Do you guys ever feel like you have about 15 million more things on your to-do list every day than you can possibly do? Yeah, that’s where I am right now. Like I mentioned earlier this week, my family and I just got home from vacation on Monday and then today, Sara and I are heading to Dallas for a speaking engagement. I literally haven’t unpacked my vacation suitcase yet, let alone packed my work suitcase. We’re feverishly putting final touches and turning in final edits on our next book. Yesterday, I literally changed out of my pajama pants into real pants (and by “real pants,” I mean yoga pants) so I could pay my daughter’s dance tuition. Right now, all I want to do is paint my front door, make yummy food, put together a baby crib, plant flowers, and take a nap, but that will have to wait until after next weekend.

I’m not complaining–I’m grateful for our opportunities, and honestly, I’d rather be busy than not busy. But simple things like dinner are also stressing me out. I’m sick of eating out, I don’t have a huge appetite, and I don’t have a lot of time on my hands, so I guess I’m kind of in the mood for fancy-ish comfort food. That’s easy. And not horrible for me. Not a terribly tall order, right? Yeah, right.

I kind of threw this together using my favorite Alfredo sauce and some fresh produce I had in my fridge. And it ended up being so so so so good. SO good. I kind of wish I’d thrown a few shrimp sauteed in the lemon olive oil, but even still, it was one of the best things I’d eaten in a long time.

To get started, break the tough ends off of a pound of asparagus and thickly slice about 3-4 cups of whole mushrooms.

Preheat your oven to 400. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set it aside.

Using a fine grater or Microplane, zest 2 lemons (or enough to get 1 tablespoon lemon zest). Juice the 2 lemons (or enough to get about 1/4 cup of lemon juice)…

Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 4-5 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon Creole or coarse-grain mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.

Whisk the mixture together and then toss it with the mushrooms and asparagus. Spread the veggies onto the prepared baking sheet and roast it in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender but not mushy. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.

While the veggies are roasting, cook 8 ounces linguine in salted water al dente and prepare a batch of Guiltless Alfredo Sauce. After you add the Parmesan cheese, add the lemon zest. You can either portion out the pasta, sauce, and veggies into individual servings or toss it all together. Serves 6-8.

Anita says:

Where in Dallas? I want to come! :)

and that looks delicious! :)

Ellie says:

This looks delicious! Lemon is my new favorite when I want something to taste light and fresh. I think I need to go buy some asparagus so I can make it this weekend.

Good luck getting all your stuff done. I am right there with you — grateful for all the wonderful things in my life that keep me overwhelmingly busy.

Ellie says:

Update: I made this for dinner last night and it was AWESOME! I did it with asparagus, broccoli, and ham and we loved it that way. Also, after glancing through some of the comments I just realized I totally left out the mustard (and it was fine but I bet it would be even better if I remembered to do it the right way). This was the first time I have made your guiltless alfredo sauce and now I don’t know why I’ve waited so long to try it. It was good enough to lick my plate, er, um, I mean sop up the extra sauce with my bread. :-)

Rebecca says:

I am packing bags to head to Dallas right now! I am so over the top excited to take off and have some ‘me’ time.

Hannah says:

Wow – that sounds amazing… I can’t wait to try this out!

Diane says:

This sounds delicious, I like the idea of adding shrimp. How do you make lemon olive oil?

All my favourite things in one dish, looks great!

Thesha says:

My Goodness! You have done it again, actually that isn’t a surprise…you ladies are awesome like that :). Thank you for the awesome recipe, all of my favorite things in one dish…yes please!

Carly says:

We’ve just recently discovered that our 2 year old LOVES asparagus. Crazy. So, this is perfect. Can’t wait to try it!

Cami L. says:

this is perfect, im adding it to my menu next week. is the mustard absolutely necessary? I know its only 1/4 tsp but I’m scared I’ll be able to taste it too much and don’t actually want to buy an entire jar of it if you know what I mean.

It doesn’t make it mustardy at ALL, it just rounds out the favors a little. The good news is that of you can find it, creole mustard is super super cheap (and it’s by far my favorite mustard–the only thing I use on sandwiches!)

I hear ya on the to-do list…always the worst after the relaxation of vacation…it took me weeks to catch up after our last trip…but that dish looks like it more than makes up for it…thanks for sharing.

I have been waiting for something delicious to do with my asparagus. My dad grows it out by his back fence, so in the summer I have an unlimited supply. Looks delicious.

Good luck with your busy travel schedule. I hear everything is bigger in Texas, you’ll have to let us know if that’s true.

