Posted in Condiments, Kate, No-Cook

carolina_bbq_sauce-6 square I have always been a lover of barbecue sauce. From the time my mom and I went to Wendy’s for the first time after a rained-out elementary school carnival and I dipped my first chicken nuggets in my first barbecue sauce ever, I have been ensnared by its sweet, sweet spiciness.

As I got older, my tastes matured (well, my taste in barbecue sauce and romantic comedies…in other realms, I’m hopelessly…um…childlike) and I kind of fell in love with mustard-based barbecue sauces. They’re spicy and tangy and bright and the perfect match for the natural sweetness in pork. Or chicken. Or tiny licks from a spoon. Whatever.

I adapted this South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce from Cook’s Country. Although I totally respect their extensive testing process, I scaled back a little on the hot sauce and the Worcestershire Sauce because I found the flavors overwhelming, but, the beauty in starting out small is that you can always add more if you want (the strength of those flavors will depend a lot on the brands of sauces that you use.) It has become one of our family favorite–it literally comes together in just a few minutes, my husband is a huge sucker for sweet mustardy anything, and it’s delicious mopped onto grilled meats as as a sauce on grilled chicken sandwiches or chicken nuggets.

South Carolina BBQ SAuce You’re going to need yellow mustard, brown sugar, white vinegar, hot sauce (like Tabasco), Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.

carolina bbq sauce ingredients Have weever talked about how brown sugar is one of, like, my top 5 things in the universe?

brown sugar

Ever since I was little, The simple pleasure of patting brown sugar into a cup and then it holding its shape when I dump it out brings me infinite joy. I’m a tiny bit weird.

Now this is fairly tricky. Combine all the ingredients.

carolina_bbq_sauce-3

carolina_bbq_sauce-4

Whisk them together. And you’re done. We drizzle this on Kalua Pork or brush it onto ribs or Fauxtisserie Chicken (or rotisserie chicken from the grocery store)–my favorite is to add just a little while it’s still cooking and then serve it on the side (or drizzle it on pulled pork or chicken sandwiches (if I’m planning on using the leftover meat for something else, I’ll reserve some that doesn’t get any sauce.)

South Carolina Mustard Bardbecue Sauce

Heather says:

What a great recipe- all pantry staples! I can’t wait to try it!

Jaime says:

Looks delicious!! Will definitely be making it this week to go with our smoked pork! Where did you get those awesome measuring cups?

Cheltsy says:

I have been looking for a good BBQ sauce and can’t wait to try this out! Thanks so much!

I LOVE Carolina style mustard sauce. It’s so amazing on the pulled pork!

Jim says:

I was raised on Mustard Sauce 45yrs. & I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh had a major population boom of southerners between 1930-1960. Woodside’s owners were from the south. A little BBQ joint named Woodside that closed it’s doors in 1995 Was King! Everyone put that sauce on EVERYTHING! Ribs, Pulled Pork & Fried Chicken.
    DELICIOUS! P.S. I’ve reviewed a lot of recipes online but your recipe is the ONLY ONE that resembles the real deal. The secret is to achieve the darkness !!!WITHOUT THE KETCHUP or Tomato Paste!!! You nailed it! Great job Kate!

Christine says:

Oh my gosh, Trader Joe’s makes a similar sauce called Carolina Gold Barbeque Sauce that my husband and I are obsessed with. I’m so excited to try this recipe!

anna says:

Oh I am so trying this one. Decades ago we had neighbors who made the most delicious sauce for grilling chicken and they would not share the recipe. We new mustard was involved, so maybe…

Anna says:

I can’t make this and it’s really bumming me out. I love mustard BBQ sauce too! But I have a newborn and let’s just say that things that color do not look like food to me these days. Maybe in a few months.

michele says:

This doesn’t have anything to do with the yummy recipe above, but I was wondering how to get the our best bites app. I had it once, it didn’t work and I deleted it, then I noticed my mom had it and it worked on her iPad.
    Thanks.

Holly says:

What is the meat in the picture with the sauce on it? This looks so good, I need it now!

Sherri says:

This recipe is the epitome of why I love your blog: Having lunch at my desk yesterday at work and looked on the OBB site (a M/W/F ritual) to find this recipe. Immediately, I knew I would be able to transform the longely whole chicken in my fridge waiting to be roasted into something special. When I got home, my 5 year-old helped me whip it together, proclaimed it to be “terribly good!” and my family raved about it! Paired with cornbread and coleslaw and voila! Wednesday night dinner was a hit.
    Thank you for always giving us reliable, easy, and delicious recipes to infuse our boring weeknight meals with excitement!
    Sherri

I don’t have a recipe like this in my book of tricks. In fact I don’t think I even knew mustard bbq sauce existed. Well I guess that why one takes the time to read food blogs. I am pinning this one. I don’t want to lose track of it. Thank you.

TaMara Freeman says:

I’m from SC and ran out of our beloved sauce. I tried the recipe and it was dead on it! Loved it! Thanks for saving our dinner tonight (and all of the other nights we use your recipes)!!!

Danielle Hale says:

I think brown sugar makes everyone feel that way, well at least most of us :)

Nikki says:

I just made this and it DELICIOUS. I also tried it with a little added honey, and it was great! It provided just a tiny bit of sweetness to balance the mustard and vinegar. I think this is going to be my new go to!

Klair says:

I was wondering how long this can sit? I want to make it for fathers day for my dad :)