Posted in Cookies, Kate

First of all, we’ve picked the winners for the Blendtec Giveaway–head over to that post and check your email to see if it’s you!

Now…let me preface what I’m about to say with an apology to Mark, Ned, and Brent, the 5 other guys who read our blog, and people who find candid discussion of monthly moodiness offensive, I’m sorry. Go ahead and skip the dialogue and head straight for the recipe.

Ready?

I really want to re-name these cookies PMS Cookies.

The other morning, I was lying in bed, feeling fat and ugly and completely unable to stand my husband and how loud he was breathing and the fact that unlike me, he remembers what it’s like to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time. I was convinced that I was bad at everything, that everyone hated me, and that the only acceptable breakfast was a giant Diet Coke and something involving chocolate. And sugar.

I started googling mental health providers because I was honestly convinced I was going crazy.

And then I remembered that although it had been awhile, this was not the first time I’d felt this way. But my baby’s too little! It’s not supposed to happen yet! Oh, you slithery vixen of womanhood, I haven’t missed you.

So I got my older kids off to school and started feeling all homesick for my hometown and the GIANT oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from The Old Grist Mill. And then, like a sign from the heavens above, I got an email from King Arthur Flour with a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in it.

Did you guys ever see that movie Stranger than Fiction with Will Ferrell and Emma Thompson? When Maggie Gyllenhaal’s character said, “I figured if I was gonna make the world a better place, I’d do it with cookies,” that kind of became my secret mantra in life. Cookies make everything a little more bearable. They don’t make things go away, but a warm, gooey, obscenely large oatmeal chocolate chip cookie eases that pang in your heart when you send your kids off to school every day and just hope the universe will be kind to them, or when you feel wildly inadequate in everything you’re doing, or you’re just plain PMS-ing, or when you wake up and realize that it’s been 22 years since you lost your mom, that you’ve lived way more of your life without her than you did with her. Those are cookie days. Or you can just cram all those days into a 3 day period…it’s cool, I’m not judging, I’m there right now myself.

As I was making these cookies, I just knew they were going to be amazing. I could feel it in my guts. And they were–they were very slightly crispy around the edges with a hearty, soft center. They were amazing warm, straight out of the oven and they were amazing not warm the next day (they didn’t last long enough to see how they were 2 days later).

To start out, preheat your oven to 325 and, if you’d like, line your baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking liners. Set the pans aside.

Take 1 cup of softened butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1 cup of brown sugar…

and beat them together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

Add 1 large egg, 1 egg yolk, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla…

and beat until combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, quick-cooking oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter/sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Add your chocolate chips…

and mix until combined.

Now…about the chocolate chips. In this recipe, I used milk chocolate chips, the giant Ghirardelli ones, although I was also tempted to use those chocolate chunks you can get in the baking aisle. This isn’t the time for namby pamby little chocolate pieces–I wanted them to be big and rich and creamy and sweet.

You could totally make regular-sized cookies with a tablespoon cookie scoop, but we’re living large here. Take an ice cream scoop. Scoop out some dough and drop it onto the prepared baking sheet. For giant ice cream scoop cookies, you’ll get about 6 per baking sheet.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are light brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes,

then cool completely (or don’t…) on a wire rack.

This recipe makes 18 large cookies (or more smaller cookies).

Nicki says:

I love how this post came right after the Friday Faves skinny snacks post. :) These look delicious. I can’t wait to try them!

Tia says:

I was thinking the same! I’m gonna try one of these cookies with a scoop of Skinny Cow something!!

Summer says:

Yummmmm. I am going to have to try these. Big cookie fan here.

You are beautiful inside and out, and you are amazing. (Not that I know you well, but I just know.) I so know how those ‘days’ are. Thank goodness for yummy chocolately cookies to soothe the soul! :)

K says:

Ah, my cramps thank you right now. I’m ready to pull my uterus out with my bare hands.

What an awesome recipe! and I love how clear and concise it is. Thanks for sharing!

sam b. says:

Sorry to be dense here. I see white sugar in the recipe, but it’s not mentioned in any of the steps. Am I right in assuming it fits in with the brown sugar and butter step?

