When I had my first baby, I kind of thought magical things would happen, like that food would magically appear and my laundry would magically do itself and I wouldn’t be sobbing over a Red Lobster commercial playing from the living room while I nursed my baby for the 10 millionth time that day in a dark room. Luckily, my oldest sister Holley came and rescued me and matched socks and cleaned my bathroom and filled my freezer with meals I could pop into the crock pot after she was gone. Seriously, if you’re ever wondering what you can do for a new mom, you can a) tell her that crying over Red Lobster commercials is totally not weird (even though it kind of is) and b) bring her freezer meals.

When I was getting ready to deliver my daughter, I neurotically cooked and planned and filled my own freezer with meals in the weeks before she was born. I also flew on a plane and went to a zoo when I was 34 weeks along…I feel a lot older this time around.

I kind of thought I’d do that this time. And I still have time. But oh, man, I’m so tired. And I have no room in my freezer. And I really need a freezer in my garage, but that would mean I’d have to clear out space in my garage to put a freezer and that sounds hard. So I’m hoping that telling you guys about how to adapt recipes to cook later, I’ll get overwhelmingly excited to stock my freezer with dinners and skip those 16 and Pregnant re-runs. I’m pretty sure making freezer meals would be way better for my mental health.

One quick thing–I’m talking a little about products that I’ve used and liked and that have worked for me. This post isn’t sponsored in any way. Ziploc, Gladware, Sharpies, and Hello Kitty are not doing me any favors besides being awesome.

Now…I’m not a freezer meal expert. There are blogs and books and people who do this all the time. However, I do do a lot of cooking and I’m going to share what’s worked for me and what hasn’t.

Some things to keep in mind:

• Pick recipes you’re going to eat. Duh, I know, but there’s nothing worse than something taking up space in your freezer that you’re never going to eat. Well, I guess there are a lot of worse things, but this isn’t a good thing.
  • This is just my personal opinion, but when it comes to slow cookers, I think the things that come out the best are things that need to be cooked for a long time, anyway. Soups, chilis, sauces, tough cuts of meat–those things are perfect for a slow cooker. Casseroles and lean cuts of meats like chicken breasts and pork tenderloin? There are other ways to use those in freezer meals, but cooking them alone in a slow cooker isn’t the tastiest way.
  • Many soups and sauces can be fully cooked, frozen, and then reheated on low in your slow cooker. This is a great way to do freezer cooking without getting super overwhelmed–just double the recipe, cook it through, and then freeze half of what you make for later.
  • You’ll often find cream of something soups in slow cooker recipes because they’re more stable and won’t curdle. The double-edged sword here? We have exactly one recipe in our collection of 600+ recipes that calls for cream of something soups. Also, it can be very tricky to freeze and heat milk and other dairy products without them curdling. So most of the recipes that I’m including/recommending are not milk based.
  • You know how the meatballs taste in Spaghetti-Os? Whenever I make meatballs in my slow cooker, that’s how they taste. I don’t know why. I don’t like it, so I’m not encouraging you to do that. However, if you love the taste of meatballs in your Spaghetti-Os, totally go for slow-cooking meatballs because everything else in that recipe is perfect for it.
  • When you have a stash of frozen meals in your freezer, keep a list somewhere handy of what you have and then cross them out as you cook them. Along with that, have a list of things you’ll need to go with the recipe when you make it–if you’re making sandwiches, make sure you have bread and cheese handy along with any side dishes you want to serve. This is especially handy if you’re sick or recovering from having a baby and need to send someone to the store; all you need to do is check your list and you’ll know exactly what you need.
  • After your package up whatever you make, use a permanent marker (I love my silver Sharpie for no other reason than it makes chili more glamorous) what it is, when you made it, and any directions you might need to remember right on the packaging. Try and eat whatever you make within three months, both for safety and taste reasons.

Supplies:

There are some supplies that will make your freezer-mealing life a little easier.

