St Patty Straw Can someone please explain something to me?  What’s up with the mustache thing?  Kate and I have had many conversations with one another trying to figure out how on earth how mustaches (especially ones on sticks) became a “thing.”  Like, trendy enough that you find sweaters like the one below in the middle of Target.  And trendy enough that people are somehow convinced they need to jump on Pinterest crazes and make mustaches a part of important life events like one’s WEDDING DAY.  I predict 50 years into the future there will be grandchildren all over the world looking at antique photos asking, “Grandma, why is everyone at your wedding making weird expressions and holding fake mustaches up to to cover their faces?”  And Grandma will then drop her head in shame and wonder the same darn thing.  Think about ugly sweater-2 it people, think about it.  Ironically enough, the same day I took a picture of this ridiculous sweater at Target to send to Kate (because that’s what we spend half of every day doing: sending pictures of weird things to each other) I also bought…mustache straws.  How could I not?  They have Irish mustaches on them.  And everyone knows that while a long black hairy mustache is weird, a fluffy orange Irish one is fun, festive, and adorable.

I had straws, so I wanted to make a fun drink.  My St. Patrick’s Day recipes around here usually default to things that are mint chocolate because that’s one of my favorite flavor combos, and well, it’s green.  But everyone knows the infamous “Shamrock Shake” is basically just vanilla ice cream with peppermint and food coloring and I feel like it’s totally been overdone on food blogs, so I wanted something green, but not minty, and something my kids would still like.  They’re all about fruity and fizzy and I’m all about coconut and lime-y so I went with that.  These would be super easy to whip up on Sunday and a great one for kids to help with.

Slushy Coconut Lime Floats from Our Best Bites

Start with some ice in your blender

ice in Blendtec

and add in some cream of coconut.  Cream of coconut is not coconut milk.  You can find it in either a can or preferably a squeeze bottle in the section of the grocery store where you find alcoholic drink mixers like pina colada and margaritas, etc.  We use cream of coconut in a lot of recipes, so you’ll have plenty of reasons to use the leftovers!

Cream of Coconut

Next in is some half and half.  Don’t use milk- that’s just weird.  Cream?  A-Ok if you’re feeling that naughty.

Half and Half

And if you want to make these green like I did, add in a drop or two of food coloring.  You’ll get a cold, frothy mixture that will taste super delicious.  Pour that into your glasses.

Blending Coconut Mixture

Next, scoop in a big ol’ scoop of lime sherbet,

Lime Sherbet

And then pour your favorite lemon-lime soda over the top (Sprite, 7-Up, Sierra Mist, etc.)  Those creamy frothy bubbles are one of the best things about any flavor of float.

Frothy Top

Top with a little whipped cream, and if you like- some flecks of gold to attract those sneaky little leprechauns.

Mustache Straw

Also, a mustache on a stick.  But make sure it’s an Irish one.

Creamy Coconut Lime Floats from Our Best Bites

Krista says:

i’m totally making these! “minty” is not really my thing :) and i’m super jealous of your ice maker!!!

Qwendykay says:

You are so just taunting us with your fancy ice! I am kicking myself for not putting an ice machine in my kitchen when we remodeled two years ago.
    I’m totally trying these, we love Lime!

Shauna says:

RE: the *fancy* ice! If you have a Sonic near you, you can buy a bag there for about $1.79!

Tina Reeve says:

My brother informed me that it’s Mustache March. I don’t know if it’s real or not but he’s growing a mustache just the same. I just think that the mustache is making a comeback. One of my brothers can’t really grow a mustache (comes in really blond) so he started wearing the stick on mustaches. It’s a joke in our house. I don’t really know why it’s so popular right now but they are.

Bonnie says:

Love it! Thanks for a great idea!

I have been wondering the exact same thing about the mustache craze. I just don’t get it! That said, your orange mustaches in these pictures are the perfect prop. :)

Patti says:

I agree with Qwendykay! I would promise to finish my dinner if I could have a cup of your ice afterwards. It’s a good thing I’m not your neighbor. I’d be at your house constantly asking to “borrow” some ice. Good job on the green non-minty yumminess!

Ellie says:

Ditto on the ice comments. I love that you included a close-up picture of those little pellets just to show it off and make us all wish we were as cool as you are.

Erika says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one wondering about the whole mustache thing. I joined the Pinterest party a little late and thought, “Did I miss something?” Apparently my wedding wasn’t awesome because we didn’t have a photo booth with big lips and mustaches.

Suzanne says:

What other recipes do you use the cream of coconut, bc that looks amazing!!!

Farrah says:

You have to try the mango coconut smoothie from the cookbook–it’s awesome!

Amy says:

I always have some cream of coconut in my fridge for pina coladas (with or without the alcohol). I just throw some ice, fresh pineapple, and a couple of squeezes of cream of coconut into my blender and blend ’til I have the consistency I want. I’ve even put in some fresh strawberries (or other fruit) for a delicious twist.

