I’m pretty sure we’ve all had one of “those” weeks. This particular week wasn’t really anything horrible, but it involved a sick kid, a sick dog, a messy house, perpetual exhaustion, behindness on laundry, trying to get ahead on blogging, the last few days of school, and general overall chaos. I had something patriotic and fun planned for tomorrow, but today, I needed cinnamon and sugar and bread. And I figured if I needed cinnamon and sugar and bread today, I can’t possibly be the only one, so congratulations. Today is your day. I’m here for you.

I was inspired by Joy the Baker who adapted her recipe from Hungry Girl por Vida (although I’m not using this dough). If you’ve ever made our King Cake, that’s the dough I’m using. It’s The Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon roll dough and it’s not only light and flaky and fabulous, but I swear to you, it’s foolproof. I’m kind of fiercely loyal to and protective of that recipe–we have a special relationship.

To make the dough, you’ll need whole milk, oil, sugar, salt, yeast, baking soda, baking powder, and flour.

Place the milk, sugar, and oil in a large pot and heat until it just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and allow it to cool to 105-115 degrees (about the temperature of a hot, but not uncomfortable, shower). Add the yeast and let it stand for 5 minutes. Add 4 cups of flour, stir it up (it will be easy to mix even though you’re doing it by hand). Cover and allow it to rise for an hour. Add another 1/2 cup of flour, the baking soda, baking powder, and salt, stir it up again, and then cover it and let it hang out until you’re ready to use it. If you want to use it semi-immediately, you can either use it right away or let it rise, covered, for another 30 minutes or so. Or you can cover it with plastic wrap and pop it into the fridge for up to 24 hours or so.

Grease a 9×5″ loaf pan and set it aside.

When you’re ready to use the dough, turn it onto a lightly floured surface.

Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 18 inches wide by 9 inches tall.

Melt or soften 6 tablespoons of butter. It doesn’t really matter. We’re talking about butter and carbs here; there’s no need to be picky. In fact, because I’m so generous when it comes to butter and carbs, I did both–my butter was kind of half-melted, half-softened. And then I spread it all over the dough.

Then I sprinkled it with about 1/2 cup of granulated sugar…

and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon…

If you look closely, you’ll notice that I scored the dough on where I was going to cut it. You’ll want to make 6 3″-wide strips.

And then you’ll notice that when I actually cut the strips, I didn’t follow the score marks at all. This is why I don’t sew.

Anyway.

Carefully stack the the strips so you have two stacks of three strips. Does that make sense? This is also why I don’t sew–I need lots of pictures and when people describe things like that to me, my eyes glaze over and I sew a sleeve on backwards and with the wrong side of the fabric facing out. Luckily, I have a picture for you.

Using a pizza wheel, cut each stack into 3 3″ squares. Pop each stack of squares into the greased pan.

Be careful not to stuff the dough into the pan. If you’re running out of room, you can use the rest of it to fill a mini loaf pan or make a few individual pull-apart rolls in a muffin tin. If it gets too tight in the pan, the insides will still be doughy and you will be sad and I don’t want either one of those things for you.

Now…because we’re being naughty here, melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter from that stick of butter you used to get melty/softened butter earlier. Drizzle it over the top of the loaf and then sprinkle with a little more cinnamon and sugar. Don’t worry. It’s okay. It’s Friday. It’s a 3-day weekend. You need something magical for breakfast on Memorial Day morning. Cinnamon and butter bring people happiness. Feeling better? Yeah, I thought so.

Cover the pan and let it rise for another 30 minutes. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 350. When the dough is done rising and the oven’s done preheating, pop the pan into the oven. If you’re not up for the fun of your fire alarm going off, I’d recommend sliding a baking sheet on the rack underneath the bread pan so it can collect any sugary butter drippings. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until baked through and golden brown on top. If the top is getting too brown before the insides are done, cover the bread lightly with a sheet of aluminum foil. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely.

Now…because we’re really living on the edge here, we’re gonna ice this bad boy. You don’t have to, but seriously…if you like sweet melty icing on your cinnamon rolls, you really should drizzle this buttery, almond-vanilla glaze on top of the bread.

You’ll need 8 ounces sifted powdered sugar (by weight…seriously, if you haven’t already, go buy a $6 kitchen scale. It will change your life.), 4 tablespoons of melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract, and enough milk to make the icing the consistency you want it. Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth and then pour it into a heavy-duty Ziploc bag. Snip a corner off the bag and drizzle it over the cooled bread. You can either wait until the glaze firms up or start pulling the bread apart. If you are indeed human, I might lose a little respect for you if you wait. Just sayin’.