Ellie says:

This is my favorite line: Oh, you slithery vixen of womanhood, I haven’t missed you. My baby just turned one and the slithery vixen has just returned. It’s almost reason enough to have another baby just to avoid it for another two years! Or I could skip the baby, make a batch of these cookies, and hide in my closet eating the whole batch all by myself.

Shae says:

Sorry that you had such a sad morning! Hang in there! Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try it!

Jenny says:

Oh Kate! I love how you keep things real. I too miss the Old Grist Mill breads and cookies and anytime we go to Logan we make a stop there. They have one in Brigham City now you know. And I remember your mom! I remember one time she made us warm tomato soup after we’d been playing all day (I still envy your Polly Pockets collection you had). It was the first time I’d had it and I swear it was the most delicious tomato soup I’ve ever had. Hang in there! And cookies for breakfast are ok in my book.

Julie says:

Isn’t it Wonderful to be a woman! (Most-times, yes; and sometimes no).

My consolation for the slithery vixen: I don’t HAVE to shave a whiskery face everyday or go to war. So glad I’m not the only one who entertains such womanly feelings. Thank YOU, gorgeous Kate!

So glad OBB finally brought forth an oatmeal cookie recipe! I have been waiting a long time for this! Would also love an oatmeal cookie recipe with cinnamon and raisins.

Shelly says:

Love the beginning narrative. With a fairly wee babe, I haven’t had that particular trouble for awhile, but I find myself thinking similar thoughts as a result of sleep deprivation… which is common. Stinking husbands and their ability to sleep longer than 3 hours at a time! :)

Patti says:

The part about your mom made me cry. Sometimes life isn’t fair. Actually, a lot of times life isn’t fair! Love you, Kate!

meredith says:

It’s slightly scarey to think how many of these cookies I could actually eat in that same mental state!! And how is it that diet coke is so yummy with cookies??! Power through!!!

People say cookies and Diet Coke are counter-intuitive, but I seriously think it’s like the whole tea and cookies or coffee and doughnuts thing–something un-sweet to offset the sweetness. You get me, Meredith.

Kim says:

Ghirardelli is really the best way to go :) Thank you for sharing this recipe. I love your sense of humor about being a woman, it made me smile. And I am right there with you on the loss of your mom. Those days are hard, and my love goes with you.

Ruth says:

You know, we eat cinnamon rolls for breakfast…why not cookies! :)
    Ugh, I will be giving birth anywhere from 6-8 weeks from now and I DO NOT look forward to the post-preggie part of feeling like some gross thing that crawled out of the swamp for the following 3 months.

mjfluke says:

I LOVE oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! And if you want cinnamon and raisins just add it to the dough – we eat chocolate covered raisins so you can just leave the chocolate chips in if you feel like. Yum!

Crystal says:

These look so delicious!! My hubby’s favorite kind of cookie. I love reading your blog and trying the recipes! I saw your book advertised on TV yesterday, by the way. How exciting!!!

Britani says:

I’m so excited for this recipe!! I used to work at the Old Grist Mill(the one on 400) while I was going to school at USU, but I got there after most of the baking was done for the day. I miss their cookies and bread so much!! I have a recipe for white bread and pumpkin bread that is similar to theirs but haven’t found any cookie ones to compare. Here’s hoping this one is it!! I also lost my mom when I was six years old, so totally on the same page with you on that one, and the new baby, pms, husband sleeping page too. I had 4 kids in 6 years. You always keep it real, and I love it, cuz it makes me feel better about myself. I think you are absolutely AMAZING!!!! but to know you have days like that, makes me feel better when I do! See you in Logan this weekend. I’m so excited!!!!!!!!

Britani, when were you at USU? The one on 400 was always the one I went to! I can’t wait to meet you, too! :)

These cookies aren’t really like Old Grist Mill’s, but I think they’re just as delicious.

Britani says:

Oh, and I’m totally going to have to make a stop at the Old Grist Mill now!! Yummmmmm!

