Super easy sugar cookie bars from Our Best Bites In our house, everyone’s most-requested, all-time favorite treat is sugar cookies. These sugar cookies. If you’ve never made them, they are amazing–buttery, melt-in-your-mouth amazingness. The problem is that the chilling and rolling and cutting and re-rolling and re-cutting is messy time-consuming and requires fridge space and planning ahead and that doesn’t even take into account the subsequent decorating that has to take place. And then, people never want them at convenient times; they want them on Christmas Eve or birthdays or for their class the next day (when they remember to tell you at 10:30 pm) or at 2:00 in the morning (I’m pretty sure that was me when I was growing another human within me)–always at times when I have about 10 million things going on.

Sugar cookie bars solve so many of those problems–there is no chilling, no rolling, no cutting, no wasted precious dough, all the decorating is done in about 3 minutes, the mess is minimal. Plus, there is something so adorably festive and sentimental about them, even if it’s just frosting and sprinkles. Seriously, my friend pulled out a pan of sugar cookie bars at her Super Bowl party and people bypassed all sorts of fancy-schmancy desserts and went straight for the sugar cookie bars.

I’ve been so spoiled by our sugar cookie recipe that I wasn’t sure how I felt about using another recipe (actually, I was pretty sure how I felt about it and I didn’t feel good.) So I decided to try making our sugar cookie recipe into bars, crossing my fingers that I didn’t waste a whole pound of butter on a giant pan of fail. Luckily, these came out at LEAST as good as rolled cookies, and my kids were just as wildly excited (seriously–my two big kids, one of their friends, and the 1-year-old all saw them at the same time and shrieked with excitement). So it was a major win in every possible way.

For the cookies, you’re going to need softened butter, no substitutions!), sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, and 6 cups of flour. HEAR ME NOW AND BELIEVE ME LATER ($10 million if you catch that reference…just kidding…I don’t have $10 million dollars. But you’ll win my never-ending respect)–when you measure the flour, lightly spoon it into the measuring cups and level it with a knife. When you email us or leave us a comment that your dough was crumbly and didn’t come together, I can guarantee you that this is the problem because I’ve made the same mistake and I’ve seen exactly what happens when you scoop it out of the flour bag. Don’t do it. You will be sad. I will be sad. There’s enough sadness in the world without throwing sugar cookie tragedies into the equation.

sugar cookie bars from Our Best bites

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a half sheet-sized baking sheet (13 x 18 x 1″–I have 4 of these and I would die before I let anyone take them. Well, maybe not die, but I’d probably put up a good fight and then I’d be pretty bummed about the whole thing.) with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a bowl of a heavy-duty mixer or in a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and extracts and beat until combined.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

dry ingredients for sugar cookie bars

Add to the creamed butter mixture and mix to combine.

finished sugar cookie dough

Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet

sugar cookie dough on pan

and press the dough evenly into the baking sheet.

pressed dough in baking sheet

If desired, you can smooth it out with a rolling pin or a smooth drinking glass.

smooth dough on baking seet

Bake for 20-30 minutes (mine was done right at 25 minutes, but every oven is different) or until the top is lightly golden brown.

baked sugar cookie bars in pan

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

While the cookie bars are cooling, prepare the frosting. Place the butter, powdered sugar, and extracts in a large mixing bowl

fluffy buttercream ingredients in bowl

and whip together until combined. Very slowly, add a little bit of milk at a time until desired consistency is reached. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and beat until very light and fluffy.

sugar cookie buttercream frosting from Our Best Bites Sugar Cookie Buttercream Frosting from Our Best Bites

When the pan of cookies is cool, spread with frosting

frosting on sugar cookie bars

and sprinkle with colored sprinkles.

Super easy frosted sugar cookie bars from Our Best Bites

Cut into squares.

Super Easy Sugar Cookie Bars from Our Best Bites

The number of bars this makes will depend on how big you cut the squares, but these are VERY rich and you could probably get away with cutting these into 40+ squares.

