The secret to Crispy Glazed Chicken Wings in the Oven smYou guys.  Fall is in the air.  As I write this, we’re having a massive thunder storm with marble-sized hail and I love the dark gray skies and the fact that they dropped the temperature 20 degrees in a span of about 5 minutes.  I’m ready for it to drop 20 more so I can bust out all of my tall boots, wear sweaters and corduroy, and sip steamers all day while I light cinnamon-scented candles and see how many ways I can incorporate pumpkin into my daily food consumption.  This is my most favorite time of year and I love seeing everything autumn pop up in stores these days.  Here’s another tell-tale sign of fall :

BYU Lawn

Yes, that’s our Alma Mater’s logo mowed into my back lawn which can only mean one thing: football season is here.  And football season also means football food.  I’ve made plenty of chicken wings in my day, but baked wings are always a far cry from their yummier, crispier, naughtier, fried counterparts.  So I was intrigued to see that someone at ATK had taken on researching a method that could produce tender chicken and crispy fried skin, in the oven.  The solution comes with one very surprising ingredient:

Surprising secret ingredient for crispy baked chicken wings
I told you it was surprising.  Cook’s Country explains: baking powder is composed of an acid and an alkali.  It helps draw moisture to the surface of the poultry skin, where it can evaporate.  The acid helps break down proteins within the skin, and the alkali accelerates the browning process, meaning that the skin can crisp more quickly.

Baking Powder

Now.  Let’s talk about the chicken for a minute.  If you can find wings that have already been cut and prepped (meaning the little drumstick is separated from the wing, and the wing tips are removed and discarded) then I would totally go for those.  I myself don’t have any major issues with raw meat, and I’m pretty good with a knife, and I will tell you right now, I hate prepping chicken wings.  I’m not going to show you the ugly photos of me butchering meat (and by “butchering” I don’t mean the logical definition of one who specializes in the preparation of raw meat products. I mean the other one: the act of ruining or destroying something someone else could have done with grace and ease.)  If you don’t know how to separate your wings, just do a quick google search and there are oodles of YouTube videos that will show you.  It’s really not hard, I just need to sharpen my knives apparently.  Anyway, let’s skip forward to some perfectly prepped little wings.

The only prep for these guys is to dust them with a mix of baking powder and salt and then place them on a rack that’s been placed over a foil-lined cookie sheet.  How’s that for quick and easy?

Chicken Wings dusted with Baking Powder

They cook for a little bit in a barely-warm oven (there’s lots of science there too, but let’s skip that and just follow the instructions, ok?)  and then the pan gets moved to the top rack and the heat is cranked up to 425.

When they come out, they even look fried with their beautifully golden brown crispy skin.  They have a nice crunch on the outside and tender juicy chicken on the inside.  And in case you were wondering (because it was one of my first questions) there is absolutely no lingering taste of baking powder.

Baked Chicken Wings

You’ll want to toss them with sauce and then serve them right away.  When it comes to the sauce, the sky’s the limit.  I’m not a huge fan of buffalo, but that’s an obvious choice.  I’ll include my recipe for a Honey-Lime-Sesame glaze that was a hit around here.  It’s got lots of my favorite things in it, like honey, lime juice, sesame oil and ginger.

Honey Lime Glaze

I sprinkled on some black sesame seeds to that batch for color and crunch.

Black Sesame Seeds

Everyone loved the sweet and salty combo.

Honey Lime Glazed Chicken Wings

Another easy sauce is bbq, and honestly, you could use one of our homemade sauces, like this one, or do what I did and take your favorite bottled sauce and mix in a good drizzle of honey, and a couple shots of hot sauce.

Oven Fried Crispy Glazed Chicken Wings

It makes a sweet, spicy, sticky glaze; just how wings should be!

The secret to Crispy Glazed Chicken Wings in the Oven

Cook up a batch or two for your next game.  That way whether you win or lose, at least there will be something good to eat ;)

Did you guys know our little Ice Cream Extravaganza is still going on?  We try not to pester, but you can vote once per day for another week or so!  Click Here to vote!  Mine is the bright purple Crumb-Topped Huckleberry Pie, and Kate’s is the creamy Banana Pudding with Salted Caramel.  When you vote, you automatically get a coupon for ice cream- yum!  (And thanks!)

state of great taste pk

Jamie says:

Seriously, I think you’re giving my husband ideas. He may actually get excited to mow the yard now so he can carve a Y in it ;)

Thanks for the baking powder secret! What a great idea! Thanks again for a post that is perfect timing!

