Need a last minute idea for some Poppa’s in your life?  I thought I’d bring back this popular printable from last year.  Have a good weekend!

My Tin Can Treats were so popular for Mother’s Day, I figured it was only fair to include the Dads too!  If you missed the Mother’s Day edition, click here to see the full tutorial. Basically, you are removing the bottom of a tab-top tin can, emptying and cleaning it, and then filling it with treats and goodies.  After you attach the bottom of the can again, you can cover it with cute paper and festive adornments.  It’s a perfect little gift for giving, and everyone will be surprised to see a personalized gift inside!

Good news; I bought a new can opener.  Exciting, right?!  This style of safety can opener works so much better than a traditional one, but either works.

I had my husband at the store with me when I was stocking up on can-stuffers for this post.  I grabbed some mini candy bars and when I moved onto the gourmet chocolate, he rolled his eyes and told me I was thinking like a girl.

Ah, man food.  Good idea.  I’ll save the Lindor Balls for myself.

For my Mother’s Day cans I used the small 7-8 ounce cans.  I decided to man-size the Dad version.  In case you’re wondering, a bag of corn nuts fits perfectly in a normal soup-size can.   Who knew?  You can also fit quite a bit fun-sized candy bars in there too.

If you use the can opener I have pictured, the bottom really attaches back on seamlessly.

Check out your local craft store for fun papers; you’ll be surprised at how many great guy-themed papers you can find.  I’ve got tools, sports, bbq, etc.  You’ll use this to wrap around the outside of the can.

Now, you might find that a lot of the larger cans have writing and pictures on the tops (because apparently one needs graphics and descriptions to figure out how to open a tin can with a pull tab…)  Pineapple cans are an especially nice size.  They’re larger than a Campbells soup can, but not huge.  However, they almost always have the text on the top.

To cover that up, just use the top of your can to trace a circle on your paper.  When you’re cutting it out, just cut it a little smaller than the circle you’ve drawn so it will fit.  You’ll have to cut off one edge as I’ve shown below in order for it to slide in.

Then you can tie on ribbons, etc.

Now, the tags!
I have a few different versions and sizes and you can download
them all at the end of this post.

One says, “A Pop-Top for a Top Pop!”  I made these in mini, for the small 7oz cans (the ones I used for the Mother’s Day cans) and I did a larger version of that same one (for a normal soup size can) that includes a “To” and “From”.  I tried to leave a little room at the bottom of all the tags so you sign your name if you wanted to.

You can’t go wrong with a sports theme!
And see that handwriting font where it says “Happy Father’s Day”? It’s mine!

As I was putting corn nuts in one can and caramel corn in another-I thought of another tag I needed to make!

“A Corny Treat for One Sweet Pop!”  An ode to my own Father who is king of corny puns :)  We have so many great popcorn treats that would be perfect for this tag.  Try:
Traditional Caramel Corn
Cinnamon Bun Caramel Corn
Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn
Fruity Candy Popcorn

Put the popcorn in a plastic bag first to keep it fresh and to avoid it taking on any flavor/odor left in your can.  And remember my note in the original tin can post- make sure to use cans that contained things like fruits and juices and not chili and stews!

So there you have it.  Get crafty for your favorite Pop!

Free Printable Tag Downloads (Click on Links Below):

Father’s Day Tin Can Labels_Top Pop for Large Cans
Father’s Day Tin Can Labels: Top Pop for Small Cans
Father’s Day Tin Can Labels: A Corny Treat for One Sweet Pop for Large Cans

janiece says:

What a CUTE idea…I have been trying to think of something fun for my son’s birthday…I believe that is it!!
    Thank you!

Christy says:

Love it! The Top Pop one is so clever! We did 3 teacher appreciation cans and they were a big hit!

Thanks for posting such a creative gift idea!

karenkay says:

Thank you…..such a great idea!

Such a clever, fun idea!

Paula says:

Go Boise State! Love the idea! Thanks!

Delina says:

That is just too cute!! Thank you so much for sharing this AWESOME idea!!! Can’t wait to start making these!!!

Delina
    dewthis.blogspot.com

Perfect! I was thinking about making my hubby some of your fortune cookies for father’s day but wasn’t sure how I would package them. I think I will try this.

Kim Hansen says:

I love these. We did these for a YW activity and both the girls AND their mother’s loved them. Can’t wait to make these for Father’s Day. These would also be a great idea for party favors for a birthday. Thank You!

