First of all, to all our Logan, Utah peeps–we know you guys always get the short straw when it comes to book signings, but both of us will be doing a book signing at the Deseret Book store in Logan at 7:00 TONIGHT! Please come!

So you know how I have this thing where I feel like my family and I need to eat Sloppy Joes after we’ve been trick-or-treating? Oh, wait, you probably didn’t know that. But I do–I feel like you should make Sloppy Joes and keep them warm in a slow cooker while you’re out trolling for candy and then eat them when you get back.

But sometimes I feel a little crazy, like I need to mix things up. Like with hot dogs. In a Sloppy Joe-like sauce, dying to be sprinkled with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped onions and eaten after a chilly night of trick-or-treating. Don’t worry, I can hear all you hard-core foodies groaning from here. Hot dogs? In Sloppy Joe-like sauce? Yep. And guess what? They are frickin’ amazing. True story: We had a party at our house last month and I made Pepperoncini Beef Sandwiches (which are always a huge hit) for the grown-ups and an earlier test version (because the time to test recipes is when you’re having guests, of course) of these hot dogs for the kids. Guess what everybody ate? The hot dogs. And that was before I got the recipe totally the way I wanted it.

The awesome news is that these are super easy. For the sauce, you’ll need apple juice, an onion, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.

Quick note: I’m being very brand-specific in this recipe, but no part of this blog post is sponsored and we are not being compensated by any of these companies in any way. They’re just the products I use and like. And a commercial I think is funny.

See the chili sauce? That’s what you want; it’s not spicy at all. Yes, people have emailed us before and said that they’ve used Sriracha or other Asian chili sauces in recipes that call for this kind of chili sauce. And they were sad. Also, I do realize that this looks like it could be an ad for Walmart brand foodstuffs. It’s not, I promise; I just like to save money on little things so I don’t have to feel bad for spending more on other things. Like high-quality bacon and hot dogs.

I moved out of Costco-land almost 5 years ago, but I hear terrible rumors that you can no longer buy the Kosher dogs they used to sell. Which is really sad because they were amazing. But I really love these hot dogs (Oscar Mayer Selects).

I also love the series of commercials for this line of products. Like this one:

Aaaanywho. Back on track after the silly distraction.

In a large skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until the bacon is crisp. Drain the bacon on a paper towel, leaving the drippings in the pan. Add the onion and garlic

to the drippings and saute until the onions are tender and fragrant. Side note: onions and garlic cooking in bacon drippings is one of the most swoon-worthy smells ever.

Add the chili sauce, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, crumbled bacon, and apple juice and bring to a boil. Add the hot dogs and cook for 5-10 minutes until the sauce is thickened and the hot dogs are hot. Either serve immediately or transfer to a slow cooker set to the low setting. Serve with shredded cheese and chopped onions.

Yum! I love you. And hot dogs.
    And you.

Carlee says:

Oh my gosh these look so great! You are making me so hungry. I would love to try these. Yum!
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

suzie says:

Wow! You even made a hot dog(which I normally can’t stand)look amazing.

Ellie says:

I love that last Friday was skinny snacks and today is hot dogs with extra fat added to them. You guys have a little something for everyone!

Elizabeth says:

Sounds wonderful!! Question: Did you crumble the cooked bacon and add it back into the sauce or was the bacon just for the grease to cook the onions in?

Becky says:

It never occurred to me to use the crock pot for an easy meal after trick or treat. I’m totally doing this! Thanks for the great idea!

Barbara says:

So sad! I live in Cache Valley, but have to go to Provo tonight so I’ll miss you! Love your books, though!

Michelle K says:

Is it crazy that I totally want these like NOW and it’s only 8:30am here in CA?!?!!? We WILL be trying these very soon :)

Kim says:

What did you do with the bacon?

Margaret says:

Your description of garlic and onion in bacon grease fits us to a T. My husband wishes Yankee Candle or Glade would come out with that fragrance.

Danielle says:

It is kind of like you are the naughty shoulder angel and sara is the good shoulder angel this week. Sad to say that I feel more susceptible to your enticings that hers.

Liana says:

I love those hot dogs! Sodium Nitrate is one of my migraine triggers so I wasn’t able to eat hot dogs for a long time. When these came out I ate a hot dog a day for a week! The sauce looks so yummy. I can’t wait to try it.

Sheila h. says:

Hot dog party! Hope this is as good as it looks.

Hot dogs are a great food to feed a large crowd. Always looking for new ways to ‘dress’ them up!

Becca Hayes says:

Hi, a question for you. How much sauce does this make? Like if I was going to make this for a crowd (like 50 people) do I really need 6 or 7 bottles of hot sauce? I have to feed our robotics team (students and mentors) and this sounds perfect! Thanks!

Lorrie says:

When I had my blog, I felt the same way about posting recipes like this. Your blog is very balanced on all different types of meals for a family. Never doubt yourself. You run a great blog and your first cookbook was the first cookbook I bought my oldest son when he moved out on his own. He has lost about 60 lbs eating better with your recipes and our family ones. The next one should be a Christmas present. This looks like another winner especially for watching football and I am sending it his way right now.