Diane says:

Thanks for this! I was trying to think of a meatless recipe to make tonight and this is perfect because I have everything on hand (minus the mushrooms, but they are not my favorite so I will have to use something else). Good luck getting everything done–I usually do things like create a list that’s humanly impossible to achieve in a day, especially with 3 kids around.

Maopa Lutui says:

Exactly my thoughts today, don’t want to eat out and can’t make up my mind what I want to make. I do have aparagus in my fridge. So that and baked chicken will do for today :) Thanks for sharing!

Melissa says:

Ya know those terribly annoying comments that make you cringe and think, “whatever you like, dummy!” ? Well….this is one of those comments. Sorry! :) Not a mushroom person, but do love the idea of another veggie in the pasta. Since there is lemon involved (which I never cook with – throws off my brain palette) what other veggies would you recommend?

Wow – not only one of those dumb questions, it was also terribly asked! Hope you can understand and forgive! Have a fabulous trip!!

Emily F. says:

I know you said that the creole mustard is super cheap, but would any other kind of mustard work fine with this as well? Is the creole mustard just used for texture since it’s gritty or for flavor also?

You could use another mild coarse-grain mustard, I just like creole because it has a great, mild, complementary flavor; yellow mustard is too distinct, Dijon is too strong, and a lot of other coarse mustards are very strong, too. Walmart actually has a great, mild coarse mustard.

• Becky says:

I’m glad I read this, I don’t have any of those mustards, just honey, spicy brown, and regular. maybe I’ll just use a dash of dry..

Looks pretty great for a thrown-together meal! I love mushrooms so much, and they are such a great compliment to alfredo pasta. I love the idea of adding asparagus to it! Great post!

Wendy Perkins says:

Oooooo, I love asparagus. I love mushrooms. I love pasta. I love Alfredo sauce. I’m getting very hungry.

Anne says:

I made this for dinner last night and it was fabulous! I used “normal” mustard because that’s what we had and I didn’t wany to buy a bottle of something different. I couldn’t taste it at all. My husband thought it was a “little too lemony” but I thought it was wonderful!! Thanks so much for a new recipe. Oh, I also made your guiltless alfredo sauce – easy and so good! It was my first time making my own alfredo sauce and I will definitely make it again! Thanks again!

LHR says:

Dear Kate, This recipe looks great! As you know, I’m always looking for something easy, fast, and good for quick dinners. Thanks so very much for coming to see us last week with your cute Clark, Meredith, and husband, Sam. I still can’t believe how delicious and beautiful your sugar cookies with Glace’ Icing were. Also the District 11 Bread Rolls were about the best rolls I’ve ever eaten! I have to tell all of your readers that the photos on your blog are very good, but truly don’t do justice to the real thing! I was VERY impressed! Love, Lorraine Randle

Natalie says:

Thanks so much for coming to Dallas for TOFW. I was so impressed with you and Sara and really enjoyed your presentation. I love your blog and was so excited to hear you guys speak. You were awesome!! Thanks for inspiring us and making us all laugh!

Amie says:

LOVED seeing yall in Arlington today! Thanks for the laughs, we had such a fun time! Love, Love, Love your blog and have been a follower for a while!

Katie says:

Yes, the recipe sounds delicious, but that is no surprise everything from the blog and cookbook is wonderful. I need clarification on another topic please. Having followed your blog for years I feel like best girl friends, we’ve just never met in person, so you can imagine my shock when I see things like “put together a crib” “take a nap” “not much appetite” – did I miss an announcement!? And if so congratulations are definitely in order! Thanks for all the food (and crafts, decorations, party, etc. . ) inspiration fabulousness.

We are entering asparagus season here in Australia – looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks!

D says:

I made this last night, and it was super delicious! 20 minutes was too long for the asparagus to roast in my oven but it was perfect for the mushrooms, so next time I will roast the mushrooms for 10 minutes, add the asparagus and roast everything for 10 more minutes. I will also make more mushrooms because they shrink down a lot! So lemon-y and fresh delicious, thanks very much for the recipe.

Timalee says:

Just made this for dinner and loved it! Thanks so much for another wonderful recipe.

Idaho Farm Girl says:

Wow! For a “throw-together” meal, this was incredible! I could never throw something together and have it turn out so well. I made this exactly as your recipe stated without any alterations (except I only roasted my asparagus for 13 minutes because it was so thin), and it was delicious. I served it with a tossed green salad and homemade french bread. My husband had two large servings and my kids devoured it. The sauce was divine. I’ve never made your guitless alfredo sauce before though I’ve meant to for ages! I’ve been missing out! Thanks for a keeper of a recipe. Good luck with your busy, busy life and your miles-long to-do list.

Jenn Wilks says:

Love, Love, LOVE. Thank you!!

