Those of you who anxiously wait up for our posts to go up each night probably noticed that our posts were late going up both on Friday and this morning. I was originally scheduled to post this on Friday. I had about 90% of it written before we left on our trip to Utah and I was going to finish it up on Thursday night when we had a family emergency. Not like a Kate emergency where I run out of sweetened condensed milk and I don’t want to go to the store, like a real, true, life-or-death kind of emergency. Thankfully, through what I can only describe as a series of miracles and blessings, everything and everyone is fine. I’m not totally ready to put it all out there for the world quite yet, mostly because I’m sure someone will have something not nice to say and my heart can’t quite take it right now, but PSA of the Day: Be careful. And know CPR.

Anyway. While Sara’s been rocking it with her weight loss, I have also been working at getting off the baby weight (and then some, hopefully). I’ve talked before so many times about how much I hate dealing with lunch for myself. Part of it is that my dad worked from home growing up, so during the summer when we were home from school, we often went out to lunch so he could get out of the house and break up his day. So I really like going out to lunch. But that can be brutal on healthy eating habits.

I’ve used Weight Watchers to lose weight in the past and that’s what I’m doing now. And, as you probably know, food is assigned a point value and you have a certain number of points you can eat every day. So, sometimes when I’m out and about, I’ll grab something that has low-ish points.

Like, for instance, a McDonald’s cheeseburger. It has 8 points, which, for me, is a good number for lunch. But all I get for 8 points is a little, super-processed, super salty cheeseburger on a stale bun.

I started making these wraps a few weeks ago and they’re 9 points, but full of vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats. And they keep me fueled through the afternoon, instead of starving 2 hours later.

Keep in mind that I’m nursing, so the numbers that are good for me might be a little high if you’re trying to eat fewer calories/points. It’s easy to cut back on the dressing, reduce or leave out the sunflower seeds, or buy a lower-calorie tortilla.

You’ll need a whole wheat tortilla,

hummus (I use red pepper hummus, and you could use this recipe here), some chopped roasted red peppers, a couple tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese, a little Newman’s Oil and Vinegar dressing (or your favorite vinaigrette) ,a handful of spinach, about 1/2 cup of chopped cucumber (I use those delicious baby English cucumbers), and a tablespoon of sunflower seeds.

Spread the hummus on the tortilla.

Hear your baby giggling in his Bumbo seat. Turn around and see the dog licking the heck out of him.

Pause your wrap-making to wipe down your baby with disinfecting wipes and put the dog away.

Layer the remaining ingredients, drizzling with the dressing last.

Wrap and eat immediately. Makes 1 wrap.

Nutritional Information:

Calories: 350
Fat: 22
Carbs: 30
Fiber: 6
Protein: 11
Weight Watchers Points: 9

Thanks for doing the healthy recipes this time of year! I hate making lunch too- especially since I am vegetarian so putting a quick sandwich together isn’t as easy for me :).

Jenny says:

SO thankful things ended up okay for you! What a blessing…
    And this wrap looks fabulous. I needed a suggestion for a good momma lunch (better than the pbj crusts of my boys!)

Jenny says:

And your little guy is darling, by the way!

Ellie says:

Sounds like you had quite a scare! So sorry you had to go through that, especially at a time that was already busy and stressful with traveling. I’m glad everyone is fine and I hope your heart heals quickly.

Thanks for a fresh lunch idea. I think I feel the same way you do about lunch but for me it’s mostly the idea of having to get stuff out and then clean up the kitchen for another whole meal. This looks quick, easy, low-fuss, and delicious!

Julia says:

I am going to get these ingredients to have on hand for lunch this week. There is a wheat tortilla/wrap from La Tortilla Factory (Smart and Delicious line). I usually can find them in the deli section. Really high in fiber and lower in fat than a regular wheat tortilla. They are pretty good, especially knowing they are easier on the diet.

Melissa says:

This recipe looks delicious, but that baby really steals the show!

Jenna says:

I’m so glad everyone is ok. And your baby is adorable! Can’t wait to try these!

DaNelle says:

You can lose weight without having to follow Weight Watchers, I was able to lose 25 lbs. easily by eating a whole food diet. If I could do it, anybody can! You would probably do awesome on a whole foods diet because you’re such an exceptional cook!

DaNelle recently posted…How I lost 25 lbs.(without exercise or counting calories)

Lynette says:

I’m glad everybody is doing ok. Scary emergency things are no fun at all. And I love it when your recipes include: spread, layer, eat. :) Fabulous. These sound yummy. I agree with you on the lunch thing. Lunch is sometimes my hardest meal to figure out for myself (especially since I am also nursing). Thanks for the yummy recipes!

