One quick thing before I get into my post–we are SO happy so many of you are enjoying your books! We’re hearing that there are some problems with some books–damage or upside down pages or pages sticking. We want you to be happy with your purchase, so please, please, please, if there’s something wrong with your book, contact the retailer you purchased the book from and they will exchange it for you. The only thing we can do is be sad that your book isn’t perfect.

From the moment Will was born, I was kind of dreading last week. Not because anything bad was supposed to happen, but because I knew it was going to test my limits as a work-at-home mom and that it was going to officially define the new normal for our family with a new baby. At first, it was just going to be me flying with a 2-month-old by myself to Denver and back for a speaking engagement with Sara.

And then we added the book launch in Salt Lake City.

So on Wednesday, Will and I flew to Salt Lake. And I missed my connection in Houston. And I used the credit the airline gave me for the missed connection to purchase a salad to eat on the plane. And I left it in the airport. And the airline lost my luggage. And by the time I got to my hotel on Wednesday night, there was literally nowhere I could eat, so the girl at the front desk mercifully opened the gift shop where I purchased this for dinner:

When I woke up on Thursday morning, my luggage was still missing. And we had to be to the book launch by 10:00, so Sara and I went to Target and I told her to pick something out for me because I lack the ability to make decisions when I’m lactating. True story.

On Thursday night, United, Delta, and I played all sorts of games trying to figure out where my luggage was. Tricia, the amazing Delta agent, finally tracked it down in a town an hour away at someone else’s house (bet they thought they were winning the jackpot with the giant duffel  bag only to be disappointed to find it full of diapers, burp cloths, and Target shoes).

On Friday morning, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world to have my bag back just in time to fly to Denver.

On Friday night, I broke my front tooth while eating dinner. The night before our speaking engagement.

Luckily, the rest of the trip was relatively uneventful, and I made it home on one piece by Sunday afternoon, but it is currently Tuesday night and I’m still fairly shell-shocked by the whole experience. I wish I had a fairy godmother to wash, fold, and put away all my laundry, do my dishes, make me go to sleep, cook me food, and ensure I have enough time and patience for my children.

But alas, I don’t. But after being gone for so long, I did have an unread issue of Cooking Light and a bunch of overripe bananas. So, in the absence of a fairy godmother, you know what makes everything okay?

Banana bread. Specifically, caramelized banana bread with browned butter glaze. You cannot go wrong.

For the bread, you’ll need butter, bananas, dark brown sugar, vanilla or rum extract (or real rum), salt, baking soda, canola oil, eggs, and flour.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×5″ loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

Slice the bananas. Set aside.

Over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add the bananas and brown sugar and saute for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.

Place the banana mixture in a large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown on top and a pick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it.

(Check out how gorgeous the crown on this bread is…foolproof, I swear!)

Cool for 10 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

To prepare the glaze, you’ll need the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, and 2 teaspoons of milk or half and half.

In a small saucepan or skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to get brown and fragrant (careful…things can go south REALLY quickly. Be sure to remove from heat as soon as it starts to get brown.) Whisk in the powdered sugar and milk or half and half and drizzle over the cooled banana bread

and allow the glaze to set before slicing.

Supposedly makes 16 slices (ha).

Don’t forget!  We’ve got a couple of book signings this weekend:
Boise, Idaho: Saturday September 22, 11:30am-1pm.
Deseret Book Store, Boise Idaho (that’s the store on Overland, not Eagle Road)

Baton Rouge, Louisiana:  Friday September 21, 7 pm.
Barnes and Noble 7707 Bluebonnet Blvd, Baton Rouge

eloise says:

oh yes!!!!looks delish. think this would be good for a bake sale, that will be outside?

Joshua Young says:

I’m making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do, >>> Green32.comREAD MORE

Janet B says:

I totally love the (ha!) at the end of your recipe. Yup–gotta agree with you there. I’d be lucky if it lasts 16 minutes at our house!

Thankfully you made it home safely, and now can catch up. Life sure can throw things in our paths to challenge us.

I’m so sorry you had all of those misfortunes!!! What a way to spend a few days. :) Glad you made it home safe with your litte one. Flying with a newborn alone would have put me over the edge. You go girl. :) Hope you enjoy a much calmer week. It was so fun to meet both of you gals at the book signing the other day. It’s such a beautiful book. Congratulations again!
    ~Jamie

Shae says:

Oh, you poor thing! Whenever I see a picture of you guys I always think “I bet they never could have imagined all of this when they first started out!” I am sure that you have been stretched and blessed farther than you ever thought! Congratulations, I just got my copy!

