Posted in Cookies, Sara

The other night I had to run to the grocery store.  I generally do everything humanly possible to not take all of my children to the store with me at the same time, but this particular night I had no choice.  It was just about bed time and everyone was cranky already when I realized I would need to pack them all up to get some things I’d need early the next morning.  It was as chaotic as I had predicted, with general arguments and whining ensuing over which two would get to drive in the race car part of the cart, why we couldn’t buy doughnuts and Cheetos, and why Mom made them put back the 12 packs of gum they grabbed while in the check-out lane.  By the time I was trying to get everyone back into the car to head home, almost everyone was screaming (including me.)  I was half-bent over in the car trying to get car-seats buckled without getting kicked in the face, when I emerged and saw a gentleman standing at the end of my car.  With a sweet smile he said, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you, I just wanted to see if I could offer you a hand.  Can I take your cart for you?”  I assumed he was passing by on his way into the store anyway and thanked him kindly.  My cart was still full of groceries so we quickly unloaded them.  The man told me he had a few grandchildren now, but he had raised three boys of his own and remembered what it was like to have your hands full.  We only chatted for a brief moment; I thanked him again and off he went, wheeling my giant race car cart back into to the store.   As I was driving away, I noticed the man coming back out of the store.  It wasn’t until then that I realized he had armfuls of his own groceries and he had trekked all the way across the parking lot to help me before returning to his own car.  And that’s when I felt a few little girly tears welling up in my eyes.  And I suddenly felt an immense surge of gratitude for someone I didn’t know, for an act of kindness that was so simple, yet so meaningful to a stressed out, tired Momma at the end of a long day.  I wish I knew who that man was so I could thank him with a big plate of cookies, now that I’m not so frazzled.  But since I don’t, I’m going to serve up some virtual cookies in his honor and as a little reminder of how important it is to look beyond ourselves and find opportunities to do kind deeds, and also to pay it forward when they’re received.  I’m so thankful for little reminders of goodness in the world.  It seems the media, and social media are constantly throwing the disturbing, the depressing, and the shocking in our faces that sometimes it’s nice to recognize plain ol’ warm fuzzy moments.  Here’s to you Mr. sweet-parking-lot-guy-who-made-my-night.  Have a virtual cookie!

Sometimes “snickerdoodle” recipes are nothing more than sugar cookies, rolled in cinnamon sugar.  And sometimes they’re puffed and fluffy.  A true snickerdoodle isn’t fluffy; it’s chewy.  It should sink down after baking so it gets a crinkly top and perhaps most importantly, it should have a signature tang, from this:

Have you ever wondered what cream of tartar even is?  It’s actually a by-product of the wine making process.  It’s a residue that’s formed as the grapes ferment.  It has many uses in cooking, maybe most commonly to stabilize egg whites in meringues, but it also prevents crystallization of sugar so it’s often used in syrups, caramels, candies, and icings.  It’s a common ingredient in baking powder as well, so in certain recipes it’s used for it’s leavening abilities.  You can buy it near the seasonings and spices in the grocery store, or sometimes near the baking soda and powder.  In this particular recipe, it does aid in leavening, but also adds the unique flavor.  I’ve heard people say before that they love snickerdoodles, but they don’t like the taste of the cream of tartar in them.  If that’s the case, then you don’t really like snickerdoodles!  I love this particular recipe because the cookies taste so buttery and have the perfect chew, and y’all know I love a chewy cookie.

Start by creaming a combination of butter and shortening, with sugar for several minutes.  Then add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.

The dough is quite soft; don’t don’t don’t add more flour.

Roll the dough into balls and give them a dip in some cinnamon-sugar.  Give your finger a dip too.

Place them on parchment lined cookie sheets, and remember they’ll spread, so give them a little space.

Cooking time here is pivotal; if you overcook these snickerdoodles then they will be “thin and crispy” instead of “soft and chewy”.  The trick is to watch the edges first; they should be just set, but the centers should still look raw between all of those cinnamon cracks.  The cookies will be pillowy and puffy looking while in the hot oven,

and when they come out they’ll start to fall- which is what they’re supposed to do!

That’s how they get those beautiful crackly tops.  After they’ve cooled, they’ll flatten out even more.

When cooked just right; they’re perfection.  And when cooked just wrong- they actually still taste super good, so either way you’ll get your yumminess.

Pin It

Fill up your cookie jar, or eat a few and then hide them in the depths of your freezer if you have no self control.  Like me no one I know.

Once cooled, those slightly under-cooked centers become perfectly cooked and yield a soft, chewy, buttery, interior.

Go on.  You know you want to make them.

(and pssst…have you entered the giveaway yet?  Click here!)

And now for the questions-I-already-know-are-coming section…

Q:  These look great!  But can I leave out the cream of tartar or substitute something else?  I don’t have any and I think it tastes funny.
A:  No ma’am.  Or sir.  Or whoever you happen to be.  In the words of CI, “Cream of tartar is essential to the flavor of these cookies and it works in combination with the baking soda to give the cookies lift; do not substitute baking powder.” If you don’t like cream of tartar, then guess what?  You don’t like Snickerdoodles!  Make a sugar cookie instead.

Q: Did you know that shortening causes obesity, birth defects, chronic foot odor, and the avian bird flu?  It’s true.  I refuse to use it, and you should too.  After I’m done lobbying congress to stop the production of Crisco, can I make these with all butter?
A:  Can you make them with butter? Of course you can.  You could also make them with margarine, applesauce, or a bucket of rocks.  You all should know by now how much we support butter usage, so of course they will taste yummy.  But shortening plays a key role in this cookie.  Combined with the butter it gives optimal texture while allowing the flavor of the butter to come through.  If you leave the shortening out, cookies will spread more, have a crispier texture, and lack chewiness.  Will they taste good?  Of course!  Just know we call for ingredients for a reason.

Q:  Hi, I want to make these but I live in [insert foreign country of your choice here] so I don’t understand all this nonsense about cups and tablespoons.  Can you please convert the recipe to every other existing measuring system for me?
A:  One word, my friend:  Google.

Q:  Sara, how do you know all the things we’re going to ask before we ask them??
A: I’m a genius.

Mark Petersen says:

It’s like you put the “or Sir” in there just for me! I feel like I’m the only male participant here most of the time.