• When I stocked up before, I used those disposable Ziploc or Gladware containers, which work. However, they also take up a lot of space in your freezer. I think it’s easier to use heavy-duty freezer Ziploc (or generic) bags and then lay the bags flat in the freezer.

• There are some recipes that have more than one element–they may not all go into the slow cooker or oven at the same time. To keep everything together, you could use one of those big, fat rubber bands or you could use duct tape. If you’re feeling super fun, you could get that cute Hello Kitty duct tape and horrify your husband.

Now…to make life a little easier for you guys, I put together a mini cookbook of some of our favorite freezer recipes. If you use a PC, use this version and if you have a Mac, use this   version. It isn’t all of our freezer recipes–there are some here that I didn’t include. I’ve also adapted some of our recipes that weren’t freezer meals to be made ahead and cooked later. These recipes include the supplies you’ll need, things you’ll want to keep handy (like bread or cheese or pasta), and possible side dishes. You can print it out, stick it in protective sheets in a 3-ring binder, and refer to it when you need a few extra meals in your freezer. There are others I didn’t get to–I’d love to have a comprehensive list of all our meals that can be adapted to use as freezer meals, but I’d also love to take some Advil, witness world peace, and have 1.3 million dollars in my bank account. And meet Kyle Chandler. Please let me just run into Kyle Chandler and let it be a day that I did my hair and am not wearing yoga pants in public.

——->Click here for the PC printable freezer meal mini cookbook!<——-

——>Click here for the Mac or PC printable freezer meal mini cookbook! <——

Charlyn says:

I have 3 kids and I cook every day. I know how tired I am, so I can only imagine how tired you two are as you do all you do. Thanks for this informative post. I have been loving pinterest and all the recipes I have found there, but I have to say that your blog is on a completely different level than any I have seen. I love it and follow it faithfully!

Kine says:

Love your blog. Going to try the peanut and cilantro pesto with the skewers you recommended once I’m done with my last exam and got time to devote to cooking :) Only one week left!

Some of the recipes in the freezer cookbook looked really good, sadly I live in a country where a slow cooker is unheard of. The oven dishes, do you bake them directly from the freezer? Or defrost them first? (Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language)

I would have never guessed English is not first language! Your response was better written than most I see that don’t speak any language other than English.

Just bake them straight from the freezer! And you totally make sense–I never would have guessed that English isn’t your first language. :)

Jessica says:

I LOVE this post! When I had my first baby, I had no one around to help me and my husband and I were both clueless and completely overwhelmed. It’s a time that we still look back on and say “We should have been medicated!” At least we can laugh about it now, and at least we learned a LOT from the experience. Having meals made and in the freezer ahead of time is definitely one of the things we learned! The funny thing is, as many times as I’ve made freezer meals, I’ve never done ones that get cooked in the crockpot. How did I miss that genious idea all these years? Thanks for all you do!

I think so far we’ve only found one crock pot meal we enjoy (I’m totally with you on the chicken! I hate the texture it gets from the crock pot), but I’ll keep trying. Meanwhile I’d love to start making freezer meal to pop in the oven.

Kristen says:

I am so excited for this post. Our second baby is due in the next few weeks. I have already put a few things in the freezer, but I will definitely put this to good use. However, the titles of the recipes are not showing up when I pull it up. Any suggestions? (I have a Mac)

That is so weird because the same thing happened on my iPad. Oh, Mr. Jobs in heaven, can’t we all just get along?

I’ll work on formatting something for Mac users. In the meantime, send me an email and we can try a few things.

Rebecca says:

Thank you so much, Kate! This is a wonderful post!

Melanie Elwood says:

LOVE the mini freezer cookbook! Thanks!

Thanks for posting this! I am 8 months pregnant and need to start thinking about freezer meals. This came at the perfect time.

Alisa says:

Thank you for your freezer meal recipes and ideas. I love using freezer meals. Thank you also for your sense of humor. After laughing over your Tim Riggins brownies, I had to start watching Friday Night Lights. I’m sad that I’m almost all the way through them on Netflix. You had me smiling again with your Kyle Chandler picture and comments. I for one want to be Tammy Taylor (and not because of Kyle C.)- I love that character- and Kyle’s, too. FNL also made watching Battleship that much more fun!

