Remember last week when I was talking about how I kind of kept forgetting it was spring? Yeah, I’m over that. My car thermometer said 94 degrees yesterday and the fact that I was wearing pants was making me feel all stabby. Apparently summer is here (at least in the South; is it super hot everywhere else?) and I’m (clearly) trying really hard to have a good attitude about it. Note sarcasm.

The good news? Frozen treats make me feel better about the world. The bad news? My freezer is currently overrun by little Frozen Lemonade Pies. Fortunately, that is not the worst bad news I’ve ever gotten in my life.

This is one of my favorite favorite favorite treats of all time, but I’ve always been a little hesitant to post it because it’s so dang easy. Not that we’re not all about easy, but we’re talking easy enough that a really smart monkey could make it. But maybe when I’m feeling grumpy because I’m legally required to wear pants, I need super-smart-monkey frozen treats.

Growing up, we always made this pie in a store-bought graham cracker crust (and that’s still totally an option; you could also use the small graham cracker tart crusts). I wanted to adorable-ize (TOTALLY a word) things just a little, so I decided to make these in the squatty little Mason jars, kind of like a summery version of Pie in a Jar. You can use 8 8-ounce jars with the straight sides (like we do in Pie in a Jar), but I actually found myself wanting a more dainty portion and wished I had 16 of the 4-ounce jars on hand that weren’t covered in Mod Podge and tissue paper. Don’t ask.

For the crust, you’ll need 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup sugar, and 6 tablespoons of butter.

Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a small bowl. Melt the butter and then drizzle it over the crumbs…

Toss together the ingredients, wither with a fork or with your fingers. Then evenly distribute the crumb mixture into the jars. If you’re using 8 ounce jars, you’ll need about 3 heaping tablespoons per jar. For 4 ounce jars, use closer to 2 level tablespoons per jar. Lightly press the crumbs onto the bottom and up the sides of the jar.

Keep in mind that these are going in the freezer and will solidify a lot. Also keep in mind that graham cracker crust that is hard to eat will only lead to heartache and sorrow, and since we don’t want to be the cause of any kind of heartache, don’t press the crust in too firmly.

Set your jars aside.

For the filling, you’ll need 12 ounces (so 1 1/2 of the smaller containers) of thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, and 8 ounces of thawed lemonade concentrate (you’re not gonna use the whole can…mix the rest of it with water for, well, lemonade). I use pink lemonade because that is how I roll. You also might want to have a lemon on hand–if the mixture is a little too sweet for your taste, you can add a tablespoon or two of lemon juice to kick things up a notch.

In a large bowl, gently fold together the COOL WHIP and add the sweetened condensed milk. Add the lemonade concentrate (thawed but still cold) and continue folding until combined.

If you want, you can add a little food coloring–I added 4 drops of red food coloring and a drop of yellow, not that you’ll be able to tell in the pictures.

Divide the filling evenly among the prepared jars…

and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

So easy, right?! Now that we’re moving into wedding season, these would be perfect little make-ahead desserts for a bridal shower (and baby showers, although, as I have discovered, there’s not really such thing as baby season–they seem to happen all year long). They would also be perfect for Mother’s Day; not saying that there aren’t men or children who feel completely at home in the kitchen on Mother’s Day, but my man is not one of them. Bless his heart. NOTE TO MY HUSBAND, SHOULD HE BE READING THIS: I want pie for Mother’s Day. And I don’t want to do the dishes afterwards.

Just to make things super easy, these pies should have little attachable notes, right?

Print these out, buy some cute ribbon, punch a hole in the corner, tie it onto the jar, and you have a happy mom.

For the Mother’s Day Printable, click HERE.

Thank you COOL WHIP for sponsoring this post. Join us on Facebook for inspiration and recipes for everyday treats. What you add makes it. #coolwhipmoms

Sponsored posts are purely our own ideas that we are pleased to have presented by a participating sponsor. As always, we write about products that we use and enjoy. Advertisers do not produce our content in any way.

Casey says:

Whoa… mind.blown. These look so amazingly wonderful, I wish I had the stuff on hand so that I could be making them now… at 1:14am. Instead I am sitting here debating how crazy I’d look going to the grocery store at this hour for this stuff. Ha! I guess I will wait till tomorrow, but only because I don’t want to put public clothes on. ;-)

Jenn says:

I read this post and totally giggled at “public clothes”…. so glad I’m not the only one who thinks like that!