Dani says:

Yum – delicious – and I’ve just eaten breakfast. Now I want some cinnamon bread… :)

Courtney says:

This looks amazing. I always feel like I just could’t be bothered with such time consuming recipes on early weekend mornings, but, for this bread I will make an exception. Cannot. Wait. :)

Leigh Ann says:

Agreed on the kitchen scale…it definitely changed my life! :)

Brian Howes says:

This looks wonderful and I’m definitely going to make it! I looked through the entire recipe but couldn’t find out how to serve… guess it’s going to be a sticky, delicious mess!

Kristi F says:

That looks amazing! I might have to try it this weekend. I wonder how many Weight Watchers points it is? Hahahaha!

I’ve been meaning to try this for some time. It looks so awesome!

JConnolly says:

Number one…this recipe looks FANTASTIC! I’ve been meaning to try the PW cinnamon roll recipe, but never got around to it. Now that I know it’s been officially endorsed by OBB, I’m all over it. Number two…I love reading the stuff you write. Just the right amount of wit and sarcasm. I think some people have a hard time writing things so that they sound just the way you would say them in person without it sounding like a bunch of random jibberish, but you do it perfectly. I don’t usually write weird comments like that, but I thought I should let you know.

Amanda says:

That looks heavenly! *swoon* I, too, need pictures to figure out what someone is talking about. So thank you for that. :)

Rebecca says:

Oh. my. goodness.

I have never made anything with yeast and I can’t sew! Do you think this recipe would be a good starter for me (to bake with yeast, I don’t think I’ll ever sew!)?

This dough would be perfect to start with! The good thing is that it also has baking powder and baking soda in it, so it helps you out if you get in trouble. :)

And you and I can just not sew. Ever. :)

Ellie says:

That looks awesome! It might put us into a sugar coma, but it would be totally worth it! Also, my husband got me a couple of USA bread pans for mother’s day and I am officially in love. I can’t remember when you talked about them but they are my new favorite kitchen item.

juli says:

YUM! I just got married and didn’t get any bread pans at my shower. That is first on my to-do list (to buy bread pans)and second is to make this bread. I laughed out loud with the scoring/sewing bit.

Janelle says:

Here’s the recipe on Hungry Girl that Joy adapted from: http://www.hungrygirlporvida.com/blog/2011/02/18/meyer-lemon-pull-apart-bread/

Kelli says:

Ok, I definitely need this today. I am in mourning over our family car – cinnamon and sugar are definitely a necessity! That being said, I could totally see this being a super yummy teacher gift made in little mini-loaf giveaway pans and wrapped in pretty cellophane bags! I mean, really, who doesn’t LOVE cinnamon and sugar!

Lauren says:

Woooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!

SewLindaAnn says:

Do you think this would bake up okay with lowfat milk or soy milk?

I’m not sure about soy milk because I’ve never baked with it. Lowfat milk is okay, especially in a pinch, but it just might not come out as light and airy.

Hope that helps! :)

• Kelli says:

I have found soy milk does not bake well. If it’s a lactose issue I replace all milks with Lactaid, which bakes fantastically but you will get a skin on it when you scald the milk. Yuck!

Angie says:

I’m definitely going to have to make these!

Christina L. says:

Oh. My. Word.
    I love you.

Amanda says:

This may be a silly question, but how much yeast is in a ‘package’? I’m in the UK so not sure how big the US yeast packages are… :)

Thanks!

Leesa W says:

I love how you write these posts :) This month has gone down in the books as “meltdown May,” so we’re more than ready for a recipe like this – thank you! PS: I think we blog followers would understand if you miss a few posts…Don’t fret too much about “getting ahead!” :)

JP says:

Actually I have a kitchen scale and do use it when I have to, but couldn’t you pretty please just tell us in cups how much powdered sugar to use? I mean, for those who don’t have one and would rather not guess? Love your blog by the way, you both write well and the recipes you make honestly turn out the way you say they will. Three cheers for that!

I honestly don’t know and I’m out of powdered sugar (not sure how THAT happened since I went through a phase where I was always scared I was going to run out, so I picked up a bag every time I was at the store). I know they give approximate measurements on the bag for how many cups are in the bag, so it shouldn’t be too tricky to deduce how many cups 8 ounces is. :)

Jamie mcgroarty says:

Oh, yum! I going to have to try this over the weekend.

garysgirl says:

Oh my goodness wow!! This looks absolutely AMAZING!! :))

garysgirl says:

Oh and sorry about your week! Sounds stinky! lol ;P But your post made me laugh! ;)

Cathy B. says:

This looks so yummy; I’m going to try making it very soon! Should the bread be taken out of the pan before glazing? Or should it just be left in the pan for glazing and serving? (I wasn’t sure if maybe you left it in the pan for your photo because it looks great that way, or if it’s actually best to do it that way.)