Again, thank you for your humor and yummy recipes. It makes your readers’ day better! :)

Ellie says:

I’ve never seen your baked chicken-bacon alfredo recipe before and it looks awesome! I’m going to make it for dinner tonight and I’ll double it and put one in the freezer in your honor.

Just Jaime says:

Great tips! I’m pinning to remember

Carly says:

Oh, Coach Taylor. You handsome man. :).

My husband and I have just recently started watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix. We’re officially obsessed. We have about one month to finish all 76 episodes before the hubby starts grad school. With ad much as we stay up until like 2 in the morning devouring the episodes, I don’t think it’ll be a problem. Haha!

Oh yeah, this post was about freezer meals. Thanks for that too. I just got distracted by that handsome Panther coach.

Now, quit making our lives easier 3 times a week and take a nap. Or better yet, have a baby! :)

Summer says:

Thank you! I’ve just recently started thinking about what needs to get prepared to make life easier when our little one chooses to make his appearance. Freezing meals is up there on the list.

I laughed when I read about crying at commercials. It’s sooo true! For the first couple weeks, I was crying over everything. My husband was kind of worried about me.

Jana K says:

I love this!! Thanks!

Larissa says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! You just saved my life! I am due with my first baby (a girl!) on June 26 and my husband’s cooking repertoire is extremely limited. I have had bad luck freezing meals in the past, but hopefully with your recipes I can have success and not starve in between meals from the RS! :) Good luck with your upcoming delivery!

Wonderful post!! Although I am totally with you…I’m pregnant with number 3 and I’ve yet to stock my freezer in advance despite my best intentions. Maybe this time will be different?? But really, I’ll probably stock it with muffins/scones/ treats, not practical things like dinners!

Kara says:

Kate this post makes me happy. I did freezer meals when I was pregnant with Hannah, and it was AMAZING! I’m SO SO SO tired right now though, and if I’m not tired, then I hurt way too much to do anything awesome. I keep thinking about how awesome it was to have freezer meals, and how I want to do that again so badly. I’m glad you wrote this. Maybe having read it will motivate me to start making some in a couple weeks … here to hoping we both get some done. :)

Peggy says:

OH my goodness! I loved Kyle Chandler in Early Edition and had no idea he had been in anything aside from Super 8 (can you tell we lived in Alaska without TV for 5 years & still don’t have TV even though we are back in the lower 48????)

Freezer dinners…. I hang my head in shame because I used to be so good at this when our children were little but now that they are teenagers and we oh so need to make use of freezer meals because of my constant chauffeur status…. yeah who said life slows down when you have teens NEVER had kids!

So thank you for the trip down memory lane & the little nudge to get cooking again!! I know my forever hungry children will appreciate it!! Can I pat myself on the back as there has been some progress in this area??? We currently have a few rolls of homemade cookie dough in the freezer… not necessarily the most nutritious but our “boys” and their friends sure do appreciate it! Cookies at a moments notice… for how many??? Got it under control!!

Ailene says:

Based on your recipes, it appears your Guiltless Alfredo Sauce freezes well? That’s good to know (and I was wondering that recently). :)

I’ve never tried just freezing it by itself, but when it’s mixed in with other stuff like pasta and chicken, it seems to do well. I think the flour in both the pasta and the sauce helps stabilize things. Corn chowder, on the other hand… :)

Alisa says:

I’m really enjoying your blog, and… like the other Alisa above… I love FNL & get a big grin every time I catch you referencing the show! Thanks for the recipes & the smiles.

Heather H. says:

Amazing, love it!

Joy says:

This is great! I really need to go to my freezer and get rid of those “freezer meals” that I know we will never eat and are just taking up space. I love to bake extra meatballs in my oven and then freeze them in a ziplock bag. Then I just allow them to thaw and add them to my sauce right at cooking time. The taste is great that way! I have to agree with you about meatballs in the slow-cooker.

