Remember the time I didn’t plant a garden?  And then I got sad in August when everyone else seemed to have yummy produce coming out of their ears and I had to actually buy tomatoes at the grocery store?  Well lucky for me, I have super awesome friends and neighbors who have been sharing.  We spent this past weekend at our cabin in the mountains and as we were heading out the door to go there, a friend of mine dropped off an enormous load of fresh-picked, locally grown corn on the cob.  We were gone for a couple of days and when we got back, I had a bag from another friend full of all kinds of garden goodies, like cucumbers, squash, and lots of sweet little tomatoes.  I’m just as happy with random veggie-drop-offs as I am with random cookie-drop-offs!  I wanted to use up all of this fresh stuff before it went bad and I immediately thought of soup.  A while back, there was a recipe for roasted corn soup in a Williams-Sonoma catalog, from cooking duo the Sussman Brothers.  It sounded really great, but included a few too many steps for my brain to really want to make it.  It also included a lot of heavy cream- which normally makes my brain want to make things, but since I’m currently trying to stick to a healthy diet while attempting to shed all of the pounds I gained writing a cook book, that turned me off as well.  So I took the same concept and re-worked it a little and came up with something that tasted rich, creamy, and amazing (and it comes in at only 168 calories per serving!)  Read on, my friends.

The base of this soup is sweet, fresh corn.  You’ll need about 4 ears.

You can use any variety of garden tomatoes here.  Little ones work the best, but if you happen to have large tomatoes in your garden, just quarter them before roasting and you’ll be good to go.  You can buy 10 ounce containers of cherry tomatoes in the grocery store and those work great, too.  I’m using a few red ones from the grocery store and a few of these little orange cutie-pies that my friend brought over.

You’ll need to remove the corn from the corn cobs.  Here’s a super old post with horrible photos post that shows my favorite way to do it (meaning, the one way where I don’t end up with corn shooting violently all over my kitchen as I slice…)

Toss the corn and tomatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet (the foil is simply for easy clean up; you can skip that step if you love scrubbing roasted vegetable gunk off of metal pans) and then we’ll add a bunch of chopped garlic, a light sprinkling of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and a little drizzle of olive oil.

The oven then does magical things as the veggies roast and caramelize and release natural sugars.  Your house will smell amazing.

While those are doing their thing in the oven, heat up a stock pot to medium high heat.  Add a little olive oil and some diced onion.

I wanted the smoky sweetness of fire-roasted bell peppers, but I really didn’t want to take the time to roast one myself, so I use a jar since it’s something I almost always have in my pantry.  If you want to roast your own bell pepper, just take a look at this tutorial.  An 8-ounce jar is equivalent to about 1 medium sized bell pepper.

Just give them a rough dice before you toss them in the pot.

Bonus points for anyone who noticed the bell peppers are in the shape of a baby elephant before I mentioned it.  I know.  Awesome.

The two seasonings that will give a ton of flavor to our roasted veggies are chipotle chili powder and smoked paprika.  Both go beautifully with corn and tomatoes and are a perfect compliment to this flavor profile.  Since we’re making soup here, we definitely need some broth.  Use chicken broth, unless you need to make this vegetarian and you can experiment with vegetable broth.  When given the choice of the two however, I’ll always go with chicken broth since it has a lot more flavor.

Take the corn and tomatoes out of the oven when your tomatoes look all wrinkled, like this:

The corn will probably be turning a little golden brown, but it’s okay if it’s not.  Scrape every last bit of that pan into your soup pot and bring it to a simmer.  Cover the pot and keep it at a low simmer for about 20 minutes.  All of those flavors come together in a sweet, smoky, combination.

You can use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but I actually prefer my blender for this one since the corn has so much texture.  Remember when you put anything hot in your blender to remove that little stopper at the top.  It’s important that the steam has somewhere to go.  The other important step is that you cover it with a folded paper towel before you press start!

Puree the soup until it’s smooth.  Even after blending for quite a while, it will still have a little texture from the corn, which I like.  I originally planned to add a little low-fat cream cheese to this soup to add a rich, creamy feel, but I realized that the corn has enough starch in it to really create a creamy soup without any actual “creamy” products.  It’s quite thick, and slightly sweet, smoky, and savory, all at the same time.  Simply divine.

Note that it is also mandatory to eat this soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.  Use a great artisan bread and a smoky cheese (like smoked cheddar or provolone) for maximum yum factor.

And hey- don’t forget to enter our fun giveaway that’s going on right now- and ipad!