Missy says:

I’m going to have to try these out. I just read a funny post on someone’s blog about cooking and they referenced your website a lot so I came to check it out. If you want to read the post you can find it here – http://www.pearshapedthoughts.com/2012/09/my-aha-moment.html

Jenny says:

My baby is 3 weeks tomorrow and I am having a lot of the same feelings as you about sleep, myself and my husband… I had a big Marion Berry Scone this morning to help me feel a little better, after getting my 2 older kids to school, then explaining to my 3 year old that his friend would not be over until lunch time, and finally getting my 3 week old back to sleep. Your post today has helped me feel better and realize I am not the only one struggling this morning. I am headed to the kitchen NOW to make cookies! I don’t have the large chocolate chips or quick oats, only small chocolate chips and regular oats but I am still going to make these.

Amy says:

I am sorry you have been without your Mom for 22 years. Mine has been gone for 8 and it doesn’t get any easier. I am glad you could have cookies to give you a little bit of comfort. Mine is Dr. Pepper and chocolate donuts, that must explain my thighs!

Wendy Perkins says:

I love King Arthur Flour, and I love the movie “Stranger Than Fiction.” I’ve done my best to make the world better through cookies too.

I’m so thankful that both my mother and mother-in-law are still with us – they are both such a blessing. You must have been very young when your mom passed. I am sorry.

As for the slithery vixen, I inherited the blessing of early menopause from my mom. What a relief!

Sapphire says:

I really enjoy your blog. The recipes are always mouth watering and I like your style of writing. It’s like we’re just hanging out having a conversation. I nominated you for the Super Sweet Blogging Award. Check out my blog post for details. It’s a cool way to help spread the word about blogs you like and help them grow their readership! http://thenemeton.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/super-sweet-blogging-award/

Narayne says:

Old Grist Mill cookies! Some of the best, but these look better! I’ll have to bake up a batch when I know I’m going to have company lest I eat them all by myself. NOT a good thing! See you this weekend!

Rachel says:

These cookies are so beautiful!

Juli says:

Thanks for being so honest with us today. Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who starts feeling like the world is caving in! These look yummy!

Wendi says:

These look delicious! I can’t wait to try them. Thanks for sharing your life & amazing recipes with us! I know very little about cooking/baking and was wondering what you have on your cookie sheet. I have to cut parchment paper to line my cookie sheets and it’s such a pain! I’d love to have something that already fits and just slips onto the sheets without measuring and cutting every time! Thanks again!

Aww, Kate, I hope you are having a better day today! I want to thank you for not being afraid to say what all us ladies think and feel. And thank you for these glorious cookies!

Jamie Younker says:

Love the honesty girl! LOVE IT! Sometimes it really feels like we carry the weight of the world on our shoulders, and I don’t know how it’s possible but your’e right- cookies really do make things seem a little brighter. It’s been one of those cookie days every day for the 10 months for me and I will ABSOLUTELY be making these cookies today.

P.S. I used to work at Old Grist Mill on 4th north during college. I was the bagel/muffin girl which means I went in at like 4 in the morning but I was off by 1:00. Aw, good ol’ college days. You know what I miss about Old Grist Mill the most though? Their bran muffins. Seriously. I liked them even better than their cookies. Did you ever try them? I loved the cranberry walnut ones, and the blueberry white chocolate chip ones. If you ever manage to recreate them I would sing your praises forever!

Christina M says:

PMS cookies….yes! Although I’m nearly 6 months pregnant I think I would call them, “Do nothing until I’m done eating these cookies, cookie.” I will make these…very soon.

Polly Tolbert says:

Slithery vixen of womanhood? If I weren’t already completely taken with you, I am now! That is the best phrase in the english language! I am giggling as I am getting my ingredients ready for these cookies:)

I can’t take TOTAL credit for it–in an episode of Phineas and Ferb, Candace calls a cloned version of herself that keeps disappearing a slithery vixen and it somehow worked its way into my everyday vocabulary… :)

Lauren says:

OH YES. I will be making these.