Question that Sara forgot:
    Being a single male college student, I’m too poor/lazy to run out and buy unsalted butter when I already have salted butter. How much salt should I hold out of this recipe when I make this?

Oh, but I didn’t forget (see I am a genius!) In the recipe I noted that if you use salted butter (like I do) you can omit the table salt entirely.

And you bet the “sir” was *just* for you Mark ;) I know for a fact we have lots of male readers, but they don’t speak up and comment very often- we appreciate that you do!

Nate Astle says:

I am glad I am not the only male reader on here. I feel kind of bad at times as most of this is geared towards girls but I do more of the cooking in my house, or at least I enjoy it more than my wife does.

• sara says:

Hello Nate! I’m glad you spoke up, we always like to hear from our signature MEN! :)

• Mama Pris Phillips says:

Nate — your wife is a lucky lady!! Men who can cook are awesome!! (My man cooks quite a bit too, and I love it!) ~mama pris

I substituted Coconut oil for the crisco because its better for you, and its a similar texture. I kept the butter as called for, of course. And together, they made a soft chewy cookie that tasted great. Just thought I would pass that along as a good tip if you are worried about consuming shortening. Thanks for the great recipe!

I have 3 small boys as well and must look pretty helpless, because I have had people (angles, really) help me like that twice recently. Both times I felt like it was the nicest service I have ever received and I hope I can remember to do the same when I don’t have children with me anymore. And for some reason, I didn’t think of eating a cookie for them. Silly me! The snickerdoodles look great!

Leigh Ann says:

What a great story! And reading your Q&A made me smile :) I use part shortening and part butter in my chocolate chip cookies for texture as well (the flattened, crispy, all butter Nestle Tollhouse version just doesn’t do it for me) and I’ve found a nice compromise in the butter flavored Crisco. It gives me the texture I want along with the extra buttery flavor of an all butter cookie.

Thesha says:

Thanks for the laugh and the warm fuzzies Sara. I know how it is having cranky kids at the grocery store (or any place for that matter), I’m glad that you had an angel to help you when you needed it and that there are still people out there willing to be that angel. I love snickerdoodles, thank you for the recipe.

JConnolly says:

Your pre-conceived question/answer sessions are almost like therapy to me because they say the things I want to say. Sometimes I read the comments sections and think about how I could never write a blog that was so useful, because people seem to become so dependant on it, and start asking all sorts of crazy questions like the blogger is now the authority on anything even slightly related to the blog topic. Your “Google” answer cracked me up because that’s what I sort of say out loud to myself when I read a lot of these questions. Now, I do appreciate comments where people say “I didn’t have *this* so I decided to use *that* and it worked totally awesome (or flopped)” because that is helpful. Questions like “Your beef stew recipe looks awesome, but I’m allergic to beef and I don’t like stew. Could you recommend some substitutions”….those are just baffling really. Okay, okay…rant over. Anyway, thanks for calling people out on that nonsense.

Asia says:

Vegetable shortening, we’re talking butter flavored crisco, right?

Ailene says:

These can be rolled in a combination of sugar and pumpkin pie spice in the fall. :)

Sophia says:

Snickerdoodles. My most favorite cookie!!!!

RitaMarie says:

Thanks Sara for making me laugh and cry on this beautiful Monday morning. What a great story and paying it forward is the way to go. The cookies look great:)

Andrea says:

It takes a village is what runs through my head! I too like the pre q & a section. And although I do think its a bit ironic that I’m waiting for my two hour, after eight hours of fasting, gestational diabetes test reading this, great post and looks like a great recipe!

Heather says:

Sara, you are an awesome baker and a GREAT writer, too! Thanks for helping my day start out well!

Jesse says:

So, I’m pretty much an OBB groupie. I seriously love you two. I use recipes from the website several times EVERY week! Just curious if there will ever be an OBB iphone app? Not that it’s such a big deal to type it in to my web browser, but just curious :) Thanks for what you’ve done for this girl’s “casserole and spahetti upbringing”!

Yes! That’s all I’m saying for now :)

• Tina says:

can I make a special request for a Windows phone app also, not all of us are on the iphone!

• Jesse says:

I literally just squealed!

• Tabitha says:

I’m so excited!! I found your website 3 days ago, and love it! Humor, excellent recipes, loads of pictures… Only taking it mobile could make it better. Oh, and I rarely buy cookbooks, but yours is going on my Christmas list. (If nobody buys it for me, well, then Merry Christmas to me, from me!)

Idaho Farm Girl says:

These look fantastic. I love all your FAQ at the end of your post! I would have substituted butter (without asking, mind you – I just routinely do that in any recipe that calls for shortening) but since you posted about the need for shortening I guess I’ll buy a tiny bit and use it! Snickerdoodles are one of those treats that has lots of girlhood memories for me. I’m excited to make these for my boys. Thanks for posting!

danielle says:

I remember these from when I was young too. We always used the cream of tartar and I know I love the cookie, but I didn’t think the cream of tartar tasted like anything. will have to buy some fresh and make a batch, just to be sure!

ps- made the tin can treats for Valentines’ Day and it was a huge success! I have “grown” kids and the starbucks card fit in there perfectly- funny though, my 18 year old daughter couldn’t figure how to pop open the top!

I actually experimented and tried baking with all-butter and half-butter/half-shortening, and I actually found that the half-shortening cookies were slightly cakey. Both are delicious though!!! (Thanks Sara!) :) However, I liked the all-butter ones more – because they had a better chew. If you’re worried about them spreading, just chill the dough for a bit before baking!

My husband recently informed me that he LOVES snickerdoodles (after being together for 10 years, he finally shares this) so I’ll have to get me some cream of tartar & get baking! Love the Q&A by the way–made my morning!

Missy says:

I purchase all my spices from a little Amish community less than 30 minutes from my home. The last time I went to buy cream of tartar, they told me about angel cream which is what they use. I can’t tell a difference between the two and the angel cream was a lot less expensive than the cream of tartar.

Just a little FYI: Did you know that you can make a paste out of hydrogen peroxide and cream of tartar to get rust stains out of fabric? I know. Weird.

Jill says:

I noticed in the photos that you used rimmed pans to bake the cookies. I might have missed this somewhere but I always thought cookies had to be baked on rim-less cookie sheets. Or is this this like putting a baby in a crib – on tummy or or depends on how you were taught and current wisdom at the time?

