A few weeks ago a friend and I got talking about egg recipes (since she has chickens, and therefore fresh eggs in abundance!)  She mentioned she had made egg stuffed potatoes and they sounded so super yummy.  I love baked potatoes.  There has been a phase during all three of my pregnancies where the only thing I want to eat is a big baked potato with sour cream, chives, and lots of black pepper.  And I always scarf them down wishing they were also protein packed so I could feel somewhat justified in eating them so often.  This is my answer!  These are hollowed out baked potatoes filled with cheese and toppings with an egg cracked right in there.  It kind of all cooks together like a yummy omelet.  Think of it like hash browns and eggs all in one portioned edible container.  This is a fabulous meal for one, or for a whole crew.  You’ll need fully baked potatoes for this recipe.  This is a great use for leftovers!  You can bake them ahead of time, or right before you need them.  Slice a layer right off the top like this:

and then take a spoon and gently scoop out the insides.  You’ll want to leave a layer of potato in there so don’t go too crazy.  Save those insides for another meal!  You can make mashed potatoes (have you all tried the Mashed Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Potatoes in our book?  One of my favorites) or toss them in Baked Potato Soup.

You certainly don’t have to do this next step, but I think it adds extra yuminess and flavor.  Take a little melted butter and brush the inside of the potato all over.  You could also just toss a little pat of butter in there, but I like to coat the whole thing.  Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper as well.

Now add some cheese.  You can be creative; cheddar is always a great pick, or go with something like Fontina, Gruyere, or Muenster.

Choose any fillings you like; think of an omelet or a quiche and what you would like in something like that.   Cheddar and diced ham, or maybe sauteed mushrooms with Gruyere.  Or you could go southwest with sauteed bell peppers and onions with pepperjack cheese.  I’m going for a classic bacon and cheddar- can’t go wrong there.

Fill it up about 3/4 full, and then crack an egg right on top.

Sprinkle on a little more salt and pepper

and a few more toppings if you want.  I’m doing more cheese and bacon and some green onions.

and pop the potatoes in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

Now, even if you generally don’t like your eggs cooked over easy, you’ll want to keep them pretty soft in this recipe.  The eggs will blend in with the cheese and butter and create all kinds of flavor, but what you don’t want is a yummy baked potato with a hard boiled egg inside!  It’s helpful to not load the very top of your potatoes with so many toppings that you can’t see the egg.  The only way to really know how it’s cooked is to keep an eye on it and touch it for softness after about 20 minutes.

Pin It

I actually left mine in the oven about 2 minutes too long.  I blame my 1 year old who decided to unroll an entire roll of toilet paper in the toilet and try to flush it right as my timer was going off.  Grgh…  but at least they are still soft in this picture; I wouldn’t cook them any longer than this, and preferably a little less.  They’ll taste best when the yolks are at least soft, and best when they’re just a little runny (and that’s coming from a girl who doesn’t eat runny eggs!)

I think the best thing about this recipe is that it’s totally appropriate for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.  If you want to round it out a bit, serve it with a side of fresh fruit for breakfast or brunch and a simple green salad with lunch or dinner.

When I was looking at recipes like this around the web, most of them are traced back to The Village Cook, who mentioned she got the recipe from her mother and that it was based on a recipe from “The Supper Book” by Marion Cunningham.  She referred to it as an “Idaho Sunrise”, and as an Idaho girl myself, I can’t help but love that!

Also, listen up! We get a lot of requests for autographed copies of our book, which are hard to come by since Kate and I live thousands of miles apart!  But you have an opportunity to snag a copy of our book and have it autographed by the two of us, and most importantly support a really great cause.  This on-line auction just opened up and there are some really great items in there!  And because it’s just opened you can start the bidding and maybe get some amazing deals too!  Here’s the link to the autographed book, but make sure to check out all of the other options too.   We also get tons of emails inquiring about our amazing blog designer.  Check out her listing for a custom web design!  If you or anyone you know is looking into a new look for a website, Susie from Zee Studio is amazing.   So go check it out!

Patti says:

Marion Cunningham- isn’t she Richie’s mom? I thought she was fictional :)
    Good for you to get involved with Bully Bust. I think this recipe is clever and can’t wait to try it out!

Rae says:

ughhh… get in my mouth!

Sage says:

This looks delicious! I make something similar, except I use half of a green pepper instead of the potato. It makes a nice high protein post-workout snack.