Ashley Fort says:

Funny…my husband and I were just having a discussion about oatmeal cookies. Chocolate Chips in them are so much better than raisins!! While I have regular chocolate chips–must go buy some GIANT ones. I agree–the size of the chip makes ALL the difference! Thanks for sharing!

Jenny says:

Yummy, just mixed these up. Thank you for sharing! And for your honesty too; whispering a prayer for you today that God would meet the deepest needs in your heart!

Kim M. says:

This post is hilarious! I love it. And those cookies..oh my!

Liz Morrissey says:

I think I’ll eat my feelings about not winning the Blendtec with these cookies. Who needs to look good for upcoming family pictures? Certainly not me…. but in all seriousness. I’m drooling.

Leesa W says:

AMAZING! Hey, what kind of camera do you gals use? I have never seen an oatmeal tub look so awesome! The blog pics are always beautiful!

Jenna Pitt says:

I loved your intro.. I’m having one of those days myself! I’d love to make these to make it all go away.. they look delicious.

michele ferree says:

I so love you right now!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jamie Dana says:

Kate, this post is one of the many reasons I love reading your blog. You are REAL. I can relate to you. These cookies looks soooo good!

Stephanie says:

Ok, I definitely made these exactly 5 minutes after receiving the “new post” email on my iPhone. I had to run next door to my mom’s twice for ingredients I had run out of (3 kiddos 3 & under here and a hubby who works 40+ hour weeks right now) and ended up subbing half Toll House semi-sweet choc chips and half white choc chips instead of the Ghiardelli milk chocolate chips, and (just gonna be honest) definitely threw all of the dry ingredients in my KitchenAid without mixing them first… But I baked them on my baking stone and they were ah-ma-zing. OMG were they amazing. It’s been an exceptionally rough day here and everyone went to bed happy because of these cookies. Although they did keep begging me for more. Thank you thank you thank you.

Nik says:

I LOVE OLD GRIST MILL! I lived in Logan for 5 years and ate there at least once a week. Last week, while traveling through Brigham City, I decided to try their Raspberry Tea Scones… OH MAN! They were soooo good. I bought one for my husband and ate it too. Do you have a recipe for those???

Jana says:

This is my favorite post yet! There is something comforting in knowing I’m not the only who has days like this, lol. Thanks for keepin’ it real. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Heidi says:

Oh man, Old Grist Mill is the BEST! I think everyone who has ever lived in Logan, will agree. Loved the cookies! I also love to see your human side. :)

Spencer says:

Looks absolutely delicious! Almost too good to eat.

Susan W. says:

So I made these last with the big chips, my family loved them! Its the first cookies since your sugar ones that all family members loved! As for the slithery vixen, it totally made me laugh! I had an ablation 2 years ago…seriously the best decision I EVER made outside of marring my husband and having my kids..so I don’t see her anymore EVER!!!! Love it! and thanks the fabulous recipe!

garysgirl says:

First of all, let me say how sorry I am about you losing your mom at such a young age. I know it’s never easy to lose a parent/loved one, but the younger a person is when they pass, always feels worse. :( And you’re left feeling like you didn’t have enough time with them. I’ve had several friends die at an early age and my husband lost the brother right under him (they were pretty close-at only 15 months apart in age) when he drowned tragically at the age of 21. We all have days where all we can think of are the sad/bad/negative side to our lives, so I can understand you having a rough day! ;) And I’m totally the same way with cookies. Whenever I’m sad or upset I bake and it always makes me feel better. For me, baking is extremely therapeutic! :) These cookies look awesome! Can’t wait to try them! I actually have all of the ingredients-yay! :)

Diane says:

I loved reading your post. I’ve been having those kinds of days and COOKIES are the answer.
    I have three boys (5,7,9) and they don’t want little cookies…they want BIG FAT monster cookies (…and I do too.). And the ice cream scoop is brilliant. I’m going to try it this week. Thanks for sharing.

Leslie says:

I’m not normally one to question “ingredient switches” however, I love large flake oatmeal, is there are reason why you called for quick oats? Don’t worry, I am not questioning the plethora of chocolate ;) this is very similar to a go to recipe that I have (but it uses butterscotch and chocolate chips) so I am going to try it.

