Happy New Year!! I hope everybody had a fun, happy, safe holiday. If this is your first January with us (or in case you forgot), we like to spend the entire month of January showing you that we don’t just know how to make naughty diet disasters–we actually try to cook and eat healthy most of the time.

Confession time: I kind of gain a lot of weight when I’m pregnant.  One of my goals this pregnancy/New Year’s resolutions/whatever you want to call it is to not gain fifty million pounds this time around because, well, I never really lost the last fifty million I gained the last time around.

One of the hardest things for me when I’m pregnant is that not only am I completely flat-on-my-back nauseous for a good 3-4 months, but I’m also ravenously hungry, which just seems like such a cruel paradox. What got me in trouble the other two pregnancies was that I used my ravenous hunger as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted or that it was my body’s way of telling me I needed, say, 4 Wendy’s Jr. Cheeseburgers Deluxe (is that the correct plural? I feel a little like Yoda saying that…) in a single day. My strategy this time, especially now that my “morning sickness” (whoever came up with that term is hilarious) is starting to wind down, is to not let myself get hungry, but to keep myself constantly surrounded by healthy snacks that won’t make me crash and burn. And ice cream.

Hummus is one of my favorite snacks, even if my husband threatens to leave me every time I make it because he thinks the garlic usage is excessive (I didn’t know there was such a thing as excessive garlic usage). We have an awesome basic hummus recipe in our book, but I like mixing things up every now and then with this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. It has all the classic hummus elements like chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, and lemon, but it also has the sweetness of the roasted red peppers (which also helps offset the bitterness of the tahini, which can sometimes be a little overwhelming) and the brightness of a little chopped cilantro, which scared me at first. But you guys should know us better than to be too scared of cilantro; that’s just silly.

Speaking of tahini…it’s kind of a must in hummus. I find it in the Mediterranean section of the grocery store, but you can also often find it with the kosher foods (or both places, and sometimes there’s a good $1-2 difference in the price). And speaking of price, it’s expensive. Not as expensive as buying store-bought hummus all the time (which isn’t nearly as good, at least in my opinion), especially since a jar of tahini should last you a little while (unless you’re some kind of hummus junkie). That said…if you don’t want to buy tahini, don’t have room for it in your grocery budget, or are just plain not super crazy about the flavor (it’s kind of like slightly bitter nut butter), here’s a little secret: try getting an all natural peanut butter. Like the kind that you have to stir up when you use it and doesn’t have any added sugar or anything. It’s not exactly the same, but it’s surprisingly close and a good substitute in a pinch.

Anyway.

Toss all your ingredients (except the oil and cilantro) in the work bowl of your food processor or the jar of your heavy-duty blender… and blend until smooth. With the machine running, add the oil in a steady stream and process until the desired consistency is reached. Add in the cilantro and pulse it a few times until the cilantro is evenly distributed. If you can, let it stand for an hour, and then serve it with fresh veggies (I like it with carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, and grape tomatoes) or whole-grain pita chips. You can also spread it on a bagel or roll it up in a whole-wheat tortilla with some turkey and your favorite veggies. You could also substitute it for regular hummus in this 7-Layer Greek Dip.

This makes about 2 cups of hummus.

Patti says:

Well I guess I’m just silly then, because I am THAT scared of cilantro, but you already knew that about me.
    I’m glad you are starting to feel just a little bit better.

leslie says:

Ohhhh, I didn’t know you were pregnant??? Congrats!!!

Kodie says:

I didn’t know there was a Mediterranean section of the grocery store. If I was shopping at say WinCo, or (gag) if I had to Walmart, where would I find tahini? What other stuff is it by?

We don’t have a Winco, but a great start is the foreign foods aisle. At our Kroger, the Mediterranean/Greek section is close to the Italian section and I usually find the tahini near the Greek olives and peppers and flavored rice and couscous mixes (there’s also a kosher section in the same aisle and they sell it there as well). At our Albertson’s, I’ve found tahini with the kosher foods, which is by NOTHING else in the entire store.

I’m almost positive the Walmart here doesn’t sell it, but we have an embarrassingly small ethnic food section. :)

You can also see if you have a Greek/Middle Eastern market in your town and I bet they sell it there.

• Jenn says:

Kroger, Farm Fresh and Harris Teeter carry Tahini but Walmart here (SE part of VA) does NOT.

• Clarissa says:

At winco it’s by the peanut butter. I used to work there. You would be surprised how many people asked me where tahini is. Usually next they asked me what tahini is.

