You know how every summer, I spend about 92% of my time complaining about the weather in Louisiana? Yes, it’s true, summer in Louisiana kills my soul (and just for kicks, I thought I’d throw pregnancy into the mix this last summer…it was amazing when my baby was born and I suddenly didn’t feel overheated and filled murderous rage the vast majority of the time). But what’s even more melancholy for this Utah girl are the lack of distinct seasons. Winter can be yucky. Or it could just feel like spring. But we never really get a spring or a fall, which are my two favorite seasons. And in  November, when it’s in the 60s or 70s and I get all homesick for the swirling leaves and crisp, chilly air and legitimate sweater-wearing, I start making food that reminds me of home.

When the weather does get even remotely chilly, I jump all over it. Bust out the corduroys and the Christmas music and make rustic, homey things in my slow cooker like beans with smokey bacon and earthy rosemary. It’s perfect comfort food, especially when you use a loaf of hearty bread like ciabatta and this garlic bread seasoning to make a loaf of garlic bread to dip into your beans.

You’ll need bacon (make sure it’s not maple bacon…yummy as it is, it would only make you sad here), a pound of dry great northern beans, an onion, some garlic, a quart of chicken broth, red wine vinegar, and fresh rosemary.

Take your beans…

and rinse them, picking through them and picking out any stones or yucky, shriveled beans.

Then cut your bacon up into bite-sized pieces.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and then add the bacon. Cook until crisp and then remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set it aside.

Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of bacon drippings and discard the rest. Add the onion

and cook until tender and fragrant. When the onion is almost done cooking, add the garlic and cook for 1-2 additional minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place the beans, chicken broth, water, garlic, onion, and bacon in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours (high elevations may need longer) or low all day. Or you could start it on high until it boils and then turn it down low. Or soak your beans first and cook them shorter. This could really be it’s very own post. But just cook them until the beans are tender. Add the vinegar, chopped rosemary, and season with salt and pepper to taste. This serves about 6-8.

ALSO. If you haven’t already entered our mega-giveaway, be sure to head over there and do that!

Kari says:

Ahhh yes…the dreaded no seasons south.I lived in Arkansas for a couple of years,and was totally prego too! I have a sibling photo of us in Nebraska for Christmas. Everyone was in jeans and sweaters…except me! I had on shorts and a t-shirt, and was loving it! I just saw your fantastic looking bean dish…and now I can use up that fresh rosemary I got for the fabulous stuffing we had for Thanksgiving. Artichokes and cheese? YUM-A_LUMMA! So now I can’t wait to try these! AND, I don’t throw away the bacon drippings! (GASP!!) I store them in a sealed container in the fridge to add nummy yummies to my other foods. Oh…and I roasted garlic heads wrapped in foil WITH the turkey..then added to mashed potatoes…HEAVEN!! Thanks for the great turkey day dishes!

Oh, I love crock-pot beans! I don’t know that I could ever live away from the mountains and season changing. Good for you for sticking it out! :) You’re a better woman than I!

Samantha says:

Do you really cook this on high for that long?

Grace says:

I totally sympathize. We moved to Savannah, GA from Idaho for my hubby’s graduate program and we miss the seasons, too. I even miss the snow, although I don’t miss scraping it off my car. The biggest bummer about Savannah is that when the weather starts to cool off and get nice, the sand gnats come out. But we are moving back this Christmas, so I’ll go for a tromp in the snow and drink some hot cocoa for you. :)

Lee says:

Could I mix beans in this recipe? I have a half bag of Great Northerns and a full bag of red kidneys in the pantry. This sounds so good.