Jenn Wilks says:

Okay, so it’s not that this doesn’t look good, but I was trying to post that comment on the no-mess frosting post. I have no idea how I got it on the wrong one. LOL. Making icing decorations was my day job at one point, but when I have to just use it at home here and there it’s a mess and a pain. Your tip will definitely help me a lot. :D

Emily S says:

This recipe is awesome! I had my husband make it for dinner (yes, my husband is awesome) the night you posted it and it turned out so good. We took your suggestion and added shrimp. Even my kids gobbled it up. My husband says this is one of his new favorites!

Courtney says:

This is amazing. I added shrimp…definitely going on in my “go to” recipes!

Maggie says:

Shut the front door! This is SO GOOD!!! We roasted the chicken, and since we didn’t have asparagus, we roasted mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, which turned out SO yummy. To add a little green to the meal, we added in fresh spinach to wilt in the sauce before we served it over wheat noodles. I feel like every other day I’m telling all my coworkers and friends about this AMAZING thing I made for dinner, and like 90% of the time, it comes from y’all! Keep it up ladies. You are keeping my household happy and full :)

Jenni says:

I have become an addict to your food and website after stealing your cookbook from my mom’s pantry (she received it as a gift and refuses to deviate from the 15 recipes that she knows). This looks so good! I have been on the hunt for Creole mustard and no luck so far. I bought spicy brown instead, will that work??

Okay, this is going to sound like the weirdest advice ever, but if you have a Walmart with a grocery department nearby, try the Walmart brand (Great Value) coarse brown mustard. It’s the most similar thing I’ve found and it’s surprisingly really good! :)

Liana says:

I think I’ve found dinner tonight but I think I will grill the asparagus…it’s our absolute favorite way to prep it now!

Ashley S. says:

I made this tonight. It was so good! The guiltless alfredo sauce was amazing. My husband and I both loved it. I’m making this the next time we have company over. Thanks so much!

Towanda says:

**Question- It says to add cheese in the third paragraph down on the recipe. I don’t see cheese in the ingredients and can’t figure out where you are putting it. It would be a great addition, is it Parmesan Reggiano? Thanks for the great idea. Making this tonight. Might just throw some fresh park on at the end.

Becky says:

I added zucchini and it was super yummy. I’ve never roasted it before. It was a little mushy and so was my asparagus, but they were close to pencil thin so I added them 5 minutes after I put the mushrooms and zucchini in. Next time, if I have skinny asparagus, I’ll wait on the zucchini and asparagus. I could not get enough of these mushrooms…super yum!!!

howe to cook says:

holy. CRAP!! i tried this last night, and oh. my. gosh. my husband and i could NOT get over how good it was! we were seriously dying! thank you for this recipe. i am new your site but am excited to try more things from it!

A nice and simple and yet tasty way to enjoy some asparagus!

Roberta Sanchez says:

The vegetables came out just right at about 16 minutes; I had some red and green bell peppers that needed to be used so I put those in w/the mushrooms and asparagus. The consensus at my house was it was good, but “too lemony.” Next time I’ll try cutting the amount of lemon in half and try that… I also waited until I only had about 5 min of roasting time left to throw the mushrooms in there as I like mine a little more firm, sort of a meaty texture. For my boys I put in some leftover rotisserie chicken. Worked out great! I will definitely make a double batch of the “guiltless Alfredo sauce” next time so I have a REALLY quick meal! Thank you!

Can’t wait to make this for dinner tonight, sounds delicious! And your sauce sounds amazing! thanks so much for the great recipe!

Tara says:

Just made this and it was amazing! Best endorsements I can give- 1) it was fast enough that I made it after church and no one needed to eat a sandwich while waiting! 2) Two of my three kids cleaned their plates! (and the third always loads up on graham crackers in nursery, so we can’t really count her.)

I’m going back to the store for more mushrooms and asparagus tomorrow! Thanks for a fast, delicious, healthy meal!!!

Ang says:

Made this with asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, and a red pepper. I cut thicker chunks of the veggies and they roasted up beautifully. I also tossed on some leftover grilled chicken that I’d marinated in garlic, lime juice, and pomegranate red wine vinegar. I haven’t been so happy with a meal in a while, and I was in Italy a month ago so that’s saying something. ;-) Thanks for the deliciousness!

DEBORAH BURDGE says:

This is remarkable! Most recipes I don’t make a second time, but this is a keeper! I did not put meat in mine, but served with Cornish Hens. Other than that, it was made like recipe. The lemon in the dish makes the whole thing astonishingly refreshing. Who does not like something that fantastic coming out of their kitchen?

Ursula says:

Fantastic flavour, awesome presentation, easy peasy…….love love love!! It’s a keeper!!