Thanks for the story and the recipe!

It really makes no difference in terms of baking. Rimless sheets are simply easier to maneuver a spatula through, and have slightly different dimensions. But in terms of baking surface, there’s not much difference.

(Then again, all my babies are tummy sleepers, so maybe I’m just a rebel? ;)

Patti says:

Even though I already knew the story about the man helping you with the cart, it still made me cry. I like nice people. I don’t like mean people, and it seems that if you watch any amount of news, you only hear about the mean people. So thanks for putting your story on the blog.
    My Snickerdoodle recipe is very similar to yours (it uses both butter and shortening, and cream of tartar). Maybe I’ll have to bake up a batch of each recipe and do a taste test! Wow, can you imagine how many cookies will be lying around here if I do that? Probably not many because Snickerdoodles are so yummy! I only bake mine for 8 minutes. Over-baking is the worst!

Alicen says:

Your story just made me start bawling. I hunger for stories of goodness in the world. There’s too many bad stories on the news and I think it tends to warp my mind. Thanks so much for sharing that! And the recipe…can’t wait to make them!! Pinning right now.

Molly says:

Love Snickerdoodles! I have to share this recipe I found. I made it for my dad’s birthday and the frosting is TO DIE FOR!!!! I love food, but don’t get super excited about it very often. Allow me to repeat: the frosting is TO DIE FOR!!!! http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2011/08/26/snickerdoodle-cake-with-brown-sugar-cinnamon-buttercream/

Holly says:

Snickerdoodles were one of the first things we made in cooking class in 7th grade- thanks for the trip down memory lane! I noticed the paddle on your mixer is not the standard issue kitchen aid paddle. I think it’s just what I need. Mine never seems to reach the edges of the bowl and I am forever using a spatula to blend the ingredients. Would you mind sharing where you found it? I’ve seen them on amazon but do not know which brand would be best.
    PS. Why doens’t kitchen aid include it as their standard? Seems like it would be a big help!

Wendy Perkins says:

Most cooking supply stores carry those beaters.

• Mhairi says:

In Australia the beaters are sold as Kitchenaid but when I asked why they weren’t included I was told that while they are endorsed by Kitchenaid they aren’t made by the company but rather a subsidiary. I think that is right. Also check before you use them as non-genuine ones can void your warranty – if there is any left on it!!!

Jessica Roberts says:

I’ve used vinegar instead of cream of tartar in ‘my’ snickerdoodle recipe before with great success. :)

Emilee says:

You’re also a genius for knowing that I’ve been wanting to try Snickerdoodles and was disappointed not to find a recipe in the OBB recipe index–which is the first place I look when I want to make something new. Your timing with this recipe is perfect for me.

Allison brinkerhoff says:

Love the Q&A. Lol.

I’ve been looking for a good snickerdoodle recipe. They’re not my favorite, but I have some friends and family members that LOVE them. Thanks for the recipe! By the way, I love the photos! I want one of those little milk bottles!

Owned by a Westie says:

Loved, loved, LOVED the story about the parking-lot-gentleman and your FAQ’s were spot on! When my daughter & son were very young, we were caught in a torrential downpour of Biblical proportions in the grocery store parking lot! As I struggled to get my babies in their car seats and my groceries in the back before they were totally ruined, a gentleman appeared with not one, but two umbrellas that he used to shield me AND my cart full of groceries from the rain! It made a huge impact on me – so much so that I determined to raise my kids (especially the future gentleman) to try to think in that same way. Needless to say that I was brought to girly tears recently when my (now 21 year-old) son jumped out of his car in the store parking lot to help a woman who had fallen on a patch of black ice. (Thankfully I was still in the car so he didn’t get embarassed by my mooshiness! :) Thanks for your wonderful blog and all of your great recipes…..oh, and for letting me stroll down memory lane here! :)

emily says:

Thanks for sharing your grocery store experience with us! It brings back memories of all the simple but profound acts of kindness that have blessed my life. Thank you as well for the snicker doodle recipe. It’ll be the perfect treat to make with the kids on this looooong, snowy afternoon!

Oh! And loved the Q and A. Made me giggle through my tears :)

Leslie says:

Oh Thank You Thank You! I know exactly what you mean and how you feel taking your kids to the store! It’s almost always a a nightmare for me! I wanted to say thanks for this recipe. I lost my beloved snicker-doodles recipe and I have missed it so! And yes, there is NO substitution for the Cream of Tartar!

Jodi says:

I love everything about this post, from the sweet man in the parking lot to the Q&A at the end. Plus, snickerdoodles were my favorite cookies from childhood (and the 2nd ones I learned to make on my own) cream of tartar and all!

Wendy Perkins says:

Well, thanks a lot. I’ve never been a fan of snickerdoodles, and now I’m going to have to try these. I need cookies around like a hole in the head.

On a more serious note, and referring back to your (very funny) FAQ, I don’t generally have veggie shortening around. (OK, go ahead and sigh.) But (and this will probably sound really strange) I do have lard. Any idea if lard would be a suitable substitute for shortening? I’ve often wondered, but have never had the courage to try it.

Honestly Wendy, I’ve never cooked with lard before so I’m not sure! The good thing about shortening is that it lasts a really long time, so you can get some and keep it in your pantry even if you don’t use it very often.

Ian says:

I used a lard / butter combination to make this recipe last night, and it came out absolutely perfect. I buy the Armor brand stuff in the big tub (ha ha), which you can use exactly the same way you’d use vegetable shortening (and like vegetable shortening, it also does not require refrigeration).

I for one LOVE the taste of Cream Of Tartar. I’ve never spooned it out of the jar and fed it to myself, but i’ve considered it. I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t like it’s slightly metalic taste.

I’m going to make a batch of these babies for my Opthemologist neighbor who recently diagnosed pink eye and handed me drops for my infected daughter’s eyes late Saturday night. It was such a relief not to go to Instacare and then the late night pharmacy.

Thanks for the kind guesture idea.

By the way, I gave all my neighbors uncooked snickerdoodle balls for a Christmas gift this year, only I called them Sokoldoodles. Clever eh?