I probably wouldn’t. White beans are kind of creamy and are more tender, while the kidney beans are definitely heartier. White beans also cook more quickly, so I think you might end up with a weird texture/flavor combo. :)

Lark says:

My hubby and I were stationed at Ft Stewart, Georgia as newlyweds. No air conditioning in the apt, no air in the car. My poor cats had flea infestations like no other place we have ever lived since: Bugs, heat, loneliness. One of my neighbors, four were chaplains, gave me my first bean soup recipe, a true comfort food, for which I was so grateful. What a wash of memories this recipe brings! I am eager to try your recipe with rosemary. What a hearty, pungent herb to compliment the creaminess of the white beans. I just love your food ideas!

Molly says:

This comment may be really silly… but… would you serve this like a soup as a main course, or would it probably be more for a side to compliment something else? I’m wanting to make it as a main…

Not a dumb question at all! It’s not *really* soup, but it can stand on its own as a main course–try serving it with bread and salad. Or you could serve it as a side dish to something else. Hope that helps! :)

Stacey says:

So, I live in the sticks and our grocery store is sadly understocked when it comes to delicious FRESH things like herbs and even some of the more exotic (non-Utah) veggies. So, I don’t have any way to get my hands on fresh rosemary. Can I sub dried and just add it earlier while it is simmering to bring out the flavor? This gross negligence also means that after all these years I also haven’t tried your pesto recipes. Its a hardship.

You can try it–rosemary is an herb that translates pretty well from fresh to dried, but I’ve never tried it in this recipe.

One thing you can try (maybe not now, but in the warmer months) is buying a rosemary (or basil) plant in the plant section of Lowe’s or Walmart (if you have those). They’re way cheaper and you can keep it all year. :)

Ned says:

This looks so great! Is there a good substitute for garlic?

Ruth says:

The quick answer is NO, of course not. The nicer answer is, why so you need a substitute? Flavor opinions?, allergies?, availability? That may make a big difference in what you might substitute.

• Ned says:

Ruth, I have an allergy to it. Just wondering if I could still keep the flavor without the reaction.

Shae says:

My husband is looking into a fellowship in Shreveport… Is this something I should be dreading!? The beans look great, are you anti canned beans when it comes to cooking? I have never used dry beans, they intimidate me.

It’s an adjustment, I’m not gonna lie. But if you’re going into it knowing it’s going to be a temporary situation and there are going to be other medical students around, I think it would be okay. I’ve never been to Shreveport, though. :)

Kelli says:

I’ve lived in the South all of my life and there are defintely things to complain about here–namely the months of summer that skip right over fall and spring. BUT…when you can wear flipflops and tee-shirts in March (and usually throughout January and February) it makes it a little bit worth it. But, I will say that around here if the weather so much at hints at being cold (like today–59 all day) everyone busts out sweaters, boots and chili for supper! These beans look great. :)

Susanne says:

Is there another herb you can replace the rosemary with that would pair just as nice? We are not crazy about rosemary but I love white beans!

Since you’re not adding it until the very end, I would probably leave it out, taste the beans, and then decide if you want to add anything. You could add fresh thyme or cayenne pepper or lemon zest or all sorts of things that would be delicious! :)

Kristin says:

I hear you on the stupid weather down here! I’m a Washington girl transplanted to TX. When the temps drop here (60) and I’m happy in a t-shirt the people here are bundled up like it’s 20! However when they are comfortable in jeans when it’s 95 I’m in as little clothing possible and still sweating to death!! I can’t believe it’s going to be in the upper 70′s for the first days of Dec.!!

Kris says:

I will probably get shouted at for asking this, but is there anything I could substitute for the bacon? I love slow cooker beans, but I’m a vegetarian so bacon is not really my thing. What would you recommend? Sun dried tomatoes? Thanks! :D

Julie says:

Thank you for vocalizing the feelings I experience every fall. People here in FL think that the lack of snow makes up for the lack of seasons. I honestly forget what month it is sometimes. Looking forward to trying this dish. Also, thanks for posting your experience with your son. It has helped me be a much more cautious parent.

