So we’re I’m kind of flip-flopping my posts here–this recipe really belongs back in January with all the healthy recipes and Monday’s French Toast really belongs here today because, let’s face it, legumes tossed in garlic are not the most romantic little things in the world, no matter how tasty they are.

Sara and I are flying to Utah and back this weekend, so we might be a little slow responding to emails and questions. Well…slow-er. I’ve also found that in the past few weeks, crowds and pants make me grumpy, so, in an effort to prevent me from saying things I might regret, I’m bringing lots of healthy snacks with me, lest I find myself foodless, trapped next to crazy people (I seem to have unbelievable luck in very often sitting next to weirdos on airplanes) in a pair of uncomfortable pants. The very idea of it makes me feel like I need a few deep cleansing breaths. Or a Xanax. Neither of which I can really take right now.

I adapted this recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking. I also had to hide the leftovers because I was afraid I was going to eat them all at once. They are crispy, crunchy, salty, a tiny bit spicy, and a perfect little snack that is almost guilt-free.

You’ll need some extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, and a 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans. Someday I’ll teach you guys a song all about garbanzo beans. I know y’all can’t wait. Is it weird that that and the Irish folk song about a girl who murders her entire family are the two songs I remember most from my childhood?

I just got pictures of the spices because they were prettier. Sorry about that.

Preheat your oven to 400. Rinse and drain your garbanzo beans and pat dry. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the spices and olive oil.

Toss the chickpeas in the spices…

and spread the seasoned chickpeas onto a lined baking sheet.

Place the pan in the oven and roast the chickpeas for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and use a spatula to gently toss/turn/mix up the chickpeas. Place it back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes. You don’t want them to be burned, but they should be browning and crispy. Allow the chickpeas to cool and then snack immediately.

Pin It

Patti says:

I can hardly wait for you to teach us the song. Oh, and I can hardly wait to see you and Sara! Tomorrow is Saturday! But, I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled in case I spot you there tonight. Are you coming tonight?

Probably not. :( We need to go over our presentation together, or else we’d totally be there. If you want, we can learn the song about the girl who murders her family. Just for you. :)

• Patti says:

I think you should start off the presentation with a sing-along. See you tomorrow! Oh, and go take a nap. I saw the time stamp of your replies. You need a nap.

missyblurkit says:

a brilliant and healthy snack that can be done in such a short time. this certainly gives chickpeas a new taste and look compared to my usual steam with a little bit of salt.

Thesha says:

I never would have thought to do this, I’ve got to give it a try! Have fun in Utah, wish we could be there with you.

Ellie says:

This sounds like a fantastic little snack. I’m totally going to buy chick peas today. Do you have a favorite brand?

Kari says:

Hello!
    First of all I’d like to say that I have been reading you gals for about 2 years, but NEVER have left a post. So, here I go…
    1)LOVE, LOVE, LOVE !!!! you Gals! you always make me smile, laugh out loud, drool and spark my own creative cooking. Thank you!
    2) Congrats on the little peanut you have baking there! I remember I came up with a song when I was pregnant with my first. think of the refrain of “Dancing Queen” here by ABBA….
    I am round and mean, can’t fit into my jeans…I’m the pregnant queen!…OOOOHHH OOH OHH, OOOH OH OH OOOOH OH!!!!
    3) An actual question on the post! ;-) I’m trying to limit my salt…so, do you NEED to put salt on these?…and, if you DO,can I put just a smaller amount of table vs. Kosher? What are your thoughts on cooking some bagged ones so there isn’t the salt from the canning process and then using the salt? I’m really wondering on the Kosher salt…never used it before so what is the difference between it and table?
    Thank you again for all the hard work you do and bringing such joy to my life every Mon/Wed/Fri…I could read you every day….but I guess the anticipation makes it all the more fun eh?

Than you for your sweet, funny words! :) As far as salt goes, you can always leave it out and then, if you want, salt (or not salt) to taste after they’re done roasting. The salt doesn’t really do anything but add some flavor, so you’ll be fine using bagged chickpeas or leaving out the salt.

When you use table salt, you want to use less because the grains are smaller, so you get more salt.

One thought I had was that you could add some lime juice–it would give you the zip from the salt minus the sodium.

Hope I answered all your questions! :)

Missy says:

Yay! I am making these TODAY! I can’t wait. I am trying really hard to eat healthy and add more protein to my diet, but I am a serious snacker. These are exactly what I need. Perfect! :)

Carly says:

I follow you on pinterest and saw these on your food board. I made them Tuesday night and had to stop myself, and my 2 year old, from eating the whole batch! We should have just been glutinous and finished them. They were better out of the oven than they were the next day. :). Is it socially acceptable for me to eat a whole can of beans?????

Marcie Jones says:

Oh Kate! I’m going to make these RIGHT NOW! “Lizzy Borden took an ax……”

Tracy says:

I am not a huge chickpea fan but I have been making a recipe very similar to this with a variety of canned beans. I think they stay a little more soft in the middle depending on the size of the bean but I love them and keep many cans of beans on hand for when the need strikes!

Owned by a Westie says:

I’m definitely going to try this asap! My husband loves chickpeas (garbanzo beans, whatever) AND he’s trying to lose some weight which means no snacking on chips, etc. These look delicious and I think they’re going to be a great substitute snack that will be a healthier alternative. Thanks for posting!

