Coconut and Lime Sugar Scrub from Our Best Bites First of all, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all of the kind comments on yesterday’s post.   (If you missed it, you can read it here).  It’s always a little bit nerve-wracking when we post something out of the norm around here, especially when it’s of a personal nature, and we always cross our fingers and hope it’s well received, and in the way we intended.  I curled up with my laptop tonight and read every single comment.  Thank you, thank you.

Now, in that post we talked a little about the expectations women everywhere face because of the internet.  On that note, has Pinterest pressured anyone out there to compulsively purchase a ridiculously large container of coconut oil?  Admit it, and least 4,972 of you did.  We know because at least half of you have emailed us to ask what the heck you should do with it now.  Here’s an answer!  By the way, the brand pictured below, is amazing.  Awesome coconut flavor and pure white color.

Coconut Oil
I love sugar scrubs.  Coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer and sugar is an awesome exfoliant.  I had my coconut oil on the counter a few weeks back and as I was scooping some out, I dropped a blob into my fruit basket that was sitting right there.  It landed right on top of a lime and that’s when I heard the choir of angels and wondered why I hadn’t thought of this scrub before.  I made it right then and immediately texted Kate to tell her how amazing it was.  This would be the perfect little gift to whip up for Mother’s Day for a friend, a Mom, or just yourself!  Chances are, many of you have all of the ingredients right in your kitchen already.  It’s a tropical escape that will leave you feeling all silky and smooth.

Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub

Place some coconut oil in a bowl.  Depending on the temperature of your surroundings, you  may need to heat it in the microwave to soften it.  Right now, it’s is the 80′s where I live and my coconut oil stored at room temperature is super soft and stir-able, but in the winter time I definitely have to zap it in the microwave to soften it up.

Coconut Oil in Bowl

Next add some granulated sugar.  Sugar is a great, gentle exfoliator.  If you like a little more umph, you can use a natural coarse grain sugar, but plain ol’ white sugar works great.

Pouring Sugar

It seemed only fitting to pair bright, fresh lime with the smooth creamy coconut.

Fresh Limes

The natural oils in citrus are found in their peels, so just zest a lime right in there.  A microplane grater will produce super fine bits, so if you don’t have one you might want to grate the peel with a fine-hole grater and then run a knife over it to chop it up even more.

Lime Zest in Sugar Scrub

Then just stir it all up.

Sugar Scrub being Stirred

The consistency of a sugar scrub is really a matter of preference.  I usually start with a 2:1 (sugar:oil) ratio and then adjust from there.  I like my mixture to hold together like a paste, as opposed to crumbling, which I feel usually just makes a mess.  So generally I start with that 2:1 ratio (pictured below, you can see it’s rather thick), and then add another scoop of coconut oil.

Stirred Sugar Scrub

The lime zest adds a bright fresh scent, and the coconut oil has a light scent to it, but I still love to add a little boost with some oils.  I just use the oils I have for cooking and baking.  They only cost a couple of bucks, and a little goes a long way.  (Please note:  I will burn the first comment that tries to sell Do Terra oils on this post.  Does that sound overly-dramatic?)  You can use lime and/or coconut; I like a little of both.  Just add it to taste.  And by “taste” I mean smell.   Okay, that’s a lie, I totally taste it.  It’s amazing, and totally edible.  I buy my oils from Orson Gygi; they literally have every flavor you could ever imagine.

Flavoring Oils

Just pop it in a cute jar and you can store it at room temperature for weeks.

Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub for super soft skin

I keep a little jar in my shower.  Just take a palm-full and massage it all over.

Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub

The sugar exfoliates and the coconut oil is uber-moisturizing.  Just rinse with warm water and then massage in the oil left on your skin.  Or you can rinse with soap if you don’t like the feeling of the oil, it will still leave you silky smooth.