Super Easy Sugar Cookie Bars from Our Best Bites

Also, just a side business-y note, we’re having some problems with our spam filter filtering out ALL the comments, not just the ones about increasing our manhood or how to get free free free sparkle boots. We’re trying to catch them, so if you don’t see your comment, it might not be showing up right away but it (hopefully) will show up as soon as we catch it in the spam filter. In the meantime, if you have a question about an older recipe, try emailing/Facebooking/Instagramming us and we’ll have a better chance of seeing it. :)

Patti says:

I loved the cute handprints before you smoothed out the dough! I don’t know how many times I have chosen NOT to make sugar cookies just because of the tedious rolloing-out process. Maybe next time you make these you could measure the flour by weight so we can get just the right amount. ❤️

Carly says:

Please don’t judge my level of pathetic here, but ever since your IG post today I have been jonesing (see what I did there? ;) to see what this post was going to be. I guess creamed butter and sugar speak to me. There’s nothing my lazy self loves more than cookie bars. All the deliciousness of cookies with minimal work? Yes, please. And can I tell you that your tip to spoon flour into the measuring cup has changed my baked goods? For reals. I have a whole lotta butter in my fridge that will be turned into sugar cookie bars tomorrow. Probably right after I get home from the gym. Ha! :)

MSB says:

It looks like you found a way to redeem making sugar cookies in my eyes! They are normally so time-consuming that just hearing the words “make” and “sugar cookies” together can cause tears, but these look very do-able for the holidays/special events when you want that yummy sugar cookie/lots of frosting-goodness! Thanks!!!

JConnolly says:

“There’s enough sadness in the world without throwing sugar cookie tragedies into the equation.”…please run for President and make this your campaign slogan!

This recipe is definitely on the menu for our Valentine’s Day bake sale fundraiser. Love your writing and your recipes(also, I would like to take a nap in that bowl of frosting…does that make me weird?)

I’ve never had a sugar cookie bar, but I’m totally drooling over all these pictures. Plus, pink frosting is awesome!! These are definitely going on my baking “to do” list.

Janet P says:

Yay! A sugar cookie my lazy-self can embrace! These will be perfect for our church fish fry Fridays during Lent!

Laura says:

I love obscure references! Hans and Frans? We’re going to pump (clap) you up!

10 million dollars would be great, but hey, it’s nice to know that other people retain useless information like I do! :)

Melissa says:

Okay – forgive me, but I don’t like almond extract. Even more than my dislike for almond extract is my dislike for dumb questions after a VERY WELL PUT TOGETHER blog post. I see these blogs on Pinterest with 6,000 comments of, “can I substitute this for this..” and I feel so bad for the person who has to respond with, “Yes, you can leave out mushrooms…blah, blah, blah..” Yet, here I shamefully go. If I don’t like almond extract, are these worth making, or is that where most of the flavor lies?

You can totally leave it out, haha. Just increase the vanilla a little. OR you can use your favorite extract if you want, like lemon, orange, peppermint, etc. :)

• I’m with Melissa, not wanting to make you repeat yourself- but I’m also very inquisitive, detail-oriented, and not fully confident in my baking/cooking know-how yet.
        So- to ask it slightly differently: I don’t mind the flavor of almond extract at all, and trust that your specific recipe makes them super delicious (I seriously want to make them this minute)! But all I have is a ton of homemade vanilla extract, so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be missing some other flavor dimension that was well-worth it to buy some Almond. Will they not be the same without it? Will I be missing out? Should I just go buy some almond extract already?

Question 2- I have some cage-free eggs, that are definitely not the standard store-bought ‘large eggs.’ Would 3 of these smaller eggs work, is there a good way to sub the egg measurement here? Or should I just buy some large eggs too…I kinda need to get more eggs soon anyway.
        Thanks so much for your time and help! I *can’t wait* to make these!!