Bonnie says:

What are you guys doing in Utah? Some sort of presentation? Is it open to public? (or fans :0) I just moved back to Utah, so it would be fun to finally meet you guys if you are doing cooking presentations, future book signings, etc :0)

Valerie says:

I must make these! I love chickpeas. Maybe a healthierish Super Bowl snack? ;)

Renee Hazlewood says:

So these are just ok on their own. But added to a salad in place of croutons…AMAZING!

Hollie says:

I saw this recipe on another website and bought two cans of chickpeas, but still haven’t tried the recipe. I’ve read that it’s better to cook them first and then put the seasoning on without the olive oil since the olive oil will make them less crunchy.

Shelley says:

I added a little extra spice to mine and love them!!! What a yummy and healthy snack!

Aryn says:

“sing rickety tickety tin, she set her sister’s hair on fire and as the flames grew higher and higher….” I won’t mention the irish stew part. I know it’s a totally morbid song too but it’s a song I remember from my childhood too. So funny that you know it too, I thought my family was the only stranges ones with this song as a memory. But back to food- Looks great! I think I’ll try it this weekend

I have these in the oven. In your first paragraph you mention garlic but in the recipe there is no garlic. Were you talking about a different recipe? Also, I didn’t have any cayenne pepper so used red pepper flakes. I hope it turns out! Thanks for the great recipes!

I see now you added the garlic! Darn it I wish I had put it in! I’m chewing on some right now and are yummy but would be even better with garlic! And the red pepper flakes are awesome!

Oh, I love the sound of this recipe!!! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Hey Garbanzo, where you bean????

Brenda says:

…and if you did not enjoy my song, you’ve yourselves to blame if it’s too looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong–you should never have let me begin, begin, you should never have let me begin!

I still perform that song occasionally around the campfire.
    I love your blog and the cookbook, keep up the great work!

Laura says:

I love chick peas and this looks like a great way to eat them! Oh and I don’t like to travel when I am pregnant either…all the smells and such.

Melanie says:

Yum! Do these need to be refrigerated or can they be left at room temp? I am guessing they are better warm…

Jenny says:

What do you cover the baking sheet with? Foil? What would happen if you don’t cover? I really want to try these! Thanks!

Nancy says:

Thank you so much for your fabulous presentation at Time Out for Women today. You both were amazing and I felt so lucky to be there. Thank you for being such wonderful examples as moms, daughters and bloggers! Hope you’ll present again next year so I can bring my sisters!

Melissa says:

How do I follow you on Pinterest? I can only figure out how to follow my Facebook friends.

Debra says:

I can not wait to make this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing

Karen Kuilboer says:

These are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YUMMY!!! My husband didn’t even protest when I gave him these to him for his Super Bowl snack. He’s addicted to them! :) Thanks again for yet another great recipe!

I can’t wait to try these! It looks like a simple snack, and something I would love to introduce to my family. The trick might be to not eat the entire batch myself!!

Kelsey says:

Yesssssssssssss. I need these tonight. So pumped!!!

Jennie says:

As a longtime vegetarian, I have been down the roasted/crunchy chickpeas road before. And I was never impressed. Until today when I made these….They were most assuredly the best version I have made! My 6 year old stood next to me at the table and popped them like they were candy.

sharleen says:

FYI: These beans definitely still taste like Garbanzo beans. It tastes pretty legume-y and healthy.
    We have absolutely loved so many recipes from this site, but this recipe was pretty mediocre. I wish that people weren’t afraid to leave more critical comments – the sort that would’ve steered me away from this recipe. Hope this helps those who are on the fence about making this recipe. BTW, the garlic cheese rolls are heavenly – they’ve changed my life (and my figure!). :)

Um, of course they taste like Garbanzo beans? That is what they are.

And I don’t think people are afraid of leaving negative comments, just either a) no one had anything negative to say after trying the recipe or b) no one with something negative to say felt like saying. I doubt anyone is afraid that Kate or Sara will come after them! lol

Kim says:

I followed this recipe to the T, but some of them are so hard it feels like I’m going to chip a tooth! I used dry beans from a bag instead of canned, does that make a difference?

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you didn’t crack all your teeth, girl! Canned beans for sure, for a few reasons. First, because you’ll break your teeth if you use dried beans, and also because dried beans can really upset your stomach.

• Kim says:

Thanks! I’m going to have to try this recipe again with canned beans. I’m sure they will taste much better!!!

Owned by a Westie says:

My husband & I loved the taste of these (even though I completely missed the garlic powder), but a LOT of mine exploded like popcorn in the oven while roasting…I mean we’re talkin’ 4th of July fireworks in the oven! :) I started out with the temp @ 400 and turned it down after the first few explosions. Any guess as to what I did wrong? (It WAS very entertaining to my dog, however! :)

TeriAnn says:

These are great on salad. Salad with marinated chicken and a homemade lemon garlic dressing – yum!

Whit Whit says:

I’ve tried to make these three separate times, and can’t seem to get the texture right. They just don’t get good and crispy…they either stay mealy or just burn. What am I doing wrong?

Ava says:

LOVE THESE! I was scared but they are really really good!!

Shannon says:

I am addicted to these!! They are amazing right out of the oven!

Celeste says:

I normally do not care for chickpeas, but the flavor of these was terrific !! I made these just as you directed using canned beans, but mine did turn out quite hard, as in “break a tooth” hard. Is this the way they are supposed to be? Or did I overcook them? Love your blog !!