Sandy Dell says:

Made these today…LOVE them! Also, been looking for a recipe like this for years, so thank you! :)

Emily Hoffman says:

Hey Kate! Are you going to be at the Logan book signing? I may stop by to see you if it isn’t a mad house!

Natalie says:

I had to forward this post to all the women in my family! Prefacing by saying we ALL needed to make these cookies. As women we all feel this way… way too often. Thanks for keeping it real and light! Now I think I’ll go make me a batch! They look delish!

Rachael says:

I am currently eating a warm cookie, and they are AMAZING! I substituted some coconut oil for some of the butter; and threw in some milled flaxseed (‘cos that makes it healthy right???). Also, I didn’t have any instant cook oats, so I use the normal ones and it came out just fine. I think I want to thank you for this receipe, but I know my workout Wednesday is kind of sabotaged by my own inability to eat less than 4. I think I shall have to share with the neighbors!

Megan F says:

You posted this exactly when I needed it! After an epic fail mom day and a bad 37 week pregnant sleep the night before I needed anything with 3 cups of chocolate chips. Plus I’m a horrible baker so when my cookies came out looking like yours I actually took one to my husband just to show him that it was the prettiest cookie I ever made. Thanks for boosting my spirits on so many levels and never apologize for your honesty. Love it.

Tracy K. says:

I made these two nights ago and they were/are delicious!! Super easy to make too!!

Julia says:

I just ran out of vanilla! Would it be overwhelming to just use almond extract? Or if I just left it out altogether, would that ruin the recipe? Or should I put in a tablespoon of water to help with the consistency? Ah so many possibilities! Regardless, will be trying this tonight-hoping they will tide me over these last few days of pregnancy haha!

Ashley says:

These cookies are fantastic! I don’t know how I’m going to use anything but Ghirardeli chocolate anymore…

lauren says:

Really love these, I’m saving the recipe! I used milk chocolate chips as suggested, but didn’t quite have enough. I ended up using 2 cups of chic. chips and 1 cup of walnut pieces and it still came out fantastic!

laura b says:

Soooo delicious…Made this last night…co-workers loved me today :)

Rachael says:

Shared these with my 85 yr old Jewish grandmother neighbor, and she says they were the best! I also shared one with a guy pouring concrete for the new potholes on the street. It was late and cold and I felt bad for him. He seemed to enjoy the cookie, but unfortunately we frightened the heck out of him. I think he wasn’t expecting a mother & little girl bearing cookies on a cold autumn night!

Allison says:

Delicious cookies! So chewy, and I love that they’re giant cookies. These would be perfect for a bake sale. Taking them to watch the BYU game with friends this afternoon. Thank you for the recipe!

Angela says:

These were amazing! I didn’t have enough chocolate chips – gasp – but mixed Heath bits in with the chocolate and they were awesome. I love you two and your recipes sooo much! Hoping I get your new cookbook for Christmas this year…I’ve been sending some pretty strong hints lately. :)

Kristy R says:

Oatmeal cookies are the only ones that turn out for me. I made these and they were delicious that we each had two right off the bat. I added coconut. Everything’s better with coconut!

Aubrey says:

My favorite place to eat is Old Grist Mill. I miss it too! :)

Anne says:

Just made these yummers. Couldn’t stop snitching the dough. I baked them up small so I could have more to share. :-) I went to USU and loved those Grist Mill cookies. They must have used whole wheat flour or bran or something… I remember thinking they were hearty and *almost* healthy. Wonder how much WW flour you could sub into this recipe?

meredith says:

New. Favorite. Cookie.
    You girls are the best!!!

Brenda says:

I made these this weekend. I would rename those Baking Therapy Cookies. I love to bake when I am feeling blue, or angry, or grumpy, or …anything. These are (were) the best cookies I have ever had. I have been searching for a cookie recipe like the Old Grist Mill cookie and this is it! It’s got to be that tablespoon of vanilla. Anyway, I had to say thank you!!

heather says:

somehow i married me a man that does not like chocolate, but he does love oatmeal raisin cookies. so i tweaked this recipe w/an extra 1/2cup of oats, tsp. cinnamon, & 2C. of raisins, and boy is my man gonna love me tonight! these are super good even w/o the chocolate!