Vera says:

I had twice-baked potatoes this morning, and I bet these will be even better than those. I gotta give this a try!

michelle says:

Love your tutorial! :) Thanks so much for the link back & cheese layer idea~ YUM! Have a blessed day!

Raylene says:

Any idea if this can be done with microwaved ‘baked’ potatoes? And whether you can cook the egg in it in the microwave too (I’d assume piercing the yolk would be necessary though)?

meredith says:

This is going on the menu right now!
    Looks like a new family staple!!
    Happy belated valentines … Love you guys :-)

There is nothing I love more than runny eggs. But to have it all baked together with eggs, cheese and bacon wrapped in potatoes?!!! This recipe is genius! I kind of hate baking potatoes because it takes soooo long, but I will definitely bake some up to try this!

Oh, my. This looks absolutely fantastic. After looking at chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate the past few days…and enjoying every second of making and eating all of those wonderful desserts…this looks absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to try it this weekend.

Jessen says:

My father is going to LOVE this. Potato + Egg to him = Happy Man. Now, Potato, Egg + Steak = Happiest Man for days! Thanks for the Idea.

Thesha says:

This looks so delicious! What a great idea, can’t wait to try it.

Stacey says:

Oh yum! Just this morning I was thinking that I need some baked egg recipes so I don’t have to scrub my stainless steel skillet every time I make scrambled eggs. Amazing timing!!!

Veronica says:

Great idea! I cant wait to try it. Baked potatoes are on the menu for tonight, I will just add a few more to the oven and get all ready for a yummy breakfast tomorrow!

Amanda V says:

Do you think scrambling the egg beforehand would be ok? Adjust the cooking time?

Sandee says:

ok this comment isnt about idaho sunrise, but februarys recipe on your calendar. holy delicious! i cut the recipe in half and made it in small 4-inch springform pans. it was a perfect valentines day treat!

So glad you liked that one Sandee! I haven’t made it since I photographed it for the calendar and it was sooo good!

• Patti says:

Every time my daughter walks into the den and sees that photo, she mopes. I haven’t made it for her yet. Guess I’d better get on it!

RitaMarie says:

We have stuffed baked potato night almost weekly here. This will be a great new twist on our same old, same old:)
    I went on over to the Baked Potato soup recipe and would love to try that with the leftover potato insides. My husband has a wheat allergy, can I use brown rice flour or cornstarch or ??? Would appreciate your thoughts on that.
    Have a great day.

Lisa Raby says:

Instead of using any flour or other things to thicken up potato soups I use instant potato flakes. That way it is still potatoes so no change in the flavor.I also use them when I get a little carried away with the pickle juice in potato salad, it thickens them right up and nobody is the wiser.

Katie says:

This sounds seriously delicious! I’m wondering if this would be good with a sweet potato? I just may have to try it out since I have a lot of them around from a friends garden.

WOW!! I seriously cannot wait to try these! I’m always looking for good protein-filled breakfast ideas, and oddly enough, my husband told me last night that I don’t make twice-baked potatoes nearly often enough. This might be the best of both worlds for me! I’ll just be sure potatoes and bacon are on my shopping list this week…

Sue Bowman says:

Um, yum! Gonna try this tomorrow morning as I revel in my 5 day weekend.

Kali Bogaard says:

Do you have a general method for oven baking your potatoes? I am lazy and always microwave them but the insides are definitely better when actually baked! Thanks in advance

I prick them once with a fork and place then directly on the oven rack (no foil). For extra crispy skin, I rub them with a light coat of vegetable oil before cooking. Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes. I just check them with a knife and take them out when I can tell they’re super soft inside. Better to overbake a little, than underbake!

Marnie says:

What variations would you (or any commenters) recommend for doing this with a sweet potato?

shannon says:

The sweet potato is fantastic southwest style. Pepperjack cheese, bell peppers, and some scallions. At least that’s how I like them!

• sara says:

That sounds good Shannon! Marnie, I was also thinking it would be really good with a creamy white cheese like muenster or fontina with caramelized onions. Maybe even spinach and mushrooms too? Now I’ve got to start experimenting with sweet potatoes!

Melanie Charlton says:

I’d like to come over to your house for breakfast! That looks yummy!!!

Ashley says:

You know, I can always tell which recipes are yours and which are Kate’s. You and I seem to have a similar taste palette. This sounds like a nice change up to my eggs and toast each morning.

RitaMarie- My mom is gluten intolerant and she says she uses rice flour in place of flour in these types of soups and it works great. Go ahead and try it.

Lesley says:

This looks excellent. What are the chances that it could be made ahead of time and frozen?