Kim says:

Our Winco here in Washington has it in the peanut butter area next to the almond butter, etc. The brand I use for my hummus is Marantha. (Personally, I don’t care for peanut butter as a substitute for tahini–ever. It is worth it to go to the trouble of finding tahini.)

Laura says:

I have the same issues with pregnancy! I usually gain around 60 lbs. But with my last pregnancy I did just what you are doing and I only gained 30! I love hummus and this looks really good! Good luck :)

Jean says:

My boss has changed his eating habits to vegan and is health has improved dramatically. When we have office celebrations, I like to try different vegan recipes for him. He likes hummus; but he cannot eat garlic. Is there any substitution you would use to add flavor in place of garlic or just leave it out altogether. Finding a hummus recipe without garlic is nearly impossible.

Tami says:

How long is Tahini in the refrigerator good? I have half a jar that’s been in there for a couple of years? Would it be rancid by now?

Racquel says:

Yay! After a month of overdosing on sugar I am so ready for healthy food. I love this post!!

This sounds delicious. I cannot wait to try it!

Deborah says:

I gain a ton of weight when I am pregnant, too. But I don’t usually get sick at all, so I have no excuses!! This looks wonderfu – I made a similar version years ago, but feel like I need to revisit it now!

Heatheranne says:

In a pinch ( like when you live 90 miles from any store that sells tahini) add a touch of sesame oil instead. I start with 1 tsp, because it has a strong flavor.

Melody Pizzi says:

Ha! My husband is the same way about the garlic in hummus. He throws a fit every time I make/eat it. But that stuff is worth it I tell you! Thanks for the variation. And, I totally get the “morning sickness”, thus why I only had 2 children. Hang in there!

Jenn says:

wish I had seen this the other day (like, you know….. 2 days ago when I made the traditional hummus from your cookbook, which is scrumptious!).

I now need to make this one too cause it looks delicious!

I’m not a big red pepper fan, but can’t wait to try your normal hummus recipe. My husband and I both love it, as well as large amounts of garlic, so I think we’re safe ;)

Kelly says:

I LOVE roasted red pepper hummus! I’m excited to make this! Thanks!

Kristi says:

This recipe looks delicious, I just printed it out and am so excited to make it. If I could leave one suggestions. I love that you have the “print this” function on recipes but if I could recommend I would love to have a small picture of the product on the recipe. In my recipe book I love to print the recipe with a photo of what it is so when I am deciding what to make for the week I can look at all the delicious photos.

Monique says:

I am 36 weeks and the only thing I crave is hummus. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Kristine says:

OK, I just made this. Forget chilling it for an hour, it is going to be gone before then! Thanks for another delicious recipe!!

Tracy Lawson says:

We really love hummus at our house. There are times where i can’t keep it in the fridge and I really love the flavor of the roasted red peppers…..what what it would be like served warm on pita bread? Thanks for the recipe, this is on the grocery list for the next trip to the store! Glad you’re feeling better too -

amy says:

You can also use the hummus in chicken salad–substitute it instead of mayo next time, it’s pretty good :)

meredith says:

Yippee!! I’m so excited for your January posts! The foods you have posted past January’s have become staples in our kitchen. Thanks for doing this :-)

Hummus is a favorite snack in our house! We eat it on everything. I used to only buy it on occasion then several years ago I got a food processor and started making my own! It is WAY cheaper and better tasting than the store bought stuff. My favorite flavors to date are roasted red bell pepper and a black bean hummus with a slight spicy kick!

Emilee says:

Thanks for the tip about tahini. I’m allergic to peanuts and so eat almond butter–which is all natural–so I’m going to try that in place of tahini and make this tomorrow.

Debra says:

Oh! How I love, love, love! hummus!! I have printed your recipe and appreciate you sharing it with us!

Debra says:

also – there is never a time when garlic is excessive in my opinion!!

I always make my Hummus with GREAT NORTHERN WHITE BEANS instead of garbanzo. I don’t like the texture of garbanzo…it makes me gag. However, white beans have a LOVELY smooth, buttery texture which just makes my homemade hummus even more delish! Also, you mentioned that you think the tahini is bitter, but I would be willing to bet that it is the raw garlic that you are experiencing a bitter taste from. Tahini is merely sesame seeds, and unless they are rancid, they are quite mild in flavor. Might I suggest roasting your garlic heads prior to using them in your hummus? That is the ONLY way I will use garlic in mine…and I would venture to guess that when your husband tries the velvety flavor of roasted garlic, he will change his mind about you making hummus! Besides, roasted garlic is fabulously easy to make and you can do several at a time and save the rest to make something yummy with! Love your blog!!

Noël says:

My husband and I were just discussing homemade hummus – Can’t wait to try this!