Shanda says:

There are no titles on the recipes :(

Cari says:

YAY! So excited about this, since your recipes are tops anyway. Now they will EASIER and tops. Having trouble with the titles too…

Lyndsay B says:

You are beyond awesome for this! I love doing freezer meals, but need some new ideas and this will totally help. Not to mention I am in the throes of morning sickness and using up all my freezer meals rather quickly, so these will be perfect for me to refill my freezer, as soon as I can stand to look at raw meat again, and get ready for a whole ‘nother reason I can’t cook (i.e. nursing and crying at Kleenex commercials – they’re my emotional downfall)!!

Heather says:

Thank you! thank you! thank you! I’m having my 2nd baby in December and have been thinking about how to stock my freezer with good food. My 1st one came early and I only had 2 weeks of Costco frozen meals on hand as backup and the rest was fast food desperation. This will save us from that torture. Thank you again!

Stephanie says:

Thanks so much Kate! I’ve already been freezing some of your recipes but to have more is a bonus :)

Stacey says:

Love the little cookbook! Thanks!

Heather says:

I love this, thank you so much! I am 19 weeks along and hope to put some meals together this summer before the baby’s arrival in October. I also have a lot of friends who are expecting and will keep this handy to make some meals for them.

Heather says:

P.S. I’d also love to meet Kyle Chandler. I’d probably speak to him with a fake southern drawl like Connie Britton’s in Friday Night Lights!

Mary-Michael says:

I am in awe over this post. Why have I never tried this before? I am dedicating my next free weekend to this. I use my crock pot a good amount but tend to rotate the same recipes and like you said, some stuff doesn’t come out that great. It would be so great to come home from work and not have to start from scratch with a meal. The perfectionist organizer in me is so excited!

Kelly Seaton says:

What a great little cookbook! Definitely one I’ll be adding to the pages of your book :) If you’re looking for even more ideas check out Once A Month Mom http://www.onceamonthmom.com they have traditional, whole food, vegetarian, gluten free dairy free, and diet menus! Tons of freezer friendly recipes and ideas.

Carrie says:

Kate, you are so funny. Your comment about Hello Kitty is not sponsoring your post made me laugh out loud! Thanks for all the great meal ideas. As usual, you don’t disappoint. :)

Love it! THANK YOU!! I love that you guys not only have great recipes, but you are also great, witty writers, so it’s fun to read your posts!

stephanie says:

Kate, wonderful SIL of mine, I can’t tell you how much I love you today. :) You just solved the biggest dilemma for me. Now I don’t have to try a bunch of questionable recipes on pinterest to get ready for this baby. I can use ones from here I KNOW I love! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Angela says:

This is just what I needed. Thank you so much!

Brianna says:

When I was pregnant I made a ton of freezer meals adapting from your site. I mainly made marinades- pull them out of the freezer to defrost and sit all day, then throw into a pan with a bag of frozen veggies. My favorites were the taco chicken (cook in the crock pot all day while making the other meals, shred and freeze for enchiladas) asian chicken marinade (just toss on the skillet after it’s defrosted with some frozen veggies and ramen noodles) ground beef (cook and season, then pull out of the freezer for burritos, tacos or sloppy joes) and pulled pork. I also tried some freezer breakfasts and they were good the first week or so, but after that the eggs got funky. I like my freezer meals to be half the meal. I don’t really like the meals where you put everything in a pan and freeze it- I think it makes the veggies have a funny texture and as you said, the cream sometimes curdles funny. I have found that marinades are really the best way to go to get what I want. I love making curry dijon chicken so I throw it all in a ziplock and pop it in the freezer til the day I need it. Pull it out and it marinates all day, cooks really easily in the oven, and I serve it with a side of your yummy coconut rice and some squash or green beans. (I’m very passionate about freezer meals :) can you tell?)

Brianna says:

I cook the pulled pork during the day in my pressure cooker (only takes an hour) then shred and freeze.You can do that with your Mexican shredded pork.

