Posted in Cookies, Sara, Tropical

Kate and I are in sunny Orlando right now, so I thought a little taste of the tropics would be appropriate today!  White chocolate macadamia nut cookies are one of my favorites and I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect recipe for a long time now.  I recently saw a photo on our friend Tessa’s blog that caught my eye; they looked so amazing.  I was about to make them, but the moment I saw the recipe I realized that I already knew it.  In fact I had it memorized- it was the dough from my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies (duh, why didn’t I start there a long time ago?!)  So I started out planning to just toss in some white chips and macadamia nuts but decided to take it a different direction when I saw the limes on my counter.  And now?  I might have a new favorite cookie.

Let’s bake.

One of the things I love about these cookies is that you don’t have to worry about softening butter, just nuke it!  But make sure you don’t rush things and stir it in hot- if you do, your dough will be really soft and you’ll wonder what’s wrong, and then you’ll think it needs more flour, so you’ll add some, and then you’ll complain my recipe sucks, and I’ll tell you it doesn’t and it’s actually your fault and then we’ll have to bake each other cookies to make up.  You get the picture, right?  Cool the butter down.

Combine some brown and white sugars

and then pour in your melted butter and stir it up.  Nice and gooey…make sure to at least stick your finger in there once.  Twice if no one is looking.

Add one whole egg and one egg yolk plus a giant splash of vanilla.

And after those are mixed in, stir in the dry ingredients.

Now come the secret ingredients- first, macadamia nuts.  I toast them to bring out the flavor and enhance the texture.  Just pop them in the oven you’ve already preheated and let them cook until they’re golden brown.  You can see toasted nuts below on the left, and untoasted on the right:

Generally I just toss coconut in my cookies, but I decided since I was already toasting, may as well toast the coconut.  You can do it either way; I think un-toasted adds a little more chew, and toasted adds texture.

And then finally, some fresh lime zest.  I happen to looooove lime zest so I put quite a bit in.  Feel free to play around with that, but at least add a nice big tablespoon or you won’t taste much of it.  I used at least 1 1/2 tablespoons.

Toss all that fun stuff in the dough along with some white chocolate chips.

Scoop the dough balls onto parchment lined cookie sheets and pop them in the oven.

Make sure you keep an eye on these cookies so you don’t overbake them.  The edges should be set, and the centers puffed up, but the middles should look a little undercooked still.  Let them cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer them to a cooling rack.

Funny- I just noticed I used a zested lime in my photo.  You’d think I would have noticed that.  I was probably too busy trying not to eat the cookies I was supposed to be photographing.

Anyway… you get creamy chocolate, buttery macadamia nuts, sweet and tangy citrus, and a little crunchy coconut chew- all in one bite.  They’re divine.

Enjoy a little piece of heaven.

Nicole Peck says:

Holy cow! I love you!! I have been eating a tub of fundraiser white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie dough for the past couple days. When it finally runs out, I can instead make these yummilicious things!!! Yeah!!!

This looks delicious and refreshing! :)

These cookies look amazing and sound perfect for beautiful spring-like weather. I cannot wait to try them.

Andrea says:

Oh my gosh, are you serious? These look SO amazing. Thanks!

Liz says:

I am so excited about these! I will for sure be making these this weekend. I love white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and I’ve tried to make them on several occasions, but the recipes never have quite the right flavor I’m looking for. You two always seem to have just what I’m looking for! You guys are the best! Enjoy Orlando :)

Kim Hansen says:

I can’t wait to make these. These are my ABSOLUTE favorite cookie-and the bonus–my kids don’t like macadamia nuts. I will definetly have to hide these from myself. Thanks so much!!

12 tablespoon of butter? can you give that in some other measure please? grams? ounces? thanks!

Terri Lynn says:

I love the tropical twist to an already delicious cookie. The creativity of the two of you never ceases to amaze me. I may have discovered your cookbook before my daughter, Vendy, but I’m so glad she told me about your wonderful place here!

Terri Lynn says:

Alejandro Ispani, 12 tablespoons of butter is one and a half sticks or 3/4 cup. Hope that helps.

Leslie says:

Ohhh! You are speakin’ my language! LIMES…COCONUT!! Those are two of my favorite things on Earth! Thanks!

Theresa says:

WOW! I might have a new favorite cookie too!

White chocolate macadamia nut cookies are my ALL TIME favorite. These look phenomenal! I will have to try them.