Julene says:

Cute!!!

Jenn says:

I was thinking these would make really cute treats for Teacher’s Appreciation Day, but how would I keep them frozen for the teachers? Especially since they might not eat these until later in the day?

In any case, I know what dessert I’m making for Mother’s Day! :) (if making a whole pie, what would the ingredient measurements be?)

You might have to see if there was a freezer in the cafeteria or the faculty room that you could use. :)

As far as the whole pie goes, use the exact same measurements, but just pop the whole filling into one of those prepared graham cracker crusts (or you can press the crust recipe into a pie plate/springform pan/9×13″ pan. I’ve never made it with the little tarts, but in my experience, you’ll end up filling a few more of those, so maybe 10 tart crusts?

Breck says:

all of our teachers lounges have a refrigerator in them and I am fairly certain most teachers lounges do…definitely check..wish I taught at that school..

Kim says:

This is a family favorite, but I may have to try it in the cute little jars instead of a 9 X 13 pan.

Yum! This sounds absolutely lovely! Yum!

Kit says:

Yep, I think the south is having a summer moment. NC is going to be hot all week so this dessert sounds fabulous. I wish I had some of it right now.

I was wondering if I could use the little clear heavy duty plastic cups. Did not want to worry about the glass in small hands or arthritic hands.It would not be as heavy as glass not to mention nothing that has to be washed

This is a fantastic treat to have when my nearly 3 year old baby niece comes to visit during the next couple of days! We’re doing a pink/yellow themed little early birthday celebration (since she lives out of state) for her and I only have sugar cookies ready. You’re saving me! Plus, this is even simpler than the Dream Whip and Jello frozen pie I considered! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Melissa says:

These look adorable and tasty, but what I really wanted to say was thanks for the laugh! “Making me feel all stabby” is my new favorite.

Natalie Adams says:

This is one of our family recipes, but ours uses a ritz cracker crust (55 ritz crackers, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, and 1/2 cup melted butter) and we only refrigerated it. I definitely like the idea of freezing it!

ButterYum says:

This is such an adorable idea. Love, love, love the way you displayed them too.

Line says:

So cute! We don’t have cool whip here in Denmark, can i use anything else?

the emily says:

How many jars does this recipe make? Sooo cute, man. So cute.

Courtney says:

These are so cute and perfect for the cute little tote bags I bought for my friends’ birthdays (why is everyone’s birthday in the same month?) I was going to make some cookies or muffins, but this is way better! And they will love it! I suppose I can put the little lids on and it will still work.

Ej says:

Sounds absolutely amazing!
    Kate’s feisty when she’s pregnant! -totally acceptable.

Totally feisty. I had a really bad moment when I was pregnant with my first and I’m pretty sure what, at the time, I thought was a look of sympathy was actually a look of, “Should I notify security?” :)

Loni says:

My mom made something like this when I was growing up. Just instead of using cool whip and sweetened condensed milk, she used ice cream. You just have to let is sit out a bit so it will warm up enough to be stirred, then add in the lemonade concentrate. Super yummy!

Sandir says:

You say to cover them &freeze…but it doesn’t look like you covered yours..right ? Awfully cute with the swirly tops popping out over the top.

I have a 9×13″ dish that has a domed lid on it, so I stuck them all in there and then put the lid on it. Also, if they’re not going to be in the freezer for TOO long, they can go uncovered.

Steph says:

This was known as “fluff” dessert growing up and it was served at every family gathering. Although it was usually kept in the fridge instead of freezer. Great either way!

Janelle says:

I actually just bought a can of limeade concentrate for a recipe, but I only need a half-cup of it, so I might use the rest for these. A lime version would be tasty, too.

I used to make lemonade pie a lot when I was in college, mostly because it was easy and didn’t require a lot of kitchen tools! I’ve never made it in a jar, though, and mine never looked this beautiful!! Love it!

Amanda says:

these sound yummy, simple, and inexpensive… but was wondering what you thought of a sugar cookie crust instead of graham cracker? (unfortunately its not very warm in NY yet, send some weather my way! hehe)

I grew up with my mother making this…but as a normal pie, not in jars. To top it off she would shave a chocolate bar on the top. She used yellow lemonade not pink though. This is such a refreshing pie for a hot summer day! It always goes fast because everyone loves it!!