Andra says:

I just love your recipes. I was able to see you present on Saturday and I just wanted to thank you for truly inspiring me. I can totally relate to the fridge in the middle of the room. :) I have a 3 and a almost 2 year old. I was grateful to see my boys are not the only terrors out there! I too feel so much guilt not feeling perfect and having a perfect home etc. Thank you inspiring me to do the best I can and that I too can live a normal life without making everything from scratch. I did not make my own organic baby food! Thank you for being real and great women. Here’s to a great day!

Callie says:

So glad that everything turned out okay! I just ate breakfast but I totally want to eat this right now–looks delicious!!

Andrea says:

Such a great picture of the baby! A little dog slobber never hurt anyone.

Recipe looks great. I also hate making lunch, I think because it’s just me and seems like such a waste.

Glad everyone is okay.

Diane says:

I’m glad everything is okay with your family! I would hope someone wouldn’t say something mean about whatever your emergency was. Your baby is so adorable!!! This recipe looks great. I also hate lunch. It’s my worst meal to prepare, eat, and cleanup, even though really it is the least messy and time intensive of all the meals. Thanks for the new idea!

Do you know if hummus freezes well?

Thank you! You know, you’d THINK people wouldn’t, but it seems like there’s always someone who says something hurtful in situations like these. If you’re curious and have some detective skills, KSL news in Salt Lake City did a story on Friday about the teenager who helped us out.

As far as freezing hummus goes, that’s an excellent question. I’ve never tried it, but I should for research purposes! :)

• Carly says:

Oh my goodness, Kate. I just read the article. I’m so happy everything is okay. Such a scary thing. Hugs to you and your family. And to the sweet teenage boy who helped.

• alicia says:

I’ve never left a comment before, but I just wanted to say I’m glad things worked out for you. Almost the exact same thing happened in my family this summer. It was awful, and we are still recovering. I wish I could give you a hug! Thank goodness for both of us!

• alicia says:

And I couldn’t avoid the google searches either:( Sometimes I still can’t believe how blessed we were through the whole ordeal. A teenage girl helped us out too. Thanks goodness for the awesome young people out there!

• Diane says:

I am pretty sure I found the article/clip. How scary. Made me tear up. What a blessing that boy listened to the Spirit! Glad everything is okay, though I’m sure everyone is still shaken up by it.

This sounds delightful! What a light, tasty sounding snack!

Rebecca says:

I’m so glad that everyone is okay, Kate. I’ll send extra positive thoughts your way today. And, oh my goodness, your baby is so cute I can’t even stand it! Oh, and that wrap looks delicious too!

Jenny says:

Oh Kate, I played detective and oh my word…. bless you, and thank God for a happy ending! It could happen to any of us. A friend of mine always says that children would never make it to adulthood if God didn’t give them angels! Sounds like yours was there at just the right time.

Megan says:

Glad all is well- emergencies are never fun! If you ever get sick of Weight Watchers (like I did) another great program is myfitnesspal. It’s a lot like WW but calories not points. I’ve done both and like MFP better. Just thought I’d share!

cindy says:

I was lucky enough to be in attendance at Time Out For Women on Saturday. You two were the hit of the weekend for me. My children are raised but I laughed and easily related to your message.
    It took a major health issue (multiple back surgeries) for me to slow down and enjoy my children; to be the mother they needed instead of the super Mom I thought I should be.
    Now I enjoy my grandchildren, spend hours on the phone with my kids encouraging them along the way. Life is good. Thank you for your fun reminders.
    Glad all is well–and I do love your blog and cookbooks. Thanks.

cindy says:

I just checked the KSL site. Wow, what scare. I’m so glad all is well. How were you able to do your presentation Saturday? Thank you, thank you. Hope this week is calm and uneventful.

You know, I almost didn’t do it on Saturday, and even then, I felt flustered and like the words just weren’t coming out the way I wanted them to. But I felt so much peace during the entire ordeal, and at that point, he had been released from the hospital and was doing relatively well, so I didn’t want to make that huge, hard trip with all my kids for nothing, you know?

Lindsey says:

This sounds really good and filling!

Ellie says:

So glad to hear that everything turned out okay!!! CPR saves lives!
    And the wrap sounds great too.

Stacey L says:

I’m so glad to hear everything is okay, angels are all around us. I really enjoyed your presentation on Saturday! You Sara did a great job! THANKS!!!

Melanie Elwood says:

Kate, you’re an amazing mom and an inspiration to many. I think I read the ksl story about your scare. What a blessing to have angels, on both sides of the veil, around us. Your story and the amazing message you shared at tofw (both in Logan and slc) have reminded me to hug my kids more often! Thanks for all you do!

Kira says:

Looks yummy and your baby boy looks yummier!

Patti says:

It was wonderful to see you Saturday and give you that big hug. I could tell you weren’t your normal self, but I didn’t expect you to be all perky after what you’d been through. You are right, Sara IS rocking it with her weight loss. She looked dynamite! It was also really fun to see your little parade of people after we left the bookstore. Glad to see for myself that all was well. We even took a peek at Will, although he was sleeping. Love you!