Regan Martin says:

These look and sound amazing! I love lime! And coconut! And all that other cookie goodness, too! Thanks!

Dresden says:

Do you have a tutorial or instructions on how to toast coconut? I’ve never done it before but I agree, it seems like it would add so much to the cookies!!

Loni says:

Wow, these look amazing. How ingenious you are! I have to limit myself to baking only once a week (usually on the weekend) because I will eat way too much of whatever I make. These may very well be this weekend’s treat. Thanks!

Penny says:

Just had to let you gals know how much I love your blog! I hadn’t stumbled across it until my mother-in-law gave me your cookbook for Christmas. I can honestly say that I haven’t made anything that I didn’t find there or on the site since January. Teeny-bit obsessed. Cookies with lime-zest? Wouldn’t have tried it if I didn’t know you can be trusted. But of course they were delicious. :)

Caroline says:

I just used coconut oil for the first time last time I made chocolate chip cookies, I bet it would be great here too subbed for the butter or part of the butter. Keeps the cookies nice and chewy even after they cool.

These sound so good – I just wish I was a bigger fan of white chocolate macadamia nut cookies! Maybe if I chopped up the nuts…. And it’s not even that I don’t like macadamia nuts! The combination has just never been a favorite. I’ll have to think about a little tweak because the fresh lime zest and toasted coconut in it sounds divine! Have fun in Florida! :)

Jessica says:

I am usually not a white chocolate/macadamia nut kind of girl, but for some reason this recipe has haunted me all morning! I finally broke down and went to the store to buy ingredients, which is SO not me to be such an impulse baker. Anyway, I am cooking them right now, and between the toasted macadamias, toasted coconut, and lime zest my house smells A.MAZ.ING! I can’t wait to try these! Anyway, thanks for a delicious recipe!

Kim Lasniewski says:

OK…so like everything else you ladies do – these look FABULOUS!! Keep it up!!

Owned by a Westie says:

These look delicious – I am most definitely giving these a try this weekend! Spring is just beginning to arrive here and what better way to celebrate than white chocolate, coconut and lime?? (I can’t believe I just said that…me being a die-hard dark chocolate girl and all. An Easter miracle perhaps?) :)

Helen H. says:

Welcome to Orlando. In the 80s here. Enjoy your time. I’ll be baking your cookies while you’re being a tourist!

OH MAN!!! I think adding the lime zest is brilliant! My favorite cookies just got better. :)

Brenda says:

My new sunday cookie recipe this week! YAY!! Can’t wait to see you saturday morning at Time Out For Women!!!

tammy d says:

I now want to go to town so I can get the stuff to make these, they look and sound great!

Erin says:

I bet the lime really makes these taste fresh and ready for summer!

Emily E says:

Oh, I want these right NOW!

Auntiepatch says:

Oh, no! It’s 87 degrees here in San Diego; too hot to be baking. You’re killing me! I will be trying these when it cools down a little!

Elizabeth says:

I love macadamia nut cookies!

Patti says:

Guess what song is bouncing around in my head now?
    “She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up
    She put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up…”

Perhaps this cookie could relieve her belly ache. Ah, you’re probably too young to even know this song.
    Have a great time with your presentation tomorrow! You’ll do grrrrreat!

linn says:

YUMMY! Can hardly wait to try these tomorrow. thanks for another great new recipe :)

I am very thank you to share this recipe,it’s very good,I hope you can share more,and I will continue to read,thanks!

Angela says:

Haha! The post above about the Lime in the Coconut song… I haven’t heard that in years. I youtubed it and played it while I mixed up a batch on this warm spring day. So much fun! And they are delicious, Sara! I have always loved cooking, but this blog has taken me to new levels. Thank you!

Kimberley says:

How did you know I was looking for a cookie recipe to use with the coconut flakes in my fridge, and that I had just bought limes…?! Our Best Bites, sometimes you scare me ;-)

Missy says:

I love my daughters lime coconut hand lotion and wish I could lick my hands and taste it. I’m pretty sure these will taste a whole lot better!! Thanks! :)

Krista says:

you should have called it “you put the lime in the coconut…” cookies.

sharleen says:

Brilliant! The pictures are AMAZING! Thanks for all the great recipes!