Kylee says:

This is FABULOUS!! I am 4 months pregnant with my first baby, and I am a full time school teacher. I was thinking this summer I needed to get everything in gear for when this little bundle shows up this Fall, but had no idea how to prepare ahead of time for FOOD! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!! Just what I needed!! :)

Corene says:

I totally second Carly’s comment. My husband and I just started (as in 2 weeks ago) FNL and we’re on season 4. Hooked.

Thanks for the tutorial!! Time to nest…

Jordan says:

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I am weeks away from delivering my first baby so maybe I will stock up my deep freezer with some of these. If only I wasn’t so tired…

Qwendy says:

Thank you so much! And the duct tape is GENIUS!!! Normally, I use a rubber band, but when they get cold, they tend to break.

We grill a lot at our house. My favorite thing to do is to buy fresh chicken or beef and freeze them in the bag with the marinade. Also, for freezer meals… I love my foodsaver.

Oh, And when I make the Mexican sweet pork (Cafe Rio inspired), I freeze the leftover pork to use for another meal. I do the same with pot roast, and we use it to make taquitos or burrito fillings. I don’t put in the crockpot, I just set it the frozen packet on the counter in the morning and by dinner it’s thawed and I toss it in the microwave to heat.

Julie says:

Bless you. I was looking up freezer meals just yesterday in preparation for a no-children, no-husband trip I am taking in a few weeks. I love your site and cookbook and have learned so much about cooking from you and Sara. Thanks again.

Melissa Meacham says:

I love freezer meals! But I’ve made what I think my family and I will eat out of my cookbook and have gotten bored. So thank you for some new ideas. And the giggles as I read your post were an AWESOME way to start my day. Thanks!

Elisabeth says:

I did a bunch of freezer meals for the birth of my second baby and it was a lifesaver! I’m excited to try these ones!

Sarah says:

This is fantastic! I am also expecting my third (due in August) and I absolutely know what you mean about being exhausted. On top of that, my husband is a full- time student and we have to move in July. My plan is to stock up my freezer as soon as we get to the new house and then do little to no cooking until September. This will help tremendously! Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing. You’re fantastic! Good luck. :)

Beth says:

Thanks for the great recipes! As a mom of four I appreciate being able to serve a home cooked meal. Your Baked Potato Soup was my go to recipe this past winter. Quick and easy, I cheated by using Aldi’s bacon bits!

Andrea says:

Kate-

did you hear rumors of a FNL movie? more kyle chandler and riggins :)

Great post, need to stock up on this stuff. Even staying home with 2 little ones, it’s nice to have meals for days I just don’t have time to cook!

Marti says:

I’m having a baby in September. Last time I had a baby I made a bunch of freezer meals from a book & most of them were super gross for one reason or another. You seriously just saved my life!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Michelle says:

You are amazing! This is going to be so helpful with the next baby. Thanks for this post.

This is perfect. Just yesterday I was making a list of meals to make for the next baby. It will be great to add some new ones to our list.

Jesse says:

You really are amazing…how did you know I have been reading “America’s Cheapest Family” and trying to figure out how to buy food when it’s cheapest and then freeze it, and better yet, make a meal out of it and freeze it again. This post is perfect timing for my current motivation. Thank you and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Patti says:

My li’l ol’ heart did a flutter when I saw Kyle’s picture just sitting there in all his gorgeousness. I was looking for the “click here” button to magically have him appear in person in my den. Couldn’t find one.
    I wish you’d posted this before I took a two-week cruise to the British Isles so those who were left at home wouldn’t have been reduced to just eating Oreo’s while I was gone. Oh well. Looks like I’ll just have to plan another trip!

Amanda says:

This came at the perfect time. We our having our first baby in December & since my husband travels all the time, this would be perfect so I am not trying to put some food together while “daywalking” due to lack of sleep. This has enough variety to keep it interesting. THANK YOU FOR BEING AWESOME!