Breanna Nielson says:

i wonder the same thing!! i bought the cream of coconut specifically for this recipe :) but now i want to eat it straight from the bottle!! i need to use it up in something yummy..

Kathy says:

I don’t get the mustache thing either! Glad I’m not the only one! We usually do shakes with mint chocolate chip ice cream for St. Patrick’s Day. I like your float idea! Different from all the chocolate/mint combos!

Allison H says:

Oh em gee! Thank you! I don’t get the mustache thing at all … and the fact that they are part of weddings and baby showers is beyond strange to me. I seriously thought I was the only one who didn’t understand this. Remember when mullets were cool and trendy to like/make fun of? It was just as weird, but I don’t think it was taken to the extreme of this mustache fascination as of late.

April B. says:

oooo this looks so good! I love floats! Thanks for the delish drink, I’m going to totally make this on Sunday!

Tristen says:

Where did you get those mustache straws? My boys would go crazy for these. I’m sure I don’t get the mustache craze either, but my boys sure love them. They’ve taken to drawing them on the inside of their index finger, holding said finger over their lips and then…bam, you’ve got yourself a mustache. They think it’s HILARIOUS! They are nine and seven and their dad thinks it’s hilarious too.

Melissa says:

So out of that entire post… I just can’t get over the cuteness of those argyle napkins! Where did you find those? Can’t wait to try out the float too…

Jess says:

This sounds awesome!! I love the combination!

Melody says:

AMEN to the mustache thing! As much as I try, I just can’t seem to figure out why people think they’re so cute. But wow, these shakes look good! I tried a similar one last summer from Family Fun, but it called for real lime juice instead of sherbet. I’m sure this one is just as tasty!

Laura C. says:

Amen sista. I DON’T GET IT! I’m all about having fun and creating silly memories – but this one is not for me. I feel like one of those kids that is left out of the joke and no one explains it to me. Someone, please explain!

Carrie I. says:

First of all, YUM. I want one of those. Right now. And second, my husband and a team of his co-workers participated in Movember last year and he grew his first ever ‘stache. It was not cool and I was so happy when December 1st rolled around. They had a bake sale for their team and he asked me to make…. mustachioed cupcakes.

adrienne w says:

Ha, ha! I have literally had the exact same thoughts about the whole moustache trend, right down to explaining your wedding pictures to your grandkids saying “it was cool, just trust me”! How does something like that become a trend? It makes me wonder what other ridiculous thing could be made into the latest cool trend. Sounds like a fun social experiment to me! These shakes look delicious. I have still yet to find coconut cream anywhere in Canada. I guess I’m going to have to try a liquor store.

Jacki says:

Did you try looking for it in a can? I know that sounds weird, but I have found it here in Canada (at Wal-Mart I think) in a can. :) It was near the coconut milk which is also in a can. Hope that helps!

Emily S says:

Looks amazing! I don’t usually comment before trying the food, but I had to jump in when I saw a sister-in-mustache-confusion. I have been seriously befuddled about this one. Right along with the hashtag craze, excepting for when it has a purpose on twitter. Agh, I’m not one of the cool kids! Except I would be if I made this drink for people . . . soon.

Ohhhh my gosh Emily, don’t even get me started on hashtags. #overkill #peopledontevenknowhowtousethem #stopwiththefreakinghashtagsandjustwriteasentence

• adrienne w says:

Oh, yes! Totally agree. The hashtags are getting ridiculous!

• Jennifer says:

Oh man! The hashtag thing drives me crazy! Just say what you mean people!!! And I don’t get the mustache thing either…who decides these things are cool anyway?!

• Emily S says:

Hahaha – you have to give it to people for their not pressing the space bar self-control skills. Ever since I left that comment yesterday I have been imagining myself in my most pinteresting outfit trying to get to know new people by serving them drinks, mustache in hand. #howyalikemenow :)

I am laughing out loud because I often wonder where the heck this moustache thing came from?!? We have “Movember” here (is that a worldwide thing?) but I remember when Moustaches were tacky and ridiculous! They were a “Dad” thing and now I see so many young guys sporting weird facial hair. Anyway, can’t wait to see if I can find these ingredients and try this for St. Patrick’s Day :)

Sarah R says:

A few people at my Husband’s work participated in Movember (November) where the men could grow a mustache for the month to help support and raise awareness for men’s health issues, prostate cancer etc. I was not fully supportive of this idea as real-life mustaches are gross but it was for a good cause. Kudos to those who did it, but my husband opted not to (luckily!) The fake mustaches craze are at least slightly whimsical though and less creepy.

Oh! I like the idea of doing LIME for green on St. Patrick’s day!! I’m good with mint, too, but lime is a nice change! Super refreshing and the citrus is nice for Spring coming. :) I have to say, I think the mustache thing is kinda funny and fun for silly pictures, but it’s gone WAY overboard!! Especially when it’s at weddings, etc. I did, however, do a lesson on Abinadi last year in my Primary class and we drew mustaches onto our fingers as a reminder of when he is in disguise. It was a big hit and they remembered that lesson for a long time! Also… #ihateallthehashtags!!