Juli says:

Yum! I just made your chocolate swirl version a few weeks ago and have been thinking about it ever since!

I am a banana bread fiend, and love this idea. Will totally try this recipe with my next batch of forlorn bananas :-)

Holly says:

I made your chocolate zucchini bread a few weeks ago, and while I have a favorite banana bread recipe already…well…let’s just say that I TOTALLY TRUST you and will make this for my family (it can’t hurt that this has WAY less oil and sugar in it–also I only have three bananas and my recipe needs six!) LOVE the idea of a brown butter glaze, THANK YOU for posting in spite of your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week!!

Linda N. says:

Oh my…I’m glad you made it home in one piece. Sounds like you had an adventure! I <3 banana bread. Your post, my dear, looks amazing.

Tiffany says:

Im glad you just post this. I have some over ripe bananas that i keep saying i need to make banana bread with. Well i will be making this TONITE!!

OHhhhhhh! I’m going to have to try this recipe! It’s a must! I’ve even got a ton of ripe bananas sitting on my counter! xoxo

Marilee Neff says:

What an adventure travel is at times…This Banana Bread looks so good..I’m going to go get some bananas in just a little while…thanks for sharing. Oh, and by the way, my new book did have some sticky pages—but, sorry, there’s no way I’m taking it back–I just “unstuck” them and it’s fine—I don’t want to be without it for one minute while they work on getting me another…hee, hee…thanks so much!!!

Rebecca says:

Wow Kate, what an adventure you had with your little guy. I’m glad you made it home safe and sound. That banana bread looks amazing!

Oh my heavens!! I can’t believe your travel story!! And with a newborn?! Seriously, how did you even begin to keep your sanity? I’m amazed.
    Oh, and this banana bread looks awesome. I was a little hesitant when I saw that it was “just a banana bread” recipe that was posted for today but was pleasantly surprised! I love the twist on it with the caramelized bananas. Yum!

Rebecca P says:

Ironically I was just looking for a banana bread recipe here on Sunday. Thank you for the inspiration.

meredith says:

Love you guys!! Loving the potato leek soup from the new book. And love your coconut lime banana bread so much … Don’t know if I can break away!! I’m blown away by your talent … And real life stories :-)

April says:

Speaking of bananas…read the reviews on this banana slicer sold on Amazon.com. It will make you forget your traveling woes. Seriously funny stuff!

Corene Swisher says:

Oh, man. I’m so sorry for the headache and trouble. For what it’s worth, I often wonder how you both “do it all!” Seriously. A family and a business. It’s enough to make dinner, let alone blog about it and take pictures along the way. Your work is appreciated! (P.s. making tuna noodle casserole from the new cookbook tonight)

You *broke* your front tooth??? How did you manage the logistics of that? I mean, that’s crazy anytime, but while traveling, it has got to be a nightmare.

It was awesome. I was eating a super crunchy, thin-crust pizza and I overestimated the amount of force I needed to bite through it. The kicker is that I can’t get into the dentist until tomorrow, so I’ve been trying to keep my mouth closed, less someone think I’m the crazy snaggletoothed woman… :)

Amanda says:

That is an out of this world travel story…bad things come in three’s right? So hopefully, the bad luck is over. Can’t wait to make this banana bread.

Beth J says:

Oh man! I just used all our ripe bananas yesterday to make banana bread! Guess I’ll have to wait till the next ones get ripe to try this recipe! It looks really yummy!

The banana bread looks over-the-top delicious. And your trip, well… it is amazing how before we had kids we thought we knew what stress was. And then we had one kid so that we could learn how easy we had it when we had no kids. And then we have a second so that we can learn how easy it was when we only had one kid… and so on. :) Feelin’ for ya.

Beth says:

Yum! Did you use the rum, rum extract or vanilla extract in the bread? I have 3 frozen bananas that I have been wanting to use up for banana bread- thanks for the awesome recipe :0)

I used vanilla. I’m not a huge fan of the flavor of rum, so I skipped it, but I can see how it would be kind of bananas foster-y. :)

• Beth says:

Making it today – I have rum leftover from a dish I made awhile back – so I might use it. Or I might do the vanilla. All I know is I’m super excited to make it (I had a rough week, but nothing in comparison to your travel experience…)!

