sangria square1 So in case you missed it, we’re having all sorts of fun this week. From a collection of my favorite things that the moms in your life (or you! Go ahead, forward it to your sweetie, that’s what it’s there for!) might love to a Whole Foods gift card giveaway, Mother’s Day celebrations are in full swing at Our Best Bites.

And just to make the celebration complete, we’re serving up sangria today. Except that we don’t drink, so this batch is non-alcoholic, although if you prefer, substituting the grape juice with wine is an easy fix.

Now…when I say I don’t drink, I really don’t–like…ever. Never. And yet when I was pregnant with my now-baby, I had the most intense, overwhelming craving for sangria (which I had never actually even tasted). In Mexican and Italian restaurants, I would longingly watch people with their pitchers of sangria while I sipped my water and wished I was not smelling food. In the depths of morning sickness, this virgin sangria recipe was literally the only thing that did not make me want to lie on the bathroom floor and die. I went through gallons of grape juice a week–I would pour this over big cups completely filled with ice and sip it and chew on the grape juice-flavored ice and I swear to you all, nothing before or since has ever tasted so amazing.

So come Mother’s Day, whether it’s for a Mother’s Day breakfast or an afternoon barbecue on the deck, this is the perfect drink. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s delicious and refreshing. Kids and adults love it, you can snack on the fruit. What’s not to love, right?

You’ll need grape juice, apple juice concentrate, limes, lemons, an apple, an orange, and sparkling water or club soda.

virgin sangria ingredients Core the apple and cut it into 8-12 slices. Place in a serving pitcher. Wash and slice a lime, lemon (flick the seeds out), and then orange and add them to the pitcher.

sliced fruit in pitcher for sangria

Juice a lemon and a lime and add it to the pitcher. Add 3 cups of grape juice and apple juice concentrate and refrigerate until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, add 1 3/4 cups sparkling water or club soda and serve over ice. Makes 4-6 servings (4 is generous).

Easy virgin sangria from Our Best Bites

Elizabeth N. says:

Sangrias have to be the prettiest drink ever. As a nondrinker as well, they are the only drink I drool over. Thanks for the recipe. Will certainly have to give this a try.

Amy H says:

I used to looovvveeee sangria but now I am a non drinker. This recipe looks delish! Thank you :)

Tieghan says:

I am not drinker so I love that this is virgin! Yum!

Kelli says:

Hooray! Something this pregnant gal can drink on Mother’s Day! I was going to make your delicious lemonade – but this is calling my name even louder!

Sally Dees says:

That looks so great!!!!!!!

Becky says:

Yay! You post the best mocktails (I can’t bring myself to call a drink “virgin”…I just can’t :))

You might want to try this Fuzzy Navel Mocktail one, too! http://goodbadquirky.blogspot.com/2013/04/fuzzy-navel-mocktail.html

I’ve found the flavored fizzy waters and walmart to be great mocktail ingredients!

RitaMarie says:

This does look very tasty:) I have a ??, pls. don’t laugh! I’m not clear on the apple juice concentrate thing – is that frozen juice thawed?? I’m thinking that’s right but maybe there is something else. Thanks.

Jamee Strickland says:

YUM! I was the same way with cold fruity drinks during my last pregnancy.
    I ordered slushies from anyone that had them & made frequent trips to the QT! I wanted fuity sweet cold goodness!

Tiffany says:

There must be something about having fruity fizzy drinks while pregnant or just having given birth. After my last delivery, the nurses present the new mothers with a special “mommy drink” to replenish her famished-self. It consisted of cranberry juice, orange juice, and a tiny bit of sprite. It was so yummy!! I kept asking for more and more and MORE! This juice sounds delish! Perfect for Mother’s Day!

Oh my gosh, while I was reading this post that was the only thing I could think of! I have been longing for a home birth, but the thought of missing out on that amazing drink makes me sad. :) I have tried a variation of it outside of the “just giving birth” stage and it is never, ever the same. Literally, nothing has ever tasted better than my “special mommy drink”. Ever.

• Suzanne says:

YES!!! My sister and I deliver at the same hospital and she may have ordered herself multiple “cocktails” when she came to visit me when I had my baby. Mine I think also had apple juice in it, and I to have tried to replicate it with no success

I was just thinking I needed a virgin cocktail for Mother’s Day! Thanks fo this!!!

Laura M says:

Yummy! I love to make this but prefer using white grape juice and I love adding berries. I’m so glad you shared this!

TammyO says:

This sounds fantastic! I have a question though – do you eat the fruit too or is it just for flavor?

Caroline says:

I was at a bridal shower last weekend that had several types of sangria, as well as a make your own sangria bar with lots of cut up fruits and berries. Since I’m pregnant I added fruit and seltzer to the lemonade they had and it was amazing. A similar idea for those of us not so into grape juice.

Roxsan Mottishaw says:

yum

Wendy Perkins says:

Thanks for this. I’m with you – the sangria looks so pretty and refreshing, but I’m not interested in the wine. Your version sounds wonderful!

Theresa says:

Sounds good!

Becky says:

I am nearly ecstatic right now! My friends often make sangria for events and I’m always a little sad that I don’t drink when I see that beautiful drink! Thanks for sharing this!

Stacey says:

I made this drink tonight for a birthday party! It was so good!! My husband said this is a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica says:

Yum! I love me a good virgin sangria.

Kristine says:

Just got home from Vancouver BC where everyone but myself and my son were indulging in sangrias while enjoying fish and chips in Stanley Park. iI almost helped myself to a glass even though I don’t drink alcohol—ever. It was so beautiful. Their pitcher had blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and citrus. I don’t know what I’m fixing for dinner tonight but I will be making a version of this. I’m thinking of adding either lemon lime or ginger ale in place of the soda water. And changing up the fruit. Yum! Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle says:

I see another comment wondering about the apple juice concentrate… I can not find it anywhere in the stores! But all it is is the thawed frozen apple juice??? Who would’ve thunk! :) THanks!!