I have reached that point. The point beyond guilt and the point where I have accepted my feelings: I am ready for school to start. I suspect lots of other moms have reached that point, too, because school uniforms are quickly disappearing at the stores and I couldn’t find a bottle of Elmer’s glue the other day to save my life.

I seriously love my kids, but, while having a baby in the middle of the summer has some advantages, it also leads to us watching lots Phineas and Ferb (who, by the way, have WAY more exciting summers than we do at our house) and my kids finding ways to entertain themselves while I nurse a baby for the fifty-millionth time that day, all of which contribute to my Mommy Guilt.

So this is for everyone else who has arrived at that point (and those of you who haven’t)–a fun little treat you can make with your kids and not feel terrible about feeding them. My kids loved the frozen bananas (“There’s always money in the banana stand…”) even though neither one of them are huge fans of bananas on their own.

You’ll need fruit that freezes well (I used bananas, pineapple, and kiwi), Homemade Magic Shell, and the sticks you use for cake pops or suckers.

If you want, you can also roll the finished fruit pops in dried fruit, candy, or chopped nuts, so you can have those on hand, too–I used toffee bits, coconut, and chopped macadamia nuts.

Slice the fruit into 1/2″-3/4″ slices. If desired, use a biscuit or cookie cutter to cut into uniform shapes.

Insert a stick into the fruit and place on a lined baking sheet.

Freeze until fruit is solid.

When the fruit is completely frozen, dip it in the chocolate dip. Shake or twirl to remove excess.

Quickly dip or roll in toppings

and allow to harden. Eat immediately or freeze until ready to eat.

Melody says:

Always money in the banana stand ;) Great post! Thanks

CrystalLee says:

Cute Cute Cute! Can you add the link to the post you had on the homemade magic shell?

Kari says:

I’ve looked at and loved your website for years, but never made a comment. But felt like the time was right when you quoted Arrested Development! love it!

April says:

I’m right there with you, Kari! I love OBB more now that there is an Arrested Development quote involved!

Jeannette says:

Totally understand the mommy guilt!! We’re in the same boat–new summer baby and four other wiggle worms to entertain at home….. Thanks for the fun idea!

Cassidy says:

These are so cute! I totally understand, I had a baby in May , his name is William too:), and I reached the point of being ready for school to start last week! With the heat and nursing, trying to wear out my older kiddos has become quite a chore, maybe we will make Popsicles!;)

gina says:

YUM! YUM! YUM!
    Thanks!

Deirdre says:

Oh la la! Thanks for the tips…

These look so amazing. I love chocolate covered fruit so much! I actually just made my own magic shell and have some leftover, so I need to make this!

Mary says:

Is that a Velata (by Scentsy) chocolate warmer? How clever!

garysgirl says:

Yummmmmm!!!! I want one! What a cool idea, Kate!

Denise says:

What did you melt the chocolate in ? This looks so easy, fun and perfect for a fun treat or snack for company !

Laura says:

Maybe I can get my kids to finally eat some fruit with this trick :) Looks cute and yummy!

Donna says:

I miss that show.

carrian says:

Pretty sure my little ones and I need to make these. Yup, done.

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it, thanks for sharing!

Hannah Shaw says:

What a great idea!!! Plus, everyone knows that if fruit is involved, the calories don’t count. ;) I’ll be making these tonight!

Your my hero! My kids will love this!

Kristen McKinnon says:

I am seriously at that point. I am about ready to pay for my kids to go back to school. I have a boy and girl (my oldest 2) that can’t get along to save their lives. These not only look delicious but something that maybe my Perfectionist self may be able to let the kids help with. Thanks for the great idea!

Jenn H says:

How do you store these to be frozen? I’m making them for my son’s 2nd birthday party and would like to make them ahead of time. Thanks!!!