Posted in Rolls

One Hour Rolls sm There is something about the months of November through about February that make me want some form of warm carbohydrate to accompany every meal I consume.  My problem with most yeast breads is that I don’t realize I want to eat them until I’m pulling everything out an hour or so before dinner to start prepping.  Homemade dough can be a big, long process and recipes that involve multiple risings and 2-3 hour windows, require some planning- which is why I usually only make them on special occasions.  So this recipe is what I use on those easy weeknights when I just want to throw something together quickly and have it done in an hour ready to dunk into a warm bowl of soup.  If you’re not a bread-maker, this recipe is totally for you.  You don’t have to proof yeast, you don’t have to let the dough rise more than once, and you don’t even need to worry about shaping it nicely.  This is as easy as it gets, and they’re done in about an hour (I always allow just a little longer).

I actually based this recipe off of our Everyday Cinnamon Rolls, and it remains very, very similar.  One of the reasons that cinnamon roll recipe is so popular is because it’s quick!  Many One-Hour Roll recipes you’ll find involve very limited ingredients, namely flour, water, salt, and yeast.  That’s because things with fats and proteins, like milk, eggs, and butter, slow down the yeast activity.  However, I played around with things and found I could use milk (I purposely use non-fat), a little butter, and a single egg, and still get quick results, with way more flavor than the basic recipes.  So if you’re craving fresh bread, no fear.  It’s only about an hour away.

First place some milk, butter, and sugar in a microwavable container.  If you’re out of milk, water will work fine, too.  You want the temperature to be between 120-130; in my microwave that’s just about exactly 2 minutes.

Liquid Ingredients
While that’s warming up, mix the dry ingredients.  One of the tricks of quick rolls is to use “rapid rise” or “quick rise” yeast.  “Bread machine yeast” is usually the same thing as well.  There’s no proofing involved here, (that’s when you mix the yeast with warm water until it’s foamy)  you can just put the yeast directly into the flour and stir it up.  I usually keep a jar of yeast on hand, so I’m calling for a tablespoon here, but know that if you don’t make bread very often and you have little packets of yeast and don’t want to open more than one, this will work just fine with a packet.

Quick Rise Yeast
In fact I made this very batch I’m photographing with a single packet (which is 2 1/4 teaspoons, so less than the tablespoon called for in the recipe) and it’s just fine.

Dry Ingredients You need the milk mixture to be between 120-130 degrees.  It needs to be at least 120, and anything over 140 will damage the yeast, so I usually shoot for right around 125.  If you have a digital thermometer you can pop in there quickly, it will save you lots of guess work.

Wet ingredients Temperature Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture.  If you’re using a stand mixer, just turn the beater on and slowly pour it in. I also like to add an egg, but you can leave out the egg if you want and replace it with 1/4 water.  I find the egg gives the rolls a bit more structure.  Without the egg, the rolls are just as delicious, it’s just a little bit different texture.  It is important to note, however, that you’ll want to let your egg sit in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes to bring it to room temperature.  Otherwise, when you put the chilled egg into your dough with that warm milk, it will bring the temperature down.

Mixing Bread Dough Then add a little more flour.  This dough will be very soft and sticky, so don’t start thinking it needs way more flour and go dumping it in.  Or if you do, don’t come back and leave me comments saying your rolls were dense and gross.  It should just barely come away from the bowl when you’re beating it, but still be sticky to the touch.  I add just a little less than 4 1/2 cups, usually more like 4 1/4, and then I put the last 1/4 cup on the surface where I’m rolling out my dough.

One Hour Dough
The trick here is to get that nice flour-covered surface, and then gently scrape the dough onto it using a spatula.  Once it’s all plopped on out, use the flour on your board to sprinkle all over the dough so it doesn’t stick to your hands.  Don’t knead the flour in, just use it to coat the outside of the dough.  Use light hands and form the dough into a smooth-ish shape.

I like to then score my dough with a pizza cutter, it helps to get even sized rolls.  For dinner rolls, I do 24.

Cropping out Bread Dough

Then just grab the portions and lightly form into balls.  And I use the term “ball” loosely here. As you can see, you don’t need to spend very much time perfecting little dough spheres.  Just lightly round them and plop them in there.