• I love the almond, and I think it makes these special, BUT if you don’t have it and you’re dying to make them, go ahead with just the vanilla. :) But if you CAN, I’d go for the almond.

As far as the egg thing goes, I would maybe look up the standard measurement for a large egg and then try and shoot for the weight with your eggs. Or…go buy a thing of large eggs, hahaha. :)

• Hi again!
            So I didn’t get to them *that night,* but they’re in the oven now and the frosting is made. Yay! I have sprinkles ready but no food coloring, and so it occurred to me that I do have raspberry jam.
            Now I’m wondering if that would give it a little bit o’ pink and added flavor….or maybe a jam would completely ruin the texture of a frosting, or raspberry would taste weird with the extracts?
            If you get a minute- I’d love to hear your thoughts! :) Thankya!

• sara says:

in my humble opinion :) it is totally worth buying the almond extract!! that is what makes OBB sugar cookies sooo amazing!

• amelia says:

I don’t use almond flavoring because my daughter is allergic to tree nuts and I’m paranoid even though I know *artificial* flavoring would probably be fine. I subbed lemon juice for the almond extract in both the cookie bars and the frosting, and I also added a pinch of lemon zest to the bars. I think they turned out great…bright but not overpoweringly lemony. I’ll do them this way again, though I know almond would yield a richer-tasting product. Thanks for a great recipe!

Katie J says:

I have seen the idea for sugar cookie bars, but never could bring myself to make them because I love the recipe for your gals sugar cookies so much, I felt I would be betraying a friend. Now that I know this recipe turns out wonderful bars of heaven I am totally making these today! Thanks for making my day :)

Emilie says:

These are happening when I get home from work tonight.

Danielle says:

“I’m Hanz…and I’m Franz…And we’re here to PUMP you up!” That could be your slogan for these cookies but instead of pump insert plump because if I have all of the ingredients for them in my pantry I am about to eat a whole pan.

Trish says:

Can the recipe be halved and perhaps baked in a jelly roll pan?

Yep, I’m sure it could. I’m not totally sure on the timing, but my guess is that it would be surprisingly similar.

• Harriet B. says:

For what it’s worth, I halved the recipe and made in a 9 x 13 standard brownie-type pan. I did not adjust the time or temp and they turned out perfect!

Becky says:

You can’t lose with that much butter! I’ll have to make these when I need to feed a lot of people!

Robin B. says:

Random question…have you found a way to keep your cookie sheets clean? I have had mine for 15 years and maybe it’s just time for new ones. I have tried all kinds of Pinterest ideas to no avail. My husband thinks it’s time for oven cleaner on them but it grosses me out to think of cooking on them after that….

And, as always, thanks for the fabulous recipes!!

Not really, hahaha. And I’m with you, I’m not sure that psychologically I’d be okay with cooking on them after using oven cleaner. Some of them are a little more well-loved than others; but I guess the good news is that they’re cheap-ish, so it’s not devastating when it’s time to replace them. I just try to keep up with the gunk as I go (instead of never cleaning my cookie sheets, which is how I was raised. Thanks, parents.)

• Robin B. says:

Thanks! I see a Mother’s Day gift idea…which is always better than them trying to get me something on their own! :)

Kari says:

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Worked really well taking off the baked on gunk from my Le Cruset enamel. Test it on the underside, just in case it does damage. I think they’re pretty safe for most surfaces, though.

Amanda says:

Yum! I do have a serious case of the covets for your Le Creuset bowl.

Thesha says:

What a fantastic idea! I love your sugar cookie recipe but I’m with you on the whole ginormous process thing so I never make them. Now I will just make them like this and we will all be happy :).

Chris says:

Robin B., when my cookie sheets get too gunky, I just scrub them with a steel wool pad. It takes a little elbow grease, but it gets them back to almost as good as new. I’ve also started using parchment paper or silpat mats on them when I use them. I really love it when you can just throw away the parchment paper and put them away after a quick wipe with a towel.