Mandy Schneider says:

Omg Sara are you back on WW that would be awesome if you are!!!! Now I need to share this recipe with my WW friends ..

Katie says:

Oooooh, this looks delicious! Thanks for posting a healthy recipe and including the nutritional information!

Nicole, RD says:

That extra step of roasting the veggies makes so much difference in taste…the best!

This is gorgeous. I have some corn on my counter right now! I might try this for dinner :)

Emily Gooch says:

This looks wonderful! Thanks for including the nutritional information. This is fantastic!

Annie says:

Oh I cannot wait to try this – and then.. do you think it would freeze well? Baby is due in October and this looks like the perfect soup to freeze and throw in the crock pot after baby is born to have ready on demand through the day.. with some grilled cheese??

I’ve never frozen this but I’m sure it will freeze beautifully because it’s almost all veggies. Stock up girlie- and good luck with that baby! My first was born in October- it’s a great month!

Holly says:

Your soup looks great! I’ve been thinking along the same lines and have leftover roasted corn and tomatoes in the refrigerator right now. I saw a similar recipe in the Wall Street Journal’s weekend section last week for corn & tomato soup. Your photos make me hungry for it right now!

DaNelle says:

Sara, you crack me up! This looks awesome, can’t wait to try it!

Juli says:

This looks yummy!

carrian says:

Look at all of those gorgeous tomatoes! Love this!

Wow, that looks good! This might be better than my favorite corn chowder!

Patti says:

If we made this in the fall when corn on the cob was no longer around, would it be just completely wrong to use frozen corn?
    I have to share a story…last night while at a buffet-style restaurant, my 4 year old grandson tasted a chocolate-dipped strawberry. He said the chocolate was disgusting and wanted to go home and make more. His mom reminded him that he just said the chocolate was disgusting, to which he replied, “We can just use Our Best Bites!” We burst out laughing! That boy knows what he’s talking about!

Keri says:

This sounds soooo amazing!!!! I can’t wait to try it!

Michelle T. says:

I am so excited to make this. Thank you THANK YOU for posting the nutritional info and taking the work out of it! Any idea how many fiber grams per serving?

Susan W. says:

That looks totally yummy but since it’s 110 degrees in Chandler, AZ today I think this will have to wait until its not face of the sun hot..Seriously can’t wait to try though!

Suzy says:

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I love pretty food and this is one of the best soups I’ve seen in awhile. Can’t wait to try it!

Jody says:

So there is no need to peel the tomatoes???

amy smoot says:

Sounds great and I can’t wait to try! I’m surprised at the 7 g of fat per serving– I only see the bit of olive oil. Am I dumb or what?! I guess I need to pay more attention to labels!

Ruth says:

Waa-ha-ha! I am starting to get into the making-soup-mode and this looks terrific! Gonna try it as soon as I get my hands on some corn on the cob!

Summer says:

This looks so yummy!!! Thanks!

Parrish says:

Now I know what to do with all the tomatoes we just got from a neighbor. Thanks :)

meredith says:

I love it when you are trying to stick to a healthy diet … you come up with the yummiest stuff!!
    I do have a garden-full of veggies so I love seeing these amazing use-your-veggie posts :-) And thank you for putting on those pounds to create a new cookbook … which I am counting down the days for, seriously!!

mamak1967 says:

Hi, this looks so amazing and I really want to try it, but I was also wondering if you could can this recipe? I would love to have some on hand whenever we wanted it. I could try freezing as previously mentioned, but I thought canning would be an easier way (not at the time) when wanting something simple and quick, but delicious.

You really should only preserve recipes specifically created and tested for canning- this one is not so I wouldn’t recommend it!

Kate W. says:

So how spicy is this? I’m not a spicy person at all (when it comes to food, I mean – ha ha). The paprika and chili powder scare me a bit. Thoughts?

It’s not spicy at all. Smoked paprika doesn’t have any heat at all. Chipotle chili powder is spicy, but with only 1/4 teaspoon in the whole batch, none of the heat comes through, just the smokiness. So no worries!

sue says:

I just printed this up, it looks fantastic and I can’t wait to try making and eating it; all flavors that I adore. So…when I chop the jarred red bell peppers, do I have to recreate the baby elephant?:-)

I wouldn’t have thought of putting corn with tomato! Yummo! Im going to try this. I always roast my own peppers and do a big batch of them and freeze the blended puree in ice cube trays ready to throw into dishes like this or any tomato sauces. Perfect!

Do you think this would work as a cold soup?