You could probably make them without the egg and then freeze. You could then thaw in the fridge and crack an egg in right before baking. I wouldn’t freeze them with the eggs though.

Saba says:

I too lived on potatoes… In tater-tot form… when I was pregnant — and laugh when my kids gobble up any potato put in front of them. Anyway, I can’t wait to try this recipie — is this something you can prep ahead for a party or a big group?

Sure, you could definitely prep and keep in the fridge for a day (or overnight) for a group. I’d crack the eggs in right before baking though.

What a fun and healthy idea! I am putting this at the top of my menu for dinner next week.

RitaMarie says:

Thanks Ruthann. I will try that.

Renay says:

Wow this looks great, what a brilliant idea! I can’t wait to try it. I know my family will love it!

Damyon says:

I will always try a new way to eat potatoes. Especially if they are grown in your own garden. I expect to soon blog about a lazy method of growing potatoes on top of the soil or a patio.

Michelle Hayward says:

Wow, have to try these out for the hubby who loves potatoes and eggs! Thanks!

Melissa says:

Mmmm… what about ham in the bottom and a little Hollandaise on top? Mmmm…

I must try this as soon as possible!

Joshua says:

I’m killing myself for having used up my potatoes last night for plain jane baked.

Annie Jones says:

I made these last night. They were a hit with the entire family. Ours were fairly set all the way through in order to get the whites set. Any tricks to keep the yolks soft, even runny, without the whites being runny, too?

Nancy Edds says:

Love your site! Would love to follow you on Pinterest! :O) Have you considered joining with this site?

Barbie says:

We loved this for breakfast this morning! You are a genius! I didn’t realize how frugal this meal would be. For 5 potatoes, I used 2 slices of bacon, 2 or 3 oz of cheese, and just 1 mushroom! Everybody got to have theirs topped with only the nibbles that pleased them. I topped mine with a tiny bit of sour cream, and it was phenomenal. This is being added permanently to my vacation menus.

Idaho Farm Girl says:

Hmmm – I love potatoes and I love eggs and I was raised on a farm in Idaho, but these don’t look a bit appealing. Something about the raw egg on top of a baked potato just turns my stomach even though I know it will be cooked before it’s eaten.

Oh, I’m so glad I decided to check my spam mailbox tonight. For some weird reason this post went there and I would have missed it! This looks delicious and would be easy enough to prepare mostly the night before and just add the egg and cook in the morning. As another Idaho girl, I’m pinning this right now so we can have it for breakfast or dinner next week.

Just saw this recipe which was shared by The Root Cellar’s Garden on FB and decided to try it out for lunch. It was totally yummy although my 3 year old opted to just eat the salad instead :) This isn’t a recipe I would have come up with on my own but it’s really tasty and I can see myself making it often for lunch!

Lisa K says:

Like Amanda V, I was wondering about scrambling the eggs ahead of time. What are your thoughts on that? :)

Personally that doesn’t sound good to me, but you could try it if you want. I think whole, unscrambled eggs work much better here both taste and texture-wise.

Coby says:

The thought of eating a runny egg gives me the willies. As in, I’m slightly afraid of it! But these look SO good!

Have you had them with the egg cooked all the way through? I’m wondering if it affects the flavor, or just the texture?

The eggs in my photo are cooked all the way through and they tasted great; just make sure they’re soft. They don’t have to be *runny* but you want to still keep them soft.

Alaina says:

I am trying these tonight…they look fantastic! Question though…do you eat the skins? I don’t usually eat the skins, but it seems that with all of the scooping of the potatoes, you’re not left with much other than the toppings and eggs. No?

emily larsen says:

My family (even the tiny kids)all loved the Idaho Sunrise–thanks for the recipe. I do need some help with it though…it took about 35-40 min. to cook to even get the whites of the eggs done and then by that time, the yolk was mostly done. Any advice? It definitely needs the yolk runny. Not sure what I did wrong…should I wrap the potatoes up, or cook at a higher temp?
    thanks so much!

That’s weird Emily- did you have ginormous eggs or something? lol The whites should definitely cook faster than the yolk so I’m not sure what to tell ya!

Michelle says:

Emily – I had the same problem. I think it’ll be better to cook it at a lower temperature for longer – because my egg whites were under cooked but by the time they were fully set the yolk was no longer runny. I’m not sure what the higher temperature will do, but if you try it again, let me know what worked. My other idea is to not put any toppings on top of the egg, that way it can cook more evenly…

hekawi says:

I love this idea — any chance I could scramble the eggs before baking? We’re exclusively scrambled egg people; I’m sure that’s why the Lord brought us together. :)

Michelle says:

MMM – can’t wait to try this one out for dinner tonight! Now, what to put with it? Salad maybe? Suggestions anyone?