I started out making snickerdoodles in 1958 from a recipe I got out of Betty Crockers cooking book…the only difference I see in her recipe and yours is she used more flour (2 3/4 cups) and a 1/4 tsp of salt…I made these cookies and gave as gifts ,with the recipe attached to bow, to their teachers Over the years I found out I had been given the name of the snickerdoodle lady..lol But it was a compliment to me and to the Lady who put this recipe into the Cookbook …who was:Mrs.Ronald Anidinson..formerly Pat Roth of the Betty Crocker staff. Thought you would of like to know how far back this recipe has been traveling…that’s just when I got hold of it. You can add cocoa to this recipe if you love chocolate….I’m still baking them ….

We LOVE a good snickerdoodle around here! :) Great post – great story at the beginning – great preemptive Q&A at the end!!
    “Q: Sara, how do you know all the things we’re going to ask before we ask them??
    A: I’m a genius.”
    Bahahahaha!! Awesome. Some of the questions/comments you two get are just ridiculous.
    Let’s see… Typical gray, rainy day in Washington – I foresee baking in my near future. :)

Ashlee Werner says:

I love you Sara! And I love LOVE Snickerdoodles! Thanks for the tips!

mel tardy says:

one of my all time FAVORITE cookies! And yes, cream of tartar is essential. And I love your sassy preventative answers to the hilarious questions coming your way. Love your blog!

Peggy says:

Thank you so much for this recipe and information. I love snickerdoodles but they are always hard and never flat! I just made a batch with your recipe and cooking tips and they look and taste AWESOME! My daughter even said, “these are the best cookies mommy!!”. So thank you… I will always use this recipe now to make snickerdoodles and will make them more often!

Maquel says:

Ok so what about margarine? I’m not much of a butter person when it comes to cookies, it’s usually marg for me. Can I use marg. and butter instead of crisco and butter?

Oh dear sweet Maquel… :) Butter is better, my dear! Just try it. Do it for me. And for your cookies.

With very few exceptions, butter is always preferred in cooking recipes, but even more so in baking. Both the flavor and texture of the final product will be superior when butter is used in recipes calling for butter. Margarines are all different and contain additional ingredients, like water and oils, that can alter the results of whatever you are making.

Carrie says:

Love Snickerdoodles (use my grandma’s recipe – so yummy and tangy from the C of T) and love this post. Seriously, if people don’t want to use salt or shortening (or whatever else is the no no of the moment) that’s fine, they don’t have to use it, but please don’t try to keep the rest of us from having access to it!

I love these cookies but haven’t found a recipe that gave me the right flavor and texture. Will have to give this a whirl.

I can only see up 37 comments when it says there are 49. Am I missing something like a “next page button?” I really don’t see one.

It’s because some of the comments are attached to others, like this one I’m writing now is “39.1″ but in the total comment count, it tallies up. Does that make sense?

Ann says:

Some may think I “ruin” the cookies by what I do, but my family still appreciates them and I feel much better about making these cookies for them when I divide the shortening/butter by one-third and substituting an equal measure of applesauce and non-fat yogurt. I measure out generous measurements of the applesauce and yogurt and drain it by spreading it out on a dinner plate lined with 4 layers of paper towels. For anyone who feel they too must watch fat intake, this makes an acceptable product for my family.

Tracy Lawson says:

I love nice chewy snickerdoodles – they’re just simply awesome! Thanks for the post!

Christie says:

What a sweet man! I also DREAD taking all (two) of my girls to the grocery store. Your story made me tear up which is not a bad thing :) can I ask where you found the adorable glad bottles you have the milk in??
    Thanks in advance!
    Christie

Laura says:

Thank you, Thank you!! I was actually looking for a good Snickerdoodle recipe last month and hoped you had one. Was sad that one was not posted earlier! Can’t wait to try this :) Also, I too appreciate those who go out of their way to help others. That story made me feel good inside. (I’ll eat a cookie to that!)

bekah says:

mmm. LOVE snickerdoodles. Where did you get the cute milk glasses? I’m sure you’ve said before, seems like I’ve seen them other places… maybe it was here in other posts? Just LOVE them.

Thanks.

Melissa says:

PINNED! Because I WILL be making these cookies very soon!

Jamie says:

Thank you THANK YOU for posting a chewy snickerdoodle recipe. I’m a super fan of a good snickerdoodle, NOT the sugar cookie wannabees, and I too like ‘em chewy. You rock, Sara!

Gina says:

Just made these. They were awesome. Now if I could give them all away so I don’t eat them myself.
    YUM!

Diane says:

You made me laugh and cry! You guys are great. Cookies look delish. And I didn’t know that about cream of tartar, even though I use it. I can’t remember if it’s in my Snickerdoodle recipe or not. These look better, though!

Mel says:

I just have to say. I have been making snickerdoodle’s for forever and I tried it this way to today and I was pleased. I was at the TOW in Layton and was so impressed with the two of you. I absolutely love to cook so finding the website has been gold for me

Nisey says:

I was wondering if you could tell us where you get the little milk jugs. They are adorable. I must try out your recipe. Last time I made these, they were puffy and I didn’t much care for them. Thanks so much.

Nisey says:

I also forgot to ask this….I only have a Bosch. Will most or all recipes work in that or must I have TWO mixers?

Bosch’s work great! I have both and have found that they work especially well for recipes with large amount of dough. For smaller ones, I usually get out my KitchenAid.

Nina says:

That story reminded me when I went to the grocery store one day. My son was at that stage where he only wanted to be held by me and refused to sit in the cart. I asked this woman if she could pick out a cucumber for me and put it in my basket since I didn’t have any hands. She did! I love small acts of kindness even if you have to ask for it.

Kim says:

After hubby was called to bring home all-purpose flour (we were out) and then made a second trip to the store after supper for the notorious CRISCO!! , we now have a lovely batch of snickerdoodles in the oven, making our home smell scrumptious! Can’t wait to devour them with the family!! Thanks for posting this recipe.

Shayla says:

Thanks for the great recipe and directions. I just made these and they are great! I loved your Q&A section too, lol!

Jaan says:

YEAH! S.N.I.C.K.E.R.D.O.O.D.L.E.S.!! I don’t care whats in them or how they are made, I JUST want to EAT THEM! Wish they were calorie free, then it would easier to enjoy them. TAKE CARE!