Carly says:

My husband and I just moved across the country from Logan and I miss Old Grist Mill too! Their sandwich meal deal was the best because you get a sandwich, soda, and one of those cookies for 5 bucks. I’ll have to try this recipe, I love their oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Thanks for posting!

Courtney says:

My husband bought eggs this morning and I just checked and we still have 2 sticks of butter in the fridge. Maybe I should fix dinner first though?

I made these two times last weekend! They are so good! The first time, I defrosted my butter for about 3 or 4 seconds. The second time I just let it sit out for a few hours. I figured out that my cookies spread out a little more the first time and I loved it! I also used regular salt the first time and kosher the second. I think I like the regular salt with the barely even possibly melted in the middle butter combo. These cookies are to die for either way! Thank you!

Sabrina says:

I made these last night and I couldn’t stop eating the dough. Yummy! However, when I baked them, they reminded me of the first batch of cookies I ever made. Flat, and flatter. I have no luck with cookies when I use butter. What’s the trick with this recipe? Maybe it’s the baker, muah, who has the problem.

If you’re in Utah or at another high elevation, did you try adding the additional 2 tablespoons of flour? That helps cookies from spreading at high elevations. My other thought was if your butter was too soft or if you mixed it too long, it can make the cookies flatten out too much.

Hope that helps! :)

Dori says:

Thank you SOOOO much for sharing this recipe! I live in Denver so sometimes cookie recipes fall a bit flat, and I had just had that happen a few weeks ago with a new cookie recipe and even with a bunch of tweaking the recipe never came out just right. So WHAT a pleasure to see that you had already included a high elevation recipe suggestion which I took and these giant oatmeal cookies came out perfect! Absolutely scrumptious and the perfect treat for a crisp fall weekend. Thanks again!

Gina says:

I too adore chocolate chip cookies. My aunt had the best cookie I ever tasted. Sadly she passed away unexpectedly before I could figure out what she did to make them so fantastic. And no, it was not like the episode from Friends where she got the recipe from Nestle Tollhouse. :) Anyways, after many attempts, I figured out that the Ghiradelli chocolate chips were one of ingredients that made them so great. I was hosting a Stella and Dot party at my house last weekend and decided to make these cookies for my guests. OH. MY. GOD. Hands down pretty darn amazing. I admit to eating 5 the other night after dinner (and I made them “normal” sized, so don’t think I pigged out that much!!!) Thanks for all your recipes; I have made quite a few and this is the first one I have posted on. That’s how flipping good these cookies are!!! Santa just might be requesting them later on in the year!
    Thanks again :)

I am making these for the 2nd time this week as we speak. SO delicious. I could taste a little bit of the salt in there and it was like unbelievably wow.

Kim G says:

I have made this recipe for over 11 years now. It was first given to me by my neighbor. She would make a batch that is double the size of your recipe and CANNOT have quick oats, it has to have the real quaker oats. She hands them out to all the neighbors, strangers, etc. It is just the kind of person she is. So whenever I make them, I have to give some away. Every time. They are amazing cookies from an AMAZING woman’s recipe.

liz h says:

Did I miss something? How come there haven’t been any new posts in weeks? I hope all is well!

Jess says:

I so need to try these soon!