Rolls for Rising
You’ll need to set them aside to rise now, and I have a few more tricks for you.  One of my favorite features of my Thermador ovens is that they have a “proof” setting, which warms up the oven to a cozy 100 degrees.

Proof Setting

But I have a couple of other ways to create the best environment for rising dough.  If you’ve got double ovens, you’ll want to preheat one of them to actually bake the rolls, but with the other, you can turn it on to the very lowest temperature setting (that’s usually 170-200) when you start prepping the dough.  Leave it on for about 5 minutes and then turn it off and that should warm things up nicely.

Another favorite trick, which I actually still use, even with that proof setting on my oven, is to create a little steam room.  Place your pan of rolls in the oven (the oven is turned off) and place a pan underneath it.  Pour boiling water into the extra pan and then immediately shut the oven door.  The steam will not only warm up the space, but it also creates moisture that will help the dough stay elastic and not dry out on top.

Steam Oven for Proofing If you have a single oven, and need to preheat it for baking, I used to do that steam trick in my microwave.  If you have a rack, you can place rolls on top and steam on bottom, and if you don’t have a rack, chances are you can fit a drinking glass or mug in the corner (or two) of the microwave and achieve the same thing.  After 20-30 minutes, the dough should be nice and plumped up; about double in size (or just a bit less).  I usually let them rise closer to 30 minutes.  Most one-hour recipes will tell you 20, but that’s almost never long enough for me.

One Hour Rolls Rising
After they’ve grown and plumped, pop them in a preheated oven and bake them until they’re nice and golden .

Baked One Hour Rolls When they come out of the oven, immediately brush them with melted butter.

Butter Topped Rolls If you want to make these into bread sticks, you could roll dough in butter and our Garlic Bread Seasoning, or if you’re like me, you’ll save at least a little to bake a tiny pan of cinnamon rolls.  As you can see by this photo, these didn’t even last long enough for me to snap a picture.

Cinnamon Rolls And definitely, definitely, make a batch of our Maple Cinnamon butter to go with these, no matter how you make them!

Buttery One Hour Dinner Rolls from Our Best Bites

Melissa says:

My little proofing trick is to live in Southern Arizona. Then you can set just the rolls outside where it is a cozy 100 degrees. ;)

Lynette says:

I’m glad it’s not only me that wants some sort of bread with my dinner. I looked at my plan this week, and there’s at least 2 bread-ish meals…and we had like 4 last week! I will have to remember these rolls when I’m in a pinch!

Tara says:

I’m making these right now – they look great so far! I’m assuming they are baked at 350 degrees, but I don’t see the temperature anywhere in the recipe!

Emily Marie says:

Yay!!! Too bad I didn’t have this recipe yesterday afternoon about 4:00, but I’m so excited I have it now! I always want rolls on Sunday afternoons, but with 1:00 church, it just never happens. I’m so excited to try this – I think I’ll make them tonight! I love the taste of milk in rolls, but if I only have 2% milk, should I decrease the butter a tad? Like 2.5 tbls maybe? Or just not worry about it? Maybe I’ll just experiment. :) Also, the recipe calls for 4-1 1/2 cups flour, which I’m sure means 4 1/2 cups, but thought you might want to fix it. :)

Wow! One hour definitely going to have to try this recipe for dinner rolls :) Thanks for sharing.

The recipe remains the same- all of those little tricks are just ways you can accelerate things even faster! If your house is particularly cool, you might place the rolls on top of an appliance like the fridge, or in the laundry room when your dryer is going. Sounds weird, but it helps!

You can use whole milk, you might just need to allow a little extra time for rising.

Becky says:

I have dry active Yeats. Would I just need to proof it first?

Laura says:

Just one question – why the non-fat milk as opposed to whole milk?

Amy Huntley says:

We have the same problem with homemade rolls at my house. I always plan for them right before dinner time! I am going to give these a try! My family thanks you!! Pinned!

Judy says:

I have a son with a milk allergy, so I’m going to try using soy milk and soy butter.

Diane says:

I’m excited… yesterday I wished I made rolls (though I probably didn’t even have an hour, and dinner required the oven). I tried a “30 minute” roll recipe a few times, and while it was bread, it was kind of weird. Definitely going to try these.

