A few weeks ago, Sara and I were in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania for a speaking event. It was our last trip of the spring and my last trip before I have my baby, so I think we both felt a little more relaxed and like it was easier to enjoy ourselves and the city we were visiting.

Our first night there, we walked down the street to The Fire House Restaurant and I ordered a steak sandwich with garlic aioli and brie. It was like the marriage of so many of my favorite things–I’m pretty sure I would have steak for my last meal if I got any say in it, you guys know how much I love garlic, and brie and I have a scandalous, unspeakable history. It is an addictive, naughty cheese that I can’t be in the same room with and still expected to act like a lady.

I was expecting a sliced steak sandwich (like a Philly Cheesesteak), but the steak was a whole steak. And it was one of the most tender, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth steaks I’d ever eaten. However, because I know how tricky that can be (especially for something like a sandwich where even a tiny bit of toughness can make the whole sandwich-eating process a whole lot less pleasant), when I re-made this sandwich at home, I decided to slice the steak. I didn’t do it in the food processor like I do for Cheesesteak Sandwiches, but I sliced a really nice, high-quality top sirloin into 1/4″ slices.

I’d recommend using a lean cut like sirloin or a tenderloin; I tried it with a ribeye the first time because the grocery store was out of sirloin AND tenderloin and it cooked up too fatty for my taste, kind of like beefy bacon. Which, believe me, was not the worst thing in the world, but when combined with the brie and aioli, it was too much.

Anyway.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add some butter and, when it’s melted and bubbly, add the sliced steak and season it with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, flipping once or twice, until the steak is cooked how you like it (I cooked mine until it was just cooked through–it was still tender that way, but I wasn’t worrying about that infinitely long list of things that pregnant women aren’t supposed to eat). Remove the pan from heat.

Slice some high-quality sandwich rolls in half. Spread the bottom half with Garlic & Caper Aioli.

Place 1/4″-thick slices of brie on the top half.

Turn the broiler on your oven to the highest setting and place the open-faced sandwiches under the broiler for 3-5 minutes (watch them carefully!) or until the aioli side is toasting and the brie is melting. Remove from the oven. Use a knife to spread the brie on the top half of the sandwich.

Place a leaf of lettuce on the aioli side of the sandwich. Place the cooked steak on top of the lettuce leaf.

Top with tomato and onion slices and then cap it off with the brie side of the bread.

Eat. Die. Go to Heaven. The end.

Perdita says:

OH MY! That looks too delicious. We were just talking about how to make a cheese steak more interesting and ‘sophisticated’ in my house this weekend… this looks the perfect recipe for that challenge!

Thesha says:

I’m with you on having steak for my last meal. There is nothing like a tender, juicy, flavorful steak! This looks wonderful, thank you for another awesome recipe!

Cheese steaks are my husband’s favorite. He orders them EVVVVERYWHERE we go, like he’s on some kind of a quest. I have a feeling he’d love this sandwich!!

Elizabeth says:

It looks delicious, but check out your cheese VERY carefully, Kate and other expectant mothers out there. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) warns, “Do not eat soft cheese such as feta, Brie, and queso fresco unless they have labels that say they are pasteurized.” See Item #4 at http://www.cdc.gov/Features/pregnancy/.

Yep, that’s a really good point! One good thing about living in the middle of nowhere is that I’m pretty sure i couldn’t find unpasteurized Brie here for a million bucks, but it’s definitely something to keep in mind, especially if you’re buying cheese from specialty or organic markets.

Ellie says:

Looks amazing. And a big yes on steak for my last meal. Also, thanks for a great Mother’s Day! My husband made your garlic-rosemary roasted potatoes for part of our dinner and your molten lava cakes for part of dessert. It was a great day and I hope yours was, too!

Holly says:

I, too, have a love affair with brie. Double cream brie. Triple cream brie. Trader Joe’s delice de bourgogne is something I crave, hoard when I have it, and cry when eating. I love baked brie with pesto and pine nuts, brown sugar and pecans, or apricots and honey. I could go on and on. I actually have some brie in the fridge RIGHT NOW and some steaks in the freezer…I will now make myself a sinful lunch that I don’t have to share with ANYONE! Mmm, thank you for a delicious recipe again! Oh, and my Mother’s Day was perfected by my smart husband buying me your cookbook. So beautiful, the whole family went through it page by page, oohing and aahing together from front to back. It was a grand evening. :)

Oh my gosh I just got tears in my eyes that sounds so good…curse you pregnant hormones that cry over ANYTHING!

Jessica S. says:

This sounds amazing. Brie and anything is heaven. When I saw the title on my email, I was hoping this would be a grilled sandwich of some kind, like maybe a panini. I’m sure I can handle making that adjustment. There’s something about a panini that makes all meat and cheese combos even better.

Rebecca says:

Right now my favorite sandwich is chorizo and brie, but this looks VERY tasty!

Marissa says:

That looks and sounds delicious! I’ll have to save it for a date night dinner, so it’s deliciousness is not wasted on my kids. ;) Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay says:

Looks amazing. Brie and rare steak are 2 of the many things I missed most when I was expecting :)

Patricia says:

Having a vegetarian husband and seeing this recipe do NOT MIX WELL! He just came home from a nearly-week-long hike with a pal but I am now looking forward to the next one! I think I will suggest it happen VERY soon!

Thanks for this yummy-sounding recipe.

Corene says:

Eat. Die. Go to heaven. LOVE it! :) Would have liked to seen you in Harrisburg, but now I’ll just have to go the Fire House Restaurant and think of you! Oh, and I’ll be making this when I can trust myself to bring home brie. :)

Yum!! Must give this a try!

This looks delicious, but I can’t eat steak :( Any way to make this vegetarian, would it be good with chicken?? I’d love to make it and would welcome suggestions.

Helen says:

that looked good enough that it made me hungry just looking at it lol!
    Helen

Amrita says:

Wherever I look there are sandwiches and subs and po’ boys loaded with jalapenos, lettuce, olives, peppers, mustard, mayo, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, gravy blah blah blah and what not! I think people have deviated from the pleasure of a good and simple sandwich. And brie and steak with simple tomatoes, aioli and lettuce sound so great!

Angela says:

This looks amazing – can’t wait to try it! But I have a question: many of your recipes lately have specified “high-quality” ingredients, e.g. sausages, buns, steak, etc. But how do I know if it’s high quality? When you specify high-quality, can you give us some clues as to what to look for? I’m in Canada, so the brand name probably won’t help much either. Thanks!

It ususally involves some trial and error. :) In this case, at our grocery store, there’s the bread aisle with the national brands, there’s kind of yucky bread baked in the grocery store bakery, and then they have a higher-end line of “artisan” breads that they bake in their bakery and that’s what I used here. If we had a bakery here that made great artisan breads and rolls, that’s what I would get.

Nora says:

My husband will love me and YOU even more than he already does if I make this for him.
    P.S. I was that weirdo that came up to you at TOFW in PA and couldn’t stop talking about how much I love you guys and your recipes and that I TELL EVERYONE about your cookbook and blog. Thanks for all the sacrifices you guys make to keep it all going. My family is forever indebted to you!