Silky Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub

The cute jars in my post are from Hobby Lobby and only cost a couple of bucks.  The brown labels are made by Avery in the Martha Stewart collection and I picked them up at Staples.  (Fun fact: I’m obsessed with office supplies.  Every September I buy ridiculous amount of “school” supplies.  For myself.) I just wrapped a piece of washi tape around the jars and tied some twine on and these little gifts were seriously SO quick, easy, and cheap to whip up.  Also it smells (and let’s face it- tastes) amazing.

Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub from Our Best Bites

You can get the same look by printing off these labels on plain paper and just cutting out the shape.  Just use double stick tape to attach them to a jar, or print them on card stock and tie them on with a string.  Easy peasy!  Little mason jars are great for sugar scrubs, too.

Click Here to download Printable Labels

Now, if you’ve got a hankering for lime-coconut and you don’t want to eat your beauty products, here are a few things you must, must make.  Soon.  These are probably 3 of my all-time favorite recipes.

Lime-Coconut White Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies

Lime-Coconut-Mac-Nut-cookies-2
Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze

Coconut Banana Bread
Lime Coconut Cheesecake

Lime Coconut Cheesecake

Gygi Oils Graphic

Nicole Peck says:

So I totally saw a recipe like this on Pinterest and I was sad that I didn’t have any essential oils to add to it like it suggested (and it didn’t use the lime zest), so I love that I can go pick up some of the cooking oils and use those instead!! Yippy!! (P.S. I like your recipe better than the one I saw on Pinterest and will be using this one instead. LOL)

Steph says:

I was going to ask how you kept yourself from eating it, but I guess you didn’t! I was cracking up at your “taste” comment! I can’t wait to make this and use it. I have been looking for something I can use since I am allergic to most lotions. This sounds like a great alternative.

ROFL about the DoTerra comment. So over it!

Lol. I have nothing against anyone who’s into that, but it drives me crazy that we can’t even mention oils without 20 different people using our comment section as their personal advertising board, haha!

Ashley says:

First of all, LOVED yesterday’s post. So moving and exactly what I needed to hear (or read!). Second, coconut lime is my fave flavor combo. One of my favorite summer desserts is a coconut lime granita that is so easy and refreshing. I cannot wait to try this scrub so I can smell like that!

Kym says:

I *never* leave comments on blog posts (except to enter contests….don’t hate) but I just have to start here. I love you two so much, and you crack me up every time your posts grace my feed reader. Keep it up….I’m so trying this scrub!!

Karen says:

I make something similar and shave my legs with it. If you shave twice with it at the same time (yes, shave then shave again) you will have the softest, smoothest legs ever!!!

Ellie says:

My daughter goes to preschool at a high school and the high school kids are her teachers. So we need teacher gifts for the 4 teachers that were “hers” plus the regular teacher, plus teachers for my 4 older kids, plus all the specials teachers and I have been trying to figure out what I can do that will be nice but not too expensive because there are so many of them. This will be PERFECT for the high school girls — and maybe the rest of them, too. Plus, I have kind of been looking for a good enough excuse to buy a ridiculously large container of coconut oil and I think this is it. Thanks!

Lacey Dellinger says:

Oh my goodness thank you so much for this post! I just finished my scrubs for my mother and grandmother’s gifts! They’ll go perfect with a new pair of summer flip flops. Such a great idea and thank you for sharing the labels – too cute!

Stacey says:

These are so cute. Another way to use coconut oil is pop popcorn in it, instead of canola/veg oil. It tastes really good!

Angela says:

Yum! I’ll be whipping this up. LOVE coconut oil. Slather it on before almost every shower ( i mainly have baths. so showers are pretty rare. ok is that TMI?) Anyways. I LOVE anything coconut and/or lime, but mainly coconut lime. ahhh

Ok, and cilantro. and mint.

Also- I wanted to comment yesterday, but i was too emotional to even formulate a comment. but thank you. LOVED that post

Off to make a scrub before this 3 year old wakes up!

Kristi Von says:

I loved your post about motherhood and I’m so glad you shared your thoughts with us! My favorite scent of all time, I just put it on, is the Coconut Lime Breeze (or whatever they changed it to) from Bath and Body Works, so I’m definitely going to make this scrub! Thanks!