Laurel says:

I was literally groaning and gasping as I read about your trip. Lost luggage? A chipped tooth?! (what were you eating?!) What a nightmare, but at least you seem to find some comedy in it. After the fact at least. I think both you gals are amazing for balancing all the things you do. And for bringing such delicious food into so many homes. Figuratively speaking, of course. :) I just made your banana pecan muffins yesterday, and I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Seriously, I just ate a piece of banana bread when I read this post! This looks like a good recipe though, I might have to put grandma’s banana bread recipe away for a bit to try it! (I don’t think grandma would’ve minded!) I also like the “ha” at the end too! Who wants a paper-thin slice of banana bread? Not me!!

Steph says:

I’m going to the store to buy some bananas just to hide them from my boys so they get ripe enough to make this. Think it will work in muffin form?

Leslie says:

so making this!
    i HATE bananas (I rarely use the word hate) but LOVE banana bread~
    I buy bananas to let them blacken so I can freeze them and save them for a baking day.
    thanks for the inspiration to change up my everyday~

Rachel says:

I now understand why you were holding back smiles at TOFW. You were great, and your baby is adorable. Glad you made it home without any more unwanted excitement.

Kelly says:

I was so excited when I glanced at the recipe title, quickly scrolled down and saw the picture with oreos. I thought, wow I never would’ve thought of oreos in banana bread but oreos make everything better and I love all of your recipes so it must be delicious! Imagine my disappointment when I actually read the post and realized no oreos in the bread:) That’s what I get for not reading it to begin with. Oh well, I will definitely still make the bread!

Leanna Crum says:

Ha ha when I first looked at this I was in a bit of a hurry so I scrolled down without reading to see what was in the ingredients. The first picture I thought was the ingredients and was like what the heck!! When I had more time I actually read the post. Thought is was funny though.

Lisa says:

I love banana bread and loved seeing you guys in Dener!

Corinna says:

This looks YUM! Will have to give this one a try for sure.

That made me exhausted just reading it! Glad your home and making banana bread now! I always have 2-3 bananas that start to go brown before we eat them and my go to is always banana bread. I like changing it up and trying different versions and this one looks great!

Wow! So sorry for what you’ve gone through. Bet this delicious banana bread made up for it :)

Pamela says:

Did you ever think things couldn’t get any worst?!? I’ve been trying to work in some overtime to maybe get adhead – it’s just not meant to be. My husband got a ticket, the brakes went out on a vehicle so between the ticket, the towing and the repair bill I may just break even in October, and it’s still September. Holy Cow – I think I need a new cookbook to read, I think I have one in mind. Congrats on your newest release, loved your first book. I wish I lived in an area to see you to have you sign a book, that would be a treat.

Deb Doolittle says:

This banana bread sounds absolutely delicious! I am thinking that it would be perfect to bring to our next faculty meeting; maybe we’ll all make sweet decisions regarding all the children that need our help.

Lynette says:

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you had such a yucky trip. I’m glad you got home okay and that you found your luggage. I bought your book hastily at costco this week. I was going to ask for it for Christmas, but I just had to have it NOW. I think (if I ever get the counters cleared from masses of dishes) I will make the chocolate cupcakes today. They have been calling my name since I saw the picture. This bread looks yummy too. I just love all the chatty stories you girls share along with the latest recipes!

Steph thompson says:

I made this yesterday and it was delicious! The glaze is to-die-for and the bread is very moist. However, I don’t think the flavor difference between this and my regular banana bread is significant enough to take the extra time to caramelize the bananas (though, I’ll admit it was fun). I plan to add this glaze to my regular ol’ banana bread in the future. I’m trying to think of other things to pour this glaze on too because it was divine!

I’m actually totally with you 100%–it’s fun caramelizing the bananas, and if you’ve struggled with banana bread in the past or if you don’t have a good recipe, this is a good one. But the flavor difference isn’t huge. But the glaze…to die for!!

Patti says:

The best part about this recipe is that there are no walnuts in it! P.S. Did you get your tooth fixed yet?

Melanie says:

Wow, what a crazy trip!
    I made this bread today with a few slight tweaks based on what I had on hand, and it is delicious! (I used sour cream instead of buttermilk and white sugar instead of brown sugar) The crust has a nice crunch to it, and the glaze is amazing. Don’t leave out the glaze! It compliments the bread in a crazy-awesome way! My husband and I just ate two pieces each. :)

Chrystie DeSmet says:

Oh my goodness, what a nightmare!! So sorry you had to go through this! This recipe looks amazing! Looking forward to trying it out!! Yummy!