Diane says:

Definitely an improvement on my previous “30 minute” attempts, though I think the texture would have improved if they rose a little more. I’m not sure if my liquid was too hot or if my ambiguous yeast wasn’t quite right for the job (it says active, fast-rising, says I can use it like instant yeast… hmmm). It was a little sweeter than I like – so like others, I’m wondering if it would hurt the speedyness if I reduced it?

Jenny says:

These look great! How would you turn this dough into cinnamon rolls?!!!

I love carbs at every meal and same thing – never think of it in time for “proper” bread making – I’ll have to try these in place of my usual scones/biscuits!

Sunny Drohan says:

If I use the microwave to let the dough rise, do I put the microwave on a low low setting or just put inside and let it ris? I am in Bonita Springs, Fl. and of course have airconditioning and so no place really warm in the house.
    This recipe looks awesome and I am anxious to give it a go.
    Thanks.

Sue says:

wondering if these can be made in advance and then baked right before dinner? Or even made the night before and then baked the next day??

Amy Oppie says:

Can these be frozen and stored for eating later? Wondering if I could save some time and make a large batch or use these for my freezer meal exchange.

Yes, you just roll them into balls and then freeze in a single layer. Once frozen, you can put them in a container or ziplock bag. To use, just leave out like you would a Rhodes Roll, they probably need 4-ish hours to thaw out and then rise. I froze some of this very batch to test, and it works, however they don’t puff up nearly as much as they do when fresh. They do taste great, though.

• Angel says:

thanks for posting the reply, I wanted to freeze them ahead of time for Thanksgiving and Christmas, this looks easy to do

Julie says:

Hooray! I can’t wait to try these – I always want rolls for dinner when it’s too late to make traditional ones.

Mary says:

I loved all the recipes so much on the post that I went out and bought the book. Thanks Sara & Kate! I can’t wait to start cooking! The green beans are the MUST TRY recipe for me…Yes, something green must be on every plate in our house. Unless it’s enchilada’s, then its okay. And when it’s spaghetti & meat sauce, then its okay too… And when….JK. I just love veggies!

melanie says:

can u put this all in a loaf pan and make sandwich type bread?? hoping :)
    thanks, love your blog and app

Happy Thanksgiving to both of your families…

You could try, but I don’t think this is the best dough for sandwich bread. You need a little more structure, which will come from longer proofing and rising. But you could experiment!

Tiffany says:

OH MY! These sound so yummy right now. We will be having these with dinner, soon. Thanks for sharing.

Keli says:

I have to own your baking dish that your cinnamon rolls are in. This is non-negotiable. Where did you purchase such beauty?

Isn’t that cute? I got it at Tai Pan, but I’ve seen them at places like Ross and TJ Maxx, too. I bought 6 of them in all different sizes, shapes and colors and they were only like, 3 bucks each. Such a deal!

Oh boy, these look good and easy enough for me to make. That’s a dangerous combo. :)

Courtney says:

I went through all my cookbooks tonight trying to find a quick dinner roll recipe. No luck, came on here and wolla, quick and easy dinner rolls! Thank you! They are in the oven proofing right now.

Lisa Roetker says:

Ok, so I start out with 3.5 c of flour, and then I’m adding an additional 4-4.5 cups of flour? I’m confused because the list of ingredients says 4-4.5, not 7-7.5 or whatever. I’m a bit confused because I’m at that stage and 4 cups seems like a lot. I guess I’m going to have to wing it!

shannon.johanni@facebook.com says:

Hi! I’ve never deviated from one of your recipes (because they’re all perfectly delicious), but given my dislike of sweet bread , especially sweet dinner rolls,, I was curious how much I could cut the sugar and still have enough to feed the yeast? Thanks!

Chelan says:

Pressed this recipe into service as a faux focaccia. Instead of rolling the dough into balls, I spread it in a 9×13 pan, scored it, let rise, dimpled it, and baked at 350. Next time, I’ll add Parm, garlic, and Italian seasoning to the dough and cut the sugar a bit. Great recipe!

Angela says:

I like the idea of making a mini dish of six cinnamon rolls with part of the dough. Do you think you would score and use the same amount of dough for six dinner rolls or do you need more dough for the cinnamon rolls? Thanks! Your recipes are so great. Your cookbooks are always out on my counter since I use them ALL the time:)

You’ll need a little more dough that you would for 6 dinner rolls. I’d probably divide the dough in half and just use half for rolls and half for cinnamon. The cinnamon rolls are super flexible because you can make them big or small, you just need a rolled out rectangle about 9 inches wide and maybe at least about 6 inches the other way.

MCS Gal says:

I am going to try this. I enjoy rolls but I never think about making them early enough to have them ready for dinner.

Jenny says:

It was already 5:00 when my husband said he liked the idea of potato soup more than the dinner plan I had in mind. I wanted rolls to go with it and remembered that this had been posted today. We were eating by 6:30 and everyone was thrilled with the meal. Thanks OurBestBites! You did it again! Easy to make, delicious to eat – totally what I think of with your recipes.

Sherri Erkel says:

Have you tried these with whole wheat flour? I want a whole wheat bread with tonight’s dinner…
    Thanks!

I haven’t- but you could experiment with half whole wheat. It might take a little longer to rise, but I bet it would work just fine! Did you try it already?

• Sherri Erkel says:

Sara, I ended up making them with all white flour as the recipe calls for but will experiment next time. They were perfect! I brushed them with butter and then sprinkled your garlic bread seasoning mix on top and served them with your Sausage Tortellini Soup from Savoring the Seasons cookbook and it was the. best. for a cold autumn evening. My husband had to “have a moment” with the bread! My 4 year old helped make them–they were that easy and stress-free! Thank you for another winner.

Theresa says:

Sara, these look delicious, and I really enjoy your site. I’ve made a few loaves of bread and rolls in my time so I am familiar with working with doughs, but was wondering what the knead time was on this. You never mentioned kneading this dough. Does it need a “kneading” period or do you literally just mix it until incorporated?

Thank you!

Ellen says:

Made these last night, and thanks! It was a leeetle tempting to throw in more flour, but I kept calm, and they were delish! Also, great blog. Just recently found you gals, and love your recipes and such. Thanks again.

Sarah Searle says:

Do you think SAF Instant yeast would work?

Betty says:

What about using powdered milk for the rolls….would you need to scald it or just mix it with warm water?

heather r says:

My favorite way to help rolls or breads to rise (I use this all the time with Rhodes rolls) is to put the pan on top of a heating pad set on medium heat. Works perfectly every time, I promise! (One time last winter I couldn’t find my heating pad and I actually put the pan of rolls on our bed with the electric blanket on high! bwahahahaha)

Amy L says:

Turned these into garlic bread sticks tonight. So easy and so good! My kids love you.

Laura says:

Made these tonight…right before dinner and after dinner was actually done. When my hubby sat down, he looked around and asked where the package was! Nevermind that the kitchen was covered in flour…definitely my new go-to rolls!

Brenda says:

Here’s another weird rising trick that I learned from a veteran baker at a baking class many years ago: Place your covered rolls on the top rack of your dishwasher, then close the door and set it for the drying cycle. Just don’t start the regular wash cycle by mistake! 8)

Julie H says:

I made these Monday night and I liked that they were quick but I am so spoiled by your world’s best roll recipe that I didn’t love these as much. I like making extra and having them in the freezer to warm up for last minute rolls. I’m making a couple batches ahead and freezing for Thanksgiving. Love your rosemary focaccia recipe too!

Heather says:

I made these last night and loved them!! They turned out beautifully and I am so thankful to have a recipe that I can throw together in the late afternoon! Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe!

Teresa says:

I made these the day you posted it. YUM! Any thoughts on this recipe with Gluten-Free flour? We have a family event this weekend and how nice to be able to share the yumminess with my GF sister-in-law. I’ve never tried cooking/baking GF. And I’ve been bragging to everyone about how easy and yummy they are. My family LOVES every recipe I try from your site. We eat the Guilt-Free Alfredo sauce weekly.

I am trying these out right now! I think my yeast is too old :( They are not raising! I need to quit buying the giant bags of yeast, I never get through it before it goes bad, even with keeping it in the freezer. I will try these again with new yeast. I am sure my family will like them despite my goof!

Rita Troseth says:

Have you ever checked out “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day”? You keep a really wet dough in your fridge for up to 2 weeks, and pull off a chunk to bake when you need it. My go to bread is a homemade pita from it, about 10 minutes from cold oven to hot pita. and the dough can be used to make anything from boules to cinnamon rolls to loaves, rolls, na’an, and more.

Kristin says:

These are the best rolls I have ever made! The milk and egg really give it that yummy restaurant quality the other recipes are missing. You rock! And I will follow your blog forever. :-)

Kim G says:

I made these yesterday with whole milk (that is what I had) and half whole wheat flour. They took closer to 40 minutes to rise for me (I used the microwave/boiling water method- genius!). They had a good texture and taste. I wish they would have had a golden top just because it is prettier, but taste always wins in my mind so I am satisfied. I have made your breadsticks (with half whole wheat flour) four times in the last month because special occasions keep popping up and I am gaining confidence in my yeast baking abilities thanks to your posts! Thanks!

Rob says:

Another time and work saving trick I use is to dump the risen dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Dust fairly generously with flour. Roll gently into a rectangle about 3/4″ thick. Cut into roll-size squares with pizza wheel. DO NOT divide the squares. Cover and allow to rise to almost double while oven preheats. Bake. Rolls tear apart nicely after baking.

Heather says:

Can I make these day before? want to make for thanksgiving but just make a head

Heather, since these are so quick and easy, by design, I don’t ever make them ahead. I have frozen them, as I noted in the post, but I don’t think they taste nearly as good.

alka, like the directions say, just leave out the egg and sub 1/4 cup water instead.

heather says:

I saw someone else ask about using Gluten Free flour but didn’t see a response yet? Thoughts? I usually use the Domata (I think) brand that already has the xantham gum in it so it claims you can use it “cup for cup” in all your regular flour recipes. Will it work?

Andrea says:

Could you use buttermilk with this recipe?

Julie says:

help! We surprised our kids with a thanksgiving visit, and they want my homemade rolls. The recipe is in AZ, but seems similar to this except it uses nonfat instant powder milk. And how much would I increase the ingredients to serve 50 people?

Jessica says:

This is an amateur question, I’m sure, but I’m having trouble getting my rolls to turn out nice and golden brown. Do I need to move my oven rack up a bit, perhaps? I have it on the middle setting right now. The rolls taste delicious, but they’re just not as pretty as yours. ;)

Launie says:

Bree- it’s probably too late, but I made these for the first time on Thanksgiving. I used the dough hook and was not at all impressed. The flour did not get mixed in very well at all. A couple days later I made some chicken soup and tried these again with that flat beater thing on my Kitchen aid and WOW! Much better, so I say use the flat beater thingy. Great recipe!

Bobbie Jean says:

I just wanted to thank you for a great quick roll recipe. I made these last night to go with my turkey noodle soup and everyone raved about them and wanted the recipe. Thanks once again OBB ladies, you guys are awesome!!

Thank you for sharing this recipe great 1 hour roll recipe. They turned out perfect! Just like the roll recipe passed down from my great-great grandmother, in a fraction of the time (and less dense too, but don’t tell my mom I said that ;). And now, my family doesn’t have to wait for special occasions to have handmade rolls for dinner anymore!

I will try freezing them because even as much bread as the six of us will eat, 24 was too much for us.
    I think I will also try cutting the recipe in half and see if it still comes out as delicious. I’ll let you know how it turns out :)

Thanks again!

Debra says:

Can this be made into a loaf of bread, not rolls?

Kimberly says:

I made these this morning for Christmas dinner. I didn’t have milk on hand, so I used almost a cup of plain soymilk and water to make up the difference. I got the best compliments – “these taste just like Grandma’s!”

Julia says:

I made them for our christmas dinner this year and they turned out soooo delicious! Just everybody loved them!!! Thanks for this wonderful receipe!

My3angels777 says:

We have family day on Sunday after church with all our family, extended family, and friends, and I am always looking to try new recipes. These dinner rolls came out so light and delicious, and went really well with my homemade potato and ham soup. I also had to make those delicious looking cinnamon rolls, and they were a big hit with everyone. Soooo good, everyone had to go for seconds. Thanks for the great recipes :)