Tracey Evans says:

OK, I’ve tried to use sugar scrubs in the shower before, but it makes the floor of my shower/tub dangerously slippery (I’m klutzy enough as it is!). Does anyone else have a problem with this? Will it still be a problem with this recipe? I’m assuming it will…

heather r. says:

I saw somewhere on another DIY sugar scrub that you could sprinkle baking soda on the floor of the shower before you step in that will help.

adrienne says:

Yesterdays post is exactly what i needed at the exact right time. I have been feeling so down on myself as a working mother/wife of two little ones. It was reassuring to hear from two women that are so put together thats its about the small moments. I am OBSESSED with EVERYTHING coconut and lime recently, so that you :) Do you think this would work with Epsom salt?

Traci says:

You guys think you have a lot of coconut oil – try having a husband who works for a vitamin company and that is one of their products and he has to do quality checks on it. He can take home opened containers after they have cleared lab, so I think I have 5 containers. This is perfect for using up some of it and end-of-year presents for teachers!

Amy says:

Glad I’m not the only one who “tastes” my scrubs while I make them :)

Stephanie says:

This scrub is so fun! I would love to make some for the moms in my life! I am a coconut oil virgin, and am wondering if there is a certain kind to buy? Is there one for cooking and one for not? Haha, I know, I sound dumb. I am seeing stuff about extra virgin and unrefined? If I go out looking for this stuff today, I want to make sure I know what to get! (:

Stephanie says:

And while I am at it, if you aren’t into…um, uh, er…those oils that may or may not be essential, where can you find the oils you mentioned?

• Valena says:

I’ve seen LorAnn oils at my local grocery store and my drugstore. They might even be at Walmart. I’d simply ask someone at your favorite store!

Charlotte Moore says:

The coconut oil in her picture is from Tropical Traditions. Google it and you will find their company. The one she used has a coconut taste. You cook with it also. There is one that is Expeller Pressed that does not taste like coconut. This is the one to cook with if you do not want your food to taste like coconut. This company is wonderful to work with and has special often.

Julia says:

where did you get that super-white coconut oil Sara? mine has an unappealing yellowish tinge and yours look so white and fresh.

Charlotte Moore says:

Look at 16.2 as I responded about the coconut oil just in case they do not get back to it.

Yeah, just google the brand in my photo, I got mine in the mail so you can definitely order it! And like someone else mentioned, Costco has the best price on coconut oil I’ve ever seen. My store has a couple different kinds, they do have an organic one that’s quite a bit more expensive, but I think it’s lighter in color. The one I am using here has an awesome coconut flavor.

Coming back to add: I was just at Whole Foods and they too had a reeeealy bright white brand. Didn’t note the name, but that would be a good place to check too.

I laughed so hard at the Do Terra comment! I’m a blogger too and I get some of the craziest comments from people trying to slyly throw their affiliate link or business venture in. You girls make me giggle.

For those asking what kind of coconut oil to get, Costco sells the Nutiva brand for crazy, crazy cheap and it’s amazing. It does have a slightly yellowish tint to it though. If you’re looking for white white, try the Tropical Traditions Gold Label oil like they have pictured in this post. I swear it was scraped straight from the coconut. While you’re at it, try their organic raw honey. It’s like crack in a jar.

And P.S. I swear I look at Pinterest a zillion times a day and never make anything because I’m just not crafty. I started reading this post ONLY because I think you guys are great and now you’ve convinced me to make it. You gals are like crack in a jar! :)

Rachel says:

I’m trying to think of ways I could actually eat this concoction. Spread it on toast? I LOVE lime and coconut, smells and tastes. Great idea, and much cheaper than store-bought scrubs, I’m sure. I’ve been wanting to try cooking with coconut oil, so now I have a use for it if I don’t like it!

Caroline says:

I love coconut lime anything. I recently made pina-colada sherbet from ‘A Perfect Scoop’. It was basically coconut milk with crushed up pineapple, lime juice, and a teaspoon or so of rum (I’m sure vanilla would work just as well). It was awesome, and so great for the warm weather we seem to finally be getting here.