Wendi says:

Loved these, but I was thinking they’d be even better with the eggs, bacon, veggies and cheese all mixed up THEN poured in the shelled-out potatoes. Kinda life a quiche.

marya says:

I made these and they turned out great — EXCEPT… Either I didn’t scoop out enough of the potato, or my potatoes were too small. The egg overflowed! I just wiped off the outside and popped them in the oven and they were still great and super cute. :)

Lucy says:

I LOVE baked potatoes! And I especially like cheese on baked potatoes. Thanx so much for this recipe.

Jennifer Mills says:

I made these last week. We have 6 chickens so we had quite the fridge full of eggs I needed to use. WOW these are absolutely AMAZING. Please folks do not scramble them, that gorgeous soft egg, pooling onto your cheese and bacon….. WOW!!!

Steph thompson says:

I made these tonight and my family liked them. I cooked them at least 30 minutes trying to get the whites to firm up. Then I realized that with the butter and oil from the toppings, things were going to stay loose even after the whites were cooked. Maybe that’s the same problem others were having. Anyway, my yolks were still fairly soft, but now that I realize the whites were actually cooked earlier than I realized I would cook for less time to keep my yolks a little more runny. And I think I might top it with a chopped avocado after it comes out of the oven. :)

Steph thompson says:

Ok, after attempting to bake something else tonight I realized that my oven is on the frits and that’s why the cooking time was off for me. Dang, I really hope I can figure out what’s wrong.

Maura says:

Yes!! This breakfast has everything and it’s so clean and compact! I can definitely do without the 3-4 dirty pans and 12″ plate sprawl. Oh yeah, and it looks unbelievably good..haha. Thank you!

Kelsey says:

Do you think these could be frozen ahead of time?

charlotte willson says:

@KELSEY, I BAKED UP A BUNCH OF THEM TODAY AND PLAN ON FREEZING THE LEFT OVERS. HOPE IT WORKS……

CC MCCART says:

What time should I be there for brunch? I’ll bring the Mimosas and my very own fork/knife/spoon/plate….

What a tasty treat!

CHEERS, CC

Mary T., Illinois says:

Hello!!

I found your site by chance because I get a newletter/blog from “Recipe For A Simple Life.” They did a “Menu Plan Monday” and the Egg Stuffed Baked Potatoes was on the menu. I’m glad I clicked my link because it brought me to this interesting recipe and then I discovered many more!! Myself and my older son are picky eaters but I found several recipes on this site that I can’t wait to try. Oh, did I also mention that I don’t like to cook…at all? I tell everyone I cook to survive…well, your website may have me looking for a new “motto.”

Thank you again!!
    A Former Hater of Cooking!!

Meredith says:

Has anyone tried these over a fire/grill? I’m going camping this weekend, and these would be great! However, not sure about the logistics with the egg and open flame….Maybe wrapped in foil? Thoughts?

SharonZee says:

Just so ya know, I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest. Have it in the oven right now only I put a Red Flannel Hash type mixture in it; potato chunks, cubed beets, some home-smoked pork shoulder, red onion. I’m hungry right now and typing it out makes me even hungrier. Later in the fall after the pigs are slaughtered and we have our own bacon and ham, won’t this be good on a cold night. Bon appetite!

Grandma says:

Clarisa: You can microwave the potatoes for about 3 minutes each and that will shorten the time to bake them in the oven to get the results you want.

Lisa says:

Made these tonight and at 15 minutes the whites were not cooking. Microwaved them for 30 seconds and perfect. Delicious. Definitely will have these at my next brunch.

charlotte willson says:

@LISA, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SO I JUST STUCK THEM BACK IN THE OVEN AND WATCHED CLOSELY TIL THEY WERE DONE. THEY CAME OUT FINE…BUT NEVER THOUGHT OF PUTTING THEM IN THE MICRO WAVE. THANKS

laura hall says:

I didn’t read all the posts so don’t know if someone already mentioned this, but if you butter or use olive oil on the skin and throw them in the toaster oven for a bit, skin side up, you’ll get a crispier skin! Of course, that’s before you fill them. Yummy!

charlotte willson says:

@LAURA HALL, I TOOK MY CANOLA SPRAY AND SPRAYED INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF THE POTATOES WHILE THEY WERE ON THE COOKING SHEET….WHICH GAVE ME A LITTLE CRISP TO MY SKINS WITHOUT THE EXTRA STEEP. BUT GREAT IDEA FOR THOSE THAT LIKE CRISPY SKINS.