Stacey says:

Where can you get the cute, squatty jars?

Cheri says:

Totally off subject, but I guess I’m the only one wondering why in the world you are legally required to wear pants. Was that a joke? Or what’s it all about? I can’t imagine having to wear pants in 94 degree weather.

Oh, I’m using the term “pants” pretty liberally–I pretty much don’t want anything on my bottom half. Dresses are my BFF right now, but I only have so many and I can’t wear them to doctor’s appointments unless I want to give them a peep show (that is, of course, until the measuring stops and the REAL peep show begins in a few weeks. Sorry about the TMI, haha). :)

Melissa says:

So, I think that this is a perfect gift for my son’s teachers. Anything I should be aware of other than putting a little less of the filling in the jar if I use the lids?

teresa says:

This is too adorable for words….sweet
    so going to make these.
    Thanks so much!
    Happy Day

Nicole Peck says:

Holy yumminess!!! That looks divine!! I would be OK if those were taking up all my freezer space too!!!

Paula hart says:

I’ve never heard anyone say they felt stabby…but that one line totally hit my funny bone! Heat and pregnancy do not mix! I know the psychosis it causes, ha ha! This looks amazing, and so easy my toddler can help make it. and I was just wondering what to do with these last few hours before husband comes home:-)

Amy says:

We make this (only we call it ‘Pink Lemonade Dessert’ and reserve some of the crumb mixture to sprinkle on top for garnish) in my family and it is really the only justification for Cool Whip I’ve found. A little food snobby, but not really since I DO use/love it in this recipe, right? Memories of summer – 4th of July at ‘the lake’, sweet and tart and salty/sweet graham cracker crust all at the same time. And about anything with sweetened condensed milk gets my vote!

Mikki says:

Love love LOVE this idea! I’m off to find some jars and see how many different kinds of pies in jars I can make! :-) Thanks for being awesome . . .

Cherie says:

Wow! This sounds so darn good! I’m not going to waste time with the jars, I’m going for the whole pie! What a way to cool off in the hot Texas heat! Tks!

KAM says:

Cute Dessert and lots of people like lemon.

THANKS!!!

I love this dessert! It isn’t warm here yet, but hopefully it will warm up soon so I can make this dessert.

Julie says:

Hey, My BYU roommate taught me how to make lemonade pie in 1974! I’ve been loving it ever since. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    XOXO Julie (Erin Jones’s mommy)

Could you make this with *real* whipped cream? I don’t often buy Cool Whip- home made is how I roll. I would love this so much.

Rebecca D. says:

I can’t wait to make this. Years ago, a local mexican restaurant served these. I have always wanted the recipe. Thank you!

Ruth Ann says:

Just made this and can’t wait! I licked the spatula and it was awesome! Perfection! Not sure I can wait the 4 hours!

Okay. I made a lemonade one and a pink lemonade one. Oddly enough, the pink one was more tart. I used a different brand of lemonade, maybe Old Orchard? This did not go over well for most here. I suggest using the brand of lemonade as shown in the post.

Keri says:

My boyfriend who thinks he is a judge on top chef loved these!! (btw that was the 3rd recipe I used from OBB this week, and all were hits!)

Sam says:

I want to make these for my Mom, but live four hours away from her. Will they be okay on a four hour drive?

very cute idea. I like all recipes in ball jars.

Brittany says:

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it! Also, pregnant women should be allowed to go pantless and pretty much do whatever they want, especially toward the end.

Molly says:

I made this this weekend and it was delicious! :) Still enjoying the leftovers. I made it in a 9 x 13in pan and used a 16 oz cool whip and all 12 oz. of the lemonade. The only thing I would change is to double the crust proportions for this size of a pan. Just hoping the suggestion will help someone else. :)

Meredith says:

We totally had this pie all.the.time growing up! LOVE it. Yeah for the South!

Michelle Charles says:

These are delicious! I made them in baby food jars for a baby shower! They were adorable!