Tish says:

Thank you for this recipe. I’ve been in a “what to eat for lunch” funk lately and usually end up eating a PB&J or Soup. I’m glad that you are not afraid to talk about Weight Watchers. I can’t wait to meet you this week in Arizona. The weather is great not to hot and not to cold!

amelia says:

i’m so glad all is well! i’m about to do some detective work, but i wanted to give you the heads up that there’s not a link to a hummus recipe, but it looks like you intended to put one in there. also, i have a story about brazilian cheese puffs that i need to send to y’all.

WW-friendly OBB recipes? Yes, please! It’s so hard to stay on plan at this time of year, so I appreciate all the healthy tips and recipes I can get. Thank you!!

Anything with feta is a great lunch in my book. And I’m glad your emergency worked out okay. Best of luck to you!

Thesha says:

Thank you for this delicious looking recipe and I am so very sorry about your family emergency whatever it may have been. I truly hope that you are all well and that everything is okay.

Meredith says:

I’ve been playing around with a hummus wrap lunch idea, but I’m sure this will be so much better!! It’s amazing how you both keep this blog running strong along with the events of life … Hoping the best for you and your family and thank you for continuing to share your amazing talents :-)

Shelby says:

So scary! Thank goodness that boy listened to the Spirit. So glad your little man is ok. Will is adorable!

Gail says:

Oh, Kate! Every mother’s WORST nightmare, thank goodness it turned out OK. I’m so impressed you were able to pull it together for Saturday, and hope you get a melt-down time soon–at least, if it was me, I’d NEED that:P

GORGEOUS pictures on the wrap (and your cutie:), btw!

I had a total meltdown last night (and I’m sure it won’t be the last). Google is FULL of things I didn’t want to know, but I couldn’t stop searching and I was kind of a mess.

Thank you for your sweet words!

Emilee says:

I’m so glad everything’s okay! And thank you for a good lunch idea. I used to eat wraps with hummus and veggies but have gotten lazy with feeding myself healthy since I spend all day getting my kids snacks (and it shows!). Thanks for the reminder some good ideas.

Sarah says:

Hugging my kids extra tight today as I’m sure you are! So sorry for what you’ve had to experience! I know you and your family will be blessed with healing and peace! :)

Auntiepatch says:

I always say, “Keep your I Love You’s up to date!” Blessings on you & your family!

K says:

My heart goes out to you. I’ve had two different times when I’ve driven my son to the ER praying the entire time he would live. So glad everything turned out o.k.

Rachel says:

So sorry that you have been through a scary, difficult event. Glad that everything is ok now. Your CPR comment may have been for me – I am not CPR certified and know I should be. The husband of a close friend of mine just had to perform CPR on her a week ago and I got the same message from her. Can’t put this off any longer.

Chris says:

wrap looks really good…..you might want to know that bumbo seats have been recalled because of head injuries to babies……might want to check that out…..saw it on TV just last night…..

The Bumbo recall is (unfortunately) because of parents not using them correctly. The recall was because people were either using them with babies that are too big/strong for them and/or putting the Bumbos on elevated surfaces, so if a baby arches itself out of the seat, they end up falling from a table or a counter. They’re ONLY designed to be used on the floor. :)

Nancy Swarthout says:

I am glad everything turned out well for you, but sorry you had to deal with it.

Thank you for the recipe. That is right up my alley and I just started back on weight watchers so this is great!

Jenny says:

I am so excited to try this! Looks amazing! I just had a question….I noticed you talk about adding roasted red peppers to the wrap but it is not in the ingredient list….how much do you add? Thanks!

Troy Louise says:

This sounds really yummy & I could use the healthy lunch idea. So glad everything is okay – and if someone has something not nice to say, shame on them! Darling pic of your little guy. Thanks. P.S. I am loving your new cookbook.

This looks fabulous . I also love that the points are already figured out for me since I have been doing Weight Watchers. I actually came on to figure out the points for your chocolate banana bread.
    Keep up the great work

Heather K Miller says:

Wow, Kate. I am so sorry for what you went through. Tears stung my eyes as I read the story. I am beyond grateful things worked out the way they did. Shame on anyone who would make an insensitive or mean comment to you. I’m going to go hug my kids and make sure they know I love them. Things like this just remind me of the miracles all around us. I hope you are all doing well.
    Ps…I got my beautiful mixer the other day from you guys. Thanks so much! I can’t say it enough.

Laura says:

My mom (Patti) told me what happened and my heart goes out to you. I’m so glad that it ended well and you were saved from tragedy. I hope all is well with your son and your sweet family.