Briana says:

I love your website and cookbook! I use your recipes weekly and they always turn out great. I come from a cooking family, my dad owned a restaurant, my sister has her own cookbook and my soon to be brother in law is was a world renowned chef at the waldorf astoria in nyc. We all love to cook and do it daily! We are big believers in butter and not shortening. I always substitute butter for shortening and actually if I see shortening in the recipe I usually move on to a different recipe. I always laugh when the recipe says it has to have shortening and that it won’t work without it. I have never had a problem. I made these cookies today with butter and no shortening and they were perfect, just so you know it can be done. Still chewy on the inside and no flatter than your picture. I am really not trying to be a brat so I hope you don’t take this the wrong way. I just think shortening had its place 50 years ago and should not even be sold now. I believe in quality ingredients and I am honestly turned off by recipes that call for shortening or margarine because I feel really good cooks also believe in quality ingredients. I still proudly display your cookbook on my counter and love your blog but I think you are both better than shortening cooks!

Oh, it can always be done- there’s no question there! We just like to communicate that when we call for certain ingredients, it’s for a reason, ya know? No cookie is going to taste bad with butter! These particular ones just have a better texture with some shortening.

• Briana says:

Well they are delicious cookies. They are going in the freezer so I don’t eat anymore. I am up nursing my baby right now and they are so tempting. I am going to try to save them for my daughters lunches. Another great recipe! Thanks!! By the way my sister and I make the French dip out of your cookbook way too much!!

Mhairi says:

I have never tried Snickerdoodles but the idea of rolling biscuits in cinnamon before cooking makes me want to try them. So I read the recipe and was thinking “I wonder what shortening is – I must google that once I have finished reading this post”. Nearing the end of this post I nearly choked on my coffee when you suggested google for unknown items. I thought that was a given!!!!
    Thanks for a great post and hopefully a doable recipe.

Mhairi says:

Highlight shortening, right click, search google, left click on wikipedia link, find answer – “while in Australia, Copha is popular”
      Total time 2 minutes.
      Off to buy some Copha to make biscuits.
      THANKS for the recipe.

Micaela says:

TRUE STORY!!! Last night I was having a special GNO with my two young daughters watching Once Upon a Time. We decided that we needed a treat so I opened up my Best Bites cookbook to let my girls pick out a goody. They both wanted the Snickerdoodle Icecream. I didn’t have the ingredients for it but thought *SERIOUSLY* “man, I wish those cute girls would give us the recipe to those yummy snickerdoodles in the picture! Those are EXACTLY what I want right now..” We opted for your kettle corn and your lemonade…. YUM! But then you go and give me your recipe?! I’m going to go ahead and just let everyone else tell me Thank You because this recipe was given out today because of me!! :) Really, though, thank you so much! Going out to buy the irreplaceable Cream of Tartar tomorrow :)

Sarah says:

I appreciated your defense of cream of tartar. I agree that it is what makes snickerdoodles amazing. In fact, that tangy flavor it adds is what makes them SO addicting. I had to stop making them because I will eat the entire batch by myself! The recipe that I’ve been using calls for 1 c. shortening. So sometime when I’m feeling in the mood to binge, I’ll have to try your version with butter. :-)

Amber G. says:

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It’s such a nice thing to hear that there are still nice helpful people in this world!

Kiersten says:

You’re making my mouth water. And I love that story! I always get people telling me what a bad mom I am in those situations (and it has happened a number of times), instead of being helpful. I’m glad there are some kind people around still.

Julie says:

I made these cookies last night. One word…AMAZING! These were the most perfectly shaped cookies I have ever made. And they were delicious. A hit with my family. Thank you for posting the recipe.

Carrie says:

Whoa…way to go on this one! I just made them and YUM! Thank you! You converted me to a Snickerdoodle lover.

Marla says:

Oh Sara! You always make me smile! Thanks for your great story and sarcastic wit with the Q&A. I love it! Love the cookies too. :)

Melody says:

Loved the story and the recipe! I’ve never gone crazy over snickerdoodles like some people, and I think it’s because they always have a cakey texture. But chewy is definitely going to be better.

Speaking of cookies, my friend introduced me to something I think you two will love: Speculoos, a.k.a. Cookie Butter. Have you tried it?? Words aren’t sufficient. I’ve only had Trader Joe’s brand, but I’m sure it’s available online. It’s good enough to just eat with a spoon, but I bet you two could think of some even tastier ways to devour it.

Jennifer G. says:

Just made these snickerdoodles and they came out great. Just the right amount of chew. They are now packaged and on their way to my son who is out in his first week in the mission field. Hope he and his comp like them too. I was thinking the shortening would keep them chewier longer than an all butter cookie.

Sarah says:

Oh wow, those are good. I just finished making them. Mmmm.

Laura says:

My biggest complaint about snickerdoodles has been the “eggy” taste and, sometimes, smell of them. I haven’t made snickerdoodles for years because of this. Please tell me this is not a problem for this particular recipe!!

Jaqi says:

I love snickerdoodles ! One of my favorite cookies and love your story. A suggestion for when you feel the need to repay a kindness and don’t know who to repay.. try taking some of your scrumptious goodies to the police station or fire station. They’d love to have them, and they love to be thanked for their thankless jobs. I dropped 6 dozen cupcakes by the police station the other day and they were thrilled.

Brooke says:

Oh it’s like you guys KNOW me or something. I’ve been looking for the “perfect” snickerdoodle recipe for a while and I was blown away at how many I found without cream of tartar! How dare they! This is really similar to my mom’s that I always use but your step by step directions helped the process a lot. These are the best snickerdoodles I’ve ever made and I’ve made a lot! Thank you!

Tish says:

So weird that you did this post on Monday. Sunday I was watching something on TV and in the show a person made a reference to being a stay at home mom and wanting to do things like make snickerdoodle cookies. It then occured to me that I don’t even know how to make them. I then started to feel guilty because I don’t know how to make them and feel like my kids are missing out on life and what a horrible mom I am. Monday morning I went to your blog to do a search and the first post was this recipe. I did not even have to do a recipe search. So thank you for making me feel like a good mom because know I can make snickerdoodle’s for my kids.

meredith says:

The cookies are cooling now … they just might be the most beautiful cookies I’ve ever made! Exactly the kind you want to give away :-)

Trish says:

These cookies looked so great and your commentary was so fantastic that I ended up making and eating these cookies, twice, in one day!!! I made one batch with a friend and fellow follower of your blog in the afternoon and ended up coming home and making them for dessert for company that evening for dinner!!! They were perfect in flavor, texture and presentation. We devoured them,so I might have to make another batch tonight and actually put some in the cookie jar! :)

Anna says:

You have awesome timing! My husband’s birthday was yesterday and as soon as I saw this post on Monday I knew I needed to get to the store to buy cream of tartar! My hubs is the cookie monster and loves snickerdoodles, so this was the perfect birthday treat for him. This recipe turned out great. I can’t wait to bake up more tonight with the leftover dough!