Heather says:

these are SO cute! Please come to Northern California to sign your book!!

Tiffany says:

I just finished making about a dozen of these. LOVE the idea. You can see mine here: http://tiffcreativeoutlet.blogspot.com/2011/06/treat-cans.html if you’d like.

Carrie says:

so fun! thanks for the idea!

Kelsey says:

Like always, you come to my rescue. I was blanking on what to do for Father’s Day. You win the ‘saving Kelsey’s life’ award once again!

Marne says:

thanks for doing a BSU one. perfect!

April says:

I was hoping you’d bring the sun with you! Hopefully I can make it in to see you. Love the printables! Definitely using them.

Adrienne says:

Thanks for the good ideas and the printables. I made some for teacher appreciation gifts and they were a hit. I spray painted the tops and bottoms of the cans to match the paper I was using. That took care of the writing on top of the cans and they looked great!

Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing! I am sad I am going to miss you while you are here for signings in Seattle, but I have a crazy weekend…maybe during your next cook book’s tour :)

Awesome idea for Father’s Day! Thanks for sharing!

What great ideas!!! My husband would love these. Thanks for sharing :)

Melissa says:

Great idea – thanks! :) And how cool that you have your own font!! I love the little doodles too. ;)

Kathy says:

Thanks for sharing! I love to read your post…you are both so funny! :)

Danna says:

I was born and raised in Seattle (40+ years there). Moved to Phoenix last year. Odds are the sun won’t be out consistantly until the 5th of July…..Sorry.

Kim in Idaho says:

Thanks, these are so fun! Oh, and I love your handwriting, wished mine was as cute as yours. :)

linda says:

You’ve hit the mark….cleaver girl….thanks for all your ideas and recipes…

linda says:

by the by…just thought i’d add, this would be great for the sisters we VT!!! What a suprise…somehow we could tie in the Gospel and the monthly message…Outstanding girlie girl…just outstanding…thanks again…

Jan says:

So do we need a “safety” can opener for this; and what keeps the bottom lid attached exactly? Thanks!

Suzin says:

I wondered the same thing too. She explains how to reattach in the Mother’s day edition. There is a link in the top portion of this article. The safety can opener is a definite plus for this craft.

Cori says:

Another though, Home Depot or Lowes sells empty silver paint cans, you could decorate those for more storage and the lid pops off!

Marcie D says:

When I did this project for Teacher appreciation I used the safty can opener because that was all I had. I, too, loved how well the lid came off and how I could reseal it with super glue and none would be the wiser. Thanks for more tags and ideas for uses. I think these cans are tops!

Patti says:

Thanks for the hint on the super glue when using the safety can opener. Sounds like the perfect solution. (I tried using the safety can opener and hot glue after the mother’s day edition and it was a mess. Obviously, I’m not as glue-gun savvy as Sara).

Brittany says:

These are so fun! My dad would think I was a genius!

JUlie says:

Thanks so much….I madesome for a friend’s birthday and tied balloons to the pull tab!

Beth says:

After seeing you Mother’s Day Tin Can Treats I had already decided to make one for my Dad and my husband for Father’s Day. This is the cutest idea. Thanks for including the free printable tags.

Kelsey says:

How did you make your own font? That is awesome! Maybe that could be a tutorial or a “how to…” ;)

I didn’t do it! My friend Amanda from the blog kevinandamanda.com does custom handwriting fonts and she asked if she could do mine. I was thrilled, it’s so fun!

Diana B says:

This is PERFECT!! We’re having a baby and I’m going to be in the hospital for Father’s Day and have been desperately trying to think of gifts I could leave for my husband that he could find on Father’s Day since I won’t be there to give it to him, and these are perfect!! I can fill them with candy and snacks for the hospital and just to say I love you!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

leslie says:

Those are totally adorable!

Marielle says:

BOISE STATE!!

Hailey says:

I love these. My husband is currently deployed and we have made a bunch of different variations on these and sent to him in his care packages. It’s a nice way to include a little treat but not take up to much room in the box (they are not that big)

Megan says:

That’s what I was thinking! My husband’s little brother just left. I’m soooo making some of these!

Heidi says:

This is a great idea!!! I need some help though!! I just went through my cupboard and realized I have no “Pop Top” cans. What can I buy that has the pop tops???

lynne says:

What brand is the safety can opener?

Martha says:

Is there a way to print out your recipes on one page or index card form. Want to take a recipe with me in our RV to make later.

Megan says:

This is fantastic! My little brother just left to Iraq, guess who’s getting some fun treats!