Mindy Rogers says:

omg!!! This sounds heavenly!!

Peter says:

Absolutely delicious! But you’ve really got to nail that perfect amount of potato that you leave in there or it’ll be undercooked. Anyone have any idea?

Breezee says:

Just made this for breakfast today, amazing!!!!

These look so good! Can’t believe I never thought of putting the egg right in the potato! Thanks so much for sharing!

Nicole says:

I made this for breakfast today for myself and my other half! We both enjoyed it! I’m going to share this with my mom who owns a Cafe! Thank you

ann says:

LOVE this idea and can’t wait to try, Once we try and I am sure we will LOVE is it ok with you if we share on our blog and link back to your original?

katerina says:

could u tell me how much time do u bake the potatoes before starting the whole procedure with rhe eggs? loved the recipe!

charlotte willson says:

@KATERINA, JUST BAKE THEM LIKE YOU WOULD A NORMAL BAKED POTATO. THEN SCOOP THEM OUT. TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON THE SIZE AND TYPE OF POTATOES.

charlotte willson says:

OMG!. THESE WERE WONDERFUL. I FOLLOWED YOUR DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER EXCEPT THE BUTTER ON THE INSIDE I SPRAYED WITH CANOLA OIL. I HAD TO BACK THEM A LITTLE LONG THAN YOU SAID BUT I KEPT MY EYE ON THEM SO I DID NOT OVER COOK THEM. WE HAD THEM FOR LUNCH AND THEY WERE GREAT. MY HUSBAND IS GIVING ME IDEALS FOR THE NEXT BATCH WE MAKE…SAUSAGE ON THE BOTTOM INSTEAD OF BACON, MORE VEGGIES. I MADE A BATCH OF 15 AND WILL BE FREEZING THE REST FOR QUICK MEALS TO COME. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS RECIPE IT IS 100% A HIT HERE. WE ARE ALSO GOING TO BE MAKING YOUR BAKED POTATO SOUP THIS AFTERNOON WITH THE INSIDES OF THOSE POTATOES. AFTER THE ZUCCHINI BREAD IS DONE. CHARLOTTE

julia g says:

Can you make these with scrambled eggs? The egg would most likely saturate the filings, but I wonder if it would cook all the way through…what do you think?

Roxanne says:

Baked potatoes are one of the ingredients how long do I have to bake them for before I put the rest of the ingredients in! Do I have to bake them?

Kelsey says:

So, I followed the directions to the T, but after 20 minutes, the whites on my eggs were totally soupy still, but the yolks were done. I left it in for a few more minutes until the egg whites weren’t totally liquid, but the yolks were cooked through hard. =( The concept is so great I’d be willing to try it again… do you have any tips or ideas about what might have happened?

Nedders says:

We do this but with sausage meat and call them Sausage breakfast boats..they are GRRRReat.

Jeannette Howiler says:

we love these. I have made them a few times now. quick and easy and delicious!!

Toni says:

I made these over Christmas when my boys were home. They were delicious, fun, and a nice breakfast. Thanks so much for the idea.

OMG this makes me so hungry…added to my bookmarks and going to try this for breakfast soon. Thanks for posting!

Lisa Ferguson says:

I love making breakfast for supper! This will be a nice easy supper on nights I am late getting home from work and too tired to cook a big meal. Thanks for the great recipe! :-)

This is SUCH a great idea!! I typically do not like baked potatoes because they are BLAND. But, I would SO go for this. How perfect and UNIQUE. :-) Not to mention, your blog is ADORABLE. I love the design sooooo much!

Candy says:

How can I post this to Facebook??

Janet says:

Yum, thanks for the idea! I made it this morning and used “Bac-Uns” for a vegetarian version. Will make it again.

Sherri says:

I don’t see that anyone has commented about the scrambled egg option. I love the sunnyside up, but my husband won’t eat them! Has someone tried them scrambled?

I personally don’t think scrambled eggs would taste very good here, but you could if you want! You’d want to really undercook them though, or not cook them at all after they go in the potato or they’ll end up overcooked.