Amy B. says:

Guilty! Yes, I have a ridiculously large container of coconut oil that is just waiting to be used (or rather until I figured out how to use it!) I’m so glad I stumbled upon this. I will make this next week!

Jo says:

For anybody who doesn’t know, Hobby Lobby has a glass sale every other week (or maybe every 3 weeks?) where glass is 50% off. If you’re buying from there, wait til it’s on sale! It’s such a shame to buy stuff full price when you know it will go on sale. At the very least, use one of their 40% off 1 item coupons :)

Megan says:

Thank you!!! I’ve been saving my baby food jars all month to make scrubs for little pedicure kits for my sisters on Sunday and this will work perfectly.

Becah says:

Ummmm, what are Doterra oils?

Jane says:

I love your bread containers! Where can I pick up a few of those. Awesome idea! My family will be getting these lil jars of treasure for their birthdays!

renee says:

What a great idea! Going into coconut oil promo mode. I LOVE the stuff. Have been using it for several years now (before pintrest). First, for cooking you ‘need’ the UNREFINED version. It costs more but that is where all the nutritional and health benefits are located. Refined coconut oil has been bleached with harsh chemicals and stripped of all the good stuff. What good stuff? Well I’m going to tell you! UNREFINED coconut oil is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal! I put it on minor cuts and burns. I rub it on the dogs itchy skin. I rub it on the kids’ itchy skin. I rub it in that, um, ‘area’ (blush), when it feels a little off and I know a trip to the drug store is in my near future. Works great! I use it in place of almost all the times I would use olive oil (but not for eggs-gag:P). If it is soft enough for scooping I bake with it. I use it in the popcorn maker-double yum! I stir it in my morning coffee or tea. It increases your metabolism for loosing weight and keeps me full to lunch. I use it instead of butter on bagels or toast. Topped with a shake of cinnamon YUM! My kids love coconut oil topped with a little PB on a bagel or hard roll. I buy the gallon jug at Costco and go through it in less than a month.

Love this idea, just one more thing for my coconut oil! Thank you!

Oh, really liked the ‘real mommy’ post yesterday. My kids are 14, 14 and 11 and I cannot tell you how many times I have run into parents with elementary age kids who are killing themselves trying to be what they see in the media. When I was a kid it was the Huxtubols on TV, or the Brady Bunch. Now it is things like pintrest. Having you post about how your photos are for the blog and not real life is great. NO ONE actually lives in pintrest-world! And the Mom you see over there but don’t really know that well but she is always well put together and her kids are and her home is a showplace, blah, blah, blah is either breaking her back to appear that way and will crash and burn soon (behind closed doors) or has millions of dollars so others can do it for her. That is not real life. Real life is doing is sometimes for fun!

Wow, I’m on a roll this morning LOL. Keep up the good work ladies. I refer to your blog several times a week and my family always likes it when I make something from OBB.

renee says:

Just made it and used it and I love it! Used it lightly on my face (in addition to everywhere else in the shower) and YUM! Sorta like butter/sugar on beaters while making cookies. Had to force myself not to take finger full and eat it.

Dee says:

This looks awesome and I LOVE the labels. What fonts did you use for the labels?

Claudia says:

Do you think it would be ok without using the essential oils? I don’t have any and not even quite sure where to buy them?

AMEN, sista! Upon reading the unexpectedly hilarious bit about the DoTerra, I got my computer screen a little messy…note to self: don’t read Our Best Bites posts when eating. Am I the only one out there that thinks those essential oils smell UBER-bad??

OK, I love your blog! This scrub looks amazing! I absolutely love coconut and the lime in this looks wonderful. Super cute labels, too.

Heidi says:

I loved you even more for your doterra comment! I can’t wait to try this.,

Jeannette says:

Thanks for this idea, I made the sugar scrub and the coconut/lime banana bread for mother’s day gifts. They turned out awesome with handprint palm tree leaves (from my kids) glued on a palm tree trunk that read “Giving you a bit of paradise this Mother’s Day!!” Thanks for the super cute idea!