Deirdre says:

Something about this says comfort. Can’t wait to try on one of those transitional days…summer to fall. sigh.

Sara Wutzke says:

Made this tonight for dinner…sooo good! I was wondering what to do for dinner, when I saw this post. I had everything for it, save for the corn which I got at the farm stand up the road…I even roasted a pepper for the first time! The tomatoes were still warm from the sun in my garden. Summer in a bowl!

shari says:

That looks so good and I have a garden fullmof grape and cherry tomatoes.

LaRene says:

If I were to use regular tomatoes, would you recommend peeling them?

Karen says:

This looks delicious, definitely on my list of “to dos”, just recommended your site to a friend who was looking for crock pot recipes. Love you guys!!

garysgirl says:

This looks incredible!

Erin says:

As long as a person is careful about what kind of chicken broth they buy, this totally yummy recipe is gluten free and celiac friendly!! Thanks!!! Tag it in your ever expanding GF section if you’re so inclined. :)

Just made this soup – it’s sensational!!! The only thing I did differently was to add a jalapeño to the corn and tomatoes and roasted . Sooooo good!

Durante says:

This looks delicious! I agree that with a good tomato soup a grilled cheese sandwich is mandatory! I wonder if they were invented together ;)

Cook LA says:

This looks really delicious. I must test to see if it will work in the cooking classes I teach and the pictures really bring this recipe to life!

Vennessa says:

My 79 year old neighbor just shared a fantastic tip…use an old bunt pan for taking corn off the cob. Stick the corn in the hole and ot falls right off into the pan. Brilliant!

Ellie says:

This sounds superb but I think only my husband and I would like it. Oh, but I just looked at the recipe again and you said it only makes about 6 cups so I could just make it for myself and eat it every day for lunch. Now I have something to look forward to in the fall. Yea!

Jenny says:

Made this tonight– delicious!! My foodie husband loved it, and my 4 yr old ate it, which is a bonus :) my only fail was that I couldn’t shape my peppers like a baby elephant. I tried… ;)

Julie says:

I made this soup for lunch today. The company hasn’t arrived yet, but the soup is ready and fabulous! The roasted corn by itself will someday be a side dish for a fun dinner, perhaps with steak or fish — temptation in and of itself!

emma says:

Can I use canned or frozen corn?

Mary McAlester says:

I would love to have an ipad!!! My daily fix is to look at the recipes from your site!!

Mandy says:

Thank you so much for this delicious recipe!! I made it this weekend with tomatoes and corn from my garden and it was every bit as delicious as you promised it would be!! I love the calorie information as well as the carb count – I am insulin resistant and trying to drop pounds – This recipe fits the bill for a perfect dinner at my house! Love you girls- courting down until book #2 comes out!!

Kiersten Walker says:

I’ve been on the hunt for tomato recipes to use up the (approximately) 3 gazillion tomatoes I’m picking daily. I used 2 red bell peppers from the garden and just roasted them right along with the tomatoes & corn.

I served it with grilled cheese using a colby pepper jack cheese to try and up my fancy game . . . but I would serve it with regular cheddar or american cheese sandwiches next time cause the pepper jack overwhelmed the delicious roasted veggies.

I ran it through my food processor first and then a 2nd time through my blender and I thought that did the trick texture wise.

Emily Gilgen says:

You’ve inspired me! This is definitely on my list of soups to make…it may even bump some of the other ones I have lined up each week for my soup blog.

Amy says:

HO. LY. GUACAMOLE! I just made this with tomatoes/corn/peppers from my garden, and it was so darned good! Especially since I’m not normally a lover of tomato soup. I think I’ll make a double batch of it and freeze it in single serve portions for work lunches. I’ve gotta say, it is a rare gem of a recipe that is not only good for you AND delish. Of course, I’ve never made anything that disappoints from Our Best Bites – and how many cookooks can I say THAT about? Thanks SO MUCH!!! Now to try it with grilled cheese as suggested by Kirsten!
    Thanks yet again OBB.

Jenny says:

I’ve never had roasted sweetcorn before, but I can just imagine how great it tastes. This looks lovely!

Camille says:

I just made this recipe… and oh my goodness… it is AMAZING!!!!!!!! I made a bunch ahead of time for my lunches this week and I am sure my coworkers are going to be soooo jealous! Thanks for the recipe!

Amanda Frost says:

Made this yesterday for Sunday dinner and it was a HUGE hit. It was so fresh and delicious. Definitely a keeper–thanks for sharing!

