Oven-Baked Parmesan Rosemary Fries from Our Best Bites

One of my favorite things about going to restaurants is finding inspiration to try new things in my own kitchen. Also: not having to do the dishes. So while I’ve been traveling, I’ve been trying to make a point of ordering things that would make me excited to get into the kitchen.

One of my favorite side dishes is oven-baked fries like these ones and these ones–I feel like I’m getting a treat without completely busting the healthy eating plan and my kids love them, which is an added delight. DELIGHT. Because, I’ve gotta be honest, the pickiness of my children makes me want to bust out the mac and cheese every night and cook grown-up food for my husband and me. And, let’s be honest, sometimes that would just be me.

For these fries, you’re going to need 4 medium russet potatoes, olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, corn starch, and fresh chopped rosemary (you can use dried, but you’ll need a little bit more; rosemary is one of the few herbs that does not get stronger when it’s dried).

parmesan rosemary oven fries ingredients

You’re also going to need a can of that powdery Parmesan cheese stuff.

Parmesan cheese

Yes, totally not gourmet, and yes, it’s totally delicious here.

Preheat your oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (even though I didn’t do it in these pictures because I was experiencing a personal aluminum foil shortage, I totally recommend lightly crumpling the foil; that will help ensure even browning) and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Cut each potato into 8 wedges and set aside.

wedged potatoes

You can also cut them like you do for this recipe, which will make crispier fries. In a large, wide bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, corn starch, and rosemary.

chopped rosemary

Add the potato wedges and toss to coat them evenly with the olive oil mixture. Spread evenly over the prepared foil

unbaked parmesan rosemary fries

and bake in the preheated oven for  about 40 minutes or until the fries are golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.

Oven-Baked Parmesan Rosemary Fries from Our Best Bites

If desired, sprinkle with additional rosemary and salt. Serve immediately. Makes 4 generous servings or 6-8 smaller servings. These are delicious by themselves, or you could also dip them in this mayo (you can always subsitute regular mayonnaise if you don’t want to make your own), pizza sauce, or this garlic-herb sandwich spread, or even dipped in olive oil with a little balsamic vinegar sprinkled over it.

Oven-Baked Parmesan Rosemary Fries from Our Best Bites

Oven baked fries are totally tempting! yum :)

Kim-the-girl says:

How funny that you posted this today! I haven’t made these in a few years and Wednesday night I got a craving and baked them up! SOoooo good! I’m excited to try them with rosemary… Quick question (probably a dumb one, but oh well!) How do you chop your rosemary? I always have a difficult time, do I have to pull each individual “leaf” from the stem? Thanks for all you ladies do!

JConnolly says:

You strip the “leaves” by pinching the top of the stem and sliding your fingers down it against the direction of the growth of the “leaves”. Search for “stripping rosemary from stems” and you’ll find a great little video through Real Simple that shows you how to do it (also works for Thyme…as they show in the video).

heather r. says:

Don’t forget to only use the tippy tops in a recipe where you actually eat the rosemary (instead of like a marinade or when roasting a chicken or other meat). I think there is a tip somewhere on this site that tells you to use the from the top just to where the stem turns light brown. These are the tender parts and won’t taste or feel like you are chewing pine straw. Why yes, I am speaking from unfortunate experience. :)

These look fabulous! I’m pinning this so I can remember ‘em later. YUM! :)

Tieghan says:

Oven baked fries are my favorite! These sound so good!

RitaMarie says:

Thanks for your humor and your great recipes. They are both much appreciated:)

Ellie says:

WE love oven fries but I’ve never made rosemary-parmesan. They sound delicious. One trick I like is to mix everything in a ziploc bag instead of a bowl. I just zip the bag and mush everything around until the potatoes are coated. It seams easier to me than trying to scoop the oil mixture out from under the potatoes.

Those look exceptionally tasty. I just used up my rosemary the other day. Guess I’ll be needing more!

Ned says:

This looks amazing!

Amy says:

I love the smashfries at Smashburger and these look similar – can’t wait to try it out.

Amanda says:

These look like french fry perfection!!

nessa says:

Yum! Rosemary and potatoes are so great together :)

Julia says:

I have experimented with many different recipes & techniques for perfect oven-baked fries and the other day I tried this one: http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2013/02/oven-baked-french-fries.html
    and my husband declared we had a winner!! I will try these with rosemary & parmesan next time, I bet they will be delicious!!!

Erika says:

I hear ya on the Mac & Cheese for every meal. Easy Mac made life easy because you didn’t even have to dirty a pot. My 2 yr old hates mac & cheese though. He makes me cook real food. Can you believe that?
    These look like a great side for Sunday dinner. They look so fancy but easy!

Lisa says:

LOVE all incarnations of OBB oven fries – we did a garlic & dill version for Easter – DELICIOUS!

Lyn Rae Blizzard says:

I made these for lunch today- absolutely delicious!

Linda says:

YUM–I make these all the time. In fact, maybe even for Father’s Day dinner tonight!
    Q: Why the cornstarch? I am curious as to what purpose it serves. Thanks!

Sherri Erkel says:

Made these for Father’s Day with a big ole grilled Rib Eye steak and they were a hit! Thanks for always being my go-to for new dishes to try!

Bruce says:

These look great. I’ve had this saved for a couple days now. Going to give them a shot tonnight though.

Jodi says:

Made these tonight and added a teaspoon of truffle oil at the end with the Parmesan cheese. Wow! Yummilicious.