Posted in Kate, Latin, Mocktails

mint-limeade-thumbnail1 (1)  So if you’re not familiar with Cafe Rio, it’s a fresh Mexican restaurant that began in Utah and has started to sprout up in other US locations. I first discovered it in college and it kind of changed how I viewed Mexican food (and food in general…hello, cilantro and Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette and Creamy Lime-Cilantro dressing and freshly made flour tortillas). After my husband and I got married, it became our go-to place to eat on payday and when I go home, there are two things I must do that are of the most serious and utmost importance: get a haircut and eat at Cafe Rio.

Sara and I made a few trips to Utah last fall and at my first Cafe Rio trek, I made the most wondrous discovery: they were serving fresh mint limeade.

Cafe Rio copycat mint limeade recipe from Our Best Bites If there’s one thing more delicious than a sweet pork salad and a Diet Coke, it’s a sweet pork salad and a fresh mint limeade.

Now…if you’re thinking, “Hey, Kate, mint limeade sounds good (or doesn’t), but this is the week before Easter! Post something Easter-y!”, I would tell you that a) Here’s a whole bunch of Easter-y recipes and b) This recipe is fresh and springy and serves a crowd–perfect for all sorts of Easter gatherings.

The ingredients here are super simple–fresh mint (just mint, not spearmint or peppermint), a whole bunch of limes, sugar, and water. Because the ingredients are so simple, I really recommend using the best ingredients possible–name brand sugar, not the sad, shrively limes at the bottom of the produce pile, and, if you have yucky tap water like I do, some kind of filtered or bottled water (I use the water from our water cooler).

mint limeade ingredients

To make the syrup, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 cups of water, and a few sprigs of mint in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and strain the mint leaves. Allow to cool at room temperature or place in the refrigerator. The syrup can be made a few days ahead of time.

When ready to serve, place the chopped mint leaves

mint limeade2

into the bottom of a large serving pitcher.

mint in bottom of pitcher

Then juice enough limes to get 1 1/2 cups of lime juice. Now, I made this earth-shattering discovery as I was making the limeade this go-around. Unless you have an electric citrus juicer or you’re planning on hiring a professional citrus squeezer, the next easiest way to get your limes juiced is to place a cheap citrus juicer on a work surface that’s about at hip height. I’m short and in the past, I’ve always done this on my kitchen counters, which hits me at about the bottom of my ribs. When I did this on a lower surface, I was able to put my body weight into it a little more and it made the whole process infinitely easier.

Add the syrup, freshly squeezed lime juice,

mint limeade5

and 8 cups of cold water. Taste and add additional water to taste (if necessary). If serving over ice, you might want to make it a tiny bit sweeter than you would normally like to account for the melting ice.

Now…one of my favorite things to do with this drink is to mix 1/2 cup sugar with the zest of a lime in a shallow plate.

mint limeade3

Using a damp paper towel, wipe around the rim of each serving glass and then invert each glass onto the plate to sugar the rims of the glasses. It’s so easy and pretty and delicious! Then just carefully spoon ice into the glasses and pour the limeade into the prepared glasses.

Copycat Cafe Rio Mint Limeade from Our Best Bites

Makes 12-14 servings.

Amanda says:

Otherwise known as a virgin mojito??

I like to use sparkling water, it makes it that much fresher.

Emilee says:

I had a lemonade with fresh mint at a Middle Eastern restaurant once. And it’s been one of those flavors that I keep remembering and wishing I could have again, even years later. I’m so looking forward to making this mint limeade.

You need one of these to juice the limes…

It will change your juicing experience. They are heaven on the juicing!

Thanks for the recipe! Can’t wait to make it!

Dipti patki says:

Yay!! #4 to comment!! And this is recipe is perfect for whenever i call my frnds over for a barbecue.

Becky says:

I can’t wait to try these! I love rimming glasses in deliciousness! I made the s’mores hot chocolate from your cookbook last week and I LOVED having the mugs rimmed in graham cracker crumbs…super fun :)

Kristi Von says:

I love getting that at Cafe Rio – even enough to choose it over Diet Coke! Now I can make it at home, thanks!!

Molly says:

YUM! Thanks. I agree with Emily #3…except I have and use the yellow (lemon) squeezer…works for all limes and most moderate sized lemons. (Made your gumbo again last night…easy peasy delish.)

I just discovered these too (fellow Mormon girl) in the form of Crystal Light’s mojito flavor for water. Delicious!!! I can’t wait to try the full sugar version, which I am sure is even better!

Erika says:

The first thing I do when I go to Utah is go to Cafe Rio and make a hair appointment!! I’m totally making this drink for Easter dinner. Great Easter recipe!

YUMMY!!!! I think now I need the sweet pork salad recipe to go with :)

Carinne Gee says:

I got a Cafe Rio sweet pork and a cilantro dressing recipe from a friend of mine. I never knew what Cafe Rio was…..now I know. (Although, I’m confused. Isn’t Rio in Brazil, and therefore Portuguese and not Mexican?) Ironically, I just made some this past week and have some left overs in the fridge. I LOVE that dressing. I’ll eat it off my fingers. :) Shhh….. don’t tell anyone. I’ll have to try this limeade recipe to go with it! Thanks

Renae says:

We are finally getting a Cafe Rio in Washington State, I’m so excited not to have to wait for a trip to Boise to get my Lowcal Cherry Limeade fix! Speaking of the that, do you have a Lowcal Cherry Limeade copycat recipe? I can’t figure out how to make it as low cal as Cafe Rio.

Kayla says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I now have a recipe for “my crack.” Seriously, this stuff is addicting!

Julia says:

I have heard of something like this that my family calls limericky or somthing like that and its made with the sugar syrup, club soda, and lime juice and is super delicious and refreshing! I am sure this is very similar, will have to try! I love the fizz that the club soda adds, though

Tiffany says:

Do you think a pitcher of this would keep well in the fridge, or does it all need to be served soon after prep?

Teeny Jones says:

I’m going to do this for Easter! And GREAT and BEAUTIFUL pictures!!!!!!

Tieghan says:

This sound so refreshing! I wish I had a glass now!

So refreshing! I could easily down a few glasses :D

Manderley says:

Oh it’s so fresh!!! waoo.
    I love the jars, so cute!!!!!

Greats

Cafe Rio here…
    Thanks for the awesome shout out. Email me…I might have something awesome for you! Keep up the good work, amigo!

dena says:

am i the only one now wanting the sweet pork salad recipe?!?!?

Kricket says:

The Sweet Pork Salad is in the first Our Best Bites cookbook. We LOVE it! I serve it with the Mexican Sweet Pork, Lime Cilantro Pineapple Rice, with black beans, salsa, chips, cheese, loads of lettuce and topped with Lime Cilantro rice. I think that is all found in the first cookbook

Robenso says:

Can you give me an estimate on about how many limes I’ll need? Thanks!

Robenso says:

Ok. For me it was about 10-12 large limes, and I did my juicing by squeezing by hand, not with a juicer of any sort.

Kara says:

Any kind of cool summer-y drink hits the spot. I, too, used 12 limes for this recipe. SO good! I also tried this one I found. A winner, as well.

PJ says:

Thank you so much for this recipe!!! I made it today, and it is so good-just found a new summer favorite!

Sonam says:

It says 1 3/4 suger and 2 cups of water ,what measuring cups do I use to add sugar? Do i use The measurement cup for both water and suger?