Susan says:

Thank goodness I’m not the only one that thinks chicken is not good in the crockpot…in fact, I have recently said to anyone that would listen, that I think everything comes out mushy and tastes the same…can’t wait to try your stuff!!

Rose says:

Thanks so much for this. I have one question, though. I want to try the apple butter pork chops, but my daughter is allergic to mustard. I leave it out of some recipes, but this is a decent amount. Any ideas for a sub?

Nika says:

A HUGE thank you from a 32 week pregnant fan! Wait, I don’t think I should use the word ‘huge’ and pregnant in the same sentence, isn’t that grammaticaly incorrect or something? :)

Barb Mc says:

I can’t get anything to come up! The links aren’t working. Ideas?

Laura A says:

My sister and I spent 4 hours today prepping freezer meals for my brother and girlfriend who are expecting my niece to arrive in a few weeks!

Teresa says:

I just started a meal exchange group, and we’re loving having meals in our freezer ready to cook for our families. We’re learning together what works best for us, but the general ideas are outlined here: http://makeaheadmagic.blogspot.com It’s by no means a professional blog, but it works for us.

Katz says:

I use Ziplock Freezer Bags too. They hold up well, are easy to suck the air from (no – don’t ask how stupid I look with a straw stuck in the bag, and sucking my brains out!!) And they take up far less space than “containers”. Wrapping in aluminum foil has NEVER worked out well for me – always wind up with freezer burn and I HATE wasting food!!!

Barbara says:

We all have different reasons for needing MMREs. (Mom’s Meals, Ready To Eat) I have needed them at many various stages in my life (would you believe I delivered them weekly to a son in college?) and now I need them again, but I want something new so I’m ready to research what you have offered. No more babies, no more in-and-out through the revolving door kids. Now I’m going to be 70 this year and I need reconstructive surgery on both thumbs. I kid you not. It’s called a CMC arthroplasty and it comes from a lifetime of peeling potatoes, planting and maintaining lawns and gardens, 22 Mt. Vesuvius-sized laundry piles, vacuuming forever, one degree in nursing,three active sons, grandchild rescue, one active husband, and lots of needlework guilds. If I don’t have many, many freezer meals on hand when I have surgery I will starve to death. Really and truly. Hubs can’t find the kitchen and no one would want him to cook. I am off to discover the magic meals you offer that await coming to life in my slow cooker. The thing is, I would rather do meals in jars, as in pressure canning. No freezer, no high electric bill, no waiting. Besides, it is now hurricane season in Florida, and we lose electricity for up to a week at a time when a big blow hits. Got anything in that department?

Barbara says:

Oh – and Kate? Kyle’s cute, but men are just more trouble. Move on. It isn’t worth it.

Angie says:

Haha, this was an awesome post! Thank you for it. I can’t wait to try some of those freezer meals. And I’m glad I’m not the only mom living her yoga pants. =)

Emily Muir says:

7 months pregnant with my third, and you totally read my mind, I just didn’t know where to start with making freezer meals. Oh, and my craving? I’m talking CRAVING…….fresh squeezed lemonade, your recipe is the best. I go through a few gallons a week, not even kidding. Thanks for the post, good luck with your pregnancy.

Bonnie says:

Perfect! I’m 34 weeks along and this was on my list of things to do next week! You just made my life so much easier!!

Morgan says:

love this post! i laughed out loud at some of the things you said. Doesn’t it seem like you always run into people you’d like to impress in yoga pants with bad hair?! It’s like a big cosmic joke. plus, if i use hello kitty duct tape to tape my kids’ mouths shut will that make it seem less like child abuse?

Karin says:

Thank you! Not having a baby but do run two boys around to activities constantly , so having a healthy meal ready to go is super great. I wasn’t completely sure what would freeze well, and really didn’t want to experiment. Thanks!

Thank your for such a sweet gift! I am excited to make some freezer meals for the fall and your recipes sound divine! Thank you for your efforts!

Hannah says:

This is seriously awesome! How many times have I searched for freezer meals and not made any because I was too afraid that they would taste awful? Too many. But, if it’s one of your recipes I’m pretty much guaranteed that it’s going to taste great. Thank you!

