Pumpkin Spice Scones from Our Best Bites intro copyScones hold a special place in my heart because they’re one of the first things I learned how to bake that weren’t cookies.  In my high school Home Ec. class, I was partnered up with my friend Amanda, and we learned about cutting in butter, and mixing dry and wet ingredients, and all that good stuff.  I still remember our teacher explaining the exact texture and consistency that we should have when breaking up the butter, and how that creates the steam needed for flaky baked goods.  That was my freshman year of high school, and I’ve been whipping up scones ever since.  They’ve become a go-to when my family wants a sweet treat and I don’t want to slave over anything complicated.  I think scones are even easier to make than muffins because there’s no scooping and filling; the dough is so super fast and they’re hot out of the oven in no time.  This is a basic cream scone, with a spiced autumn-y makeover.  I actually specifically came up with this recipe to use the remaining pumpkin left in a can after making a recipe that calls for one cup (like my overnight baked pumpkin french toast!)   This is a quick and easy way to use it up.

Start by mixing up some quick dry ingredients.  We have flour, baking powder, brown sugar, some spices, and a little salt.

Sugar for sconesUse a whisk to mix those together until everything is incorporated.

Dry Ingredients for Pumpkin Scones
Then you’ll want to cut up some very cold butter (straight from the fridge) into small chunks.

Cutting in Butter Step 1
Since there’s not too much, I think hands work great here.  Just gently flatten out the little pieces of butter and break them up into the dry ingredients.  You can see I still have visible pieces of butter, and that’s important.  You don’t want to overwork butter in scones or they’ll end flat, dry, and dense.

Cutting in Butter Step 2
Next you’ll whisk together your wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, vanilla, cream, and an egg.

Pumpkin Scones Wet Ingredients

Use a fork to gently pull the dough together.  Don’t use any kind of mixer here; it just take a few seconds to mix up the dough by hand.

Mixing Scone Dough
Mix it until it just comes together.

Pumpkin Scone DoughGently pat the dough into a circle shape, about an inch or so thick.  Use a pizza cutter to divide it into wedges.  One thing I always do with scones, that I didn’t do here because I was distracted by picture taking, is to take a little of your cream and brush it over the top, then sprinkle with sugar (coarse sugar if you have it) before cutting them. It gives them a beautiful, sparkly sweet crust.

You can bake them a couple of different ways.  You can leave them in the circle just like I have below, only pulling them all away from each other just about an inch or so (to give them room to grow) and then pull them apart after baking,

Pumpkin Scone Dough Cut into Wedges
Or you can separate them all like this:

Cut Scone Dough
Either way, bake them until they’re puffed and slightly golden.  Scones dry out and become overcooked very easily once they’ve been in there a little too long, so make sure to check them with a toothpick and take them out as soon as that thing comes out without wet dough attached.

Baked Scones
While the scones are cooling on a rack, mix up a quick glaze.  All you need is some powdered sugar, a little maple extract, and a little cream.

Powdered Sugar for Maple Glaze
Just whisk it all together,

Maple Glaze
until you have a nice glaze-y consistency.

Maple Glaze on Spoon
Then drizzle it all over the place.

Glazed Scones on Drying Rack

My favorite thing is how glaze creeps into the cracks and crevices on top.

Drizzled SconesThese are so yummy when eaten just a little warm, with softened butter slathered on there. Scones aren’t quite as sweet as say, a muffin, because you generally put yummy stuff on there like butter, jam, or maple glaze, so load it up!

Buttered Scone

They’re super amazing with pumpkin or apple butter, or the cinnamon maple butter I’ll share with you next week!  You can also add chocolate chips or cinnamon chips if you want.

Pumpkin Spice Scones from Our Best Bites

Yum! These look like a perfect breakfast for Thanksgiving guests!

Catherine MacDonald says:

Looks and sounds delicious!
    There seems to be a problem with the recipe box again; it saves a brown rice recipe rather than this one.

Loving that glaze! Delicious!

Rachel says:

Yummy yummy! So I have all the ingredients except maple extract. Can I just use maple syrup – it is the pure maple good stuff??

You could play around with that. I’d probably skip the cream all together and just use maple syrup since it’s not as strong- but yes, definitely use the good stuff (100% pure maple syrup)

Catherine&Joseph says:

What temperature do you bake them at?

Susan says:

these look delicious! Might have to make time to bake them today. It’s even rainy, I love baking when its raining.

Lee Ann says:

For your gluten-free readers, this recipe is VERY similar to the one posted here and it’s excellent! http://www.redhorsemountain.com/gluten-free-pumpkin-scones/

These look great! I’ve never made scones before but I am encouraged that you say they are easier than muffins :) I will have to give them a try.

Jamie says:

The butter creates steam pockets? Thank you for explaining that – I know one should leave visible butter but never knew why. I feel so much smarter today because of your pumpkin scone post – thank you! = )

Scones (and pie crusts) are one of the few things I have not attempted on my own when it comes to baking and I keep meaning to!! In fact, baking a pie totally from scrath is on our fall bucket-list… I’m thinking these scones may have to come first, though. Yum! (And it just so happens that I made that pumpkin french toast bake yesterday, so I have some leftover pumpkin puree to use up anyway!)

Ellie says:

Too many of my kids are non-pumpkin lovers for me to make something like this because I would eat way too much of it. But you inspired me to try a scone recipe that a friend of mine makes and I had no idea they were so easy OR so much more delicious when they are hot. And my kids love them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hannah says:

I wanted to make pumpkin-something that wasn’t too sweet today, and this was perfect! Mine turned out a lot stickier; I couldn’t slice into 6, so I just dropped it unto the pan. I’m not sure if that is because I used soy cream (diet restrictions) or if it was just a fluke. But, I hope they turn out just the same way next time because they were delicious! So moist and just the right amount of sweetness. I used carmel extract because it’s what I had on hand and my 4 year old declared that they were the best treats I had ever made.

Thanks for another great recipe!

Megan L. says:

Hey! They’re even REAL scones, not Utah scones! I was so confused the first time I had breakfast with my future mother-in-law. The “scones” she put in front of me were NOT what I was expecting :)

Elyse says:

I wonder if I could get away with using canned coconut milk for the cream and coconut oil for the butter.

Pat says:

I agree with the people who said the dough was very wet. They are in the oven now after adding much more flour, so don’t know how they will come out.

Natasha says:

Hello- I just want to tell you how much I love your blog and your cookbooks. I received both of your cookbooks for Christmas last year, and I enjoy using them so much. The recipes are so fun and delicious! Thank you so much for being so awesome!

Oh my goodness, I am SO sorry! I don’t know if you follow me on Instagram, but I posted this funny picture when I was typing out this recipe. The funny part (not for you- for me, lol) was that after some research I remembered what was going on and that the correct measurement for cream was the 1/4 cup. But apparently I had 3/4 on the brain and wrote it into the recipe when I typed it up! I didn’t realize that until just now after these few comments about the dough being wet. I just updated it and I wish I could make you a new batch myself, I’m so sorry!

Leigh Anne says:

Made these this AM for breakfast and they were amazing! I am having to use all my self-control not to eat the whole recipe! This is my first time making scones (I know, where have I been?)…… But they turned out fantastic. Kids loved them too. I only had half&half instead of cream and they were great. Can’t imagine them being any tastier with the cream ;). Thanks for a great pumpkin recipe for my repitoire!

Eve says:

I saw a recipe just like this on Southern at Heart on Food Network by Damaris,except it was maple cinnamon icing.

Irene says:

Thanks! All prepped and ready to bake in the morning! I can’t wait to eat it! BTW, you’re missing where the vanilla goes on the print version.