Gail says:

How did you KNOW I have fresh rosemary leftover from Thanksgiving that I was looking for a way to use? :) Thanks! YUM

Vicky Westergard says:

We must see things differently when we look out the window here in Louisiana. For the past 3 weeks, I have enjoyed the the leaves in their fall colors, the swirling leaves as I walk on my break and the black-eyed Susans in their abundance along the highways. Everywhere I look, I see the beauty of Fall. I have lived in other parts of the country, including Utah, and I see the same colors here as I did there. As for no Spring, how did you miss the Dogwood Trail where dogwoods bloom in early Spring in white or pink, the red clover that covers the medians, the azaleas, magnolias, wisteria and the budding trees everywhere. Signs of the seasons abound!

jen says:

Made this for dinner tonight. I added minced mini sweet bell peppers for color (orange, red, yellow) with the onions, and it was delicious.
    I love the fresh Rosemary. We have a giant bush in the backyard and I’m always looking for recipes that use Rosemary.
    Flavor was great. I cooked on high in crockpot for 6 hours and it was done. I did omit the vinegar, wasn’t sure if I would like that or not. It hit the spot here in the dreary Pacific northwest.

Kathryn says:

I made this yesterday. We had the missionaries over for dinner. One of the boys cannot eat sugar. Both loved the soup, garlic bread, fruit salad and red onion-topped green salad. I had to work all afternoon, so I had to put this together with a shortcut – I used canned white beans (low sodium). I used 4 cans of white beans, 2 of them I drained, the other 2 I just put all the liquid in. 1 cup of chicken broth instead of 4. 8 cut-up strips of hickory bacon (with the extra white fat trimmed off because it grossed me out to see it). I chopped and crushed my rosemary (a cut that my MIL gave me that I keep in a gallon-size zip lock baggie in my herb cabinet). It softened just fine and gave a great flavor. Everything else I did just as written. It is tasty. I did the bacon prep as directed (holy fatty bacon, batman!), poured the canned beans/onions/pressed garlic and liquid in and put it on Low at 11:00am. I added the butter/rosemary/vinegar and salt at 4:00 and let it cook until the missionaries showed up at 5:15.

Very good for a first-time-bacon-buyer (don’t hate!). The missionaries kept saying things like, “Bacon makes everything amazing.” The soup is 1 for 1.

Alicia says:

Last week I happened to be at the grocery store checking out the Mexican aisle and was intrigued to find ham bouillion that the box suggested to use with beans or in soups. I bought it and was just waiting to try it out in something.

I made this recipe tonight with 2 packets (equivalent to 1/2 pound ham) of bouillion, and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD. It’s very possible that the recipe would’ve been equally amazing without it, but my daughter took 2 bites and declared this her favorite soup ever. It totally rocks; thank you!! I’ve never made a bean soup of this type before (primarily beans), but it was delicious. And healthy. For those who are curious, I ran the nutritionals, and using light butter (50 cal/Tbsp), plus 8 slices of the pre-cooked Hormel bacon (it was all I had on hand) the entire recipe came in at 601 calories.

Cari says:

I made this for dinner tonight, and I have to say……this is my favorite white bean recipe ever. Super yummy!!! I just love rosemary and my twin 4 yo boys gobbled it up! Thanks for a keeper!

Shaynee says:

These beans are AMAZING! The only thing I did differently is use fresh sage instead of rosemary because that’s what I had on hand. We all LOVED it, and my husband actually said that if he ordered this in a restaurant he would not be disappointed. Now, that’s sayng something! We had it with corn bread and honey butter. My husband and the kids saw this as more of a thick soup and it definitely passed for us as a main… it’s very filling. Oh, and I’m in Vegas. It was in the 70s here today. In DECEMBER for goodness sake! Blech…

Heather says:

Made it tonight; LOVED it! My kids liked it, too. I used dried rosemary, because I couldn’t find any fresh, and the kids called it Pine Needle Soup. ha! Delicious anyway :)

meredith says:

My 11-year old told me she could eat this every night and although she is a huge beans and rice fan … it really is that good *and* that easy :-) Thanks for sharing :-)