Amanda Fenwick says:

You are seriously going to make me go broke on cute kitchen have-ta-haves! :) I love all of the pretty blues and pinks! and PS, these bars sound amazing!

Oh Gosh – you just saved my bacon! My husband wanted me to make sugar cookie pops for the 20+ cavemen he works with at a door shop (affectionately, but still cavemen, bless their hearts :) for V-Day, and I hate going to all that work for a bunch of guys who can’t tell the difference between Pillsbury refrigerator dough and homemade cookie pops that took hours to make, roll, bake, cool, and frost!

JEANNIE says:

Definitely want to try these! Have a baby reveal party coming up and these would be great with pink or blue sprinkles! Would it also be a good idea to SIFT the flour before measuring? or would that be overkill vs. just spooning lightly into the measuring cup? I’m certainly guilty of measuring straight from the canister!!
    Thanks for another easy recipe for a great cookie! I don’t like rolled cookies—just never have the time for all that goes with making them.

Stephanie says:

What is the texture of these? Soft, chewy?

Soft, kind of like soft shortbread. :)

• Lindsay says:

I should have read these comments to know what to expect! They looked so good so I made them tonight. They turned out good and the taste is yummy but you’re right about them being shortbread soft. I was hoping for a chewy bar but they’re a little more powdery than I prefer. Still good though that my husband asked for more! Thanks.

Megan L. says:

Oh Kate, you crack me up! Thank you for always being so real and making me laugh. Oh, AND thank you for this recipe! :)

Kayla says:

Just want to double check on the almond extract amount in the dough. It’s supposed to be a tablespoon, not a teaspoon? Usually I use less almond extract than vanilla in other recipes.

Yep, it’s right, promise! :)

• Kayla says:

I just made these for my son’s blue and gold banquet. You were spot on for the extracts. (No surprise to you) :) Thanks for a delicious alternative to the laborious task of sugar cookie-making. In the words of one of my (4) sons, “This is the best thing I’ve ever tasted!”

Amanda says:

Thank you so much for this! I cannot even express how much I loathe roll out cookies. LOATHE. While everyone else is posting pictures on FB in December with their child-decorated sugar cookies, I am either bribing mine with another drop cookie or breaking down and just straight up buying some from the grocery store. I love to bake but I can’t handle the roll out cookies! So, yeah, my lazy butt and my child thank you for these. ;)

DeeAnna says:

“…Maybe next time you make these you could measure the flour by weight so we can get just the right amount….”

Uh, any good cookbook will easily provide that translation. 1 cup all purpose flour = 5 ounces by weight. So the 6 cups in this recipe = 30 ounces by weight. And, yes, Kate’s method of spooning the flour lightly into the measuring cup gives precisely this weight.

Patti says:

A cup of flour can vary from 4.4 ounces to 5.5 ounces, depending on various factors, so it wasn’t an unfair question to ask Kate to give us her measurement of flour by weight.

Carrie says:

And I should mention I verrrrry cautiously measured with the spoon-knife method and still got cookies that were a bit on the dry side. Next time I will indeed weigh the flour just to be safe! I’d personally love a weighted measure for these!

Christine says:

Hanz and Franz make me giggle ’cause I can hear them in my head when I read that quote :-)
    Your sugar cookie dough is so amazing, I use it every time I need roll out cookies…. I made 8 dozen last year for Valentines day school parties, and this year had decided to do brownies or something else less time consuming ~ now I can have the best of both worlds, thanks for saving me! Thanks for sharing so much, I use your cookbooks and website probably at least 5 days a week, my friends are always impressed that I cook homemade meals so often, and I always give you and Sara credit :-)

Sara Wutzke says:

I love sugar cookie bars-excited to try your recipe for my little’s class party!

Dude, where were these at Christmas? I can see making up a few different colors of icing to pipe on them, and just giving out squares (tiny tiles??) for guests to decorate at a party. Maybe a friendly cookie-art competition? That could either be fun, or disastrous…but hopefully at least entertaining.