Jamie says:

So good I ate three when I made them over the weekend. YUM! I used regular oats but I’ll be trying the quick cook next time – I think it will improve the texture. Well worth making again. = )

Stephanie says:

Oh wow, these are amazing! Definitely the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever had. They’re thick and chewy and the flavor is wonderful! AND they’re still great the next day (still nice and chewy and soft) although nothing can really beat fresh from the oven :)

I followed the recipe as written except I used 2c white chocolate chips and 1c semi-sweet chocolate chips as that’s what I had on hand. Delish combo!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Kari says:

I started out feeling just like you today Kate. Different causes, but same feelings. Then…I read your post. I have to tell you I laughed out loud with you and some of the responses! And, then…….I realized I had some giant chocolate chips in the fridge…….and then….I made giant, and regular size cookies….and then….after sampling both 8-D….I declared both good, but giganto had to win the race as there was just so much more melting and heavenliness and who doesn’t like a cookie the size of your face?….mmmmmmmmmmmm….except now I have to go get more milk! ;)
    Thank you…Thank You…THANK YOU!!!!

Nikki Howser says:

Ok. These are aMAZing. I’ve made them at least 5 times since you posted this recipe, the first time being immediately after reading the post! They are outrageously delicious. Thank you for improving my life with these cookies :)

Karen says:

I have a new convection oven and am still trying to figure it out. Have you made these cookies using a convection oven? I used the convection bake/ multi rack option on my oven, decreased the temperature to 300, but they needed to bake several minutes longer. Just wondering if you have any experience with convection baking. Thank you!

evelyn says:

These cookies were delicious! such a hit in my family now :D

Jeni says:

The. Best. Cookie. Ever.

Anupa Harvey says:

The cookie dough for these is so incredible, I’m not sure I’ll have much left to bake! If I made these using a smaller cookie scoop, do I need to adjust the baking time/temp at all?

Julie says:

I’ve never had so many people ask me for a recipe as for this one. I love it! Thank you!

Namma Sue says:

Lady Kate,
    I am a mother of 5, 3 girls in that mix. Currently 3 of my kids are married and I have just had another grandchild as of May 17th. My daughter said to me, its sad that Sister Monson passed on that day. I said, No – think of it like this, AS she left, our new little baby was coming down. Perhaps they had a conversation along the way. This is how I see it more clearly. There has to be a trade off, where one returns and another leaves. SO – as far as your yearning for your mother – remember, her thoughts are with your new little one. They have spoken!. She carries more than you know about your mother with her. I truly believe that. You are a tender hearted gal. My eldest daughter Becca turned me your way to your book (and your cowriter). Thanks for sharing such a wonderful part with so many women on earth. It does your mother’s heart a world of good.

namma Sue

kristal says:

My daughter and I are going to make these today except instead of chocolat we’reeusing raisins. I love a good oatmeal raisin cookie!

Shannon says:

These are amazing!! I don’t bake… like ever. I have messed up every other recipe for cookies, cakes, pies, etc that I have ever made. My sister however is the family baker. I made these cookies this weekend and was told that they are on par with hers! They are soooooooo yummy!! And way easy, even for a non-baker.

Stephanie B. says:

My neighbor just brought these over. I’m in love … and making more right now. She sent me the recipe and said she only made 1 substitution – she used half vanilla and half almond extract. Holy mama!

Julie says:

Funny…I was looking up a good oatmeal CCC recipe and realized I’m feeling exactly the way you described in this post.

Jenny S says:

I live in Logan and LOVE Old Grist Mill, and came across your recipe because I was looking for a cookie recipe similar to theirs. I’ve been making cookies since I was 12 and have tried every recipe I could get my hands on, but I think this very well may be the best recipe EVAHHHH! ;) So thanks!

Hi,
    I’ve drooled over this post since I first read it, and am finally ready to make them!
    A couple naive questions though…
    1) If I only have light brown sugar, will this be a problem, or affect it negatively? If so, is there anything else I can do to help it, without going out to buy molasses or dark brown sugar? (Like would maybe dark homemade vanilla extract, or pure maple syrup do anything here?)
    2) I also only have Quaker ‘Old Fashioned’ oats…is this very different, or will it affect the recipe if I don’t have ‘quick?’

Thanks for your help, and this amazing-looking recipe! Oatmeal Chocolate Chip is my Husband’s favorite cookie, so I can’t wait to make these for him ASAP! : )

Sara Wutzke says:

I love that this recipe doesn’t have cinnamon. I’m not anti-cinnamon by any means but sometimes you just want a straight up buttery chocolate flavor!