Rachael Lewis says:

I made this last night with grilled cheese sandwiches (using Italian bread for the sandwiches). It was so good!

Kathy Z says:

I made this on Sunday and it was wonderful. The only thing I changed was adding two jalepenos to the roasting veggies. :)

divacrudites says:

Have fresh tomatoes from my dear friends organic garden and I’ll purchase corn to savor this wonder summer/fall soup…this will be quite tasty.

Pam Fierro says:

Made this today with the last of my corn and cherry tomatoes from the farm market. Yummy!!! I think it would also be good cold, like gazpacho. I had something similar at a restaurant recently, and it was served cold – perfect for summer.

Janette says:

Congrats! This was the recipe of the day on Ziplist today. :)

Donna says:

I am eating this as we speak… Fantastic! The ancho and smoked paprika are the perfect complement!

Amy says:

What a wonderful way to use up corn!

Amy says:

Just made this tonight using roasted peppers I canned last year. Delicious! Definitely a keeper this recipe is. (can you tell my kids have been watching star wars?)

Angela K. says:

Made this last week. Just used grocery store veggies, and it was good. I imagine it would be so much better with veggies fresh from the garden!

Amanda says:

This was amazing! It was so satisfying to use up my garden produce AND more importantly this is the first tomato soup my husband has liked that’s not Campbell’s. Thanks for saving me from eating canned soup the rest of my life!!

What a tasty sounding summery soup!

Loni says:

Just made this and I loved it. I also made a grilled cheese with avocados and tomatoes it was perfect with this. I need to have tomato soup with my grilled cheese but my husband hates the canned version so he will never eat it but he loved this one.

Susanne says:

I didn’t end up buying the chipotle chili powder (too expensive) so I was planning to just use chili powder. Is that ok? Or is there another substitute?

Alesia says:

I made this without the onion or garlic (because I didn’t have any and I was planning on going to the store before dinner but it’s been one of those days and we didn’t make it and I needed to use up the corn and the tomatoes from the garden–and that is a super-long run-on sentence) and it was still amazingly wonderful! Next time I will make it to the store so that I am not out of onion or garlic!

Ann T. says:

Made it yesterday & let it rest overnite. Delicious!!!!. Served with a green salad. Used a bit of chile powder for seasoning as I didn’t have the smoked paprika but plan on getting some. Two things: use your angel food cake pan for catching the kernels off the cob. Just put the sharp end of the cob in the cake pan hole. Very convenient. In the recipe, it calls to use aluminum foil to line the pan for roasting corn & toms. I found that the corn stuck so will try parchment paper for my next try.

Judith Phillips says:

Im not able to tolerate eating any color of bell pepper in my diet. Can you recommend a substitution for the peppers?

You could always use more tomatoes instead, or any other soft veggie, really!

• Michelle says:

I wonder how a roasted sweet potato would taste in this recipe, the texture would be right and it would add some creaminess as well. Just a thought!

Jill says:

Anybody think this would work with veggie broth instead of chicken broth? Vegan family. Soup sounds delish! If I try it with veggie broth, I will post results.

Lynne says:

I made this delicious soup which smelled and looked so wonderful – thank for you the recipe! – when I got to the blend step I didn’t let the soup cool at all because I was in a hurry :) and didn’t read the part about taking the top thing out of the blender lid… and when I pushed blend on my cheap-o blender, the top part somehow got sucked into the blender (maybe the steam caused the plastic lid to expand, thus your warning about doing that?) and got ground up into the perfect soup!! And hot soup shot out of the top. It was shocking/horrifying/exciting!

But I am getting a new blender so I can make the soup again this week, this time following all of the directions. Ha!

Cath Sharman says:

A friend of mine posted a link to this 3 hours ago on FB and I loved the sound of it. So much so I am now on my second bowl!! I think I may have altered the spicing slightly as the Chipotle Chili/Smoked Paprika was not available in my local supermarket (I’m in the sticks in the UK) so I used normal Paprika and Cayenne Chilli Pepper which was described as smoky. I like a spicy taste so was heavy handed with the CCP and it yielded an amazing flavour with a good kick in it too, perfect for the start of Autumn :D
    (I also had to put half chicken, half veg stock as I didn’t have enough of either.)
    I picked up a Taw Valley Cheddar Cheese Boule http://www.co-operative.coop/food/food-and-drink/food/Bakery-range/ to go with it and it was perfect dunked in the soup! You have a new fan, I will be going through your other recipes now…thank you for a great, nutritious, healthy, low fat soup recipe…it’s all good :)
    Now…….would a 3rd helping be greedy??