Sandra Nelson says:

Help…what did I do wrong? I followed your Snickerdoodle instructions exactly and made no changes. The cookies puffed up towards the end of the cooking time and then before the timer went off, they flattened down before I even took them out of the oven. Then they flattened and spread even more after that. The cracks on top are barely visible because they spread out so flat. They don’t look anything like your photos do. I don’t know what I could have done wrong. Do you have any ideas?

I really can’t tell ya Sandra, but perhaps you made a mistake and didn’t realize it? Maybe try again!

Owned by a Westie says:

Sandra, I had that same thing happen to me on 2 different tried-and-true cookie recipes and was so frustrated until I discovered that my box of baking soda needed to be replaced with a fresh one. (Who knew…and who keeps track??) If you put about a 1/4 tsp. of soda into some water/vinegar mixture (around 1/2 cup of very hot water with a splash of vinegar mixed in) and you don’t get a nice fizzing action, the soda has lost it’s potency…careful with the comments! :) My mom shared this little tidbit with me – hope it helps!

Bonnie Meyer says:

I love Snickerdoodles but like them much better with Cinnamon Chips! Truly wonderful!!!

Renae says:

I LOVED your Q & A at the end. HILARIOUS! I noticed it didn’t necessarily “save” you though. hee hee

Ashlee Werner says:

Oh Dear! I never should have tried this recipe! These are my new favorite cookies! So delicious, and perfectly chewy.

Erin A. says:

oh my word. this is the perfect recipe. i’m in love. your pictures helped so much – really great post! thanks :)

MaryJ says:

These cookies are amazing!! Thank you for the tutorial. I always use cream of tarter, but usually not this much. LOVED IT!

pattycakes says:

I seriously love Snickerdoodles and have created my very own “lemon blueberry” snickerdoodles that are to die for! Thank you for your inspirational story of kindness in a grocery parking lot. There is much all can do once we lift our eyes to look around and see beyond ourselves.

Emily Feely says:

Hello!
    Thanks for posting! My late grandpa and I made snickerdoodles all the time when I was a kid and these hit the spot! Mine didn’t turn out as fluffy as yours and I’m not sure why? However I made a gluten free version for my husband and did 145 g of millet flour and 145g of potato starch & 2 tsp xanthan gum. Turned out fantastic! Amazing texture for any cookie Gf or not! Thanks for having a passion for snickerdoodles! I’ve converted other recipes and they have not turned out! Yours was fantastic!

Kit says:

These are awesome! My dh says this is a keeper recipe. I agree. I love the story too.

Erin says:

Yep, these are good! They have that nice depth of flavor that a real snickerdoodle has…I’m sorry, but recipes without the cream of tartar are just sugar cookies rolled in cinnamon. Yes, those are good, too, but they just don’t taste the same, curled on the couch with a big cup of coffee (or cocoa, for those of you who stay away from coffee around here) and your favorite book. These definitely hit the spot for me! They for sure spread out a LOT in the oven, just like you said, so I was glad I ignored the temptation to crowd them on the baking sheet or it would have been one huge doodle. Thanks for this one!

Heidi Hatch says:

Just wanted to tell you how much you brightened my day by reading your Q & A at the end of the recipe. It was hilarious! The parts about Crisco and googling conversions were my favorite. My day is good to end now with a hot yummy cookie and a cup of cold milk!

KatieJ says:

Loved the story- and the q&a and now you have me craving snickerdoodles! I love my recipe but may have to try this one!

kim says:

Haha. you make me laugh :)It’s very reassuring to know that there are still good people in this world!

Rebecca says:

Wow! These are perfect! Thank you for the excellent directions, especially when to take them out of the oven (I would have never taken them out when I did without your description of the centers still looking raw!). So delicious!

Rachel Q says:

Hi Sara, Thank you so much for sharing your story. I love hearing moments like those.

I hope I didn’t miss this in comments/other posts, but when you’re measuring your flour do you just scoop and level, or do you spoon the flour into the cup and then level? With your instruction to NOT add more flour I thought this might make a difference.

When you’re measuring flour, always spoon it lightly into measuring cups and then level. If you scoop, you’ll end up getting more flour than the recipe actually calls for.

Anne says:

Hi. I’ve made these for the people at my husbands work and they loved them so I want to make them for myself to taste them. The only thing is that I have a problem, you see I’m allergic to lactose so I have a problem with the butter. Why aren’t you supposed to use margarine? (you can buy margarine without lactose/milk, but not butter without lactose/milk).

Thank you.

Anne says:

NVM I re read the post and figured out your like my husband and his family, prefer the taste of butter as it actually tastes something in contrast to a lot of the margarine brands. And I know the only way to really figure it out is to try. ^^

Have a great day/weekend!

Anne, if you have an allergy, feel free to use a high quality margarine :)

Sue says:

I just finished making these and they came out perfectly!The edges were crisp and the center was so chewy. I’ve tried a few different snickerdoodle recipes and this recipe is definitely the best.

I loved your kindness story! I am a firm believer in angels! Ironically,I am making these cookies to repay an angel for an act of kindness she did for me this weekend. I asked a friend if she would make me a “few” cinnamon rolls for my son’s baptism. When I went to pick them up, she had made 48 of the most delicious, enormous cinnamon rolls you have ever seen (and I imagine you have seen some beauties!). My son suggested we make snickerdoodles to repay her. Since your blog it my “go to” first and foremost I came here looking for a better snickerdoodle recipe and of course found this one attached with your wonderful story! Thanks for both!

kristine says:

I recently made these cookies and they were a huge hit. Thank you so much! I truly loved them! I made several batches as a surprise for my family, husband’s family and a few others. A friend was driving back home and was willing to drop them off at each house. I think sometimes the best gifts are the ones that are totally unexpected!