Toni Fierro says:

I made these for breakfast today, they were delicious. Brushing the inside with butter, a must. Next time I am going to bake the potatoes ahead of time. We put a little salsa on them it was good. Going to try it with green chilies in them next time. My daughters do not like their eyes sunnyside up but really loved this, the eggs were not real runny.

laurel says:

i just can’t do runny or soft yolk eggs. i’m thinking this would be just as awesome if you mixed up the egg so it was more like scrambled or an omelet. i will try this but not with a runny yolk. thanks for sharing!!!!!

bette says:

After reading comments about the egg white remaining runny, I was wondering if poaching the egg before adding it to the top would help. I think I will try it that way and see what happens.

Sharon Austin says:

I had runny whites also and had to cook about 30-40 min. I think the problem was cold potatoes out of the fridge. Next time I will re heat the potatoe (with butter) before adding the other ingredients.

Sharon Austin says:

Also make sure your potToe is large enough.

Katie Smith says:

I made these tonight for a light dinner using leftover salt-baked potatoes. YUM. My husband loves runny eggs so I made his as the recipe states but I really dislike runny eggs so I scrambled mine. It took about 15 minutes longer to bake before the eggs were cooked but not overcooked. I used a fork to allow the scrambled egg to spread through the fillings (I used cheddar and steamed broccoli) before baking. The end result was like a soft omelette inside. It worked really well with the soft potato.

I scooped some potato out of the tops and covered those with cheddar and broccoli and baked those as well. Yummy potato skins :)

Jerry g says:

Next time I go out with the Scouts (Canadian) I’m going to do this in my dutch oven. But I’ll toast my skins up a bit over some coals.

Erin says:

Made this today, absolutely delicious!!!!! Cooked 10 minutes longer than suggested and worked perfectly. Added cheddar and finely chopped broccoli I and asparagus. Thanks for sharing!!!

Stacy says:

How much of this can be done the night before? (sorry if you have already answered this in the comments…but I didn’t see anything!)

You could bake your potatoes ahead of time, but you’d probably want to warm them up a little before baking them again so they get nice and hot by the time the egg is done.

Sonja says:

Muss die Kartoffel 2x gebacken werden? Und wie lange vor dem aushöhlen?
    Do you must cook the portato bevor you fill it? And how long?

Yes, you need a baked potato. I bake mine at 400 degrees F for about an hour, or until they can be easily pierced with a fork.

Tangle says:

I’ve got mine in the oven as we speak :)

Danke für dieses wunderbare Rezept. Es ist wirklich großartig und meine Familie war begeistert!
    Herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland

marie says:

does it always have to be a microwave oven or can i also use an oven toaster?

Kathy says:

OMG this looks awesome ! I think I am going to try, but use : shredded mozzarella cheese – then sauteed green onions and mushrooms and green peppers – then add shredded cooked chicken – crack the egg on top – and top with more cheese, salt, pepper and a little mixture of italian seasonings – this would make it a dinner type meal with the chicken – can’t wait to make this tonight – its a dish I can do for one – my 18 year old son just left and was sworn into the Marines, so for first time by myself in 34 years – this is perfect because I can change and make it different any night just by changing the ingredients.

omer says:

it was amazing

Rosalina says:

How long and what degree do you leave in the potato the first time you back it, before uyou scrape off the top?

Amber says:

Mine have been baking at 350 for 30 minutes and the whites of the eggs are still runny. I even preheated the oven! Help :(

LIndsey says:

I have these in the oven right now and I am NERVOUS! First, I Do Not like runny eggs. Hubs does, and the assurance that you like this recipe despite not liking runny eggs sold me. Second, the comments about the yolk cooking before the whites have me a little antsy, since I did bake my potatoes earlier today. They’ve just been sitting warm on the stove though, not cold in the fridge, so hopefully that’s not a problem. My biggest fear is that, as a person who has NEVER cooked runny eggs, that my cook time will be off and ruin them. This seems pretty time-sensitive. Fingers crossed! If it’s a success, it’s definitely something easy that my family will love!

Heather says:

Oh my! I got home late last night and all I could think about was a baked potato with an over easy egg on top. I googled it, and found this recipe. I made it, but put the cheese and toppings on top, because I forgot to put them INSIDE the egg. Worked well. This is SOOO good! I will for sure be making this many times for a quick dinner! Thanks!

Steve says:

Just made these tonight for wifey and I! Fantastic! Will be so good on a cold winters night! Thanks for the recipe.

chen says:

Kosher salt and pepper + BACON?

remy says:

Thanks for this wonderful recipe. Love to make this for my kids