I made this tonight and it was delicious. But it shattered my blender so I guess we won’t be having it again for a while.

Courtneymomof5 says:

I think the mustache thing is cute…on my toddler! I am not a fan of all of the minty shakes, just not my thing. However, give me some coconut and lime anyday! I will be trying this real soon, like tomorrow! I mean it’s grocery day and all.

Charlotte Moore says:

I hope no one in our family does the wedding mustache thing. Yuck!!! My husband and one of our sons has a mustache, but also a full beard.

jessica hernandez says:

this sounds yummy… and I’m with you about the mustache craze I dont get it either

Jenn says:

I don’t know if this can explain the whole mustache craze, but some people I know have a 9-year-old daughter named Maddie who recently had a brain tumor (mostly) removed. Her parents said she thinks mustaches are hilarious, so they asked people to post ‘stash pictures to help cheer her up. The story made it on the news, so that could account for some of it.

Jill F says:

Thank you! I thought I was the only person in the world who didn’t get the mustache thing. These look yummy and I can’t wait to try them.

Kayla says:

I am so excited to have a green St. Patrick’s Day treat that isn’t mint! I can not wait to try this!

brooke says:

I SO agree about the mustache thing…. and oh MY, I LOVE lime! I am not a fan of mint, so this is right up my alley.

MaMaLaLa says:

My hubby grows a mustache now and then- he looks real hot in it. I love it- love seeing the mustaches all over. :-{)

I am intrigued by this drink recipe. I’m usually not a fan of coconut but I wonder if the cream of coconut would be more palatable to me…it’s mostly the texture of coconut I don’t like. And I have to add my “ditto” to the “I don’t get the mustache trend” conversation. No idea why they are such a “thing” and for so long now!

This sounds delicious!! I’ll have to see if I can find me some creme of coconut :)

Crystal Burch says:

I am glad I wasn’t the only one totally confused by the mustaches. I actually stumbled across an article that may have solved the mustache mystery and cured anyone of being annoyed by it. It says it was started for to make a sick little girl, Maddie laugh. Then it just went viral. Here’s the article. http://forwardwalking.com/2013/03/04/mustaches-for-maddie/

sheryl says:

Thank you!!! I’m so glad I’m not alone on the mustache trend. I was starting to feel really old, wondering why they were such a big deal.

Tania says:

I don’t really get the moustache thing either, but I think it started as a wordplay on “if you must ask”. Must ask + moustache.

Auntiepatch says:

a fluffy orange Irish one is fun, – oh, my Irish Grandmother would be yelling at the screen right now! ORANGE is NOT an Irish color! I forgot one year, wore an orange dress on St. Pat’s Day, and she gave me such a smack I’ll never forget.

But they are cute.

Joy says:

I thought the obsession with mustaches was just a Utah thing. If you are here next summer you must see El Bandito at Pickleville Playhouse in Bear Lake. He wears a great black mustache and the performance is filled with mustache jokes. Can’t wait to try the coconut and lime float.

Steph says:

You do realize I clicked to this post just to read the comments to see if /someone/ could answer the mustache question, don’t you? I remember asking several months ago about it and still am dumbfounded!

I blame Pinterest. :)

LOVE it! Sounds so delicious and festive! I even thought about inviting friends over on Sunday for coconut-lime floats after reading your post! ;)

LOL, I was just telling Drew last night that he should dress up as a leprechaun because his beard is red. :) These look so good!

Becah says:

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your blog-and all of the lovely ladies above who commented about the mustache thing-I no longer feel like the only one who doesn’t get it-and doesn’t want it, lol. Hopefully this fad goes the way of stuffing phone booths and rainbow suspenders.

Lindsie says:

This is the most Mormon recipe you guys have ever posted :) lol thanks for the throwback to my old days in Utah

Trish says:

My kids loved these! Thanks for sharing.

Rachel says:

Hey there, you guys have truly changed my cooking life!! I make at least one of your recipes a week, which is saying something considering how often I cook :) I have and love both of your cookbooks ❤ I’m a big fan. So… if I wanted to bring these floats to a large family party on Sunday, could I just multiply the recipe blend it all up or is that gross? Converting the “float” to a “drink”???

Jen T. says:

Just made these and they were a hit! My grocery store didn’t have lime sherbet so I bought pineapple sherbet and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing an awesome recipe!

Kelli says:

I also do not get the mustache craze. Why as a girl who is constantly checking to make sure I don’t have a mustache, would I want to hold up a mustache over my face? I don’t get it.

But…the floats look delicious! I will be buying the supplies this week. Yum!

Dena says:

These are so good! Everyone loved them! Our grocery store (the only one in our small town) was out of lime sherbet so I had to use the rainbow one and it was still great!)

Rebecca B says:

Our small town was out of lime sherbet too. So I bought some mango sherbet instead, and oh man was it good. I think I’m not even going to bother with the lime now.