Stef says:

Hi,
    this soup sounds delicious…too bad the fresh corn season is already over. I hope I’ll remember this recipe next year. Have to make a note :-)
    Greetings from Germany

Kelly says:

I just cooked this up and added my own little spin on it, changing a few things around. Switched out the chicken broth for a low sodium vegetable broth (I’m a vegetarian). I also left out the onions because my boyfriend doesn’t like them and added in around 5-6 ounces chive and onion cream cheese in their place to make the base a bit more creamy. I used regular paprika because I didn’t have any smoked paprika, and added in a dash of cayenne pepper to spice it up. I’m not too much of an experienced cook (I’m only 25 so I’m still new to this!)- but this soup turned out to be one of the best dishes I’ve ever made. Thank-you!

Aubrie says:

I made this last night and it was AMAZING. Since corn and tomatoes aren’t in season, I used a bag of frozen “super sweet white corn” (it was 16 ounces which was right about the 3 cups the recipe calls for) and a 14.5 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes. I roasted the corn with the garlic as per the recipe, and then just added in the tomatoes with the rest of the soup. I think I put in a bit too much chipotle because it was really spicy so my kids wouldn’t eat it, but I’ll definitely be making it again! It was smooth, creamy, and delicious (I used my Blendtec which blended it perfectly), plus super cheap and healthy. I’ll be making this often! Thanks for another delicious recipe, Sara!

LC says:

Looks delicious! Need to make this!!

Georgia says:

Made this tonight and it was incredibly delicious! Another great recipe for obb!! Used frozen corn, a super cool broth called “no chicken broth” (since we are vegetarians), and blended it with the immersion blender.. Its a bit grainy, but still great.

Craig Kruse says:

This sounds wonderful! For those of us on the WeightWatchers program, it would help if you could include the fiber grams per serving!

Kelly Ashby says:

I just made this recipe today and it is absolutely delicious! Followed the recipe except I also added 2 roasted pablano peppers from my garden….they were on the counter begging to join the fun!! :))) Thank you for the recipe!! I know I will be making this one again!!

Sharon says:

This was so easy and yummy! My husband suggested adding some shredded chicken. And I’m going to try that next time.

Tried this tonight (with tomatoes from our garden) alongside a cheddar and prosciutto grilled cheese…simply divine!

Melissa says:

good recipe but i feel like its missing something. i added some quinoa and it gave it a little bit more substance. But i feel like the flavour is more pepper and less corn and tomato

Diana Cole says:

Tomato and Corn Soup! Where have you been all my life? This recipe is one of the highlights of my summer. Thank you, thank you.

Robyn says:

I made this last night and loved it! The smokiness of the chipotle & paprika combined with the roasted sweetness of the tomatoes & corn gave it such a wonderful flavor. I added a few tablespoons of cream at the end just because I love my tomato soup that way. Paired with a grilled cheese sandwich, it hit the spot for a chilly night. Will definitely be making again!

Thanks for sharing! Made this tonight and it was delicious!
    I only did 3 cups of chicken stock for a thicker soup, and i also added shredded rotisserie chicken and left about 1 cup of the corn kernels whole for added texture. I also left the garlic cloves whole and in their skins while roasting and then just popped them into the soup before blending. Oh ya and I used frozen corn kernels which worked great! I served it with a dollop of sour cream which was a nice way to tame the heat :)

jen says:

I found this recipe as a pin on pinterest. I decided to go for it. Ive made other things on pinterest and wasnt always happy. I can say this is a delicious soup! Everyone loved it. I froze the rest and a couple weeks later defrosted it. I sauteed a couple onions and blended it with the soup to thicken it and used it as a pasta sauce. My boyfriend loved it! Great recipe!

Michelle says:

Did it freeze well? I was thinking of making a large batch a freezing individual portions for lunches. And great idea to use it as pasta sauce, that would be incredibly yummy!

jen says:

Oh i think i added a couple roasted pablanos i happened to have. The flavor profile works great with pablano.

Meaghan Warner says:

I found your recipe on Pinterest and just made it yesterday for dinner. It was AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Next time I will be making a double batch :)

Jules says:

This looks nom nom! I think I’ll put some avocado on mine.

Michelle says:

Made this for dinner last night with BLT’s, very yummy! Thanks for the recipe – I will definitely be making this again, especially in the fall to use all of those extra garden tomatoes and sweet ears of fresh corn! Thanks for the great recipe!