Jessie K says:

Thanks for this awesome resource! I’ve also made your recipes for red beans and rice and “faux-tisserie” chicken as freezer meals a couple of times now and they are always SO delicious! :)

Heather says:

Thank you! Like so many other people who have been commenting, I am expecting too. I am with you on the tired, this is baby #4 and I have been exhausted beyond belief. I mean Bertoli, Pasta Roni, uh waffle mix waffles, cereal for dinner… you get the picture. I was hoping at some point that nesting instinct (uh or the my-life-is-over-for-the-next-year instinct) would kick in and I could accomplish all I want to do, but who knows if that will happen huh?
    BTW. I know you probably have to say it as a CYA measure, but in case anyone is wondering, I have eaten freezer meals 1+ yrs later and they have been fine. I think as long as it does not sit in fridge too, it is fine.
    Anywho, Love the freezer meal ideas, I will be making some of them!

Andrea says:

Thanks for the great post! My little sister just had her first baby, and you inspired me to make a few freezer meals for her! So much easier with your little “cookbook”!

Casey says:

WOW!! Thank you sooo much for the mini cookbook! I have seen a lot of posts about freezer meals but these actually sound good. I can’t wait to try them! And I also want to thank you for doing the pdf so I can print it and easily add it to my recipe book.

Susan Bewley says:

These actually sound very good. I have always been scared to try making my own freezer meals. I may give it a try.

Budget Earth – Ultra Yummy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe

Kristen H says:

Freezer meals are my favorites when I know I am going to be having a hectic day (in reality which day isn’t hectic!). I actually have a group of friends and we meet once a month to do a swap of meals!! It is definitely nice to have new recipes to try out.
    I would suggest, to those that are trying this for the first time, whenever you use pasta in freezer meals it is best to under cook your pasta just a little when you cook them the first time. If you cook them all the way, freeze them, and then recook them they will often get soggy and overcooked.

Kathy says:

I LOVE this post. I’m due with my third in November and was just thinking that after summer I should start on freezer meals. I bookmarked this post to come back to!

Shelley says:

your recipes do not specify whether to first thaw the meals before cooking. Should I just put them in the oven/crockpot straight from the freezer?

Thanks for all these great recipes!

Kimiko says:

I love this post, so thank you for sharing your tips and recipes. I especially love the mini cookbook. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with so many recipes, so the cookbook is a nice way to introduce freezer meals without being too intimidating!

Amy says:

Oh my gosh I can totally relate! I’m due this August and definitely want to fill my freezer with meals this time around. I didn’t with our first child and while we made out fine, home cooked meals are soooo much better than anything you buy in the store. And there’s a toddler to feed this time as well! My freezer also needs a good clean out and it’s moving upstairs to our garage – once it’s built. Which, with any luck, will be before this baby graces us with it’s presence! Thank you so much for all your hard work to put the cookbook together! Good luck!

Sara w says:

Me too! I’m due next Sunday with babe #3…we got our freezer for the garage delivered yesterday and now I’ve downloaded the mini cookbook onto my iPad…which is awesome because with iCloud I can access it on my iPhone at the grocery store! Nesting is in full force! :)…and we totally had to clear space as well…we ordered a tuff shed for the side yard the same day we ordered the freezer :) happy freezing and hope your labor goes smoothly!

Stacy says:

Thanks for this list. I am pregnant with our third and due the end of November. Not only is it a busy time because of a newborn….it’s also the holidays. So, I am so planning on doing some freezer cooking for that time! My 2nd daughter cannot have milk (lactose problem), so I really appreciate some non-milk recipes. A lot of freezer meals have cream of soups or cheese. I’m so thankful for this list of recipes. Thanks again!