Anyways, everyone absolutely adored them! The only thing is that several family members asked if I could make them smaller next time. This might be a silly question, and it might just show you how much of a “beginner” I am at baking but I rather just ask. If I were to half the size, do you think the cookies would still have the same wonderful chewy texture?

Not a silly question at all Kristine! You can definitely make them smaller- they should turn out just fine.

And then you can eat twice as many ;)

Bridget Sabo says:

As I am desperately searching for a truly chewy Snickerdoodle, I am excited to try this recipe. I was a little surprised that it does not include brown sugar, which I associate with increased chew generally. Any thoughts on dividing up the sugar between white and brown? And seriously on the cream of tartar – if there’s no cream of tartar, its not a snickerdoodle. We need a PSA…

It’s true brown sugar is associated with increased chew, but it also adds deep flavor, and in a Snickerdoodle, we’re not looking for a molasses flavor. The crisp, clean flavor or white sugar is best.

• Bridget Sabo says:

Thanks! Makes sense that white sugar is best for a classic snickerdoodle, but I might play around a bit on this one since I think the depth of a light brown sugar would match nicely with the cinnamon of a snickerdoodle. I’d never do 100% brown, but maybe a combo… I love the flexibility and tinkering of baking.

Katie Kamrath says:

I was half way through the recipe with my daughter and realized I didn’t have vegetable shortening. So I improvised and used 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil. They turned out great!

Anne Marie says:

Wow, these are the best snickerdoodles I have ever made! So so perfect. I almost never make large cookies, but I decided I would try the 2 Tbsp. of dough like it says in the recipe and I’m so glad I did! After 10 minutes of baking I wasn’t quite sure they were done, but I took them out anyway and they ended up being just right. Thanks for another go-to recipe!

Melanie says:

These were absolutely perfect and totally picturesque! I always seem to forget snickerdoodles exist, and when I do remember them, I don’t want them because I associate a dry, crumbly waste of calories with them. I am a changed woman. Thanks!

Erin says:

I told my husband yesterday I was making snickerdoodles, and he said, “Why would you do that? I hate snickerdoodles.” I just smiled. Later, after he had eaten four of them, I said, “I thought you hate snickerdoodles.” He said, “These can’t be snickerdoodles. They are WAY too good.”

Thank you for the excellent recipe!

Kylee says:

I usually am not that crazy over snicker doodles but these were amazing! One of my favorite cookies! Thanks, I love your blog:-)

Susanne says:

found this on Pinterest today and can.not.wait to make these. I am a snickerdoodle fan. My grandma always made them and they remind me of her. Will post back after I make them and let you know how mine turn(ed)out!

Margaret says:

My guys are big fans of thin crispy snickerdoodles, made with all shortening and cream of tartar. Mine come out light, not hard. BUT…They only work in dry weather. Too much humidity makes them soggy. In other words, crispy snickerdoodles can’t be baked in Texas summers. So I will be trying this recipe tonight. Thanks!

Debi says:

Your story at the beginning made me cry! I’ve so been there. What a sweet man. He will be blessed.

Now for the cookies – I’m heading to the kitchen right now ;)

Mary says:

My daughter is campaigning for snickerdoodles right now! Also wanted to share that if you have rust stains from the dryer you can boil water with cream of tartar and that will remove the stain (in a fabric that can take the temperature of course…. and be sure to not start a fire – but I saved 7 military uniform shirts with rusty points on the collar this way) – LOVE multi-use products.

Elise says:

Best cookies I’ve ever made! They came out perfect and everyone loves them! Thank you!!

Tonya says:

I just found this recipe, been craving snickerdoodles, never made them before. Made them today and OH MY GRACIOUS ALIVE…They are wonderful1!!!!

Sharon C. says:

I’ve had this link saved for a couple weeks and Thanks to a bout of insomnia, I finally made them at 6am this morning. They are FABULOUS! I’ve spent a good 7 years trying to find a snickerdoodle as good as the ones I used to buy at my favorite cookie shop that went out of business. This recipe knocks that cookie out of the water! Thanks for such a delicious & perfectly textured cookie.

Alyssa says:

I live in a high altitude, are there any adjustments to the recipe?

Amy says:

I just finished making these Snickerdoodle Cookies and have to say they are AWESOME! Definatley a keeper recipe…..Glad I ran across it! Thanks!

Jason Skidmore says:

I just made this recipe this week and I used Silpat mats instead of parchment. Was wondering if you’ve tried this recipe with those and if you noticed a difference. I didn’t have enough motivation to try one pan with each :P

Sarah says:

Just made these! I needed a taste of fall. I did one pan with 1 T. balls and topped with a pumpkin Kiss when they came out of the oven. Yum!

JenB says:

Oh my! I have embarked on what we’re calling “Snickerdoodlepalooza 2012: The search for the perfect chewy snickerdoodle recipe” I’ve worked my way through 4 recipes and you are on top by far! I used margarine (blue bonnet) and salted butter, omitted the table salt. Yes, I am going to have to hide half the cookies in the freezer, or I will eat them all. Thanks a bunch!

Ashley says:

This is a great recipe. I would call it fail-proof just because it made it through all my fails. Ha ha. I had my dough all mixed up and I read the part where it said… dough should be quite soft… mine was really stiff and crumbly. And then I realized I left out the eggs. *forehead smack. Added in the eggs and all was well. They still turned out fantastic. And I have a happy husband. :)

adrienne says:

a year later i finally got around to making these! and now i am sad i waited as long as i did… super easy, SUPER YUMMY!!!!!!!

Retnec58 says:

I made these just today and I will only be using this recipe from now on. I made some soft and some crunchy. Amazing!!’

Laura says:

LOVE this recipe!! My 16 old just came home to a great smelling house, and some tasty cookies. But, mainly I wanted to say that you totally cracked me up with your responses to some of the comments and suggestions for variations. Funny, funny lady! I like your spunky style…

Mmmm. I totally agree with you that snickerdoodle cookies taste best CHEWY. However, I also found a way to make cakey cookies (for those “crazies” who prefer their snickerdoodles cakey. Hehe. Jk.) from the SAME recipe (yay! I love shortcuts!) by baking at a lower temperature.