Michelle says:

Oh, wow, this recipe is so exciting! You see, my boys have food allergies to wheat, egg, and milk, so traditional breading is a no-go. But THIS. This recipe bypasses all of those, naturally. I could hug you. Thanks for all you do!

Erika says:

Oh my gosh. We are so putting a Y on our lawn now. Maybe our boys can feel the love from Texas that way.

Kellyc says:

Did I read that right… 30 min at the first temp & then another 40-50 min??? Totally want to try making these. Just double checking

Correct. The 250 degrees doesn’t actually “cook” the wings; it’s an important part of the process that allows the moisture to evaporate so the baking powder can do its work (as opposed to having them sit overnight.)

• Kelly says:

Gotcha- that was what I was thinking at 250, but needed your double check- thanks! My family is super into football season this year & these look amazing!

Ellie says:

We took our kids to their first byu football game ever last Saturday. Sad ending, but we had a great time anyway. They would love it if we cut a Y in our lawn.

In the 2nd paragraph of the instructions it says “Back wings . . .” and I think you mean Bake, right? Thanks for the how-to-fry-without-frying tip!

Thesha says:

You are awesome! We have been baking ours for a long time but they just aren’t as good. Can’t wait to try this to see the difference.

becky says:

would this method work for regular drumsticks?

Kate says:

Yum! I think your posts this week have solidified my Hawkeye Tailgate Menu for tomorrow . . . jalapeño mac and cheese and these baked wings. Thanks!

Michelle says:

Thank you!! These sound fantastic…like magic! Crispy fried from the oven, can’t wait to try! Now if only there’s some magic to get this hot LA weather to cool down… :)

Kim says:

Do you think thi s would work with boneless skinless thigh meat? I just can’t stand the skin and bones.

Adrienne says:

I cannot tell you how the thought of making my own chicken wings has SCARED me. Real fear. Seems too complicated. But the frozen ones are NASTY! And this actually looks do-able! I am totally getting over my fear and trying it! Man are the men in my house going to be excited……

I’m so excited to try these! I’m assuming it would work with drummettes too, right? I’ve got some in the freezer and I’ve been trying to figure out what do with them. Thank you thank you!

Ned says:

So freaking awesome, but that Y needs to be a Utah State. ;). Other than that looks soo good!! :)

Erica Cizek says:

Will it work on boneless skinless chicken tenders?

Allison Brenn says:

I love this post on so many levels! The Y in the lawn is CLASSIC! Go BYU! I also love wings, but despise deep frying with small children around (the thought of hot oil brings out my worst fears with kids!). I can’t wait to try this. Thank you ATK for bringing science to the kitchen and thanks OBB for sharing it with me! YUM!

Stephanie says:

Oh my word… you just rescued my family’s dinner tomorrow. It was going to be leftover, uh… whatever we have in the fridge. But I also have an entire bag of wings in the freezer! Thank you!!!! Coming home from 3 hrs. of church with nothing good to eat is the WORST, but now we’ll be having these babies and my family will still love me! :)

Jessica McLaughlin says:

Oh my what goodness!! I made these for Sunday night Football dinner and they are awesome!!!! Easy and so tasty!!!! Thank you for a great recipe for wings!! Much easier than any baked I have tried!

Christine says:

I’ve been trying to find the perfect way to bake wings (as I don’t have a fryer and pan frying is too messy). Everything I was doing wasn’t getting a nice crisp skin. I can’t wait to try this!!

Stephanie says:

Can’t wait to try this! Making wings at home have always intimidated me! Btw, I noticed that in the write up you described the honey-lime sauce by saying, “It’s got lots of my favorite things in it, like honey, lime juice, sesame oil and ginger.” But then in the recipe ginger wasn’t included. :)

Carie says:

These were delicious! And I’m not even a huge fan of wings. They are usually too geasy. These were so light and crispy. I tossed half in the honey lime sauce and the others in buffalo. They were gone within minutes:)

Ashley M. says:

Great Idea! And they look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon says:

I made these last weekend and my husband and I are still singing your praises. We are known as the “wing kings” in a few social circles, and have been working on the perfect wing for about 10 years now. We finally tinkered around enough to create a recipe we’ve using for a couple years now that yields amazingly crispy, flavorful, restaurant quality wings every time. The only problem is, frying is such a huge mess that we really only make them for the Super Bowl. These wings were so ridiculously easy, and tasted almost identical to the wings we slave over frying once a year. We’ve decided we will now have wings every Sunday! :) We paired most of them with our signature sauces (buffalo and lemon pepper – mmmm mmmmmm), but tried your honey lime one as well. It was hands down the favorite among all the children. We love you for making our job so much easier, and healthier too!

