Is there a reason why this couldn’t be made with all whole wheat flour instead of using half all purpose? I’ve never baked my own bread before and wanted to try this recipe. Your pictures look so good! I just really don’t like to use all purpose flour in anything and try to stick to whole wheat if I can.

Using some all purpose flour keeps it soft and light. Whole wheat can add density and heaviness to a bread, but you can certainly experiment if you’d like to. Some recipes work that way and others don’t!

Brianna says:

Have you ever tried this with brown rice syrup? I want to make this, but don’t have any honey!

HelenofTrout says:

I don’t think it would make a difference cause the portion of sweetener is very small. You don’t really taste the sweetness in the bread. But it is yummy bread!

Jimbo says:

can you substitute whole wheat white flour for the all purpose flour?

Thanks
    Jim

HelenofTrout says:

Made this last night….note to self: don’t start bread at 6pm…turned out very yummy indeed!! Not a fan of multigrain bread to begin with, but the pictures made it look so good that I tried it. Glad I did!

HelenofTrout says:

Oh and I used bread flour cause that’s the only flower I had, light and yummy bread! I also thought of using brown rice syrup instead of honey, I don’t think it would make a difference cause the portion of sweetener is very small. You don’t really taste the sweetness in the bread.

Suraiya says:

Hi!… This is a super recipe… I have never made bread before and I love eating multigrain bread. So just had to try this. Turned out quite good. I don’t have a mixer so did the kneading with my hand… and I am happy with the results… My only observation, that I couldn’t make sense of, was the measurements of the cup to the oz measurements.. They don’t tally….. So I decided to stick to the cup measurement. Thank you for sharing such a great recipe!

andrea says:

i saw this recipe for multigrain bread this week and wanted to make some so today i made this recipe and and it came out good and delicious wonderful recipe the only changes i made to this recipe i used two cups of all purpose flour and one 9 grain flour and this recipe came out excellent and that was the only change i made to the recipe i would make this delicious bread again thanks for this recipe

Ann Lawrence says:

I just made this bread, I am waiting for it to rise. I don’t think I would even attempt to make it with out my kitchen aid. Some people, when asked what they would grab first in case of a fire often answer, pictures,memorabilia and the like. Me? My kitchen aid, who I’ve named Betty White as she is a hard working woman.

Jess says:

AHHH! I have finally found a bread recipe that I can not only handle but it DELICIOUS. Thank you for sharing! :)

Eric says:

Here’s another option: you can make this with leftover (precooked) multigrain cereal. We make a large batch of multigrain cereal each week for breakfast. I had some leftover and decided to try using it to make this bread. It worked out perfectly! I used 2 cups precooked multigrain cereal and 1 cup boiling water in place of the first to ingredients. I only just waited until the mixture was cooled down enough to not kill the yeast and then made the bread as directed. It worked out great! Makes less crunchy bread, as the grains are more fully cooked, but still retains all the health benefits and flavor!

Laura says:

Loved the idea of this recipe, combed rural Arkansas for a 7 grain cereal….ended up with a, Ezekiel 4:9 (yep, this is a red state) as my only choice. Got to the yeast part, and realized my yeast is “Active Dry,” not rapid rise as in the recipe, or bread machine as in the photo. I researched and found that the temperature of 100 degrees is actually right for active dry…..my bread is. DELICIOUS ! It rose perfectly, all that. So, would it be better if I used Rapid Rise? Thanks for the wonderful instructions…I realize that I, too, usually add too much flour!

Michelle says:

I live in the sticks, so I have to order my 7-grain cereal from Amazon. And I get sunflower seeds from there, as well. A word of caution for those using a Kitchen Aid mixer: I had the 600 Professional Series mixer, and this recipe really bogs it down. One time I even had to stop the kneading because the motor was starting to smoke. (I understand there is one KA mixer a size bigger, didn’t know that at the time of purchase.) Anyway, after 2 years of begging for a Bosch mixer, my hubbie finally came through! I have all the ingredients for this and plan to double it today! It is truly divine bread. One question, I have been told that unless you use 100% whole wheat, you aren’t really making a healthy bread. I am hoping someone knows if that is true or not. My thoughts are that the 7-grain cereal more than compensates for the all-purpose flour used in this recipe. Btw, I LOVE Cook’s Country!

Linda Henderson says:

I hope someone can help me. I’ve tried to make this recipe 4 times and the bread never rises in the pan after it is shaped and it comes out of the oven like a brick. Any suggestions?

Vanessa says:

This recipe looks amazing, I’m definitely going to try it out — Thank you!!