Amy says:

Thank you for this very timely post! I was just hopped on your blog to find some freezer meals. I’m due with BAby #3 in 10 weeks, so your timing is perfect! I was expecting to have to print a bunch of individual recipes, so I’m forever greatful for this collection. :)

Sarah Jones says:

I know this is late, but I want to thank you for mostly the last paragraph (and the meals) Advil! Doing hair and of course yoga pants! I laughed out loud and am expecting my fifth in less than 2 weeks. I am hot grumpy and can’t wait to hurry along with all of these meals. Thanks again!

Heather says:

Brilliant!!! We’re expecting our second baby in December. The one recipe I won’t skip is Peter’s lasagna (LOVE it). It will be great on those evenings when we have extra guests that can just pop it into the oven!

Marie says:

Thanks so much for posting these–I have linked to it on my website. The mini-cookbook is fantastic!

Jenn Combs says:

I don’t think I have ever been so excited to see a post for freezer meals. I am due in Oct and I have been looking for this. I want to have a months worth of dinners for after the baby is here so I don’t have to worry about dinner and I can est as much as possible.

Lisa says:

Question- some of the meals have two seperate bags that you place togehter and freeze, when it comes time to cook both things are placed in slow cooker …so why bag separately in first place? just curious, thank you, receipes look so yummy ,can’t wait ti try theM:)

Dana says:

I am really enjoying your website, I stumbled upon you. :o) Most of the recipes are great and I will be trying them for sure. Freezer meals are Great for anyone, not just those that are awaiting babies, but for me I work and get home and cant decide what to cook, it would be great to go the freezer and have it done and ready to go into the oven and or crockpot. Thank you again for your website.

Kellyann says:

I’m a little sad that your freezer cookbook has not one vegetarian recipe. Oh well. The world would be a bit kinder without eating animals, but maybe that’s just me.
    Your apple pies in a jar are super nice though.

DianeMargaret says:

You know, it never REALLY occurred to me to make full MEALS to freeze, until recently!!! I was wondering through the library during one of my “Mommy Time” sessions (I get 2 – 3 hours, every Tuesday for SANITY’s sake!), and found a book called “Don’t Panic, Dinner’s in the Freezer!”. It was a revelation!
    I have always just spent an entire weekend, twice a year, chopping veg for the freezer! Onions, leeks, green onions, celery and carrots, mostly. I just chuck them in a gallon bag & break off how ever big a chunk I need to make my meal.
    I have NO idea why it didn’t occur to me to make the ACTUAL MEAL and freeze it!!! This cook, hangs her head in shame!
    Thanks for giving me more recipes to try!!!

This is the best idea, although I don’t have any children. I visit teach someone who recently found out she was pregnant with her first and the symptoms are knocking her out. I always think “I should bring her a meal to freeze.” But get overwhelmed with what would be good frozen. This helped a ton and I will now be VT of the year! :)

Brianne says:

I have not yet clicked on your cookbook links above because I had to take a second to to say GOD BLESS YOU!!! Thank you for taking the time to put this together to such a detailed degree. Some of us get totally overwhelmed with details and then you show up to save the day. Thank you for using the superpowers God gave you to bless us so we can take that blessing to our friends. May God continue to bless you with this blog. Now go take some Advil and soak in the tub tonight. You’ve earned it!

Saffie says:

Kyle chandler’s great. But I”m in crush with Anthony Lemke :)

Jill says:

This may be the most stupid question ever, but when you go to cook a freezer meal that’s been in the freezer for weeks or months, do you need to FIRST THAW it in the fridge for 12-24 hours? Or are freezer meals really meant to go straight from freezer to oven?
    Thanks!

Nicole says:

I cant get the PDF cookbooks to open or save to my PC :-(

Regina says:

Great recipes. I have a deep freezer and will start preparing more meals in advanced. I usually use the deep freezer for storing meets but not entire meals. That’s just something I learned from growing up in Louisiana. Thanks!

Aubrey says:

Finding this may or may not have just saved my life. First baby is due in a month, and though everyone has been telling me to make freezer meals I had no idea where to begin doing that. Now, if only I had the freezer space to actually do it…may have to make a bunch and then take them to both parents to put in their freezers and have them run me over a few days supply at a time.