Janet Moran says:

I’m not much of a baker but these look great, I just bought everything I needed. (Although I’m going to top them with Valentines M&Ms!)

Michelle says:

I’m not really a fan of sugar cookies, but my husband has been nagging me for some. It seemed like so much work for a cookie I don’t even like! Then I saw these and thought, hey it’ll stop the nagging. OH MY HECK! These are AMAZING. You have totally converted me to sugar cookies. (My husband thanks you too)

Jade says:

THANK YOU!!! I don’t love the whole chill and roll and cut out part of sugar cookies…but being that they’re my hubbys face I try…but these are awesome and so so so easy!! Especially when I have leftover buttercream in the fridge needing a place to go !! :) I only made a quarter sheet just to try..about the same cooking time. Perfect!!!!

Elizabeth says:

I’ve been craving sugar cookies, and these look perfect! I think I’ll make them for my primary class so I don’t end up eating half the pan myself.

Candice says:

Would you be willing to do a weight measurement of the flour? I think that would help my OCD self to make sure I don’t do too much.

I would…but not tonight, hahaha. In the meantime, just grab a cereal spoon and just spoon out heaping spoonfuls (wow…could I say the word “spoon” more??) until the cup is heaping, then level it off. :)

Danielle Hale says:

How many ounces is a cup of flour “lightly spooned?” I think everyone “lightly spoons” bit differently, and I find the scale way easier and more consistent.

Rachel Packer says:

I’d like to add my voice to those asking for the weight of the flour. I use a kitchen scale as much as possible in my baking as I find it makes for much more consistent results. However I’m making these today whether you get around to the weighing of flour or not! Maybe it’s something you could consider for future baking posts? I know it would be appreciated by many.

heather r says:

I made these and they were great! Don’t stress about the weight of the flour, just spoon it in and then level it. Just watch them carefully in the oven; I took them out when they were barely, barely the lightest brown around the edges but NOT on top and they were perfect. I don’t love almond extract either, but the amounts are just right in this recipe!

Becca says:

Made these over the weekend and they are delicious. Problem is, I have gained 5 lbs from eating the entire pan. I need to stay away from your site the week of Valentines. Sugar cookies are my favorite cookie (and my weakness), therefore, Valentines is my favorite holiday. :)

Jill says:

So, I made these. The taste was phenomenal. But, the texture was not quite as phenomenal. They were just kind of dense. I promise that I spooned the flour!!! I followed the recipe to a tee!!! The only thing I can think of is that I over-mixed them. Is that a thing? Overmixing your cookies? (Sorry for such a rookie question)

Overmixing is totally a thing! :) That could be it. How fresh was your baking powder? That’s my best guess, but I can’t say for sure. :)

• Candee says:

It might be the brand of flour, too. My sister gave me some Gold Medal, I think it was, flour once (and now that I think about it, she should have known better!). I have only used White Lily flour in the past, and I could NOT get my biscuits to bake up normally. I finally threw the rest of the bag away!

Jeanelle says:

I made them yesterday and had no problem at all with the texture. I creamed the butter/sugar really well but stopped the mixer as soon as the flour was combined. Maybe that would help Jill for next time? My friends talked me into making cream cheese frosting but I’m trying yours next time. They were a huge hit so thank you!

Candee says:

A few things:

First: Ladies. Ease up. This is not rocket science. If you do anything *other than* plunge your measuring cup into the bag of flour and use whatever ends up in the cup, you will do fine. Folks have been baking without the benefit of weight measures forever. Some of my grandmother’s cookbooks list “butter the size of an egg”, for goodness’ sake. The fact that one should “scoop and level” should not be a baking revelation; it’s pretty basic baking protocol. Anyway, it will be good no matter what, to be honest. With a pound and a half of butter total, how can it not be?

Second: A pound. And a half. Of butter!!!!