Vanessa says:

Your recipes makes me want to try hummus. It sounds very good. My mother will love this recipe! Thank you for sharing!!

Kate says:

I’m pregnant too, and I also get ridiculously sick (I’m 6 mon. now and just got the feeding tube out). However, once I get past that part, my body seems to think it needs to make up for lost time, so I’ve been looking for healthy snack recipes to keep myself from going overboard this time around. I’ll definately have to give this a try! Thanks!!!!

Jessica says:

Could you substitute sun-dried tomatoes for the peppers?

meredith says:

I was wondering about this too … interested to hear if it works if you try it :-)

• meredith says:

I did try the sun-dried tomato substitution (instead of the peppers) and it was amazing … probably the best and most flavorful, not to mention prettiest color hummus I’ve ever had!

Karen Evelyn says:

Love your fresh ideas and this twist on hummus. I haven’t always like hummus because the flavors tend to be bland. I will give this a try.

Thanks

*Just Fran* says:

Love LOTS of garlic in my hummus (and roasted garlic makes it even better). The red peppers are a nice twist from time to time. A great tip shared with me by a Syrian chef is to remove the skins of the garbanzo beans. It makes a smoother dip. I have a weird thing about textures, and it really does make a difference for me. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Like the addition of roasted peppers…nice alternate and healthy!

Becca says:

Oh I am totally going to have to give this a try. I learned how to make my own pitas not that long ago and this would be PERFECT with that! Thanks!!

Emily Gilgen says:

For those who don’t like the raw garlic taste, try roasting the garlic first. It mellows/sweetens the flavor of it considerably.

Andria says:

The military commissary often carries tahini, so if anyone you know is military, have them grab it for you. It’s also pretty dang easy to make your own tahini. Here’s a recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-homemade-tahini-377520
    I always make my own, since I soak the sesame seeds in water for a couple of hours before grinding them. This helps reduce the bitter flavor.

Michelle says:

This will be a great addition to my hummus recipes! I have a Vitamix and often use toasted sesame seeds and a little extra olive oil instead of tahini. Not sure how that would work in other food processor options though.

Eileen M. Schultz says:

Made this for my husband last night—he used the chips like a spoon and couldn’t get enough of it. Thanks for the great recipe!! This was my first try at making hummus—I can’t think why I waited so long. Quick, easy and delicious!!

Anna says:

I gave up on making my own hummus a few years ago when I couldn’t find tahini anywhere. When you posed this recipe I committed to finding tahini. I looked at my Wal-Mart Market for good measure, then spent a good half-hour searching Harmon’s for it – with no luck. I finally found it at Fresh Market in the peanut butter section. They even carry two brands of tahini!

I am eating the roasted red pepper hummus as I type this, since I couldn’t wait for it to refrigerate for an hour before digging in. Thanks for the great recipe!

Walmart, here in Central Ohio sells it (Tahini), same brand as posted above. It’s in the Mexican/Asian/Kosher section. It’s about $6-7.

Whitney says:

I found the tahini next to the peanut butter in my local grocery store if anyone else needs a tip of where to look.

Karen says:

Not a big fan of hummus but my daughter is so decided to try this–I really like it. Found the tahini at Whole Foods. Thanks for this, its yummy with pita chips.

shaffy says:

I love hummus. I recently made a version with roasted broccoli and cauliflower, and roasted the garlic too. PERFECT!!! Gone in two days. My usually ‘allergic-to-greens’ kids inhaled them with the home-made cheddar chips I made. I am definitely trying this version next :)

Scott says:

I make my own quite often. Try Edemamme Hummis, awesome! If your brave, try it with hot wing sauce, that a great one for your husbands on football day. When it comes to garlic, I make it with very little most of the time becasue my wife hates the sleeping breath it gives me.
    I also never use tahini, its full of fat and only adds a slight taste, in my opinion. Hummis can be very healthy, but the Tahini sort of decreases that value.

I just made this with a red pepper and garlic I roasted myself which took about 2 hours total and I like spicy but this is bit too spicy for me. I also don’t care for too strong of a cumin flavor so if I make it again I will omit the red pepper flakes and half the spices. Other than that, very good recipe. This is my first time making homemade hummus. The store bought stuff was gross so I never tried it again until I had fabulous hummus recently in a restaurant. Now I’m hooked.

Ashley says:

I just made this and it is fantastic!! I bought a jar of roasted red peppers on a whim at Costco one day and then went searching for things I could make with them. So glad I came across this recipe!

emily says:

yum this is the best hummus ever

Marlene says:

I can’t eat garlic and I have found horseradish to be a nice substitute. Also I consider cumin a MUST for hummus!