You can do it either way. I’d actually probably take it out of the loaf to glaze it, but it’s fallen apart on me before and I wanted to make sure I had a whole, pretty loaf for the picture. :)

I usually make big, gooey, round cinnamon rolls. I love the way this recipe fills the pan with flat slices of dough. Perfect for that extra cinnamon craving. A great treat for this weekend. Thanks!

Becky says:

I love you! You have made the last day of school a much better day! I might have to make them every morning to get through summer:) And the kids aren’t going to complain about eating this for breakfast!

Kate!!! You are my new bestie! I have totally had the same week, but with me being the sick one. Not sick enough that it justifies me laying in bed all day, but just enough that it is lingering and I wish I could lay in bed all day. I was wanting some cinnamin-y bread and then I remembered you promised something naughty today. So glad I looked. Also you inspired me to hop on Amazon to get that big silpat and a new scale that got lost somewhere along the way. That will make up for feeling so lousy! Thanks again!

Paula says:

I just got back from my favorite store and I saw something similar in the bakery. I used my best will power to say no, I can resist. Then I log into facebook when I get home and this recipe is in my newsfeed! Argh! I may not be able resist this time!

Leah Arnold says:

I saw something about your Glow in the Dark drinks and Jello stars (?) in the “makeit-loveit.com”. I couldn’t get those recipes to pull up. They sound like such great ideas for the kids Fall Festival at church. Can you tell me how to get those recipes?

auntiepatch says:

OMG! I’m headed for the kitchen! DON’T get in my way!

Celeste Dodge says:

So I’m making it now. Should I be concerned that it didn’t get all puffy like it should when you add the yeast and wait 10-15 min? I hate when I do a recipe all the way through hoping that the yeast will cooperate only to find out it didn’t proof right to begin with. Thanks!!

Cher says:

This looks SOOOOOOOO GOOD! I am sick at the moment but if I am up to it, I will be making it for Sunday morning church coffee time. It looks so easy and I can start it and refrigerate it. Thank you so much for this recipe. May you be blessed this weekend.

Terry says:

I just made these!! Initially I thought, ” maybe I should have make it with Pillsbury biscuits to save time”. But when they came out of the oven…. I was so glad I followed your recipe!! Nothing compared to the taste of freshly made bread! And the smell….heavenly! So delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Whitney says:

How lazy does it sound to just roll out some rhodes dough for the base? This sounds like a perfect Memorial Day breakfast…if it lasts that long.

Melissa says:

Ok so I’m lazy….can you just make the dough in a bread machine? I love using it to make dough. Makes things so much easier. This looks great and I’m sure my kids would love it!

I’ve never tried it in a bread machine (bread machines and I haven’t had a whole lot of luck with each other), but seriously, this is one of the easiest to work with doughs EVER. If you try it and it works, let us know!

Linda says:

Why cant I save this recipe to my recipe box? It tells me NOT FOUND Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help.

Search for:
    Can anyone tell me whats up?

Amanda Burton says:

This looks amazing! When you make her cinnamon rolls do you use this glaze too, or hers with the maple and coffee?

Sherri says:

I buy my yeast in bulk, any chance you can tell me the actual amount of yeast rather than just one packet? And I have to agree, love my kitchen scale.

I used my regular ol’ vegetable oil. Hopefully it works out. My dough is stitting in the fridge right now! Excited to bake it :) yumm

Jaynie says:

And it’s going to be a rainy weekend here in Utah, so I’m thinkin’ I’m makin’ these for the fun of it!

Morgan says:

I have decided that in 18 weeks, i’m going to have the body of lolo jones. this recipe is not conducive to that, but….I’m going to get super serious with that diet on monday, so maybe i can sneak this in on sunday or something. It looks so yummers, and way easier than cinnamon rolls. Thanks!

It looks sinfully delicious!