Thanks so much for the idea. I linked your ideas to my blog today. Stop on by and check it out.

Kerrie says:

Way cute idea!

AnalogGirl says:

What a clever way to package some of Dad’s favorite treats! I am linking to your post on my blog http://analoglovesdigital.blogspot.com/2011/06/20-fabulous-fathers-day-gift-ideas.html

Marie says:

We made these for preschool today. The kids loved it and the mom’s thought it was such a good idea. I love all your creative ideas, keep them coming!

Catrina says:

Thanks for the idea! I used the Tool add that i found in my sunday paper for my dad & the funnie paper for my husband!

Vicki says:

Made these for Father’s Day AND teacher’s gifts! Wonderful idea! Also works great when using the can opener in the photo. Well worth the $15 when the gifts are so inexpensive and can be given for so many things.

Alyssa Conte says:

That is such a great idea and wonderful gift for any occasion.! :)

Momofthree says:

Great idea! Did these with my kids tonight. I couldn’t find any fruit cans and had to go with a soup can and my 5yo printed out our labels. My hubby will love them!

dianne davis says:

Love this project, I’m always trying to find things that my 13 grandbabies can do(price does make a difference when you also have ex daughter-in-laws, & their new spouses, etc…). I can start now, & maybe by Christmas… I will have enough cans & stuff to do 30-50 cans(could this be more a wish than reality??? ;) TFS
    I was unable to print any of the labels, not sure why.

Megan says:

Awesome idea! I used it for Father’s Day and had my kids put on pictures they colored from http://www.thecolor.com/Category/Coloring/Fathers%20Day.aspx filled it with their dad’s favorite treat and their dad loved it.

Katie P. says:

I love this idea! I did the same one for Mother’s Day with your other tutorial! Thanks so much!

Erin says:

This is perfect for my husband who designs cans!!!

Emily Duckett says:

Love the BSU paper….gotta love Bronco Nation!!

Jenn says:

I used that same can opener for the Mother’s Day ones I made last year and it worked so great. I love the corny labels – my hubby is an especially corny joker, so he’ll love this. Now I’ll just have to make this AND bacon flowers. :-D

auntiepatch says:

A sweet pop for a sweet pop?

Love this idea! Fun project to do with kids!

How fun – love this idea!

Dondi Allison says:

I learned to do this at a Pampered Chef party. You can roll up a tee-shirt and they fit nicely as well. My daughter used these as party favors for one of her birthday sleep-overs and the girls all loved them.

Sara J says:

Sara where did you get the can opener? I only have the kind that cuts in and it creates jagged edges…I guess it might be time to get a new one, aye?!

I just picked it up at Target, most normal stores these days will have that style near the other can openers. If not, you can always find it on Amazon!

Holly says:

Fun idea, thanks!My kids call my dad “Poppop” so a pop top for Poppop will be perfect! I am too late this year to get these in the mail to my dad but will save your idea for another time. Thanks!!

Elizabeth says:

These are adorable!

Mark Petersen says:

Sara,

The only thing you have ever done to disappoint me was when you used Boise State printables in a post. That being said, you’ve done well.

Lol Mark- Just so you know, it hurt me a little bit inside to do that! I live in Bronco country and that was the ONLY sports paper I could find! If it makes you feel better, my blood runs blue- but it’s BYU blue!

[...] Father’s Day Tin Can Treat Printables – Our Best Bites [...]

[...] Fathers day tin can treats [...]

[...]  3. Tie Key Chain  4. Father’s Day Craft Ties  5.  Daddy’s Car Wash Bucket  6.  Father’s Day Snack Tin  7. Popsicle Stick Frame  8. Handmade Art  9. Best Dad Trophy  10. Handprint Art for Dad  11. [...]

Love it! You were featured in our Father’s Day Round-up today!

Thanks for sharing your darling printable!

[...] seen this idea of putting treats in a pop-top can before, and I love it. Such an easy, clever thing to [...]

So cute and clever, love the saying!!!! found you via Pinterest and had to repin!!!

Mandy
    Small Fine Print

[…] Tin Can Treats – I don’t know about your dad, but my dad is kind of a dorky dude. I figure this is the […]

[…] See how you can make one here… […]

[…] 93. make dad a pull tab can filled with his favourite treats from Our Best Bites […]

[…] Pop-Top Tin Cans Open the bottom of any pop-top can with a can opener, fill it with treats, and glue it back on. […]