Wendy Perkins says:

I’m so sorry to hear about all your misadventures, and with a newborn in tow, no less.

I once broke a tooth on mashed potatoes. True story. I now take my calcium faithfully!

KatieJ says:

I’m sorry you had such a rough trip- it can only get better! I just tried this recipe this afternoon and it was wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing, I love “my” banana bread recipe so I was nervous to try it but SO glad I did! Thanks!

Krista Hansen says:

I have a 2 month old and reading about your trip made me start to sweat. Seriously. I can’t imagine going through that and not completely falling apart. You are amazing!

Melinda says:

I lived in Boise (Kuna) did a year and we LOVED the Boise fry company! These look amazing and I just got a bunch of sweet potatoes in my bountiful basket today. Perfect timing!

Hope says:

Just wanted to report that I made this banana bread last night and it is absolutely DELISH!!!!!! The glaze just puts it over the top! Highly recommend everyone trying it :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Rachel says:

Just made this….it is so very good! Every time I make banana bread I try a new recipe because I just haven’t found one I love. This will now be the recipe I will always use! Super moist and flavorful. Thanks for sharing!

Paige Laine says:

I thought your pronouncement was probably an exaggeration…but man, my daughter and I have spent the past two days commenting that this was absolutely the best banana bread we’ve had. She’s eleven, so her life experience with banana bread is fairly limited, but I am a bit (!) older and I’ve tasted enough to know! I was too tired to even make the glaze, so I can’t wait to make this again and try the full deal. May just blow me away!

Andrea Hanson says:

I am so excited! I made this, and it looks just like yours!!

Michelle says:

Quick Question!! In the process of making this delicious – looking banana bread but I’m thrown off by the amount of flour.. 9 ounces versus 2 cups is very different… what do you recommend?? Thanks!!!

Trixie says:

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for a month to make, and yesterday was the day. I have re-read the recipe over and over to see where it went awry, because it was AWFUL. So bad, we threw it in the trash. It was…..tasteless, like it needed sugar added to the batter or something, and no mix of spices to flavor it up were even called for…. I even used my most excellent rum from Barbados, but all that did was waste a good amount of rum. Sad :(

Jenelle says:

I LOVED the glaze! It was so delicious! I usually use the Lion house recipe for banana bread but I have to make small loaves, else it’s runny in the middle and burnt on the bottom. I was nervous this recipe would do the same, but it was delightful! I may have taken it out a little early, though, it was a little dense. Nevertheless, definitely a keeper! Thanks!

jey harris says:

I changed just a couple things with this awesome recipe. Instead of 2 cups flour I used 1 cup flour and 1 cup jiffy mix. I also used 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 4 banana’s instead of 3.
    This turned out so fluffy and the flavor was so amazing . I don’t care for a dense banana bread. I like it to be light and bursting with flavor. This with my version has now become the best banana bread I have made to date. Fantastic! Thank you so much for a different version and my new family recipe

So, I have a question about the following directions:
    “Combine the buttermilk, oil, rum or extracts, and eggs in a large liquid measuring cup. Set aside. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Beginning and ending with the flour mixture, alternately add it to the banana mixture, mixing on low speed until just combined.”
    So… you’ve set aside your buttermilk mixture, but you never say add it to your flour/banana mixture. I’m guessing that was implied with the “alternately” part, but I got really confused while reading this. “Wait, I set the buttermilk mixture aside… but what do I do with it?” was my thought process.

Joanne says:

Have made this more than once now and it never fails to please. Delish!!

Kristi Sala says:

Hi Kate! I made this banana bread last night and it is SO good! I am so tired of breads that are super dry and this one was moist and yummy perfection! I would like to make it again but in my mini loaf pans. Any recommendations for how long I should bake them? Can’t wait to make it again! (And I love that it’s a light recipe, but doesn’t lack any flavor!)

You know, I’ve found that mini loaves tend to take almost as long (which is surprising). BUT. I wouldn’t count on it. I’d start with about half of the baking time and keep checking it until it’s done and then you’ll know.

Hope that helps!!

Julie Bro says:

I am assuming the canola oil should go in with the other wet ingredients? Maybe I read through too quickly but I cannot see where the canola oil belongs . . . Thanks!!

Mini says:

Hi Kate, I want to add some chocolate chips. Is 1 cup ok?