Third: My family recipe for (homemade) slice & bake sugar cookies includes lemon zest and nutmeg. It’s awesome! Just throwing that out there for inspiration. I have been known to make it just to eat the (unpasteurized, potentially salmonella-filled) cookie dough. So good!

Sherri Erkel says:

I’m going to make these for Valentine’s using a heart-shaped cookie cutter and then the “scraps” as “broken hearts” or “Take a little piece of my heart” along with the pretty heart shapes…

Sherri Erkel says:

Update: I made these last night and used a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, pressed into the bars just after coming out of the oven and they came out perfectly! One pan made 36 hearts…and lots of “scraps” for me to eat. I may or may not have made myself just a litttttle sick on cookie last night.
      Also, the almond extract addition to sugar cookies? Life. changing. Thanks for another home run ladies!

Nan says:

I have four baking sheets of this size, too! I love them all, and would definitely miss one of them if it disappeared. I am considering buying another couple just in case someone did try to steal one. :) Thank you for your recipe for these that actually fits into this size pan. Other (inferior, I’m sure) sugar cookie bar recipes always seem to be for a 9×13 pan. That is not nearly enough yumminess to go around!

Amanda D says:

Just FYI, on your frosting instructions it doesn’t say when to put in the extract. I put it in with the butter and powdered sugar. Thanks for the inspiration to make a yummy Valentine treat!

Leah says:

I made these this weekend, and have heard nothing but good things ever since. (except for the part where I forgot to tell my nut-allergy friend that there was almond extract in them…agh!!) They are delish!! And I may never go back to making rolled out cookies.

Kelsie says:

Yum! I have made sugar cookie bars before and I loved how easy it was but the recipe I used wasn’t amazing but I love your sugar cookie recipe so I am excited to try it this way! Thanks for being so awesome!

Megan says:

Okay, lame question, but would a half recipe work in a 9×13 Pyrex? I only have one pound of butter in the fridge and am not going out again in time to pick more up. I love this idea, I hate cutting and frosting 50 individual cookies!

Not lame at all! Lame would be, “So I’m out of butter, could I substitute a pound of applesauce??” Anyway. Yes, you can totally make half a recipe in a 9×13″ pan. :)

• Megan says:

They turned out great! I did have to bake them the full 30 min even though it was a smaller batch. Probably because of my clear glass pan though. They were a hit at my baby sisters mission call opening!

• Eleanor B says:

Thanks for trying this out, Megan! I’m thinking of trying the half batch, after failing How To Read 101 the first time I tried this. ;)

Gail says:

Have you thought about listing the flour by weight instead of volume? This would produce a more reliable measure. Once I started baking by weight (bc of Alton Brown’s Baking Book), I found my results more predictable. If the flour is a big issue, this could help! Weigh the flour, then also fluff it up with a whisk before putting it in? Just a thought.

Suzy says:

Have you found it possible to overbeat this frosting? I accidentally let it go a little too long, and though the flavor was ok the texture was weird. It almost seemed to become a waxy consistancy. Tis odd because everything I have read online seems to indicate that it isn’t possible to overbeat buttercream…

Kahlia says:

I just made these today and they turned out amazing! So yummy!!

Christine says:

I made these for Valentines Day and they were a big hit

Jolie says:

I almost never leave comments, and I never leave a “great recipe! I just changed everything about it” comment. But. I made these yesterday, and I may or may not have been trying to both watch Downton Abbey and read the recipe on my iPad, which involves switching the screen and apparently not reading closely. Because I read “2 cups butter” as 2 sticks of butter. And so that’s what I used. And then I might have been distracted while I was scooping and leveling my flour (because of something with Lady Mary, or Anna, or someone) and I couldn’t remember if I was on five or six, so I stopped and figured I see how the dough looked. Anyway. It all mixed together, pressed into the pan nicely, and baked up wonderfully. And while making the frosting I only used 1 stick of butter, because that’s how my buttercream icing recipe goes. And can I say, those cookies are still yummy! In fact, I didn’t suspect anything was off at all until I flipped to the recipe again today and noticed that my butter measurement was way off! So, long story short, if the pound of butter is freaking you out, you could cut it down and use one cup less of flour. (I think. ;)) I am now, however, wondering how much richer these cookies would be with more butter…