Catherine says:

I made these tonight. Oh. My. Word! They were amazing! Tender, crispy, perfect! I don’t do wings because of the deep fry mess, but now I can and WILL! Way to go, ladies!

And GO COUGARS!

Krista says:

Thigh meat doesn’t work, to the commenter who asked above. I threw it out haha I can’t wait to try it with actual wings – funny how following instructions exactly leads to great results! :)

Nona T. says:

Made these today for a college football game viewing. We are in bush Alaska and have limited access to groceries and there are no restaurants in our village. I love that I had most of the ingredients on hand and could get the chicken wings at the Native Store. They were already cut so I just had to thaw them out before using them. These were a HUGE hit! Will be making them for the next party.

camelita says:

I just preheated my oven, thank you so much

Geoff says:

Just wanted to say thank you for this recipe/cooking method- these wings were AMAZING!!!

I love crispy chicken wings, and often have to send back wings I order at bars/restaurants and tell them to cook them longer. These were crispy without being greasy, and the meat was dried out just enough. I tossed them in a 70/30 mix of Frank’s hot sauce and creamy cilantro lime dressing and they were SO GOOD haha.

The patting dry, the baking powder, and the cooking rack make all the difference. I’ll never make wings any other way again. Thank you so much!

Michelle says:

Omg!! Wing Are so expensive so I wanted to cook them at home to save a couple of bucks and I was looking on the internet searching recipes and I decided to give this one to go. I’m so glad I did I was looking for a healthy alternative to making wings not having to use all the oil and those calories and this is perfect there so crunchy I sauced them in my personal sauce and omg I can’t wait to make again good job

VPinNC says:

This recipe rocks! My family like fried chicken but I am not a fan of fried food. I made this instead and EVERYONE raved about it. I made 4 lbs of separated wings for a family of 4 and there were only a few left over the next day. Thanks for sharing! This will be a staple in our home.

Garry says:

Whoa. So awesome. I have made these several times in the 2 weeks since I found your recipe. I’ve been trying to make good crispy oven wings for a long time. This is the secret, for sure.

Reading the comments, it looks like you can put them in the fridge overnight instead of the 250* for 30 minute step. Have you tried this? Do they come out the same, or better that way? I think I’m going to give it a shot. Thanks for an incredible recipe. I’m done searching for recipes now, I don’t think I’ll every make them any other way after this.

Victoria B says:

If you were wondering why this was one of your top posts (other than their amazing) its because my husband makes me cook them twice a week at a minimum. He had his doubts when I first introduced them since they weren’t fried but one bite quickly changed his tune. Now, if you could convince him to try a different sauce, although the one he makes is pretty fantastic.

sarah says:

Just a quick question…I don’t have a pan with a rack. Can I just use the foil lined pan?

April says:

These were the most disgusting wings we have ever had!!! I have never been so disappointed in a recipe. My husband and I always eat all our hot wings NOT THROW ‘EM AWAY because they left such a nasty aftertaste in your mouth. Very disappointed!

Finally – I can bake wings instead of deep fry them. I usually deep fry in batches (about 10 at at time) which is never enough to feed the 6 of us – so to be able to bake 40 wings at a time in the oven was great! The baking powder did not leave any after taste – all 5 lbs of wings were devoured! We love wings – especially during football season!

Steph says:

I was so excited to make these and I failed miserably. Misread the directions and used baking soda instead of powder. Totally in edible :(

jason says:

I don’t suggest using a gallon ziplock to coat them. The steam and the backing powder makes a paste. Better to do it in an open air bowl.

Desiree says:

Soooo good :) We just tried these last night for the Super Bowl and they were a hit! Definitely cook these on a cookie sheet with a lip all around. I had some chicken grease spill over and things got a bit smoky. But these were very crispy and delicious. We served them with Buffalo Sauce, 1 cup BBQ sauce, 1 T Dry Cajun Seasoning, 1 T Hot Sauce. YUM!

Dottie says:

Can you bake these & then freeze them, reheat & douse in sauce?? I’m looking for things I can make ahead since I’m doing so many appetizers

Psalmopoeus says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe! These wings look so good. I just made a batch with 4lbs of chicken wings. I did a few things differently; I cooked them an extra ten minutes at 250 degrees and halfway through baking at 425, I flipped the wings over on the pan and put them back in at 450. They crisped up very nicely. They are cooling right now and will be tossing them in hot sauce shortly!

trinna says:

Can you make these ahead of time and then warm up? If so, how? Thanks!