Wendy says:

This looks fabulous! I am recovering from gastric bypass surgery, and this is just the kind of thing I will be wanting to have for lunch when I am eating again! I might add some chicken for additional protein, but other than that, it looks perfect!

Erika says:

I didn’t know how many people were on Weight Watchers til I joined just over a month ago. Just know you have a big supporter in central Texas! I totally believe in the program and know that it works! Glad things are okay with your little man. You are a great mom and a big inspiration to so many! I hope your heart heals fully, and quickly

Lorelei says:

Thanks for another vegetarian addition. Love this!

Cat says:

Looks soo yummy! I will have to try:-) happy that u and yours are doing fine:-) oh just wondering…is it ok to use disinfectant wipes on a babies skin? I have always thought of it, but never did, in fear that it would not be healthy for their sensitive skin. Just wondering:-) now I need to go make me a wrap!

Johnson & Johnson makes disinfecting wipes. They’re not full-blown germ killing wipes, but they’re supposed to kill more germs than regular baby wipes. They do stink to high heaven, though… :)

• Cat says:

Oh nice to know! I will have to look into it, would come in handy with keeping my kiddies clean (5yr old, 2 yr old and 2 month old)!:-)

Melissa says:

I hope your family is ok after the emergency, prayers for a calm period for you all!

I have frozen my homemade hummus and saw no issue in texture or flavor….

Elizabeth says:

Thanks for another yummy recipe! And I am SO very sorry for the scary time you had. I will be praying for you, that you will have peace and comfort in the coming days.

Jana Neser says:

Just read the story and it made me cry! I am so so sorry you had to go through that. Thank goodness everything turned out okay. Your baby is adorable by the way :)

Katie says:

These wraps look amazing! SO much better (and healthier) than the chicken nuggets I ate with my kids for lunch today. I couldn’t help but be a detective and oh, wow. Kate, that is so scary. Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago. Luckily it didn’t get to the point of CPR but it was still the worst feeling in the world.

cwaltz says:

I’m glad everyone is okay. Don’t stress about what others will say though.

I’m thrilled to see calories and point values. I’ve recently joined the ranks of overweight(not by much by medical standards but I weigh more than I did fully pregnant with my first child.) Maybe some recipes like this will help me get back on track.

Kellie says:

The wrap looks yum,and that baby is adorable.

Thanks Kate, WW must be working out for you because I noticed at TOFW how great you are looking! I need motivation like you two to keep me going and eating healthy, so post all the healthy stuff you can! And I’m glad that everyone in your family is OK, I’m sure whatever it was, was a very scary experience.

Tia McKee says:

Love this! I have been looking for a good wrap for a while now thanks for this one!

Heidi hatch says:

Sounds yummy! What department at the store is the hummus in? Cheese, dips? I have no idea.

So sorry for what happened to you. You are so blessed to have an amazing angel teenager who listened to the spirit. I hope you are all recovering well.

Katrina says:

I am so sorry for what happened to your family- I hope everyone has only kind, loving words for you if/when you decide to talk about it. Accidents happen all the time- as parents we can’t always see everything with all of our children all of the time. Are prayers will be with you- and the teenage boy that helped you.

Katrina says:

I am so sorry for what happened to your family- I hope everyone has only kind, loving words for you if/when you decide to talk about it. Accidents happen all the time- as parents we can’t always see everything with all of our children all of the time. Our prayers will be with you- and the teenage boy that helped you.

Allison Brenn says:

I love hummus! Thanks for sharing that salad dressing too…. now I have to go to the store to find some since I am betting I will love it! I am SO sorry to hear about your terrifying scare over the weekend. I read that article on KSL and tears came to my eyes because I was just praying for the mom of the little one. Now that I realize it was you, my heart just aches!! Have your meltdown and know that the flood of scary emotions will keep coming and are totally appropriate! I have had to perform CPR on my son and rescue breath for him on a few occasions (he has a heart condition) and there is nothing more terrifying as a mother. Hugs to you and take a break from everything and just enjoy your family!

Sylvia says:

Those look amazing! I always need ideas for healthy, fast lunches. Lunchtime is my hardest time. Thank you!

Sheila H. says:

Just ate this for lunch and it was delish. I had a freshly roasted red pepper and fresh hummus (Holly’s Hummus on Allrecipes.com). Perfect lunch.

shaina says:

So glad to hear that everything is okay. I can’t imagine what that must have been like for you. And just a big thank you for all the amazing recipes you two give us.

I sure hope everything is ok!! Your little one is so precious (I am a dog lover so I find this extra cute)!

Audrey says:

I just had this for lunch, and it’s so yummy! Thanks for all the great recipes. I’m so sorry about your scare. I went through the exact same thing with my then 4 year old several years ago. It was the worst day and night of my life. My heart goes out to you. I still have a hard time thinking about it. We experienced many blessings that saved him that day, as I’m sure you did too! You’ll be in my prayers.