Holly says:

Mmm, this stuff smells AMAZING!! I made some up as gifts, and luckily had some left over for me. LOVED it!! I needed to wear my glasses in the shower though–I got out, dried, and dressed and realized I still had little bits of lime peel on me. Guess I didn’t rinse too well, lol!

Judy says:

I came across your recipe and definitely plan on making this soon. I do agree with the person that mentioned this could be slippery in a tub or shower. I am one of those people who slips easily in the shower. These would make great gifts. I buy small mason type jars at a local thrift shop. I only look for those that are in great shape with no rusty lids of course. I have to mention I read your post regarding Mother’s Day. It was beautifully written. It made me laugh in the beginning and shed some tears in the end. Thanks for a wonderful story and a great recipe. I will be a regular follower from now on.

Renee says:

Hi :) I just wanted to say- if you haven’t heard this already yet .. this is an excellent replacement for shaving cream as well :) I have made coconut sugar scrub with lemon (and lemon zest) and since I love anything and everything to do with lemon, I adore it, but I am definitely going to try yours too! To shave just exfoliate your leg like you normally would with the scrub, rinse off (although I have heard you don’t have to, but it makes me nervous not to ;) ) shave, then exfoliate again, yes again, and then shave a second time. If you are feeling super parched, you can exfoliate a 3rd time, and rinse but I cannot believe how smooth and soft my legs are! No more razor bumps either! :) and make sure to rub in the oil before you dry off and dry off by gently patting so you don’t remove too much of the oil but I LOOOOVE coconut oil! The many uses are so incredible!
    Might I ask where you get your particular brand? I have actually been eyeing a big bucket on a soap making website… ohhhh the possibilities!!! :)

Michelle says:

Love this recipe! I was planning on making a sugar scrub and giving it with pink nail polish as teacher gifts. This is perfect! Any chance you can let me know the font you used on the tags? I would like to include “instructions” for anyone who has never used a sugar scrub and would love to use the same font. Thank you so much!

Deanna says:

I am so sad. I was all geared up to make teacher gifts, bought all the ingredients, jars & ribbon, but I can’t find the coconut & lime flavored oils anywhere? Lots of places have the oil, but not those flavors. Do you think if I use some of the lime juice in the scrub it would smell just as good? I’m such a recipe follower that to have missing ingredients is tough on me :( What would you do?
    :) thanks!
    ~deanna

heather r. says:

Use lemon instead (Wal-mart does have that one) and you can still use lime. You don’t have to use the coconut at all. My coconut oil was refined (no scent or taste) and I couldn’t find coconut oil flavoring either, and mine still turned out great! (I used the lime zest and lemon flavoring.) Skip the zest altogether and use peppermint (which Wal-mart also has). That would be an awesome foot scrub. :)

Deanna says:

Thanks so much Heather! I’m going to try the lemon tonight :)

Aubrey says:

So…if I went in search of the Martha Stewart Labels you mentioned in this post and I have them, how do I print your cute version on the Martha Stewart Labels. Is there a separate file?

I don’t have a file for that, but you can easily make them yourself. The font I used is Penelope Ann, and the little lime slice is one of my doodles from my own handwriting font, which you can get here! Oh and the “Sugar Scrub” is a font called “Kaleigh”

Lady K says:

I made a batch of Coconut Lemon Sugar Scrub today. I went to the store to purchase sugar and a few other items. The cashiers that I am familiar with asked what I was going to make “I said Coconut Lemon Sugar Scrub”. They were amazed when I returned with samples for the both of them. My daughter can not wait to use the scrub. Thanks for the recipe.

michelle says:

How many drops of each of the lime and coconut oils did you use? Thanks!!! Excited! :)

Lisa says:

Thank you for the recipe. Is the 1/4 c of coco oil measured before or after melting? Just double-checking!

Nancy Gunn says:

OMG!!! You girls are just amazing! I’m so doing this asap.