Grace says:

I tried making this today and it’s about to go in the oven, but the dough is REALLY soft. It was sticking to the board I rolled it out on, and I had to practically pour flour on top so I could actually roll it out. I used 2% milk, and I also live at sea level, so would that affect the recipe? It still looks amazing, it was just tricky to work with. Any ideas would be much appreciated so I can use them in the future. :)

BeccaS says:

I had a sick kid messy house week too! And the in-laws are coming tomorrow…I definitely need this buttery, cinamonny-sugar creation in my life – and someone to make it for me…

Sach Trikha says:

I know this is totally cheating, but is there a store-bought type of dough I can use ? This looks really similar to pizza dough actually ?!

Love the idea, but just don’t have enough time sometimes to make it from scratch!

Megan F says:

Regardless of how delicious this will be, (I ‘ll know in an hour or so) your commentary totally made my day.

kara says:

oh. dang.

Christine says:

I made this over the weekend and it turned out great! Thank you very much for the step-by-step instructions – they really helped. I am so glad I put a pan in the oven to catch the drips, thanks to your suggestion. As my bread cooked, several pieces of dough at either end jumped ship – it was very funny. Yummy! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Amanda says:

I SERIOUSLY love your blog and I even MORE seriously love your food! I have loved everything I have made from here and these are next on my list. I’m sure they won’t disappoint! PS: I have a family who is all allergic to milk and I’ve found almond milk to be the best substitute when baking (can’t do lactaid-it’s an actual allergy, not lactose intolerance). It has more fat than other non dairy milks so it seems to work the best. Just a tip!

Jan says:

Just want to make sure that I am doing this correctly……..the stacks of cut bread pieces are placed cut side down in the pan correct?

Liz says:

That looks so good… but I can’t have milk. Is there a suggested substitute for the milk in the dough recipe?

Jen M says:

Made this yesterday for my friend’s birthday. So yummy! She loved it, and her hubby said it was better than his mom’s cinnamon rolls, yikes! Thank you for making me a popular baker/cook.

Every Friday, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday. I love this post so much I’m featuring it as part of the roundup (with a link-back and attribution) and I hope you have no objections. It’s a pleasure following your creations…

Julia says:

By The Way, Even though most people probably know this banana+milk+vanilla ice cream+blender=happy kids:)

Pat Moore says:

Nice it look pretty good , I like the recipe and i love it so i will try it in my home..

I LOVE Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon rolls, but when I think about making them, I remember it taking 7 pans and 3 hours and I give up before I begin. I’ll definitely be trying this!

Cyndi says:

Just made these. Made two loaves, and I dropped on in a suddsy pan soaking in the sink.
    But the second one was spared. It is fantastic. DH loves it, and so I do too. Kids had a blast with this one.

? How do I store it until morning? Fridge? Microwave?

Ok, I’m not gunna lie, but I have tried PW’s cinnamon roll recipe and was not impressed. Maybe I need to give it a second chance because this bread looks fab!

Caitlyn says:

This looks like a great recipe!! Two questions: I see on the ingredients listing it has “1/2 c sugar” listed twice..? Help!! and my second question is, does there have to be almond extract in the glaze? I am allergic to nuts and am afraid this would cause a problem. Thanks!!!

Sorry, I should have made that more clear–1/2 cup of sugar for the dough and another 1/2 cup for sprinkling on the dough before baking. :)

As far as the extract goes, you can totally just omit and use vanilla instead.

Hope that helps! :)

Amy Rundstrom says:

I finally made these – made one large loaf pan and one tiny little one (didn’t want to pack them in too tightly, as per instructions). It was LOVELY – I couldn’t wait to take it to the office to share the next day. I ate the mini-one (baker’s portion, right?), and it was DELICIOUS. I left the big on on the back burner of the cooktop, left, came back, and it had been DEVOURED by one of my DOGS. I swear, I’m a dog lover, I really am, but I seriously considered doggy-cide. Lucky for them that there was no way of telling and that I know it doesn’t do any good anyway…But that darned dog ate the entire top out of my lovely loaf – not one section was untouched. SOB! Boy was that one little taste good, though…I’ll get my heart back and try again, though. And then I’ll pull my head out of my hiney and NOT leave it where my giant naughty dog can even BREATHE on it! Bad girl, BAD girl!

cesca says:

Oh my! This looks (as my nine year-old son says every-other-sentence) EPIC!!!
    It’s the start of Easter break tomorrow afternoon, so this thing is about to go down! …Oh dear, I think I’ve been watching too much disney channel with the kids. Great blog, thank heavens for google.

Mady Hernandez says:

Don’t know what happened but this was an epic fail for me :( didn’t turn out at all.

Sharon says:

Is it possible to make the dough ahead of time and either freeze or refrigerate for a day or two before using?