Eleanor B says:

I did this, too, with 2 sticks vs 2 cups (I think I skipped down to the ingredients for the frosting). They turned out great. I was thinking while mixing that the dough looked a bit dry, for all that butter, but it wasn’t til they were cooling that I re-read and flipped out a bit. But they were still very delicious! I am going to try the recipe the way it’s written, still, although I’m going to try Megan’s idea of making a half pan in my Pyrex. I didn’t frost the first batch, so I’m definitely frosting this one. At least you have the excuse of an engrossing TV show, Jolie; I was singing Disney tunes and punk rock anthems with my cat, so should have been able to concentrate properly. ;)

• Eleanor B says:

Oh, the one thing I noticed about less butter is that it did stick, just a Little Bit, but not enough to ruin the cookie. :)

• Jolie says:

I didn’t notice any sticking because I lined my pan with parchment paper–I did that little trick where you leave some overhang so that you can lift the whole thing out of the pan once it’s cooled (and frosted, in this case), which made it a cinch to slice and serve. I actually really liked the cookie base on this with the 2 sticks of butter. I think I must have used just five cups of flour, which basically made this very close to the sugar cookie dough I usually make. The cookies were thicker than my rolled-out ones, but still nice and chewy and flavorful and not at all dry or crumbly. And certainly not cakey (blech).

Glad I’m not the only one who misread the recipe!

Tammy says:

I made them. They were epic. My advice–just use vanilla extract.
    That way all of the kids will eat them and you won’t have to buy new pants.

Ellen says:

Mmmhmm. A giant pan of fail is what I got when I tried using a different recipe. But YOUR’S!?? They turned out so perfect and exactly what I was looking for. I made them twice this last weekend for valentine parties and they were a hit all around. THANKS!

OMG, what a terrific idea. I love sugar cookies. I bake a lot of cookies, but avoid the ones I have to roll out. Boy Howdy, problem solved! I wish I had read this post prior to Valentine’s Day. Oh well—it’s all good.

Sylvia Costa says:

In this recipe there is almond extract, but there is someone in my house that is allergic to almonds. Would it be alright to not use the almond extract?

Selena McCullough says:

This is what my daughter chose for to take to her class for her birthday tomorrow, with green icing of course. I made them and we sampled them (you know to make sure they were ok before sharing) and they are AWESOME!! I’ve been using your sugar cookie recipe for a while now (and have gotten much praise) but this is SO much easier that we may be making bars from now on. Bravo and thank you!

Holly says:

Made these as St Patrick’s Day treats for my department (with green icing and sprinkles of course!) And they were a big hit. I love that they are super easy to make and take. I think I might try lemon extract in the bars and frosting sometime.

Katie says:

In case anyone is still looking at these comments, I made these cookies as written and liked them (and got rave reviews from everyone who tried them). But the texture was a little too shortbread-y for my taste, so I tried splitting the dough in half and pressing it into 2 jelly roll pans instead (13×18), and it was perfect! It is more the thickness of a “regular” sugar cookie, and it goes twice as far if you need to make a bunch of cookies at once. I have made it many times since, either the full recipe in two pans or half the recipe in one pan. Love it!

Becki says:

Katie, this is exactly what I was wondering. And yes, I was still looking through the comments to see if anyone had done what you did. Glad to know it works!

Emilie says:

I made this for a Baby Shower tonight. I think I may have inadvertently sold 20 of your cookbooks in the process. AMAZING!

Katherine says:

Just made these today for a Father’s Day luncheon at church. The cookies were good – much like a soft shortbread, I agree. But the frosting was AH-MAZING! I used the listed recipe for frosting, and used evaporated milk as suggested, and I’ve never had frosting so good! I’ll never go back to my other frosting recipes.