Rachel says:

Did you purchase your oils here in Boise? I can’t seem to find either coconut or lime! I must be going to the wrong stores…

Marquia Fenner says:

I found like at Whole Foods if you have one near you. I didn’t need the coconut essential oil.

angelina says:

can I substitute the sugar for sea salt?

Kim Packard says:

I was laughing so hard at the doTERRA oils comment and I USE them. There is a time and place to share and it’s definitely not here. Great recipe thanks!

stacey says:

Hi Sara! I love your blog and am so happy to try this scrub. The labels are adorable. Can you tell me what font in on the labels?

Thanks!
    Stacey

Tammi says:

I went to the website you suggested to buy my oils. For a small order (something that surely will fit in an envelope) they want over $16.00 for postage. What’s up with that? Is there anyway around that ridiculous amount?

What font did you use to make labels? I absolutely love it!

Never mind! I just saw that you already posted it!

Karen Mingain says:

I absolutely love your website and the recipes! Thank you so much!

SAW~ says:

This looks wonderful. I can’t wait to try and I want to add grapefruit essential oils to this.
    Thank you.

Mandy says:

Made this with my little friends (11 yrs old) for gifts. A huge hit! We decorated our jars & the ends of wooden spoons. They’re ready to come back for another craft day want to try orange zest and grapefruit zest. Thanks so much!

Tammy says:

Does anyone know can I also use these flavoring oils in soap?

Tina Bell says:

I would love to make the scrub but when I went to the website you posted it says it has no oils (food grade) do you know anywhere else I could buy some, I’m still looking for food grade rose water!
    Well if you can help thanks so much,
    Have a great holiday,
    Tina Bell

Leslie says:

I have never made a scrub before and Im super excited to try this recipe for Christmas!! Has anyone tried to make it with the lime squeezed into it along with the zest?

Holly says:

I made this with my kids and we gave them to teachers and friends for Christmas this year. What a great recipe! Everyone loves it. My friends are raving about it.

Shirley Williams says:

I’m glad that I found your post. I wondered if coconut oil could be used as carrier for a scrub. I wonder, can you use other citrus fruits like oranges or lemons? I love the smell of oranges. I like that you use ordinary cooking oils. I never thought of that. Simple and more affordable. I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for the recipe.

Julie says:

I bought both the lime and coconut Lorann’s oils on Amazon. The name of the store was The Homery and they have free shipping. You pick the scents you want and I think they were delivered in 1 week. 6 drams cost me $11.03. I hope this helps anyone looking and can’t find lime and coconut.

Hope Clark says:

I use essential oils all the time but if I put them into a product I’m applying to myself I get super itchy and it kinda burns. I put extracts in my scrub. The stuff in the baking isle. I have only used pure extract but I suppose imitation would work as well. I make a sugar, honey and almond extract scrub that’s smells amazing! You can also use spices like cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, etc. Also, people with sensitive skin should stay away from the salt scrubs. The sugar is gentle and wont leave you looking like you were scrubbed with a Brillo pad.

Kayla says:

Can anyone tell me exactly how long this lasts, does it begin to grow mold, etc? I really want to make and sell scrubs where I live but I don’t want it to expire within just a few weeks of making. I guess I’d have to put some kind of preservative in it and I want to be as all natural/vegan/organic as possible.

Thanks in advance and GREAT SITE!

Karen says:

I really love the brown label you used-did you use brown card stock to print or ?

Lori says:

Ok, so I made this scrub two days ago and put in mason jars…. I opened one of the jars today, and it had hardened. Is this normal? How do i fix? I was planning to make them as wedding favors, so i don’t want to continue until i know what i did wrong.

JoDee says:

This post m

Georgina says:

Can’t wait to try this! Looks great and my face could use it right now :).

Sarah says:

Love this!. Can’t wait to try this combo DIY. I’m thinking about adding in Argan oil to increase it’s moisturizing and nourishing powers. Argan has double the about of vitamin E then olive oil, so it’s a power house!

Thank you for the inspo! Going to make this as a hostess gift during the holidays.

Sarah