Ruth says:

I love your writing style! (your recipes too, of course) but I think you have a great sense of humor! Looking forward to making these cookies soon! :)

Ashley says:

Just made these and they’re delicious! I actually squeezed lime juice into the liquids portion and it really brings out the lime flavour. very happy!

Lissa says:

I’ve been making a version of these starting with a Bisquick base, so I’ll have to try your base instead because I’ve been wanting to not have to use Bisquick. They are my absolute favorite cookie, especially for Spring and Summer and I’ve got my whole family hooked too. I’ve never had someone not LOVE them. :)

Tejashree says:

Hey, this was my first attempt at trying my hand at baking and I think I chose the correct recipe to begin with. The cookies turned out quite nice. Thank you for sharing an amazing recipe. Looking forward to many more such yummy recipes :)

Don’t hate me because I just got back from Maui. I packed with me the rest of the bag of Mac nuts we didn’t eat on our bananna mac nut pancakes. This will be the PERFECT way to enjoy the rest of the bag. Hawaii in the winter is FABULOUS in case you were wondering.

I think I just died and went to heaven.

I am so tempted to try this and even picked up a lime ready but i keep thinking ‘What if i don’t like them’ i love citrus and have the white choc chips although i don’t have macadamia nuts and have no idea if i like them but i do have some mixed chopped nuts, will that work the same? Shall i leave the nuts out or will that spoil it???? Oh decision decisions????

I can only guarantee their deliciousness if you make them as the recipe states, and if you actually like all of the ingredients involved! So you’ll just have to try them out and see I guess :)

Haley Oakes says:

Love this recipe! Do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut?

Tiffany says:

Just made these and they are SCRUMPTIOUS!!!! My family is loving that I’m hooked on your recipes, not to mention my husband’s Sunday school class! Thanks for the amazingness :)

Nicholle says:

Made these today! Wow! White chocolate Macadamia nut cookies have always been a favorite. The lime zest makes them AMAZING!!

Anne says:

I am sooo excited to make these. Question, though… I looked at all three varieties of white chips at Wallyworld today and none of them had any cocoa butter in them. Are “Vanilla Flavored” chips going to work, or should I keep looking for something officially chocolate?

Nah, any white baking chips will do :)

• Anne says:

Thanks for the Totally Awesome recipe!! My husband’s new favorite cookie. (He loves white chunk macadamia.) I froze some of the dough in cookie dough balls so we wouldn’t gain 5 pounds this week. Any adjustments on baking time/temp for those?

Stephanie G. says:

I made these today. I had to taste the batter, you know, just as every good baker should. It made my knees wobble. Unfortunately, I had to wait for the cookies to cool down after they came out of the oven. I do believe the heavens opened up and angels started singing upon my first bite! WOW! Absolutely deeeeeelicioussss!!! My tummy was singing, my tongue was dancing, and then everyone came home and I had to compose myself.

Thank you ladies for another wonderful, wonderful recipe.

Ariane says:

When I made these, the cookies flattened out too much and looked like one cookie on the pan. What did I do wrong?

Melissa says:

I made these cookies today. I think I’m addicted. They are perfect–chewy, buttery, crunchy, sweet, tangy. Thank you so much for the inspiration. :)

Darci says:

Okay Sara…you did it again! Not that I’m surprised at all, but YUMMY! Thank you for making my house smell good and making my tummy happy. :)

Lily says:

How many cookies does this recipe make?

Aubrey says:

Loved the flavor of these cookies!! YUM! Thanks for sharing another fabulous recipe!!

I’ve made these and they are so delicious! I shared it in my collection of 37 White Chocolate Recipes to try http://kristendukephotography.com/37-delicious-white-chocolate-recipes/#comments

jcat says:

Can’t wait to try these. I just realized the recipe doesn’t call for lime juice, only zest. Hmm..

DeeDee says:

My husband is a white chocolate guy but could I divide the batter and use chocolate chunk chips instead of white? I know chocolate, coconut and macadamia nuts are good but not sure about the lime with the semi-sweet chocolate. Have you tried it? I love lime and coconut!!!!

Beckie says:

325 degrees did not work for me. I had to increase the temp to 375. Anyone else have this problem. My oven seems to be just fine with every other recipe I make.

Rosie says:

Baked a 3/4 batch of these a couple of days ago and gave them to my bf to take on a work trip. Nice cookies!
    This is how they looked: http://flic.kr/p/fdpViQ

Thanks for posting the recipe!