I explain more in depth here :)

Hali says:

I just recently got my Kitchen Aid Mixer and am now obsessed with baking! A co-worker gave me your site as you are her go-to for all things desserts, esp. cookies!

Snickerdoodles are in the oven, but I CAN’T/CAN eat all of them in one sitting… Does the dough freeze well? Does this go with all of your cookie dough?

The baked cookies freeze beautifully, and you could also freeze the dough, but I always think cookie dough tastes better when cooked from fresh. That’s just me though, you could experiment!

Jennifer Nguyen says:

Hi I just finished making these today, they taste great but the only problem was that it didn’t flatten out like yours I followed the recipe and directions but just wonder why my cookies didn’t flatten all the way like urs, is it because the butter wasn’t fully melted to room temp? Please let me know I love this recipe and would love to make these again:)

Yes, the butter temp could be the culprit- as could elevation, humidity, etc. Cookies are kind of tricky that way, but these ones usually come out every time for me. Next time try making sure your butter is the right temp and see if that helps!

Nicole Peck says:

So say someone made these tonight for a school program’s refreshments tomorrow and they were cooked for 10 minutes and still came out crunchy after they cooled off….how should someone adjust the time so that they come out soft and chewy?? Try 9 minutes, then 8?? I was disappointed that they’re crunchy, though the flavor is perfect, but my son informed me that he didn’t care that they’re crunchy. :D

Sounds like your oven might be a bit hot- you got it right, just decrease the baking time until they look just set around the edges.

Shayla says:

I made these last year on the day you posted this recipe, and then again this weekend as refreshments for a piano recital, and again today as a welcome for some new neighbors. Perfect every time. Thanks again for a great recipe. When I go to the internet looking for a good recipe, I often just google “our best bites dip” or “our best bites marinade” “our best bites chocolate chip cookies” etc. You gals are just that good!

Julia says:

these are delicious! I like them so much more than the fluffy kind, though those are still good. The only downside to these is that they’re too big to sneak them up to my bedroom to snack on! Haha. Your guys’ posts always make me laugh. Thanks Sara and Kate!

Bethany says:

Hey! I so very rarely comment on things unless it’s worth my time, but let me tell you, this is so VERY worth my time.
    I came across this recipe a while back, probably around December, because I wanted something warm and cozy to eat while I watched Up(best movie ever?), and so I made them. What I am getting at is that these cookies always come out different. They are fantastic every time though.. Especially a few weeks ago when my boyfriend and I made them in the quickest 45 minutes ever, literally crunch time, they were the best batch ever.
    Okay, best part coming up– So every year my school does a cooking competition with the different world language clubs. There are three different categories: appetizer, entree, and dessert. My German club didn’t win, but we did win the dessert category with this lovely recipe. We served them with lightly sweetened cream.
    I really love how quick these are, and I seriously never get tired of the taste.

Definitely a favorite recipe. I’m saving this one to make when I’ve got a family someday(not that I don’t have a family now, but you know what I mean).

Sorry, I ramble. Part of why I tend not to comment.

Great recipe, thank you dearly for sharing, you are a magnificent human being who has made a huge impact on my life.

Beth D. says:

I just want to tell you that I am AGAIN making these before dinner! They are that good! This time I made mini silver-dollar sized ones so I don’t feel so bad about eating them. Thanks! :)

Lexi D. says:

Truly the best snickerdoodle I have ever eaten. New family favorite. Came out perfectly – thank you!

Dani L. says:

Unfortunately, I am usually short on ingredients for whatever I’m in the mood to cook. But this time, all I’m missing is shortening!! I’m following someone else’s advice and chilling the dough before I bake it to stop it from spreading so much, it’s all pre-rolled and sitting in my fridge right now. Hopefully it works!

melli says:

Really yummy! The cream of tartar made a huge difference. I’m happy I found a chewy cookie recipe that followed through especially in my crappy old oven.
    I will be making these forever! Thanks!

Cathie C. says:

Sara, I did not have shortening so I went ahead and used 2 sticks of butter. Because u said they may turn out hard I used a little trick that I had learned with making chocolate chip cookies. Instead of putting the baking sofa in with dry ingredients I mixed the 1 tsp. baking soda with 2 tsp. hot tap water until the baking soda is dissolved. Then mixed it in with the wet ingredients. The cookies came out fantastic!

tammigirl says:

I know I’m a girl and I’m already blissfully married, but I still feel the need to marry you so you can make me these cookies! :)

Thanks for the cream of tartar lesson. I have always used it without knowing a thing about it.

Monica says:

Made them. And loved them. Thanks!!

heather says:

High altitude? Any change in the recipe? My mom tried to make some snickerdoodles yesterday with my son and they turned out kind of hard but didn’t spread… Any advice on what went wrong so I can send my mom some good snickerdoodles? Gotta out do grandma ya know.

Jordann says:

These were by far the best cookies I have ever had! But I’m curious with the holidays coming… Do you think there’s anyways I could make them into Pumpkin Snickerdoodles?

I recommend subbing pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon- I would not recommend adding pumpkin puree, it will drastically change the texture of the cookie and turn it cakey.

Tammy says:

I made these cookies tonight for a cookie swap party, they were delicious. I don’t know if there will be any left for the party. Will probably have to make another couple batches Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Laurel Tietze says:

This IS the Snickerdoodle I hadn’t been able to replicate from my childhood.
    Exactly as pictured – really delicious. Funny how just tiny differences make such a difference. Thank you.

Tania says:

I am going to a cookie exchange and want to bake these. But the host is askign for 7 dozen cookies!! Do you think the cookies will turn out if I make them smaller to try to get 7 dozen out of 2 batches? I am assuming I should shorten the cooking time by a couple of minutes. I just don’t want them to turn out overly crispy. Or should I multiply the recipe?

liz kane says:

I just made these for our PTA’s Literacy Night Bake Sale. I used 1/2 cup unsalted butter and 1/2 cup coconut oil. Plus I made them into gigantic cookies (4-5″)across because I don’t always want to spend all my time putting cookie sheets in and out of the oven. The recipe made 12 gigantic cookies and one regular sized cookie for product control consumption-YUM.

Kylee Horrocks says:

Sara, so these are the most amazing cookies ever and I was wondering if you could make them into snickerdoodle bars like Kate did with your sugar cookie recipe?

Angela says: