Two Ingredient Pancakes IntroA few months ago I picked up a muscle magazine at the gym and almost gagged out loud when I read a recipe for “Protein Cupcakes” that involved mixing protein powder and plain yogurt together and piping it on top of some concoction involving pureed beans, flax seed, wheat germ, and egg whites.  “It tastes JUST like a cupcake!”  One thing was clear- it had obviously been a long time since that person had consumed an actual cupcake.  It’s like when people tell you that you’ll never know there’s kale in that sludge-colored smoothie you’re drinking (I can tell) or that you won’t miss pasta if you substitute a spaghetti squash (no really, you’ll miss it.  A lot.)  So listen up.  I’m not going to tell you this little miracle recipe tastes just like a pancake.  Use your brain and look at the ingredient list.  The only two necessary ingredients here are these:

Egg and Banana

Seriously.  No flour, nothing else.

I’ve seen this recipe floating around for years, in those same magazines that tried to tell me that my brain will not know the difference between protein powder with yogurt and glorious butter and sugar, so naturally I discounted it immediately.  But over the past year or so I’ve seen this popping up in more and more reputable sources, so eventually I gave it a try- fully expecting to laugh in the epic failure it surely would be.  But something happened.  Don’t ask me how.  Somehow when you mix bananas and eggs together and say some magic words, an unseen universe wizard comes and sprinkles pancake dust on it and it magically turns into this:

Pancakes

It’s sort of amazing actually.  The result is obviously different than a standard carb-filled pancake.  The best way to describe the flavor and texture is it’s like the center of a piece of french toast.  Kind of eggy and crepe-ish.  Keep that in mind when you make these.  If you’re expecting a real pancake you’ll be sorely disappointed.  While these certainly aren’t meant to replace a good ol’ classic pancake, surprisingly they’ve found a solid place in my kitchen.  They take literally 30 seconds to make, and less than a minute to cook.  They’re low calorie, high protein, and my kids love them.  That means pancakes on a week day morning or a quick daytime snack is totally doable.  If you’re into fit food and healthy eating, you’ll probably love these.  Banana and eggs?  Pretty much the perfect pre or post workout combo. So watch this:

One large banana.  Open ‘er up and mash it with a fork.  You’ll want to mash it pretty well, a little more than you’d mash for banana bread.  If you don’t mash well, you’ll end up with kind of a lumpy gooey mess that basically tastes like scrambled eggs and banana chunks and then you’ll come back and leave mean comments on this post.  And no one wants that.

Mashed Banana

Crack open 2 eggs and mix it in there.

Eggs and Banana

Now that’s seriously ALL you need.  I promise.  You could mix that up really well and then pour the batter on a hot pan just like you’d cook a normal pancake.  I add couple more things, namely a tiny pinch of baking powder, and a few dashes of cinnamon.

Cinnamon and Baking Powder

Remember back in my Healthy Thai Chicken Salad recipe when I introduced you to PB2 (powdered peanut butter)?  I love that stuff.  When I’m making these for my kids, I add a couple of spoonfuls of that in as well because it adds a little protein and makes the pancakes a little more substantial.  It doesn’t really make them taste like peanut butter, but I do like the addition.

Eggs, banana, PB2

Now, you can make these in the blender as well.  I actually usually throw everything in my blender, but if you process them until it’s totally smooth, your pancakes will be quite a bit flatter.  So I just pulse a few times until it’s all mixed, but you can still see some small chunks of banana. If you have a high-powered blender like the Blendtec, it really takes like, one pulse.

Blendtec

Then you’ll just cook them on a hot skillet just like you would a normal pancake.

Cooking Pancakes

I mentioned the taste and texture is similar to the middle of a piece of french toast,  or a crepe.  Neither of those things are very sweet and if you eat them on their own they’re mediocre at best.  When you eat that first pancake off the griddle you might be thinking the same thing.  Sweet eggs.  Yum, Sara.  Just what I was craving.

Stick with me.  You just need a little somethin’ somethin’.  But look at those cuties.  I like to call these ‘toddler pancakes’ because these are perrrrfect for little kids.  All three of mine love these.  Look at them- they look just like normal pancakes, crazy, right?

cooked banana pancakes

While they’re hot off the pan, spread them with a little butter.

Landolakes light butter

My favorite lower calorie option these days is this Land O Lakes light butter.

Spread Butter

Then drizzle with a little syrup.  Or you could use agave, honey, or any other sweetener you like.  (I love this Blueberry agave).

Banana Pancakes with Syrup

And while that’s delish, if you really want to make them yummy, give them a smear of nut butter, too. (I literally only buy Justin’s Maple Almond Butter in the sample pack size because I can’t have open jars of the stuff around.  It’s amazing and swoon-worthy.  (Also, this is not in any way a sponsored post even though I’m doing a ton of brand-naming today.  Just sharing some favorites.)

Justin's PB

Spread on a little love…

PB on Pancakes

and give that a drizzle.

2 ingredient pancakes

It’s honestly really, really good.

Healthy Low Carb Pancakes from Our Best Bites

And not horrible for you.

Close up of 2 ingredient pacakes

You know you have to go try this now.

Sweet Healthy Pancakes form Our Best Bites

Because you’re dying to know if I’m crazy like the protein cupcake lady.

Eating Pancakes
There’s one positive review.  I didn’t say a word about what was in these pancakes.  I just stood off to the side like a silent camera-wielding ninja.  I’m positive some of you will hate these, and some of you will love them.  Try for yourself and see which camp you fit in.  Let the games begin!

Quick and Healthy Two Ingredient Pancakes from Our Best Bites

Give it a shot and have an open mind.  Let me know what you think!  (Don’t forget the butter and syrup.  And maybe peanut butter.)

Last week we had some technical issues that made it difficult for many of you to access our site.  We apologize for that inconvenience.  We’re all fixed up now, and in case you missed the great recipes from last week, make sure to check out these links!

Review1.  Kate’s Chicken Enchilada Soup- this is on my menu this week.  Hot, cheesy, creamy, basically everything awesome about Enchiladas.  In a soup.

2.  Come peek into my kitchen and see the appliance I get asked about the most!  This thing is sort of amazing, and you just might want one, too.

3.  SEAHAWK FANS!  This awesome party food recipe is perfect for football, but also for anything you need to color coordinate.  School colors, holidays, sports teams, you name it.  Also, a hilarious video in that post which is worth clicking just for that.

4.  Last but not least, Reuben Pigs in a Blanket.  If you didn’t know this fun fact, one of my favorite foods in the whole world is pigs in a blanket.  And not even the fancy kind.  I’m talking good ol’ hotdogs in crescent rolls with sliced cheese.  So these fancy ones will probably knock socks off.

PLEASE NOTE: If you leave a comment and don’t see it appear, no worries- it’s coming!  For some reason they’re delayed today, but it will pop up eventually.  We sure appreciate those of you who take time to comment on our posts- thank you!

Carly says:

Amazing. Pancakes are a favorite in my house, so I can’t wait to try these out!

Erica Borrowdale says:

I just made these, with a TBSP of cocoa powder in place of one of the TBSP of PB2. They were amazing, tasted like a slightly less sweet brownie =) I ate the whole batch… for way less damage then a couple pancakes. Thanks!

Anna says:

Amazing! I’ve seen these around, too, and I’m glad you reviewed them, because I trust you! My kids have a lot of food restrictions (one can’t have gluten or corn, the other can’t have dairy, wheat, soy, nuts, or fish), but they CAN have bananas and eggs!! Until now I’ve had to buy the Biscquick gluten-free pancake mix (which is really quite good), but this is a whole lot cheaper and easier and I almost always have these ingredients on hand! I’m excited to try this in the morning! Thanks!

I’m amazed that you can make pancakes with only two ingredients. Thanks for sharing :)

Lynness says:

Evidently the site is still having issues- I went to look at the steam oven post, since I hadn’t seen it, somehow, but it won’t let me post a comment, which is: is that a built-in thermometer sticking into the roast in that picture from Thermador?! And, more on topic, I will definitely have to try this ‘pancake’ recipe. And it might be perfect as it is for me- I like the ‘eggy’ taste and plain crepes and such.

Melissa says:

Oh I looove the almond butter!! I buy the packets too, I stash one in my purse for a snack (yup I can the whole thing in one go eep!)

Erin says:

I make these ALL-THE-TIME for my son. He thinks they’re real pancakes. I add almond flour to mine.

ned says:

This looks awesome!

Amy H says:

I already made these. You’re right, they are not just like pancakes but they are yum! You are not crazy :)

Abby says:

Do you think these could be made ahead and frozen?

Tish Hurd says:

Awesome recipe and so excited to try it and perfect for my 6 week challenge I started today. I love PB2, I like to add a little bit of honey to the mixture and then dip apples in it. I’ve always tried the regular but I think next time I’m going to order the chocolate one.

Good luck with your challenge, Tish! For what it’s worth- I actually like the regular PB2 better, I think it’s because the chocolate isn’t chocolate-y enough for me, lol.

garysgirl says:

Oooooo these look REALLY good!! Going to have to try these pronto! Thanks for sharing!

Candra says:

Where do you find/buy the sample packs of Justin’s Almond Butter?

We’ll look into it!

Mandy says:

Ha ha! Your favorite butter is what we use to get. However, we now make our own. Just put 1:1 ratio butter and canola oil in you blendtec. Mix. Pour into containers and place in fridge or freezer. Less $, still spreadable from fridge and tastes like butta!

Aimee Specht says:

I just made this for my kids, and my picky 3 year old just gobbled it up like candy. Thanks!

Thesha says:

Amazing! Thank you for sharing, we will be having these soon!

Claire says:

These look fantastic! The 3 ingredient banana-oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies floating around everywhere are also really good! I have this weird fear of agave because my sister in law used it forever and then found out that tons of women in China use it as a natural birth control-which she found out in the middle of a year of trying to have a baby, which didn’t happen for about 2 more years. Not saying the agave is to blame, but it gives me this irrational fear that if I eat it I’ll never have kids again! Haha

I’m not sure about the frozen brown bananas- my gut tells me that would be too liquidy and mushy. And if it makes you feel any better, I’ve had 3 healthy babies (with no issues of fertility) on a diet involving agave for quite some time ;)

Claire says:

Also, have you ever tried using brown bananas that have been frozen? Wondering if this would be a good use for those or would they be too mushy for it?

Jen everhart says:

Fan-freaking-tastic! These are amazing!

Ellie says:

Just tried these for lunch. I put a little peanut butter and maple syrup on mine, which mostly hides the flavor of any pancake, but the banana just peeked through, which was yummy.

Michelle Pedersen says:

We make these! Always a hit. :) I like to throw in a handful of oats, too – bulks them up a bit.

Mel says:

My mind is officially blown. Seriously. I don’t know where I’ve been but I’ve never even seen the mere suggestion of these pancakes so you can imagine the shock value of your post. Since we eat pancakes 3-4 times a week, there’s no way I’m NOT going to be able to try these soon. Super post!

Kristin says:

Ok, I first saw this on Pinterest a year or so ago, tried it and immediately put it onto my “epic fail” board. I trust you girls, so I tried this again and it isn’t as bad as I remember. The first time it was like scrambled eggs that tasted like bananas, yuck!! This time I added the baking powder and cinnamon like you suggested and then added peanut butter and syrup, aside from the texture difference, they really aren’t all that bad. The kids will probably like it more that I do though….

Holly says:

I love that these can be eaten as a snack and are QUICK! I just started working out again and getting back into that routine and sometimes my husband and I don’t go for a walk or run or lift weights or whatever we’re doing until after he gets home which can be like, 5:30 and then we’re starving afterwards! And I hate the nights we have a late-ish work out and then I munch on so much stuff in the kitchen while cooking because I’m starving! And the whole “I’ll do a slow cooker meal on the nights we work out late” doesn’t always happen – trying these this week! Thanks :)

Sheila H. says:

Super easy and delish. These also work with a heaping 1/4 cup of pumpkin and it reduces the sugar. I add pumpkin pie spice and the kids devour them.

Wynter says:

I’m really sorry. I just made these for a snack, and they are really gross! Not one person in my family would eat them.

Melody says:

I’m one of those crazy people that actually prefer spaghetti squash over pasta. I realized after a few go-rounds with it that it’s not the actual noodles I loved, it’s the sauce and amazing goodness that goes into the sauce that I love. Doesn’t really matter what I put it over, sometimes just grilled chicken, but the sauce is key. Plus, I feel way better when I don’t eat actual pasta. Those cupcake things though? No.

These look fab! We do something similar but more egg, less banana and turn it into a scramble. Add a little maple syrup and it’s totally delish.

Michelle says:

Just made these for lunch today (yep, lunch). Holy yum! I’m not one who eats a lot of bananas, but the banana flavor is totally mild and they were not at all egg-y. They’re perfect to fulfill a craving while staying away from grains. Had mine with almond butter and a teaspoon of honey…

Estee says:

Has anyone tried this same recipe but cooked in a waffle iron? :)

Erin R. says:

I LOVE these things! I started making them a few months ago and regularly have them for dinner. Tons of protein and fiber, and they are really good with a smear of jam. I always add a spoonful of rolled oats and a dab of nutmeg, but never thought about baking powder. I’m also going to try leaving it a bit chunkier instead of blending smooth next time. Thanks for the tips!

Christina says:

We practically live on these in my house. If you’re making the batter in the blender and want them a little sweeter you can add a couple dates. I always add a tablespoon of almond flour/meal too to make them a bit more substantial. My kid love them slathered with jam.

Lori says:

Those look like a great idea! Super healthy and still pancake-like. I used to make three ingredient oatmeal + cottage cheese + egg pancakes. You’re right, its not going to taste like a pancake, but its still easy and yummy!

Laura Fritz says:

I don’t want to be overly dramatic but… These are kind of changing my life! I have a seven month old and a two year old and they both loved these (I did too!). I also loved that they’re healthy, quick and I had everything on hand. This is going to make my life a WHOLE lot easier! thanks!

Trenya says:

I read this post this afternoon and went and made the recipe right away. The verdict? I love you! There are not many foods I can eat because I am very diabetic. It is always so hard to make pancakes (which I love) for my family and not eat them myself. I feel like I can have these with just a little drizzle of syrup. I love how honest you were about them. No, they aren’t the same as regular pancakes, BUT I really, really liked them. I didn’t have a large banana so I just used a smallish regular sized one and I did add the cinnamon and some baking powder. I topped them with butter, a little peanut butter, and syrup. My five year old made a face when she saw them and said they “looked gross” but after she had taken a bite or two, she said, “Mom, you’re gonna need to make more of these. They are so good!” She proceeded to eat three more, which is amazing because she is a tiny eater and fairly picky. In all honesty, my nine year old took one bite, wrinkled her face, and pushed the plate away, but she is extremely picky. My husband ate most of one but said he doesn’t like peanut butter on things and he left a bite or two uneaten. So, two out of four of us loved them. I’m looking forward to making them soon for my three other kids who weren’t home. Thanks for the post!

Sally says:

So good!!! I’m on weight watchers and made them with egg beaters instead of regular eggs. That makes the entire thing only 1 point! I made one huge pancake out of the mix and topped it with blueberries, pecans, whip cream, and coconut syrup. Filling an entire dinner plate that I could barely finish for 5 points total. My kind of breakfast, thank you!!!

Annalie says:

I must be doing something wrong. I had to turn the heat way down because they burned on the outside before they were done on the inside. Perhaps I was making them too big. They were delicious though! Thank you OBB!

Laura says:

I had same issue and when I tried to flip them just made a huge mess if they weren’t burnt.

Cassie says:

These were a hit with both my 10 mth and 3 year old this morning! Thanks!

kelli says:

Just made these with chocolate PB2. Really yummy. More like a crepe. Didn;t even need syrup with the chocolate PB2.

Yeni says:

Sara, do you think any unused batter can be saved for the next day?

During school days we never have time for pancakes, but these were easy and fast to prepare this morning. But I had half the batter left. Just wondering if it will be ok to keep in the fridge until tomorrow. Thanks for another great recipe!

I only get 500mg sodium/day and have been craving pancakes. I made these this morning and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I used cinnamon and vanilla and ground up some flax seed. They were great with maple syrup. Next time I may add a tablespoon or two of almond meal.

Ali says:

That is what I did with mine. I think they are good but 6yr old son said not pancake enough. The rest of the family hasn’t tried them yet.

TammyO says:

I must admit I was very skeptical right up until I poured the batter in the pan, but I trust you………… The result was delicious! I watched the kids faces closely as they took the first bite and they didn’t even blink an eye as they quickly took the next bite. I still can’t believe it – bananas and eggs! Thanks for the recipe!

Sarah says:

Tried these yesterday and they did NOT work for us. I’m not sure if I did something wrong but they would not “set up” in the pan. They never had enough body to flip, and by the time they got close they were pretty dark (close to burned) on the one side. :(

Sarah R says:

I had the same experience. I did not use a blender – just mashed the banana really well with a fork. I think that may have been the issue because the consistency if the batter was basically eggs with some banana chunks thrown in. So fliiping the “pancake” was like trying to flip an omelette over. They ended up being just piles of mush in the pan.

To be fair, the pieces I cooked tasted okay, but they did not resemble pancakes due to the issues with setting up.

tamara says:

The same happened to me. My kids still likes them but they were too hard to make again.

Robert says:

WOW! That’s it… WOW! I tried this today and did most everything incorrectly. Oh, I followed the basic instructions. 1 bananaa, 2 eggs, a bit of baking powder. Put it into a blender cup and gave it a spin. Then, I poured it (in its entirity) into a buttered fry pan. I’m in South America and don’t have a griddle, but the result was fantastic. Yes, some of the mixture didn’t get completely cooked, but the bottom of the “mega-cake” was nicely browned (perhaps a bit burned due to the quantity I was trying to cook), but the end result after I folded into an bamlette (that’s a banana pancake omlette) and plated, with a bit of sugar on top (not a lot of Maple Trees in SA) sat at my terrace and ate. Did I say WOW? It was fantastic! Now, not mentioned in your write-up, The apartment had the smell of banana wafting throughout. This is a keeper receipe and I’ll be making it often. May even have to go out and find a griddle to buy. If I didn’t before, I just wanted to say WOW!

Mark says:

Just made em for my wife & 3 grlz. Dash o’ cinnamon, nuttn’ else. They loved em with only syrup – didn’t seem to need butter. Mrs K put apple butter on hers and scoffed it all done. I’m gonna experiment with eggs & plaintain next…

Jenn B. says:

Super quick and easy to make, and most importantly-delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I have been doing paleo, and this fits right in and is tasty too.

Teresa N. says:

This recipe is awesome. As a Diabetic it’s so nice to have this. THANK YOU :)

Laura says:

I’ve made these several times now – they are a quick, easy, gluten and dairy free breakfast! I find them a bit hard to flip as well, since they’re so thin, so they don’t always look pretty but still taste good. While I was eating them this morning I started thinking about how good they would be with the syrup from these pancakes http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/09/banana-chocolate-chip-pancakes-with-peanut-butter-syrup-chunky-monkey-pancakes/

Katie says:

I was a little nervous with the mixed reviews but LOVED them! I used my food processor and added about 1/4 tsp vanilla. I thought they were great plain but loved them with the almond butter too! Thanks!

Anna says:

I made these for my boys. My 4-year-old can’t have dairy, soy, wheat, or nuts and my 2-year-old can’t have corn or gluten. So this was right up our alley! We put sun butter and peanut butter on them, and squished them together to sort of make a peanut butter sandwich and then dipped them in syrup. They were SO GOOD! Very crepe-ish, and I even liked them plain. I’ll definitely be making them again!

angela davidson says:

HELP! By the time they set up enough to flip the bottom side is black. I blended everything in my Vitamix! What am I doing wrong? I really want to make these work. Thank you!

Elise says:

These were actually really good. I was looking for breakfasts that are healthy and had heard about these but had never tried them until now. Definitely going to do these again. But don’t go into it thinking they will taste exactly like pancakes. They won’t. But they are still good and look enough like pancakes to trick your kids ;) Am going to add a little flour next time and try to trick my family.

Caitlin says:

Just tried this wow and all I can say is YUM. I didn’t do it exactly the same way, so it didn’t look pretty, but it tasted awesome! For taste I used cinnamon and, because waayyy too much poured out, a little bit of natural peanut butter to mellow it (just mixed it in the same bowl as the egg/banana). I only had one egg left so I just decided to make one big pancake in my frying pan, but tried to flip it too soon -and that’s where all hope of a pretty pancake died- and had to kind of squish it back together. In the end I flipped it several times and had 1/2 of a pankcake and the other 1/2 essentially scrambled. Added a little maple syrup in fear of what I may have done to the texture, but it was hardly needed -although certainly a nice addition! These pancakes are definitely gonna be a regular thing. :) Thank you!

Ely says:

This was fantastic, thank you for sharing! I added a tablespoon of self-rising flour and a handful of ground almonds leftover from making almond milk, and they turned out amazing. I don’t like a lot of toppings so I just used cinnamon sugar. I’m definitely adding these to my list of regular foods, they’re too good and easy to pass up when you’re surviving in a college dorm.

Fia says:

I add 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats and 1/8 tsp of baking powder and then spice it up with cinnamon, nutmeg and a few drops of vanilla. I usually make at least a double batch for my family and any leftovers are used with peanut butter for snacks or breakfast.

Fia says:

I probably should have mentioned that I put the oats in my food processor first and then add all the other ingredients and pulse until combined.

Jocelyn says:

I frequently make a very similar recipe. Instead of adding the PB2 – which is an issue for many if you want to pack them in school lunches – I add 1 1/2 Tbsp of coconut flour. It is very dry an absorbs a lot of moisture (sort of like the PB2) so don’t add more than that! It works great, an gives them a bit more of a ‘real’ pancake texture. My husband, 4yo and 10mo can’t get enough of them!!

Nathan Fasching says:

Would making pancakes work just using oatmeal & bananas??

Becky says:

Just tried these out in my teeny tiny apartment with nothing but the MOST basic of cooking materials–they were delicious! I was lacking in cinnamon but just sprinkled in a few pinches of sugar and lathered in butter (oops, sorry health-food dreams). They don’t taste exactly like pancakes, but really not very far off and tasty in their own right. Will be repeating!

Ann Sayegh says:

This article is amazing. lol. I wanted to try them since a friend recommended them, but you made me want to leave my desk at work and make them NOW. The pics and pairing suggestions were great! Thanks for your enthusiasm for a healthy lifestyle!

TJ says:

Awesome

except the canola oil butter!

Brittany says:

I tried these and they were a complete bust! :( They wouldn’t flip and turned into banana scrambled eggs more than anything. I was quite disappointed, I wish I knew what I was doing incorrectly because yours look delicious and I LOVE pancakes, not the calories.

gabi says:

i made them and for some reason they weren’t looking like yours at all! they weren’t flipping right and not cooking very easily :/

Traci says:

Made these this afternoon, really enjoyed them. I did add 1/4 cup oats (processed into fine powder first), dash of cinnamon, stevia, and vanilla. Did not use the baking powder because I was out. They turned out great. Now my main goal here was actually to use up the one ripe banana I had sitting around, so I didn’t feel awful about the bit of stevia, or the Nutella I spread on the tops (out of PB and almond butter is at work). My 5yo ate one and said ”mmmm” several times. Now I want to make sure and get more bananas so I can make them again! I think would actually prefer peanut butter over Nutella. I’m not a fan of syrup

Charlotte says:

Hi there! Im itching to try these! Just a quick question though, do you know what adding baking powder does to it? Curious to know what role technical role it plays! Also, I NEVER would have thought banana+eggs could turn out so beautifully just like real pancakes!! THANK YOU

Chris Foley says:

Wow, thanks for the yummy recipe! I’m not a major cook, but tried these after reading some other comments on other recipes. The little things you said about the consistency of the bananas, and the little bit of cinnamon were excellent! Mine turned out like your pictures, which was a huge surprise to me. I also threw in a tiny bit of vanilla extract just because I can’t leave anything alone. :) They were fantastic and my picky boyfriend agreed!

naralie says:

Score!!! All three kids loved them, even my egg hater. I love all the variations that have been suggested and cant wait to try some. Thanks for this great healthy alternative, now to convince the hubby… :)

mi says:

looks like a good idea – until all the gunk was dumped on top – I’ll be trying them as they are, thanks.

Uyen says:

SCORE! These silver dollar pancakes look just like your pictures, and tasted quite good! I was SO surprised, because I def doubted you there :) I can’t believe they tasted just like a French toast, perfect description. I made the BASIC pancakes (using only 2 eggs+ 1 ripe banana) because I didn’t have any other ingredients you’ve mentioned! How sad. But now, I definitely want to try that PB2 stuff, Blueberry agave, and nut butter. I’ve never tried those 3 before, but it sounds good, and seems like all the foodies here agree. Perfect treat when I have to rush out of the house for those crazy 6:00am clinicals. We (the starving and broke nursing students) would forever be grateful if you can post some more “2-4 ingredients” quick and easy breakfast recipes or perhaps an easy “mug recipes”. THANKS!!!!!

Kendra want says:

Tried these but they did not turn out. They tasted a lot like eggs. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kendra want says:

Ok so they taste like they are suppose to but they didn’t look a pancake in the end really want to get these to work just not sure how

Melissa says:

I tried these just now and they didn’t turn out at all

Holly W says:

So I was skeptical but I really wanted to try them and I really wanted success the first time! I carefully read through all the comments and followed several suggestions. I beat the eggs first before adding them to the well-mashed bananas and skipped the blender altogether. I also added 1/4 tsp. vanilla, 1/8 tsp. baking power, 1/8 tsp. cinnamon and 1 Tbsp. almond flour. Rather than cooking them over medium heat, I cooked them over medium-low to avoid any problems with overdone outsides and underdone middles. The first time I made them, I did several small pancakes on my large griddle. The next time I poured all the batter into my 10″ frying pan and made one large pancake. Both ways turned out very well. I served with fresh berries and pure maple syrup. Thanks for a great breakfast idea that goes well with my healthy eating goals!

Alison says:

I just made these with a egg whites! They were a bit harder to cook but I made it work! Topped with fresh strawberries and Justin’s hazelnut spread…. all I can say is OMG! I found my new favorite breakfast meal :P

AB says:

I think it could use a pinch of salt.

mgfrederic says:

Thank you for an awesome post, I actually tried your recipe today with a twist. I added sweet potatoes and raspberries. And I’m loving the maple almond butter! Hope I can find it around here :) I post my version of the pancakes on my blog if you want to check it out. Thanks again.

Alice Nelson says:

I made these and they were fabulous! I took some natural peanut butter and melted it for my sauce and it turned out great! Amazing and simple

Ritz S says:

Hi,

I tried these today and it taste good. But I only have one problem, it is too soft. I can’t make a “pancake” out of it. It’s always breaking in the middle. My kids didn’t touch it because it didn’t look like pancakes. Any tips?

Thank you!

Hullo there!
    Tried out your recipe and it was fantabulous! =)

Thanks for making my life easier haha.
    Just in case: http://mypinkrainbows.blogspot.com/2014/07/2-ingredient-baby-banana-pancakes.html

xoxo

Freya says:

Fantastic taste. Had them with rasberries and I am stuffed.
    Found them impossible to flip though. Any suggestions? Where I live theres no such thing as fat free cooking spray. Thanks!

ashley says:

Tryed it and it didnt work…i did it three times making sure that i did everything and it turned up like a omlet with bananna taste…didnt look like or taste like a pancake..

Daniele says:

Hey! I’ve just tested your recipe and it is amazing! OMG, I still cannot believe how good these pancakes taste! I spread just a little bit of almond butter on each pancake and ate them with fresh strawberries and blueberries. I also tried with a little bit of maple syrup (not too much because I’m on a diet) and the result was absolutely yummy.
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe… When you are on a low carb diet it is almost impossible to satisfy your sweet tooth! With these special pancakes you can eat something sweet without feeling guilty!

Rhonda says:

I just seen this recipe today and asked my Nutritionist about it. I was wondering how many calories, carbs, and protein was in it. I recently had gastric sleeve surgery so always looking for good recipes to fix. This sounds almost perfect. Thanks for sharing and cant wait to try them.

Anita says:

just to warn you that you shouldn’t eat canola oil. http://www.drgangemi.com/2011/07/canola-oil/ this is only a small bit info.

Clicq says:

Just stop with this stuff. As a librarian we have a saying “just because the internet has it, does NOT mean it is true”. Take any website that ends with .com and be even more critical than you would with say a .gov or .edu. In the case of the link you posted, the author is not an actual medical doctor- he is a doctor of Chiropractic and a homeopathic/nutritionist. In other words, to most intelligent people he is no more an authority on health issues or than you or I, or the guy on the bus this morning. If you feel like you don’t want to ingest canola oil- do not- your choice. But, please stop spreading disinformation and calling it fact (see here http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp) Check and verify sources, be critical of things you read on the internet and in your email and think for yoruself. /off soapbox
      Thank you for the recipe and all of the verification comments that this recipe does indeed work- I love them!

christine says:

Add almond extract to the batter before cooking. Its amazing.

Mohammed Aleef says:

Hi Sara i would like to inform you that under the nutritional values, you listed 1.2g per pancake size. is it referring to the 3” size ?

jackie says:

Made these a couple of days ago. They are amazing! I hate bananas and not a huge fan of eggs. Added vanilla instead of cinnamon. topped mine with white chocolate PB. My kids 9,7,4 are big fans too! If you have trouble making them turn the heat down and learn how to flip em quick. even if they dont turn out looking like perfect pancakes they will still taste good! About to make more right now. Going to experiment with adding hemp protein powder.

Diana says:

I made these last week (although I used directions from another site but I have a point i’ll get to about your great site) using only bananas and eggs, they were surprisingly good. I made them today and WOW what a failure! lol I added blueberries, cinnamon, baking powder and a little vanilla. They were gooey, would not hold their shape and it was pretty much like a blueberry/vanilla omelette. It tasted good and my husband liked it, but I had a hard time with it. (Although I ate it all. :D) I was really glad to read your post. I like your writing style. Your voice comes across like you are sitting across the table chatting with me. That said, I am sure I mashed my banana too much which I wouldn’t have suspected until reading here. Also, my first banana was a teeny bit green at the stem still and so made of firmer stuff than this brown freckled banana I used today. We’ve also decided to heat the blueberries separate so they don’t add all that moisture while the pancake cooks. Lastly, I have never heard of powdered peanut butter and I’m looking forward to experimenting with it to get beautiful pancakes like yours. Thanks for adding all the details that I couldn’t find anywhere else. I’ll be back to see what else you have to offer.

DP says:

I make these when I need something to put Hershey’s Special Dark syrup on.

Dean Robins says:

I made them with the yolks from the 3 eggs Where I only used the white parts. It was very good. I will try the conventional way with the two whole eggs. I did not need syrup or butter.

Danielle says:

Can u cook these on a gorge foreman

laportama says:

Eggs + banana = pancake, sort of.
    It’s doable and with practice should be more consistent.
    I can’t tell from my first Attempt, but I think the starchier the banana the better, that means less ripe. The consistency of the batter has to be homogenous. I’ll grant them this: they definitely look like pancakes and flip like pancakes as their being cooked. They don’t absorb but are the same as regular pancakes, but that’s okay. Most people will enjoy this. Glad I tried. I will do it again.

Flora says:

I tried these and now they are my preferred way to make eggs! Really great, like having French toast and pancakes at the same time. I like to add a bit of finely shredded coconut to the “batter” and have Greek yogurt with fruit on the side.

Amber says:

Any thoughts on making these with just egg whites? My daughter cannot have egg yolks! Thanks!

I’m not a big pancake lover but I do like to make them for the family. It’s the soggy bread thing that I don’t care for. But I’ve been known to put a nut butter on one and devour it while flipping the things. But I had an idea when a couple of comments mentioned that these were like crepes.
    How about making these for a dessert and using 2 Tbsp. of canned ‘no added sugar’ apple pie filling rolled up in the middle? I think the ideas could be endless.
    ps: Amber, If you’re using egg whites only, just double the amount of eggs for the recipe.

jenny says:

I think adding butter and syrup defeats the purpose here, for healthy and is EXTREMELY unnecessary! I find them so sweet from the banana itself. I put a little low carb yogurt and berries on top and they’re almost like a dessert!

Lisa says:

I have been trying to eat gluten and sugar free, because eating foods without these ingredients helps me to lose weight and feel better. I have been trying to teach my 12 year old son about eating healthy, as well. I started out making these pancakes, but didn’t really care for the consistency, plus I wanted him to eat them. I ended up tossing 2 eggs, 2 bananas, organic cocoa powder, PB2, baking powder, and unsweetened oats into a Vitamix. I added a few drops of stevia and these came out FANTASTIC! Gluten free. They rose like regular pancakes and my son LOVED them. He didn’t even know they were healthy!

Ohline says:

Will try this tomorrow morning :)Thank you!

Whitley says:

This were good. Next time I may add some ground oats or something to thicken it up a bit, but my toddler seemed to enjoy them. This will be something I add into our mix. Its quick, easy and still diet friendly.

Chris Fennell says:

Google “banana & egg pancakes” and your site was the first that came up that had an easy to use and search website, thanks for that lol. I love the recipe, I made them today for my hubby who is very health conscious. He loved them! He ate them with organic peanut butter and blue agave. Will definitely be making these again. ☺

Carol Hilland says:

I added 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal to the recipe and preferred it. Still no gluten and more pancake-like.

Liz says:

You could have made the banana and eggs look like a funny penis and you didn’t.

Beth minahan says:

You could have made the banana and eggs look like a funny penis but you didn’t.