Glen says:

These remind me of the hot dogs I ate in Brazil. Down there a hot dog is much more than what they are here. Thanks.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday about Brazilian hot dogs and she didn’t believe me when I told her all of the things you top on a hot dog down there! If I ever post a recipe for Brazilian hot dots, you have to promise me you’ll comment because I’m pretty sure it will freak everyone else out, haha!

• Glen says:

I can already see the comments. You are right. Brazil has a very unique and tasty way of making hot dogs and hamburgers (X-Todo).

Andy says:

You both did an amazing job at TOFW today. Love you guys! I totally think we’d be BFFs in real life. I love my new OBB cookbook.

Melanie from SLC says:

Normally I’m not a big fan of hot dogs, but my kids love them so I decided to make these tonight. They were SO good! Everyone snarfed them down. Even now, hours later, my house still smells like the sauce. In fact, it’s making me want to sneak to the fridge and have another one. I won’t. But I want to.

The saucy hot dogs are even saucier if they are scored barber pole style before heating in the sauce. Yummy! Love the Hebrew National dogs.

heidi says:

as for your comment on the non-kosher dogs at costco, they still sell Hebrew National (which are my favorite). the costco brand dogs are about as kosher as you can get with out being kosher though. the reason why the food court can no longer carry hebrew national dogs is here at this costco magazine link http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200903/?pg=26#pg26

RetroMom says:

I just wanted to comfort your fears and tell you that Costco has NOT stopped selling the bestest ever hot dogs, which are Hebrew National (how’s that for name dropping?) They still sell the kosher dogs in the refrigerator section.

Where they don’t sell them anymore is the concession counter. Those are now Kirkland Signature branded all-beef hot dogs. And while most of the time, I’m just fine and dandy with KS brand, in this case, it does not measure up. And that is sad, to be sure.

All that being said, we will be trying the special hot dog sauce this weekend, because Friday is homecoming and we won’t have time for a big dinner.

Diane says:

I just bought the Hebrew National kosher hot dogs at Costco the other day! Not sure if those are the ones you’re talking about.

Wendy Perkins says:

We don’t trick-or-treat, but I can think of a ton of other reasons to make this. Thank you for giving permission to feed this to grown-ups by the way. :)

FYI: Costco no longer sells the Jumbo Kosher dogs, but they do sell “regular” sized ones.

Nika says:

Count me in! And thanks for introducing those commercials–I had never seen them before and they were good for a laugh. I think I’ll buy their hot dogs just because they made me chuckle. :) The dad in skinny jeans, oh man…

Saw this recipe and knew I had to make it. Of course being the type that I am, I added to it, to make it more of a chili dog as that is what I have been craving for a LONG time. You can see my adaptation of this recipe here: http://pinterest911.blogspot.ca/2012/10/now-those-are-some-cheeky-chili-dogs.html

Thank you for sharing this recipe…it will be used for years to come!

Our Halloween tradition has been mummy fingers (hot dog wrapped in half a tortilla with cheese in it to keep it together, end of hot dog cut to look like a finger nail, and baked) and chili on the side. Sad thing is we don’t even have kids, we just love holidays and goofy foods and eat this after all the happy little trick or treaters have come and gone! This sounds really good though and kind of similar to something else I make. Will definitely have to try it, yum! Must be good if people chose it over Peperoncini Beef, which is a favorite of ours.

Amanda Parks says:

These look so good! I’m making them right now with our caribou hot dogs. Can’t wait to try them. :)

kelsey says:

Am I the only one whose feed is still showing this a week later? All last week’s “updates” just kept showing the hot dogs and no new recipes, even though it says there are supposed to be new recipes. What’s happening??!!!

Juliana says:

I’m having issues with this blog too. All I can see is the hot dog recipe. I just came to check on the comments to make sure I’m not the only one having problems seeing new posts. :( Help!!!

Stephanie says:

Just made these for dinner. This recipe has officially ruined plain old hotdogs and regular sloppy joes for me… and I’m so glad!!! These were fan-fricken-tastic!!

awesome bale balle

ana says:

This has been a favorite way in our family to eat hot dogs since I got the recipe from The Essential Mormon Cookbook a few years ago. The author recommends Homade brand chili sauce, but I have always been partial to Heinz, myself. Others might like to know that the recipe states that the sauce is good as hors d’oeuvres in a chafing dish. You can serve “Lit’l Smokies” in the sauce with toothpicks.

J says:

Living in Tokyo for a couple years, and recently had some other expat friends over for a “We Miss America” party. I managed to find all the ingredients to make these hotdogs, since they seemed a fitting tribute to America, and we just about ate ourselves into a coma they were so good. We just couldn’t stop.

Nicole says:

Awesome! I am excited to try this for an easy BBQ food. If you make a huge amount, do you make equal parts sauce? I mean, if I want to do 40 hotdogs, do I need 5x the sauce, or do you just need enough to make sure all the hot dogs are coated well? Hope that makes sense.

I think you could probably get away with 1 batch of sauce for 2x the hot dogs. So if you’re doing 40 hot dogs, I’d probably make 2.5 times the sauce. Maybe 3 for good measure. :)

Jana Neser says:

I made these for Halloween last night and they will be our new tradition!! They were AMAZING! Best hot dog of my life!