Kim says:

Could this be any MORE delicious looking? I cannot wait to try this. I will most likely make extra (by accident, of course). I love it! I featured this recipe in my Weekend Find blog post this weekend, which you can check out here: http://twotendesigns.blogspot.com/2012/05/weekend-finds-mothers-day.html

Cannot wait to make (read: eat) these!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Kim

Stephanie says:

Wow. I just made this, and if my kids weren’t watching, I would have licked the entire bowl clean with my tongue. It’s DELICIOUS! And so cute. A perfect go-to for a quick gift. Thanks!

Michelle says:

The following might be ridiculous questions, but now that I’ve actually sat down to make these, I’m confused. You said we wouldn’t be using the whole can of lemonade; if that’s the case, how much are we using? And just to clarify, by thawed do you mean in its liquid form? Or just thawed enough to work with?

Leigh Ann says:

The recipe notes that you only need 8 oz of the lemonade, and mine was completely defrosted when I poured it in (but still cold from the fridge). I just stirred until it was completely combined, and I didn’t see any of it still swirled in the Cool Whip.

Yep, Leigh Ann beat me to it. :)

Leigh Ann says:

My mom used to make this when we were young, and it’s only fitting that I make it for her now :) I made it using the store bought graham crust, “laminated” the printable using packing tape, punched a hole in the corner and tied a cute little bow with ribbon. Then I glued the printable to the plastic lid that came with the crust. So cute! Can’t wait to give it to her :)

Nikki says:

I just made these for tomorrow, and I literally swiped the bowl clean with my fingers getting the remnants out. So yummy! I’m sure they’ll be even better frozen and with crust. :)

Christina says:

We blessed my son today so we had a gathering of many ‘moms’ here today. I made these up yesterday to pass out to all the lovely ladies. They were a HIT!! Everyone loved them!! I did pink lemonade and food colored them a very pretty light pink:) Thanks for the recipe!!

ps. Oh, and my daughter and I kept making mini pies on a spoon as we were finishing them too! Sooooo yummmmy!!!

Karen says:

Growing up we had this all the time as a refrigerated pie. Our favorites were always limeade and pink lemonade. Need to try this version. Thanks for sharing.

Hey just wondering exactly how much lemonade you add to the mix…?

Myrianne says:

These are absolutely tasty! I made a whole bunch, and they vanished in a week. I used the whole can of lemonade concentrate and a larger whipped cream. Really zippy and tasty. Just got a different flavor of lemonade concentrate to try it with next time.

Has anybody done limeade and made mini key-limeade pies? Just curious. :)

~m

Jaqi says:

I bought my 4 oz jars at HEB. They were actually cheaper there. I couldn’t find any at Walmart. I think they had them at Target, but they were at least a dollar more than they were at the grocery store. Unusual, I know.

Missi says:

Almost everything is cheaper at HEB than at Target, in my experience. I’m going to need to look at mine for the 4 oz jars, though, because now I want to make this! These little jars, outside of sheer cuteness, are going to be amazing to help with my portion control…

Erin Camp says:

I made these in the 8 oz jars but found I would have liked a smaller version. Instead of buying the 4 oz jars since they were just for family and not gifts, I bought small plastic ramekins from the dollar store (3 for a dollar) and it was a super cheap alternative to the jars. I even bought red and died the mixture blue for a great American themed dessert. I used a whole can of pink lemonade….because the first time I forgot the 8 oz part by the time I opened the can. And the second time I thought the 12 oz version had tasted better. Alittle more tart. ;) I loved them too much!!! Thank you!

Lynne says:

I made these in the little-jar size last month for teacher appreciation day at my kids’ school…teachers loved them!! I attached little cards on them tied in rafia. Very cute and easy to do. Since then, I’ve made this recipe twice for my family, and they love it too. I just made it as a whole pie tonight and it came out great. I also added fresh raspberries to one of previous batches and it was also yummy. Thanks for the great idea!

Connie Hamblin says:

This is alot like the Pink Cloud I make But you use Ritz crackers for the crust.

Sharon says:

Can I make this lactose free somehow? It’s the condensed milk that is a problem…any substitutions?

Judy Glass says:

I have been making this pie for years! The ingredients fit a normal size graham cracker pie crust. And, the filling firms up, so it would not have to remain frozen until given out. It can stay in the refrigerator. I will have to try these in the jar!